Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Grammatical errors on articles.

leshtricityleshtricity Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 231

Really, I'm not a grammar nazi, but it's embarrassing. Today on the frontpage alone I counted three. That's not even including the article itself- just the headlines.

Most people might not care but it's kind of strange; I'm not a professional writer or anything, but these mistakes are so basic I honestly wonder if your writers and contributors have had any formal training in composition.

the official MMORPG.com deadhead

Comments

• Shade0oShade0o Member UncommonPosts: 46

oo, never pay attenion to the titles, they misleading. gota read small part of the text to see if ya wana read it, but i dont care about grammer in forums or games..

save that for the work place

The above post is all opinion and should not be taken as a sign that anyone else agrees with it.
    Nor that the grammar and spelling involved will be up to your standards.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by leshtricity

Really, I'm not a grammar nazi, but it's embarrassing. Today on the frontpage alone I counted three. That's not even including the article itself- just the headlines.
    Most people might not care but it's kind of strange; I'm not a professional writer or anything, but these mistakes are so basic I honestly wonder if your writers and contributors have had any formal training in composition.

If you could PM  or e-mail me your examples, I can make sure it gets to the appropriate people.

• leshtricityleshtricity Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 231
    Originally posted by MikeB

Originally posted by leshtricity

If you could PM  or e-mail me your examples, I can make sure it gets to the appropriate people.

The errors are very widespread.

I'm not going to go back and pick through the articles, but here's an example I just came across:

"Published in 19665, Frank Herbert's Dune is considered by many to be one of the forefathers of modern science fiction. Having spawned numerous adaptations including: video games, a movie, two television miniseries, prequels and more, Dune is one of the better known sci-I IPs."

And I'm sorry Jefferson, why are you here? Grammatical errors are kind of a big deal on a news website, which I'm guessing MMORPG.com fancies itself, yes? What if CNN.com or any other major news outlet had so many simple and avoidable errors littering every single one of their articles? They'd be ridiculed. Just because this is a gaming site does not, in my mind, mean they should be held to a lower standard. Unless you're cool with promoting idiocy and projecting an entirely unprofessional disposition. I came here voicing a fully legitimate concern and you're trolling me. Seriously, piss off.

the official MMORPG.com deadhead

• DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

With the volume we post in real time, there will be errors, but we're always out to find them.

All we ask is that if you are going to point them out, you tell us where they are! :)

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com
    Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios