Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not sure

Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

So its summer and im looking for a good game to play, my initial choices were wow,lotro,aoc and spellborn. Aoc and spellborn i guess i could play later on aswell since there new games and if i play them after like a year more content, bug fixes would be done. Now im left with wow and lotro and as you might have guessed i dno what to play, one major thing is that im looking forward to playing aion so i don't want to ruin it for myself by playing simmilar games.

I've never played any of the games but from what i know:

wow: addicting, immersive,creative graphics, quests are kinds pointless, good lore, amazing gameplay, fun raids, dosent get boring fast

lotro: can be addictive, immersive, very realistic and beautiful graphics,games selling point is quests, lore is amazing, gameplay is simmilar to any other game, no pvp, really good community

Now i was wondering what does lotro do differently than wow  and why i should pick lotro. Also whats the game like, as in quest mostly while grinding, lvl to cap then do raids, grind quests and do dungeons and stuff like that.

Comments

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

they both have free trials, try both and see which you like best

I miss DAoC

• lornjlornj Member Posts: 334
    Originally posted by Gabby-air

lotro: can be addictive, immersive, very realistic and beautiful graphics,games selling point is quests, lore is amazing, gameplay is simmilar to any other game, no pvp, really good community

There is PvP. Its in the ettenmoors. like the above poster said, try out the free trials.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440
    Originally posted by lornj

There is PvP. Its in the ettenmoors. like the above poster said, try out the free trials.

So is that like actual pvp or just an arena where people can duel each other?

I only try trials to check out graphics and controls since most games have the actual gameplay start at higher lvls thus why i made this thread.Another question, when you buy mines of moria do you get the entire game or just the expansion?

• the only advantage LOTRO has compared to WoW is the lore and for some people the different graphic style.

My personal experience was, that i found WoW boring after 3-4 months and LOTRO after 6-7 weeks.

How much time do you have to kill before the game you really want to play releases?

• DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco Member Posts: 1,757
    Originally posted by Snorf

the only advantage LOTRO has compared to WoW is the lore and for some people the different graphic style.
    My personal experience was, that i found WoW boring after 3-4 months and LOTRO after 6-7 weeks.
    How much time do you have to kill before the game you really want to play releases?

So you're saying you can determine when he will get bored if he plays LOTRO, and also if he plays WOW.

Wow man, I wanna learn that skill :D

BTW, you screwed your own logic. If you played Lotro first and wow second, do you seriously think the 3-4 months and 6-7 weeks would not be the other way round...  be honest, to yourself too :)

My 2 cents.

DB

Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Very true.. if you haven't played either WoW or LotRO then what would matter how similiar they are? ... I will echo others... try the free trials. Personally I like both about the same, just for different reasons. It's all a matter of opinion.

Don't let others tell you what to pick when you can try them both out for free. If you couldn't I would understand, but ya can... Anyway i'm sure you'll enjoy yourself no matter which game you pick.

• seeyouspacec0wboyseeyouspacec0wboy Member UncommonPosts: 714

Although I have moved on from WoW I believe you are doing yourself an injustice as an MMO player by not at least trying this game. Its a wonderful game, especially for a summer fling. I played it from release until about 6 months ago. 

Originally posted by Scagweed22
    is it the graphics? the repetativenesses? i mean what is the point? you could be so much more productive in real life
    Real life brings repetition and pointlessness too. The only thing real life offers is Great graphics. Its kinda expensive too and way to dependent on the cash shop. Totally pay to win as well. No thank you. Ill stick to my games.

• Originally posted by DonnieBrasco

Originally posted by Snorf

the only advantage LOTRO has compared to WoW is the lore and for some people the different graphic style.

So you're saying you can determine when he will get bored if he plays LOTRO, and also if he plays WOW.

Wow man, I wanna learn that skill :D

BTW, you screwed your own logic. If you played Lotro first and wow second, do you seriously think the 3-4 months and 6-7 weeks would not be the other way round...  be honest, to yourself too :)

My 2 cents.

DB

No that is not what i said, it is why i put the words "my personal experience" in front - i thought that would make it clear that it is a biased single persons subjective personal view. Perhaps you do not need skill in seeing the future but in reading forum posts and common sense?

Also i did not screw my own logic, what you say might be true or not, it is irrelevant for the fact that the games are both good enough to kill time. The OP is not intrested in them as a long term hobby anyway so what i was trying to say was: for what you want (a time killer until aion comes out) you can not do anything wrong.

So take your 2 cents and buy some ice cream.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Don't play wow, you won't stop playing for a long time with their treadmill.

Lotro kinda forces you to play it very little.

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

So is that like actual pvp or just an arena where people can duel each other?
    I only try trials to check out graphics and controls since most games have the actual gameplay start at higher lvls thus why i made this thread.Another question, when you buy mines of moria do you get the entire game or just the expansion?

The Pvp area is a self contained region where you can create a Free people (Freep) or (monster) Creep.  They have quests for the Creeps I know, those allow your monster to become stronger.  It's open Pvp, you find someone of the other side and you can just go for it.

In the regular game they have sparring, which would be like duels without death.

Free Trials - for LotRO the free trial comes without any level restrictions, so you can go as high as you want in the 10 day window.  You won't be able to use the Tell, Mail or Auction House systems, but everything else is open to you.

I'd say LotRO is one of the few games where what you see at the start is pretty much the same as you'll see higher up.  Oh they'll be more quests available, more choices, better gear and of course the newbie missions will be geared to teaching you the game mechanic's, but other than that, what you see is what you'll get.  So in this case a free trial will be of help to you.

If you buy the game (digital or box) on Turbines site the 2 choices are complete game with expansion and collectors edition of the game with expansion.  If you go to a store, than you may actually find some old Mines of Moria expansion boxes (need actual game to play).  Generally the write up should tell you and they are having an anniversary sale of it on the Turbine site.  $9.99 till the end of the month for the original game Shadow of Anguar and the Mines of Moria expansion.  Once you're in the game you'll get the patches (they call them books) for free.  Book 8 just went live yesterday.

Never played WoW so I can't comment on the pro/con's of the 2.  I will say that with LotRO the STORY is very important.  If you don't like to read the quest/mission write up's than the game will suck for you as you won't be getting anything out of it.  The O-boards have numerous posts basically asking 'What's so special about the game?  I don't get it.' and it turns out they're just taking the missions without reading and so don't have a clue how the puzzle all fits together.  Without the story reads, than it's very much just a kill X animals or go fetch this. 

I'll give you an example;  Base mission I'm currently doing - kill X orc's of this type and X orc's of that type.  Nothing special there.  But with the story line now it's the Orc's are pushing down from the North.   Have trashed town X and are trying to link up with a local bandit group.  Your mission if you decide to accept it Mr. Phelps is to stop the orc invasion by ...... and the mission after that will build on it etc... etc..... Yes they have some not so good one's but generally the writing for the game is some of the best I've seen with good story arc's tying it together.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• thedgethedge Member Posts: 46

I would give both a good try before you buy. I have played them both through end game as well as several other mmo's, I enjoy LOTRO the most for a few reasons.

The epic story quest line in LOTRO draws most people in and separates the game from other mmo's. I know a few that don't care for it much, but most people love it and they keep improving it as they go with free book updates every few months.

End game in LOTRO isn't quite the boring grind chore as WoW. Although there isn't as much end game raid content as WoW, it certainly doesn't bore you to death with the grind and seems more involving rather than straight mechanics.

Group play in LOTRO also feels more like a group and more strategic than WoW. WoW use to be better but since BC it mostly feels like a bash fest and then boss mechanics. LOTRO just feels more about the group involvement and using everyone's unique abilities at times to get the job done.

The overall lore of LOTRO just feels better and realistic to a degree. WoTLK expansion in WoW added more engrossing lore to the game but some of it is still just out there for me.

That is most of the differences for me that make LOTRO a better choice. The are both excellent mmo's and you can't go wrong with either, but most mmo's come down to end game in the long run and these two feel very different in end game. I will also say that some of the solo questing in WoTLK is some of the finest I have ever experienced in any mmo, and is surpasses non mmo rpg questing as well.

Hope this helps, enjoy!

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

Something to think about is that there really is NO end game in LotRO yet.  The story line is only 1/3? of the way threw.  Currently there is a level cap, but I'd think that would get raised as the game progresses.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• beaverzbeaverz Member Posts: 660

I'd say go for lotro but get into a guild ( kin) as soon as you can.

Since all the old timers have a few alts being in a decently big guild will guarantee that you'll have people to help you.

The lvl cap being higher in wow you'll have to play more to be able to join the raiding people.

I'm not a no life that sits in front of his computer all day long, I'm an intern that sits in front of his computer all day long.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

I do like engaging quests but so far in the trial im at dwalin hunting for goblins(server went down when i was going to quest more ) and well i guess the only thing that makes this game different that the rest of the "wow clones" are the quests and in a recent game i played, atlantica online it also had a very good lore and engaging quests so i kind of know what to expect.I'll play for another 5 hours just to make sure i dont leave too early though.Thanks alot for the input guys ;)