Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Play-styles T or F?

EronakisEronakis Member UncommonPosts: 2,248

I had a very interesting conversation the other day. I was talking to a friend who plays WoW and he wanted to know about my mmo classes. So I told him about the designs and play styles of them. He was pleased however, he said there are no talent system in there to ensure that you have some choices of how you want to play your class.

Then I defended my idea by saying that the talent system in wow actually hinders the depth of the class. My friend retorted and said that the talens give you choices of how you want to play your class to your play style. I said that is not true to a certain extent because in any class base game you will always play to the designers style for that class. The only play style that is certain is the type of class/role you want to play.

Only in a sandbox game where a player can truely fit to his OWN play style. I simply made this thread to see if anyone else stays on the same side of the fence as I. And please don't make this about how any particular game or how a class/skilled base game is better than the other. Simply discuss if you agree or disagree with my assesment here.

Comments

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

Use of paragraphs is highly beneficial in making a salient point.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Eronakis

I had a very interesting conversation the other day. I was talking to a friend who plays WoW and he wanted to know about my mmo classes. So I told him about the designs and play styles of them. He was pleased however, he said there are no talent system in there to ensure that you have some choices of how you want to play your class. Then I defended my idea by saying that the talent system in wow actually hinders the depth of the class. My friend retorted and said that the talens give you choices of how you want to play your class to your play style. I said that is not true to a certain extent because in any class base game you will always play to the designers style for that class. The only play style that is certain is the type of class/role you want to play. Only in a sandbox game where a player can truely fit to his OWN play style. I simply made this thread to see if anyone else stays on the same side of the fence as I. And please don't make this about how any particular game or how a class/skilled base game is better than the other. Simply discuss if you agree or disagree with my assesment here.

I think you are wrong. More choices = more play styles. Talent trees give more choices. How acn they be limiting play style comaring to your class system that has no talent trees?

Do you have skills customization in your classes? It basically boils down to choices.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Well you can always make the character suit your play style, for example in many games warriors have a choice between 1h sword,axe,mace etc same with 2h so they only learn skills suited for there weapon/build or you could make like a shaman tank as in you max your healing and defensive spells instead of healing people which the dev designed the class to do. I guess that works but it depends on your opinion also i might have missed the point of the thread completely.

• EronakisEronakis Member UncommonPosts: 2,248
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

I had a very interesting conversation the other day. I was talking to a friend who plays WoW and he wanted to know about my mmo classes. So I told him about the designs and play styles of them. He was pleased however, he said there are no talent system in there to ensure that you have some choices of how you want to play your class. Then I defended my idea by saying that the talent system in wow actually hinders the depth of the class. My friend retorted and said that the talens give you choices of how you want to play your class to your play style. I said that is not true to a certain extent because in any class base game you will always play to the designers style for that class. The only play style that is certain is the type of class/role you want to play. Only in a sandbox game where a player can truely fit to his OWN play style. I simply made this thread to see if anyone else stays on the same side of the fence as I. And please don't make this about how any particular game or how a class/skilled base game is better than the other. Simply discuss if you agree or disagree with my assesment here.

I think you are wrong. More choices = more play styles. Talent trees give more choices. How acn they be limiting play style comaring to your class system that has no talent trees?

Do you have skills customization in your classes? It basically boils down to choices.

I think you misunderstood. Your player style has to fit what the designer implements into the class. The only  thing that a designer cant control is what type of class you play. Yes I have lots of choices of how a class can play. But I do not limit them via the talent system. Like I said, the only true way a player can have their own play style is with a sandbox mmo.

Originally posted by ianubisi

Use of paragraphs is highly beneficial in making a salient point.

Happy?

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Either system can be done well.
    Either system can be done poorly.

Personally I prefer structured games to sandboxes. Games are structured entertainment to me, and the best aspects of sandbox games (things like crafting) can be had in structured games. Structure infers certain restrictions on what you can/can't do (and part of the fun is usually trying to figure out how to offset those restrictions -- such as grouping with classes whose roles offset your weaknesses.)

So yeah, the advancement options are more constrained in WOW. But as long as I feel there's enough playstyle variety in a game (and with 10 classes times 3 playstyles, WOW has enough) then that's fine.

FWIW, WOW's 20+ viable playstyles probably exceeds the number of viable builds in whatever MMO you're referring to (although this is an unfair comparison, due to the vast amount of resources Blizz is able to expend on balancing things.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

Sometimes I think it is we the players who are the issue. NUmerous players and guilds enforce rules that X class must  be played with X talents. Obviously this is the issue in WoW (Before the dual talent) more than other games.

Originally posted by Czzarre

Sometimes I think it is we the players who are the issue. NUmerous players and guilds enforce rules that X class must  be played with X talents. Obviously this is the issue in WoW (Before the dual talent) more than other games.

Aye I agree, that adds some flavor to this.

• EbonyflyEbonyfly Member Posts: 255

I think a sandbox game can offer a greater variety of playstyles but not necessarily the same level of depth.

One of the few advantages of a class system is that the developers can create intricate or unique game mechanics for each class. That is much harder to pull off if players can select skills in any combination from a large pool.

In WoW, for instance, Druids have the shapeshifting mechanic, Warriors have battle stances and rage, rogues have stealth and energy, warlocks have a whole system of bartering health and souls for mana and spell abilities etc etc. I can't imagine how you would combine and balance all these mechanics if players could create warlock/priest/druids or whatever, so I think the skill mechanics would generally have to be more generic. 

It's true that you are limited in choice by the classes offered but, on the other hand, if you find a class that appeals to you it can work very well.  

• dragon1613dragon1613 Member Posts: 125

I had a very interesting conversation the other day. I was talking to a friend who plays WoW and he wanted to know about my mmo classes. So I told him about the designs and play styles of them. He was pleased however, he said there are no talent system in there to ensure that you have some choices of how you want to play your class.
    Then I defended my idea by saying that the talent system in wow actually hinders the depth of the class. My friend retorted and said that the talens give you choices of how you want to play your class to your play style. I said that is not true to a certain extent because in any class base game you will always play to the designers style for that class. The only play style that is certain is the type of class/role you want to play.
    Only in a sandbox game where a player can truely fit to his OWN play style. I simply made this thread to see if anyone else stays on the same side of the fence as I. And please don't make this about how any particular game or how a class/skilled base game is better than the other. Simply discuss if you agree or disagree with my assesment here.

I really don't see how you can even defend your point to be honest. Maybe I am misreading or just too tired but I see a clear winner. With the talent system in place for a class, you can freely change between diffrent play styles as compared to the system you prefer that you are limited to only one play style from the get go. For exemple, a warrior in WoW can be tank or Dps. Your warrior on a specific game might just be pure tank and no dps. Therefore you are limited to one play style per class compared to WoW where you can freely change when you want.

Correct me where I am wrong of if I misunderstood something?

Dragon1613 says:asdfasdfafsdfw111111123123123213

-server-Dragon1613 has died