Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Out of Date PC?

Gamer_17Gamer_17 Member Posts: 202

I bought my Computer almost a year and a half ago and havnt really looked at new technology since, but was wondering how out of date it is, im currently playing lord of the rings online but would like it to be compatible for future gaming of Star wars and Final Fantasy 14. I know they havnt release any hardware details yet but wondering where i sit with my current PC and what are some needed and cheap upgrades I could use

- 320 Gb Hard Drive 7200 RPM Sata 3.0 gb/s 16mb cache

- Intel Core duo E6850 at 3.00 Ghz

- 3 G.B duel Channel DDR2 memory

- Visita 32 bit OS

- 512 MB Nvidia GeForce 8800GT

- Sound Card intergrated 7.1 channel audio

- Single disc 16x cd/dvd

Just thought id post and see if there is anything cheap and afordable, or if it should be fine for next years batch of mmo's played at medium settings (lowest ill go) and my memory ive seen alot of computer adds selling at 6GB of DDR3 memory now

Thanks again for your help

Comments

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

to play next years MMORPGs that'd be fine, as to upgrade advice bar a new system I'd say the CPU could be upgraded to an E8400. Next the OS could be upgraded to Windows 7 64 bit when released or RC now until release, then onto 4GB of RAM. Myself I'd save up the cash and get a completely new system rather than upgrading that but it all depends on your finances I suppose.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

Best advice to anyone looking to upgrade a PC right now- wait just a little longer.

Intels i7 chips are fantastic, and the i7 920 (2.66ghz quadcore) is retailing for little more than teh e8400 did when -it- first came out. The only real problem is expensive mobos, and they're slowly coming down. Bt the time Intel releases the next gen "i" chips, the first gen i7's will be reasonable, and they perform far better than even the 45nm Wolfdale/Yorkshire chips, dollar for dollar.

As the guy above me mentioned, get 7 64 bit, even if it's just the release candidate. I've had 7 since the beta started and I haven't been this satisfied with a Microsoft product since XP first came out. Then up your RAM, also as mentioned.

Your graphics card is decent, but I'd recommend moving to the 200 series if you want to stay Nvidia. A 250 or 260 would be a nice upgrade, reasonable in price, and easily be transferrable to a new PC when you're ready to make that step.

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Grapics card is outdated for modernday single player games.  mmo's  its fine for

You still got a setup that cant be beaten by mutch by any new tech system.

a E8400 ? bleh.. you can overclock it better but it stays the same basic ghz.. 3.0

I got a E8400 , 4gb mem, 500hdd, and a 3870x2 and play any and every game at full resolution (26" 1920*1080)

Upgrading now would be a total waised of money.

Best there is atm are the new I7/I5 but those are gamers hells. to fully use that system you need 64bit software, most games have lower preformance and you will not be able to play alot of older  games.

Modern grapic cards do out preform my card ( and yours) but duh... i have yet to find a game I cant run at full .. so im not gona spent money on someting I cant see/feel to preform better.

If you have that money to spent urge buy a nice big screen and a new videocard .

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045
    Originally posted by Agricola1

to play next years MMORPGs that'd be fine, as to upgrade advice bar a new system I'd say the CPU could be upgraded to an E8400. Next the OS could be upgraded to Windows 7 64 bit when released or RC now until release, then onto 4GB of RAM. Myself I'd save up the cash and get a completely new system rather than upgrading that but it all depends on your finances I suppose.

how can you offer to upgrade to e8400.. thats almost same.. if upgrade were 20 bucks sure.. now no.. , i would stick with yours system for a year more , and only then look for new things.. or atleast wait till both ati releases its 5000 series and nvidia releases gt300.. series

starwars will be wow nr2, when it comes to requirement.. everyone and theirs granny will be able to run it.. pretty much same goes for aion.. unless your swimming in money ,  wait 1 more generation..

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Uhh.  why the hell would anyone buy a 2xx below 260 .. those are all rebrands of old models. better buy a 9800gtx  if you must, there cheaper cource people think there old but its the same damn chip as the 250 :P

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045

Your graphics card is decent, but I'd recommend moving to the 200 series if you want to stay Nvidia. A 250 or 260 would be a nice upgrade, reasonable in price, and easily be transferrable to a new PC when you're ready to make that step.

wrong

8800GT = 9800GT, 9800GTX = G92 8800GTS....9800GTX+/GTS250 = 55nm G92 8800GTS. You would seen an improvement...but it's not enough to even consider the idea. You might see 1-2fps increase

250 is same card. more or less.. not an upgrade..

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

Actually, with the higher number of stream processors, you should see a marked improvement on most games with either card, over the 8800GT.

I would agree the 260 is a much clearer upgrade (or of course higher in the 200 series), but the price starts ramping up steeply after the 260.

• Gamer_17Gamer_17 Member Posts: 202

wow, thanks for all the help I dont think ill throw in any upgrades now, except possibly my OS but seeing as I only need this computer for MMO's (single players i play console and Im buying a new laptop next year for all my work/downloads) think ill stick with this and buy an entire new PC for the 4th gen games coming who knows when lol Thanks alot

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053
    Originally posted by Gamer_17

wow, thanks for all the help I dont think ill throw in any upgrades now, except possibly my OS but seeing as I only need this computer for MMO's (single players i play console and Im buying a new laptop next year for all my work/downloads) think ill stick with this and buy an entire new PC for the 4th gen games coming who knows when lol Thanks alot

No need to build a new system!

Download Windows7, get ride of your 3 Gb and buy 4Gb (as 3 gig is not DUAL channel), then buy a Core 2 Quad (Q9400)...

You'll be good for 2 more years! Just need to replace your video card in October to a newer DirectX 11 card... then you're golden.

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon