Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AoC - The Fall....

2»

Comments

• beaverzbeaverz Member Posts: 660

Meh....

I'm not a no life that sits in front of his computer all day long, I'm an intern that sits in front of his computer all day long.

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

Originally posted by Unfinished
    Originally posted by Sevenwind You saw it as an advertisement. I saw it as a fan made video. Difference of opinion.
    And if the OP had edited his comments there is no doubt you would have called him out for editing his comments.

And thiis forum is not a Fan Site.  As I said there are many places where posting fan vids are welcomed and appropriate.
    You have never seen me slam anyone for admitting they made a mistake.
    This is a discussion forum, fan vids, fan fiction, guild progression, server firsts, gold advertising, game adverting, marketing, etc. Do not belong in this section.

I like how you in your great understanding of the cosmos deign to us what is to be and not to be posted on these forums. Fan vids are perfectly acceptable here. If you believe otherwise you owe the universe a refund, to be paid in large quantities of oxygen.

• UnfinishedUnfinished Member Posts: 881
    Originally posted by Vagrant_Zero

I like how you in your great understanding of the cosmos deign to us what is to be and not to be posted on these forums. Fan vids are perfectly acceptable here. If you believe otherwise you owe the universe a refund, to be paid in large quantities of oxygen.

I have never seen an eye-candy Fan Vid posted in this section generate a game discussion (the stated purpose of this forum).  Only "Ohh Cool! ... Shiny" type replies.

Game play or strategy vids,  are totally appropriate and encouraged.  But " My AoC Multiple Beheading Music Video " can stay on YouTube, they don't serve any function here.

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188
    Originally posted by Krewel

The main problem I see when Avery posts videos like this is that he tries to convince people almost anything. Out of one video we are led to believe that the AoC population is rising, RP community is growing, the developers are improving the game, the game overall is getting better, etc. For example, one player makes a thread about a siege video (a very good video) and tells us how he liked being in the siege, but then Avery comes along and puts the video in his signature and starts convincing people that the sieges overall are improved, that all sieges look like the one in the video (the video showed mainly melee players, it's a whole different thing when sieges are done mainly by casters, etc.), that everything is ok, etc. Then when someone disagrees with him about the state of the sieges, he just points out to the video and rests his case, or worse yet, points out to the patch notes or some developer comments, but that is another matter...
    Showing fan-made videos is one thing, but drawing far-fetched conclusions (such as that the RP community is growing, sieges are improved, etc.) from videos is another!

That's your opinion. Is it no different when he or someone else makes a postive post about AoC and you or Unfinished make a post to disagree with the person?

Avery thinks the RP community is growing and sieges have improved, you don't, a difference of opinion. I would tend to agree with the person who has an active sub over someone who does not and especially the tone of the writing of the person who disagrees.

I can't speak for sieges as I have yet to do any. As for the RP community I can only speak for my server on what I observe when I play. It is almost daily you will have someone in global say, "Any RP guilds recruiting?" which is followed by 3-4 guilds making clickies in global chat. Yesterday I ran into a roleplayer while I was trying to grind for Vanir heavy armor. Does that mean the RP community is growing, I have no idea, but it sure is mentioned almost everytime I play and I play on Wiccana.

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by Sevenwind

That's your opinion. Is it no different when he or someone else makes a postive post about AoC and you or Unfinished make a post to disagree with the person?
    Avery thinks the RP community is growing and sieges have improved, you don't, a difference of opinion. I would tend to agree with the person who has an active sub over someone who does not and especially the tone of the writing of the person who disagrees.
    Avery was also the one who swore that AoC was ready for release a year ago last April. In my opinion he lost any resemblance of objectivity about the time the game released and took a massive nose dive after the first month..
    I can't speak for sieges as I have yet to do any. As for the RP community I can only speak for my server on what I observe when I play. It is almost daily you will have someone in global say, "Any RP guilds recruiting?" which is followed by 3-4 guilds making clickies in global chat. Yesterday I ran into a roleplayer while I was trying to grind for Vanir heavy armor. Does that mean the RP community is growing, I have no idea, but it sure is mentioned almost everytime I play and I play on Wiccana.
    What exactly has precipitated this sudden influx of role players into AoC? Did they patch in a lot of new RP tools or something? Usually for every effect there is a cause, why is the game suddenly a RP haven when the past year RP's have mostly avoided it like the plague?
    I also have to question the claims off AoC growing. When a game is growing the developers do not come in and change core game play principles as Funcom is doing with 1.05.
    I am not a subscriber but for whatever reason the XFire and web site usage numbers are still gradually declining. Even if no one you know uses XFire and no one you know ever goes to read the official forums there are still 18% less people you don't know using XFire and playing AoC this week than there was last week. Also 7% less people reading the forums or going to the site than there was 3 months ago. Blow that off however you want but they are still hard numbers and with my background I tend to believe numbers more than I do peoples opinions that I do not know personally.

I miss DAoC

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

My gosh the guy is human Jackdog. I can't speak for Avery, but maybe it was his opinion that it was ready to go. I would have gladly disagreed. I wasn't in beta and the only open beta I tried was the Fileplanet Beta for AoC and it was a disaster. I had a friend that was in beta and she said the fileplanet beta and the beta at the time were two different clients. I said it played like total garbage on my machine while she said it played fine on hers. My PC was a little better than hers. If Avery made those claims it was ready for release last April I would have disagreed. I played the first month and quit do to client bugs, not gameplay. That said I still value his opinion of the game and may not agree on some of the issues he posts.

I don't have a clue about the RP community nor do I seek them out. I don't mind grouping with them and easily go along with it sometimes when they get into a group. Does it have a RP haven? No clue, just going by what I see in global and the occasional grouping.

Maybe AoC is growing, but just not at the rate they would like so they are trying a change. It's a gamble, but one I'm looking forward to.

I don't care about the numbers. What it comes down to, for me, is if I find the game fun and enjoy it. I haven't looked at the official forums in awhile. Last night I did for the first time in months only to look up Dark Templar advice, and it was back in game to try out a new build. I agree you should view hard numbers over opinions of people. Then again we see this debate on the forums here all the time on interpeting those numbers for AoC.

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• JelloB2000JelloB2000 Member CommonPosts: 1,848

Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.