Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sheesh, I am outta here, bubs

2»

Comments

• Default101Default101 Member UncommonPosts: 55

That's why I completely ignore all the pre-release nonsense that MMO companies love. If you want to show some footage of the gameplay, screenshots, etc. that's cool - but until I am able to play the game myself I don't see any reason to pay much mind to any of it.

Anyone who has been playing MMOs awhile knows that no amount of hype, disclosure, or media coverage will guarantee a good game. Additionally, just because a company has a history of making good games does not mean that their latest one will be good. This is particularly true of MMOs.

Until you can actually get inside and play the game, you know nothing. Pretending (or wishing) otherwise is an exercise in futility.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Netzoko

I agree 100%.
    The secrecy is childish and pointless.

What I find childish is seeing so many people throw e-fits over not getting what they want, when they want it. I'm not talking about anyone specifically it's simply an overall observation of the many threads in this section. I don't see what all the emotional charge is about. Plus, if you take into account the over-hype that went on with WAR and AOC. Along with the backlash that followed. It's not all that hard to understand and respect a little silence from a developer.

It's pretty obvious they still have work to do on core systems in the game, what's wrong with remaining silent until you know what you're delivering?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

Dear OP,

Stop reading TOR threads....

/end of discussion

• ShanniaShannia Member Posts: 2,096
    Originally posted by Elikal

Ok I have enough of this PR hogwash of Bioware. I mean, I am still as interested in TOR as ever, but I have decided to take my distance of all this. It is at the point of getting ridiculous. I just have enough of Bioware pretending to talk about their game. Sure, they have all make it in secrecy as if they forged the Illuminaty of as of Bioware was the friggin area 51, but for G_ds sake, its a damn computer game!
    Now this recent so called "fan friday" info is just the last of a series of journalistic mockery. I dont know if half of the interviewers are paid or just too plain dumb to ask the right questions, and NOT let them endlessly blabber nonsense like "it is about story". Why do they give interviews anyway, when 9 out of 10 questions are "it is awesome, but I cant tell neener neener." Are we here in the kindergarden with kids secrets? Damn, as if we never had seen a MF MMO before! And all that so called info... the classes. Ok, we know Bounty Hunter exists. Whoa... but what does he do? How does he fight? We know little to nothing, and I am sick and tired of Bioware mocking us with PR blah blah that is much ado about nothing to say. Either you say something, then you have SOMETHING to say, or you STFU, but you spare us any further of those verbal smoke bombs.
    Then you can come back to us presenting your shiny, when you have something to say.

/rant off

If there is a game that you are really looking forward to playing, I can't stress enough the importance of staying away from all the forums about that game with the exception of your guild's forums.  IMHO, there is nothing worse to kill your anticipation of a game than hype forums.  It's bad enough that forums are filled with trolls, then it gets 100x worse with those same forums when you have vigilante fanbois with their rose colored glasses going out in full squads countering any perceived troll or negative view, regardless of the opinion or how it is backed up.

Fear not fanbois, we are not trolls, let's take off your tin foil hat and learn what VAPORWARE is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

"Vaporware is a term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product."

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164

Over a video game you have never played, and hasn't launched even? Just stop visiting these forums if aren't interested in the game, ffs.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• mantiimantii Member Posts: 90

I would rather not be called a "bub" please thanks.  I prefer sir or dr.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

The problem with giving out information this early is that things will most likely change and the same people that are pissing and moaning about there not being enough info would be the same ones that would piss and moan if the end product didn't match exactly with everything promised earlier.  "ZOMG you said X was going to be a feature 6 months ago but now you're saying its not going to make it into release???  EPIC FAIL!1!1!1!1!"

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• FibsdkFibsdk Member Posts: 1,112

Sure, they have all make it in secrecy as if they forged the Illuminaty of as of Bioware was the friggin area 51, but for G_ds sake, its a damn computer game!
    To you and me it's just a game. To them it could potentially be their biggest pay day yet.

There is nothing wrong with being super exited about a game but really. You are asking for information so you can sit and fantasize about it until release...and they somehow owe you this because?

I never understood why people got frustrated with lack of information about a game prior to release. Unless you are almost creaming your pants and just NEED another info fix

• BaronJuJuBaronJuJu Member UncommonPosts: 1,832

Bioware has made it no secret that they are going to keep information close hold. To come in now and whine, rant and moan that they are not giving you the information you want at the pace you want is pointless.If they are making folks this upset, maybe a break from this and other MMO forums is needed. Check out other games or get back into some of your old favorites.

"If we don't attack them, they will attack us first. So we'd better retaliate before they have a chance to strike"

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Originally posted by SplinterMH

Jeeze everyones so pessimistic lol. It seems when ever somthing is unknown, ppl fear it and only point out its flaws.

I know. I've never seen this bad. They just want to think that everything is horrible.

• Embry77Embry77 Member UncommonPosts: 47

Good riddance. Way to much crying about story. For fucks sake this game is still in alpha and might not even see shelves until 2011 or maybe late 2010. You expect them to have pages and pages of info about their game already? Get real, some time away from these forums will probably do you some good then.

• ShanniaShannia Member Posts: 2,096
    Originally posted by Moirae

Jeeze everyones so pessimistic lol. It seems when ever somthing is unknown, ppl fear it and only point out its flaws.

I know. I've never seen this bad. They just want to think that everything is horrible.

I'm a huge Star Wars fan.  I listen to the developers talk about you being able to level to max and do the entire epic story line, I'm thinking AWESOME!  No more waiting for guildies or others, and I get to top level as fast as I want.  Then after the glee of that thought subsides, I'm left thinking to myself, well... if I don't need my guildies to get to max level or for the epic story line, what is the point of this being an MMORPG?  It will be interesting how Bioware solves this paradox.

Fear not fanbois, we are not trolls, let's take off your tin foil hat and learn what VAPORWARE is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

"Vaporware is a term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product."

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

A lovely generation of haters and malcontents that dwell within the lands and forums of the attention craving overly-dramatic and severely miss/dis/un-informed.... all seeking immediate and/or otherwise instant gratification.  In addition, anything we are sold, traded,  or given freely must meet 110% of our compliance standards.

• Jtrav1987Jtrav1987 Member Posts: 79

Yeah, God forbid they don't release the total details of their game months, more likely years before it is finalized or out.

/sarcasm off

• singsofdeathsingsofdeath Member UncommonPosts: 1,812
    Originally posted by Shannia

Originally posted by Moirae

I'm a huge Star Wars fan.  I listen to the developers talk about you being able to level to max and do the entire epic story line, I'm thinking AWESOME!  No more waiting for guildies or others, and I get to top level as fast as I want.  Then after the glee of that thought subsides, I'm left thinking to myself, well... if I don't need my guildies to get to max level or for the epic story line, what is the point of this being an MMORPG?  It will be interesting how Bioware solves this paradox.

For once, there is the possibility of doing the thing in groups. But I would think the most important part of solving this paradox is to include activities after you reach max level that can sustain you and your friends for a long time. 

As I've said before, the thing that has me worried, or anxious, is if BioWare will put the same amount of effort into creating a fun and long-lasting environment after the leveling process. Be that pvE, PvP or Social or a mix of all of those, I don't mind as long as they put a good amount of effort into those systems so that you can have fun activities with your guildies and/or by yourself. 

So far, nothing has been said about how they implement these things. Only that they will. So that is one point I remain worried about. That they just slap on some unimaginative, boring PvE and PvP content and be done with it. 

If they make it interesting and fun though, I think it's all good. Let's hope for that!

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

Because of our years enlisted in the ranks of MMORPG customers/players, we feel a false sense of entitlement. 

Every new game pays for all of the short-comings of all of the games that came before it.

The anger remains long after players hit the cancel button from their last 'crappy' and unsatisfying game... and it pours all over these pages here at MMORPG.COM.

• OhatroOhatro Member Posts: 52

Although I tend to agree with those that are against the sentiments of the OP, I really think Bioware should get rid of that Friday Feature thing they have going.

Its one thing to do countless interviews, only talking about story, and not wishing to discuss those things in developement.  As many of you have said, its advertising, or creating interest, or whatever.

But Friday features waere started to showcase new aspects of the game, over long term, every couple of weeks.  They have continually stated that " something great is going to be revealed soon ", or as prior to E3, they stated they would " show the world " astonishing new features.

Well I personally stopped following Friday Features last February, when it was clear that "new" features largely consisted of old art concpets, dev blogs talking about story, new avatars and probably  40 secs total of gameplay, not actually showing any systems in game.  A couple of classes and planets shown were really the only things revealed.  So as many of you that argue against nay-sayers continually say, there is not nearly enough information out to even gauge the game, let alone flame it.

So the way i take the OP, is that he is frustrated by the baiting of Friday Features.  Maybe Bioware should get rid of that feature, if they are not going to actually contribute to it.  I am totally for their stance that nothing is going to be revealed until its working in the game, but they did create and hype Friday Features.  I think most people here would say E3 revealed nothing substantial, other than multiplayer dialogue.  I still don't understand why they dont show the video.  It seems pretty insignificant from reading the reports of it, in that it is simply showing the gameplay features we already knew about.  Yet even this has not been released to Friday Features.

I personally dont care, and I have already seen enough to know I will try this game out.  But i understand the OP.

Ohatro

• ThradarThradar Member Posts: 949

Ok I have enough of this PR hogwash of Bioware. I mean, I am still as interested in TOR as ever, but I have decided to take my distance of all this. It is at the point of getting ridiculous. I just have enough of Bioware pretending to talk about their game. Sure, they have all make it in secrecy as if they forged the Illuminaty of as of Bioware was the friggin area 51, but for G_ds sake, its a damn computer game!
    Now this recent so called "fan friday" info is just the last of a series of journalistic mockery. I dont know if half of the interviewers are paid or just too plain dumb to ask the right questions, and NOT let them endlessly blabber nonsense like "it is about story". Why do they give interviews anyway, when 9 out of 10 questions are "it is awesome, but I cant tell neener neener." Are we here in the kindergarden with kids secrets? Damn, as if we never had seen a MF MMO before! And all that so called info... the classes. Ok, we know Bounty Hunter exists. Whoa... but what does he do? How does he fight? We know little to nothing, and I am sick and tired of Bioware mocking us with PR blah blah that is much ado about nothing to say. Either you say something, then you have SOMETHING to say, or you STFU, but you spare us any further of those verbal smoke bombs.
    Then you can come back to us presenting your shiny, when you have something to say.

/rant off

Some people take mmos WAY too seriously.  Here's how you make your life easier.  Quit worrying about the game, because you have ZERO influence on the final product.  On release day install the game.  Play it for 30 days.  If you like it...GREAT!  If not...get on with your life.

Constantly obsessing and ranting in the forums about something you have no control over is sort of a waste of time.  =)

• SonikFlashSonikFlash Member UncommonPosts: 561

I agree your taking this way to seriously if you feel annoyed or even a little bit upset that you don't have an all access pass.  It's just a game, this is how things are done, wait and see.  Either like it or don't like it, in the end thats all it amounts to, getting upset over things you have no control over..that it what is really childish.