Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To SWTOR devs.

I'm taking a chance here and hope that atleast one or a few devs from SWTOR read MMO sites like this one in hopes to see initial thoughts on their game, so here goes:

Please stick with your gut. I like the fact that you guys are focusing hard on story, and making sure that it will be a great MMO experience. WIth that said, when the game releases, TRY not to listen too much to the 'QQers'. These 'qqers' is what ruined WoW ever since the end of TBC. Sure, listen to suggestions, but always go with YOUR gut. You guys make the game, not the player. We're just here for the ride.

Please don't be like Blizzard and milk your franchise by making the game extremely easy just to get more subs. While I understand you're trying to make money, there are those of us that want a great game as well. You devs working on the game already have a vision. Follow it. Don't let cry babies change that.

I'm still playing WoW, only because all the other MMO's I've played are either WoW clones, or have had little impact to make me want to keep playing their game. However, with the recent patch notes ( 3.2 ), and the fact that they're further trivializing the game, I'm beginning to worry that this is the path that all future MMO's will take: Catering to casuals in order to make the big bucks.

No longer does Blizzard care about the quality of their game. All they care about now is $ and subscriber #'s to advertise.

I personally want a challenging MMO again, like how WoW used to be PRE-BC. You may say pre-bc wasn't very hard, but WoW was my first MMO so I don't have as much experience with games like EQ1, SWG, or DAOC.

Just wanted to get that off my chest =p

Comments

• Cristina1Cristina1 Member UncommonPosts: 372

How can you simplify a game that is over simplistic already??

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Yvese

I'm taking a chance here and hope that atleast one or a few devs from SWTOR read MMO sites like this one in hopes to see initial thoughts on their game, so here goes:

Please stick with your gut. I like the fact that you guys are focusing hard on story, and making sure that it will be a great MMO experience. WIth that said, when the game releases, TRY not to listen too much to the 'QQers'. These 'qqers' is what ruined WoW ever since the end of TBC. Sure, listen to suggestions, but always go with YOUR gut. You guys make the game, not the player. We're just here for the ride.
    Please don't be like Blizzard and milk your franchise by making the game extremely easy just to get more subs. While I understand you're trying to make money, there are those of us that want a great game as well. You devs working on the game already have a vision. Follow it. Don't let cry babies change that.
    I'm still playing WoW, only because all the other MMO's I've played are either WoW clones, or have had little impact to make me want to keep playing their game. However, with the recent patch notes ( 3.2 ), and the fact that they're further trivializing the game, I'm beginning to worry that this is the path that all future MMO's will take: Catering to casuals in order to make the big bucks.
    No longer does Blizzard care about the quality of their game. All they care about now is $ and subscriber #'s to advertise.
    I personally want a challenging MMO again, like how WoW used to be PRE-BC. You may say pre-bc wasn't very hard, but WoW was my first MMO so I don't have as much experience with games like EQ1, SWG, or DAOC.

Don't listen to this guy. There is no point asking people to devote their LIVES to a GAME. WOW has it right .. accessible and does not take a lot to enjoy.

It is a myth that only DIFFICULT things have quality. Just make your stories/gameplay interesting and accessible (i.e. everyone can get to the content) and they will come.

• WarsongWarsong Member Posts: 563
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Don't listen to this guy. There is no point asking people to devote their LIVES to a GAME. WOW has it right .. accessible and does not take a lot to enjoy.

It is a myth that only DIFFICULT things have quality. Just make your stories/gameplay interesting and accessible (i.e. everyone can get to the content) and they will come.

Don't listen to either of these guys, the first is completely inexperienced regarding MMO's and the latter is just a WoW fan boy. You "can" make a game that has an 8 year old simple area/experience and you can have a more challenging experience for the still large camp of minorities who want some depth and challenge. Making a game that satifies both of the main MMO camps is possible. But then after it releases stick to your guns and dont listen to any of the whiners from either camp.

Make the game where it has the element of being a player ran and driven MMORPG with enough simple NPC content that even an 8 year old can enjoy it and leave all other MMO's in the dust. There really is no other reason that you can not satisfy both of the main MMO camps save a lack of vision and execution.

• Starbuck1771Starbuck1771 Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Originally posted by Warsong

Don't listen to either of these guys, the first is completely inexperienced regarding MMO's and the latter is just a WoW fan boy. You "can" make a game that has an 8 year old simple area/experience and you can have a more challenging experience for the still large camp of minorities who want some depth and challenge. Making a game that satifies both of the main MMO camps is possible. But then after it releases stick to your guns and dont listen to any of the whiners from either camp.

Make the game where it has the element of being a player ran and driven MMORPG with enough simple NPC content that even an 8 year old can enjoy it and leave all other MMO's in the dust. There really is no other reason that you can not satisfy both of the main MMO camps save a lack of vision and execution.

Listen to this guy! Another NGE won't hurt LucasArts or the Star Wars Franchise any more!

• WarsongWarsong Member Posts: 563
    Originally posted by Starbuck1771

Originally posted by Warsong

Listen to this guy! Another NGE won't hurt LucasArts or the Star Wars Franchise any more!

I am far from suggesting anything close to an NGE. But Bioware and LA does have the funds and IP to bring a diverse game and even 2 largely different server types. But dumbing the game down to an NGE isn't what I suggest.

• demalusdemalus Member Posts: 401

Seeing as their target is to make a casual game and they are unofficially targetting the WoW audience - which they have said numerous times - why on Earth would you have the notion that there is some redeeming quality besides a good single player story?

• PieousPieous Member Posts: 12

If you want to get a message across to the SWTOR devs then may I suggest using the SWTOR official forums on their website, and the going to the Suggestions forum section.

EQ/EQII/WoW/SWG/AoC/WAR/EVE/RYZOM/AO/DAoC/Lineage/LineageII/VG/GW/LOTRO/COH/COV
    I've played them all, I've reviewed them all.

• Jeffery.hJeffery.h Darkfall CorrespondentMember Posts: 110
    Originally posted by Pieous

If you want to get a message across to the SWTOR devs then may I suggest using the SWTOR official forums on their website, and the going to the Suggestions forum section.

You get a gold star.

./signed

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Coming from a guy that plays the most carebearish MMO on the market and he wants a challenge? Your looking at the wrong game if u want a challenge since the comment has said it will be more of a single player experience and all the true MMO features thrown in as a afterthought. Regardless of what people say that rabidly defend the game they wont get it thru their head stories dont make a MMO great or focuisng on single player content  and it will truely be a riot when the comment made by the EA CEO about RMT item shop is for real and not BS as they took back what they said real quick as if the CEO jumped the gun and said something he wasnt supposed to say. The game is not the shining beacon as people make it out to be,

• GreenChaosGreenChaos Member Posts: 2,268

You could try posting in the Bioware forums.

forums.bioware.com

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

I really think it's bad advice telling people to make decisions with their "gut".  It's not a matter of going with your gut.  Relying on your gut feelings can lead to some bad decision making.  It's important to apply reasoning and logic to any of your gut feelings.  That being said I don't see how focusing heavily on story or making sure the game will be a great MMO experience is illogical or even why anyone would "QQ" about it.

I do see a problem with them making the game too difficult that it's going to turn off casual players or people who aren't typical gamers.  Do you want to alienate potiental player base?  Was WoW really that easy in TBC?  Did you hit 70 the day it was released and immediately take a bunch of your friends and go kill Kael'thas on your first guild's attempt?  People spent months trying to do that content.  Did you finish all the Heroics like the Cavern of Time ones, Shattered Halls, and Alcatraz before they were nerfed without a single person dying on your first attempt through?  Probably not.  Yes, all this content was made much easier and more accessible, but that's what Blizzard does.  They know that if the content is too easy to begin with the hardcore raiding guilds are going to blow through it, so they make the content decently challenging.  As these guilds pass it and begin farming it, they tone it down so other people can access it.  There is nothing wrong with that it's a good way to peddle out the WoW drug addiction to all kinds of players.

Anyway, this post was really more of a rant about WoW than actually advice to the Bioware devs, wasn't it?

• Jeffery.hJeffery.h Darkfall CorrespondentMember Posts: 110

decided to re-post hear. Though I agree you should post on bio-ware forums.

I think what you are saying is you like what the game sounds like so far, and hope the people complaining about things that have been stated already are ignored.  I think you just need to  know BioWare makes great games. You know Bioware makes great games, just trust that it will be a BioWare game.  It's like trusting a porche will be a porche or a coke will be a coke. Ok maybe coke is not the best example hehe.

What are you going to get for $60, you are going to get a BioWare game. They have there own unique style, if you want  a refresher of there style pre - order a copy of dragon age. Will be a great way to pass time in the final few quarters before SWTOR release

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861

Please stick with your gut......
    ...Please don't be like Blizzard and milk your franchise by making the game extremely easy just to get more subs....

What if their guts are telling them to make the game extremely easy?  How do you know that that's not the case?

I'll admit I'm pretty ignorant in regards to SWTOR.  I know a few generalities about it like most people but I don't really know what the game will be like.  So let me ask you; what are they doing that will make the game challenging?

Will there be a significant death penalty?

Will most every fight put you in real danger of dying (relative toughness of the NPCs and mobs)?

Will you not be guided to your quest/mission objectives?

Or whatever, anything you could tell us about it would be appreciated.

• IlvaldyrIlvaldyr Member CommonPosts: 2,142
    Originally posted by Neanderthal 
    I'll admit I'm pretty ignorant in regards to SWTOR.  I know a few generalities about it like most people but I don't really know what the game will be like.  So let me ask you; what are they doing that will make the game challenging?

You're not alone in that respect; all of us are in the same boat as Bioware have releasted very little information.

All we basically know is that the game is a class based MMORPG with two main factions, a traditional end-game (i.e. raiding, PvP, etc) and a heavily story-influenced character progression that is solo friendly and unique to each class.

Playing: EVE, Final Fantasy 13, Uncharted 2, Need for Speed: Shift
  • EthecoEtheco Member UncommonPosts: 13

This thread is silly, Bioware have amazing past in RPG's it was only time before they had a chance at a MMO. I have high hopes they will deliver one hell of a game. Lets see what they bring.

I feel they will deliver somthing new and intresting the whole MMO community is waiting for.