Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Exploration is what will make this game stand out!

Hey all,

Personally by far my favourite part of any mmo is the exploration, discovering different places is what makes the game fun in my opinion, however with most great mmo's the exploration is quite similar because most of them are fantasy based, all of them have castles, forests, dungens, mountains, villiages etc. But with TOR exploration in mmo's will be greater than ever, every planet will have a different landscape and completly different places to explore, for example Coruscant will be like a huge thriving city where as places like Tython will be open and full of fields, forestry and lakes etc. This is why i think the game will never get boring, anyone agree?

Comments

• Praxus1874Praxus1874 Member Posts: 152

While I am looking forward to the game, I don't believe that exploration will play a large part.  Bioware is making a strong effort to tell a story in this game, which requires them to guide you from one event to the next.  For that reason, I don't there will be much of a large open world.  

I don't think you can do an open world Star Wars experience without drawing comparisons to SWG, either, since that game was pretty huge.  

I don't think that Bioware is going to even try to go there, but that's just my opinion.

Prax 

• xalanorxalanor Member Posts: 9

I have to agree with Praxus.  While I'm sure that you can wander around somewhat and try and find the lone-broken down R2 unit leaning up against the tree that is half buried in the lake.....From everything I've seen so far, BioWare seems to want this experience to be about your character, and the impact your character has on the world around him or her.  Sure you can wander around if you'd like, but the game will likely be designed around immersing yourself in your character, and his story.

• KylrathinKylrathin Member Posts: 426

I think the world will be large, but certainly not open.  The requirements of telling a story, as stated above, pretty much foregoes any semblance of openness in environment.  Which, of course, immediately negates exploration.  I guess if it feels like exploration even though your current quest tells you to go there and do this, that's all that really matters, though.

There's a sucker born every minute. - P.T. Barnum

• AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Originally posted by Ricardo12

Hey all,
    Personally by far my favourite part of any mmo is the exploration, discovering different places is what makes the game fun in my opinion, however with most great mmo's the exploration is quite similar because most of them are fantasy based, all of them have castles, forests, dungens, mountains, villiages etc. But with TOR exploration in mmo's will be greater than ever, every planet will have a different landscape and completly different places to explore, for example Coruscant will be like a huge thriving city where as places like Tython will be open and full of fields, forestry and lakes etc. This is why i think the game will never get boring, anyone agree?

Man I really hope you're right because the thought of getting to explore the nooks and crannies of Coruscant is an exciting prospect.   Unfortunately my cynicism kicks in and I think that it will be a cool looking background with a small land area that you can freely move in.  I imagine they could create an entire game just around that city alone.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Originally posted by Praxus1874

While I am looking forward to the game, I don't believe that exploration will play a large part.  Bioware is making a strong effort to tell a story in this game, which requires them to guide you from one event to the next.  For that reason, I don't there will be much of a large open world.  
    I don't think you can do an open world Star Wars experience without drawing comparisons to SWG, either, since that game was pretty huge.  
    I don't think that Bioware is going to even try to go there, but that's just my opinion.
    Prax 

So umm, you can't have open world exploration with story because??????

In kotor they had paths so this game will to?

yes it is only your opinion and your logic is skewed

Ever heard of waypoints?

I think you forget that 2 of the lead devs who were in charge of making SWG are on this project and have something to prove this time around.

There is an article were they talked about how vast Hutta was, and the draw distance on it was spectacular.

I'm willing to bet my old elder Jedi SWG account  you'll be surprised at what you see they did in TOR.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• Praxus1874Praxus1874 Member Posts: 152
    Originally posted by tillamook

Prax 

Ever heard of waypoints?

I think you forget that 2 of the lead devs who were in charge of making SWG are on this project and have something to prove this time around.

There is an article were they talked about how vast Hutta was, and the draw distance on it was spectacular.

I'm willing to bet my old elder Jedi SWG account  you'll be surprised at what you see they did in TOR.

No need to go on the offensive there, Tilla, just stating an opinion.  

I didn't reference KOTOR, and it would be rediculous to think that this game would be as restricted as that game was in terms of exploration.  

Yes, I have heard of Waypoints, and I expect this game to make liberal use of them.  

My logic is based upon 12 years of MMO experience, so it will be skewed towards that experience, sure. 

Just because a planet is "vast" and has a large draw distance doesn't mean you'll be able to explore the extent of that draw distance. 

All of that said, I personally hope you are correct, since exploration is the best part of an MMO for me.  Let's hope you get to keep your elder Jedi.

Prax 

I wasn't getting defensive, just debating. :-) I'm not basing all my opinions on heresay or screen shots and videos, but the only expample I can give you are screen shots. for now. As for SWG, I don't play that game anymore anyways. xD

anyways check this out.

Note the Radar dish in the background, (this is a Republic base that sits up a bluff)

Now look at this frame, left hand corner, note the radar dish on the bluff.

Another shot, note the dishes in the left corner of this picture.

Now this one I love because it really shows how though the background may look like a painted picture, it isn't. Looks can be deceiving. Again note the radar dish faintly in the right of the picture.

Now as for this shot, same base, I don’t think you can walk up this mountain like in SWG, maybe climb it at the most, if you don’t fall to your death.

SWG Bloodfin vet

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

No, story and no grind is what will make this game stand out.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I agree that exploration can be an important part of any game.In saying that,does this new game have several starting locations?That was one knock i had on AOC,one starting location for all,linear gameplay/story to start ,it ruins exploration really.

Lots of exploration means nobody knows what to expect,is that foe too hard,too easy,impossible to kill,who knows and who is willing to chance it lol.The one thing about copying an ip however is that you expect it look a certain way,witch is why i dont like games based on movies/books.I prefer a total freehand creation/fantasy world,i enjoy seeing what people can come up with for unique creation.

It is nice to be able to go back and play a different character and be able to follow a whole new exploration route,if you have to follow the exact same route,game play,then ya i guess i can see why so many hangout in end game stuff.I think developers lack a lot of creativity for us people that like exploration.How about mountains with a secret passage or secret hidden rock doorway,or hidden caves ,everything does not have to be right pout in the open,there shoudl be some fun to exploration.How about a dropped sword from some boss,maybe it has some secret hidden abilites,so exploring the drops i nthe game could be part of it.How about a rainbow that shows up when it rains that allows you to walk up into the sky and find some new civilization?there is sooo much that can be done,developers need to quit being lazy making their generated worlds.

One thing for sure,i could play Star Wars for the exploration alone and then probably quit after awhile,as long as the exploration is wide open.One aspect of gaming i hate is having to unlock areas of a game through levels,i think the whole game should be explorable for all.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• FinbarFinbar Member UncommonPosts: 187

Exploration is great. One of my favorite things to do. In games or otherwise.

TOR however is on rails. It is highly limited in geographic scope. Not an explorable environment... Unfotunatly.

As far as a great Staw Wars MMO, TOR is just not it.... we will just have to keep waiting (another couple of years I guess).

FINBAR
    -------------------------------------------

• infinituminfinitum Member Posts: 95
    Originally posted by Finbar

TOR however is on rails. It is highly limited in geographic scope. Not an explorable environment... Unfotunatly.
    As far as a great Staw Wars MMO, TOR is just not it.... we will just have to keep waiting (another couple of years I guess).

Sounds like you have already played it. Good for you.

How do you expect anyone to take you seriously when we just dont know yet.

Originally posted by Finbar

cool story bro.

SWG Bloodfin vet

• sanders01sanders01 Member Posts: 1,357

I hate speculation. This is why I will state with no proof otherwise that TOR will be Guild Wars/AOC size zones. Sure you can explore them, but I doubt they'll be fully open world as in WoW and the like. Oh wait, I do have one thing to use to prove this, KOTOR. Though it was single player, companies tend to look towards their best-selling games for ideas on how to make their newest game a hit.

Currently restarting World of Warcraft :/

Originally posted by sanders01

I hate speculation. This is why I will state with no proof otherwise that TOR will be Guild Wars/AOC size zones. Sure you can explore them, but I doubt they'll be fully open world as in WoW and the like. Oh wait, I do have one thing to use to prove this, KOTOR. Though it was single player, companies tend to look towards their best-selling games for ideas on how to make their newest game a hit.

Actually with the Hero engine toolset you can make unlimited zone sizes or planets, and do it fast. It's not a stretch at all. The only places I would imagine them limiting movement is in a "flash point" as they call it. But then again through the use of phasing and seamless zones you can put it right in the main game world, without having it affect anyone else in some cases. It does not mean the actual world planets will small zones. Bioware has customized the engine and tools for their use, but the amount of advantages they have with it are pretty much top notch so I expect them to make full usage of those resources. All those other games are technologically years behind.

There isn't just one guy doing world building, it's a team of people with the ability do Real-time collaborative world building and that's what they do pretty much all day. They even rework some areas and make them better even weeks after they think they finished them. A lot of that comes from play testing feedback (from gamers like you and me who are invited to come try the game). If you have time, check out what world building looks like with the Hero engine (first video) , or just keeping complaining for all I care. :-P

SWG Bloodfin vet

• sanders01sanders01 Member Posts: 1,357

Originally posted by sanders01

Actually with the Hero engine toolset you can make unlimited zone sizes or planets, and do it fast. It's not a stretch at all. The only places I would imagine them limiting movement is in a "flash point" as they call it. But then again through the use of phasing and seamless zones you can put it right in the main game world, without having it affect anyone else in some cases. It does not mean the actual world planets will small zones. Bioware has customized the engine and tools for their use, but the amount of advantages they have with it are pretty much top notch so I expect them to make full usage of those resources. All those other games are technologically years behind.

There isn't just one guy doing world building, it's a team of people with the ability do Real-time collaborative world building and that's what they do pretty much all day. They even rework some areas and make them better even weeks after they think they finished them. A lot of that comes from play testing feedback (from gamers like you and me who are invited to come try the game). If you have time, check out what world building looks like with the Hero engine (first video) , or just keeping complaining for all I care. :-P

Not complaining, I could care less what they do, since it's KOTOR I'm going to buy it regardless. I was just making conclusions by examining their last game in that series, KOTOR 1. The real question is though, will they actually use the Hero engine to its capacity? Neither of us know that anwser :)

Currently restarting World of Warcraft :/

• Lord_IxiganLord_Ixigan Member Posts: 548

Prax 

Ever heard of waypoints?

And I'm willing to bet my old elder bounty hunter/cm that killed a lot of Jedi that you'll be surprised at what they -don't- do in TOR.

I'm not saying the game will be this or that, I just have the ability to reserve judgement before they 'show me the money!'.

We know that there won't be any space content at release. We also have been given a good indication that there will be one planet for every class, so a total of eight. How much explorable land will be on each? We have absolutely no idea, Bioware hasn't hinted.

• SabiancymSabiancym Member UncommonPosts: 3,150

If you want to isolate yourself in the game only and don't look at game related websites then I guess exploration is possible.  But within a month, every corner of an mmo is mapped out and written in a guide for anyone to see.

So exploration..maybe.  Discovery, no.

• lornjlornj Member Posts: 334

i like how everyone gets in an uproar and starts pissing and moaning about peoples opinions like they are truth. in case everyone has forgotten, WE DONT KNOW ANYTHING HARDLY ABOUT THIS GAME!!!!!!

• NecroHeliumNecroHelium Member Posts: 175
    Originally posted by Lord_Ixigan

Prax 

Ever heard of waypoints?

And I'm willing to bet my old elder bounty hunter/cm that killed a lot of Jedi that you'll be surprised at what they -don't- do in TOR.

I'm not saying the game will be this or that, I just have the ability to reserve judgement before they 'show me the money!'.

We know that there won't be any space content at release. We also have been given a good indication that there will be one planet for every class, so a total of eight. How much explorable land will be on each? We have absolutely no idea, Bioware hasn't hinted.

That's just the planet that each class STARTS on.  There may be only 8, sure, but in a few different interviews Bioware says you DO leave that planet.  In 1, they mention as a bounty hunter how you learn about "the great hunt" before you leave Hutta.  In another they mention how you will cross paths with other classes stories for a mission or 2 (their way of making sure you don't only get to group with your own class) before breaking back off into your own story.

• Bluff+ZiggsBluff+Ziggs Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I agree that exploration can be an important part of any game.In saying that,does this new game have several starting locations?That was one knock i had on AOC,one starting location for all,linear gameplay/story to start ,it ruins exploration really.
    Lots of exploration means nobody knows what to expect,is that foe too hard,too easy,impossible to kill,who knows and who is willing to chance it lol.The one thing about copying an ip however is that you expect it look a certain way,witch is why i dont like games based on movies/books.I prefer a total freehand creation/fantasy world,i enjoy seeing what people can come up with for unique creation.
    It is nice to be able to go back and play a different character and be able to follow a whole new exploration route,if you have to follow the exact same route,game play,then ya i guess i can see why so many hangout in end game stuff.I think developers lack a lot of creativity for us people that like exploration.How about mountains with a secret passage or secret hidden rock doorway,or hidden caves ,everything does not have to be right pout in the open,there shoudl be some fun to exploration.How about a dropped sword from some boss,maybe it has some secret hidden abilites,so exploring the drops i nthe game could be part of it.How about a rainbow that shows up when it rains that allows you to walk up into the sky and find some new civilization?there is sooo much that can be done,developers need to quit being lazy making their generated worlds.
    One thing for sure,i could play Star Wars for the exploration alone and then probably quit after awhile,as long as the exploration is wide open.One aspect of gaming i hate is having to unlock areas of a game through levels,i think the whole game should be explorable for all.

Yep, So far every single class announced starts on his own planet. Smugglers get Ord Mantell, Hutta goes to Bounty Hunters, Tython to the Jedi, and on! This goes along with their plan to have a completely different set of quest for each class, meaning you'll never get the same quest twice.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Has there been an official statement from Bioware on what will be instanced, zoned or persistant ? If not then I think everything is just an assumption until an official word has been given.

• Bluff+ZiggsBluff+Ziggs Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by SaintViktor

Has there been an official statement from Bioware on what will be instanced, zoned or persistant ? If not then I think everything is just an assumption until an official word has been given.

What they have stated is that they will be using phasing extensively, and the Hero Engine allows for seemless, no load time instancing. So expect most places that aren't player hubs to come in multiple versions.

• Ricardo12Ricardo12 Member Posts: 19

I really hope they keep instancing to a minimum in this game, its good for certain quests and obvs sometimes its needed, personally i find group/raid instances very tedious alot fo the time, like in lotro (the mmo i play now) i know alot of people who love grinding instances multiple times, personally i cant think of anything worse.