Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One day I woke up and realized I was a fan of a genre that no longer delivers an enjoyable experienc

JGMIIIJGMIII Member Posts: 1,282

I can't really explain it.

I've been playing MMOs since UO, From sandbox to themepark. I've played near everything and enjoyed Most in some way or another.

I used to look forward to having a bit of free time in the evening to jump on a good old MMO and Adventure and chat it up with my guild. I had all this motivation to level skills or farm Items or rep.

I don't know where it all went wrong to be honest.

I thought it was the attraction of single player games being so high tech now but thats not it.

I log into a MMO now and it seems like i'm just wasting my time by playing a game that promises fun later on, wading through grind or repetitive actions only designed to keep me paying and playing but not delivering anything close to an enjoyable experience.

12 years of MMOs and now I can't even stand being logged into one of these games more than 10 minutes...... I don't get it.

Playing: EvE, Ryzom

Comments

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

If you take a step back and stop playing them one day all of a sudden you will decide to check them out again and that feeling may come back.  Maybe it won't, but either way I think you are at a crossroads.

Maybe take a break until FF14, Elder Scrolls Online, new Blizz MMO comes out and see if they are worth playing.  Seriously though you won't find a game out there to keep you content at this point.  Time to walk away for a while.

• RehmesRehmes Member Posts: 600

You are not alone, i feel the same. And the more i hop into new ones to try and find the lost passion the worse i get lol....

• Praxus1874Praxus1874 Member Posts: 152

Unfortunately, I agree with you.  Everything has a been there, done that feel for me.  I will continue to follow upcoming games and pay close attention to releases, but I don't know what, if anything, I will end up playing.  Just kind of in MMO limbo right now.

Prax 

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Simple solution. Find a new hobby.

I used to collect star wars figures. Then I stopped having fun playing with them. So I stopped buying them. But I didn't get mad at Kenner because I grew up.

• KeynoKeyno Member UncommonPosts: 47

I have to agree with you, they all seem to fall flat after a few day or weeks of game play. Personally I think they removed all risk vs reward from the games, losing a sense of accomplishment in the process. As well as not living up to the content most of them promise to deliver.

Most the time you have to wait for a few expansions or years to get features that were supposed to me in the game from the on set. This practice seems industry wide and is a let down. I'm willing to wait for a game to hit the market to deliver what they promise in the first place, then get into a game half finished only to leave me with a bad taste in my mouth.

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861
    Originally posted by JGMIII

I've been playing MMOs since UO, From sandbox to themepark. I've played near everything and enjoyed Most in some way or another.
    I used to look forward to having a bit of free time in the evening to jump on a good old MMO and Adventure and chat it up with my guild. I had all this motivation to level skills or farm Items or rep.
    I thought it was the attraction of single player games being so high tech now but thats not it.
    I log into a MMO now and it seems like i'm just wasting my time by playing a game that promises fun later on, wading through grind or repetitive actions only designed to keep me paying and playing but not delivering anything close to an enjoyable experience.
    12 years of MMOs and now I can't even stand being logged into one of these games more than 10 minutes...... I don't get it.

Sounds like you realized how pointless it is to strive for progression just for the sake of progression.  And when the lure of progression by itself was no longer enough for you, you realized that the gameplay wasn't fun just for it's own sake.  And then you sat there staring at your computer and felt no desire to bother with it at all.

• maritpramaritpra Member UncommonPosts: 43

I'm playing WAR and have fun.

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

The problem is you've been doing the same thing for so long.  Until we get something thats completely different than what we've been playing, I think most of us will feel that way.  I haven't been playing since UO, but I started with FFXI and I'm pretty damn bored with MMOs.  I recently started playing WAR again, and pretty much only log in for some quick PvP action.  I'm tired of grinding for exp, rep, tokens, whatever.  It's all the same shit.

• andmillerandmiller Member Posts: 374

Well in all hoensty, the games released in the last few years have not been very good.  If you were a fan of shooters, and there was a 3 year lull where most of the releases were lousy, then you would "feel" burned out by shooters, even though it is really just the fact that they have been really, really bad.

At some point someone is going to release something good that gets "most" of us excited again.  I say "most" because there is definitely that contingent that will never be happy, but they are just negative people in general.

• QuagliaQuaglia Member Posts: 60

Same feeling here.

I'm awya from MMOs world since last january, at the moment nothing is going to attract me in the genre.

Maybe SW:TOR will light a sparkle of interest. At the moment I'm waitig fpr a lot of single player games and playing old classics.. and having  lot of fun.

• JGMIIIJGMIII Member Posts: 1,282
    Originally posted by Zorgo

Simple solution. Find a new hobby.
    I used to collect star wars figures. Then I stopped having fun playing with them. So I stopped buying them. But I didn't get mad at Kenner because I grew up.

I sometimes have trouble expressing myself through text, did my post come off as me being mad at MMO developers?

That wasn't my intention tbh.

• FubarboxFubarbox Member UncommonPosts: 30

I have this problem as well. I have been playing since EQ1 launch and I used to rush to the PC to log on and play an mmo for hours. Now, I really want to play one and enjoy it, but every time I log onto one I get this bored/what is the point/grindy disconect. I find myself not wanting to log on.

It will be sad if that magic never comes back, because this was a hobby my wife and I shared. I am just not sure if I am burnt out, have nothing good to play (Aion even made me feel like stated above), or if I have just unconciously made the decision to move on if I like it or not.

For now I have decided to lay off MMOs until Blizzards or the new Bioware one is released. Perhaps with some time away and a little console gaming I will be refreshed and enjoying MMOs again.

• GoronianGoronian Member Posts: 724

Same here... Only I started MMOs three years ago. Three years. Is it because of me? Or maybe something in the games themselves?

I hate WoW because it made my plush hamster kill himself, created twin clones of Hitler, punched Superboy Prime in reality, stared my dog down, spoiled my grandmother, assimilated me into the Borg, then made me into a real boy, just to make me a woman again.

• shamus252shamus252 Member UncommonPosts: 226

Same feeling here also. I used to love MMO's and would spend hr's every week playing them non stop. But last few yr's MMO's make me sick I can play one and have fun for a few weeks or months but thats about it.

Sic semper tyrannis "Democracy broke down, not when the Union
    ceased to be agreeable to all its constituent States, but when it was upheld, like any other Empire, by force of arms."

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Yes, MMO's nowadays lack depth.

Yes, it might change soon. FF14 is the one with most potential for those who like asian MMO's, SW:TOR for the western audience. Other than that, most companies won't improve (even Blizzard)

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Same here,

MMO right now offer nothing I haven't already done in EQ. The leveling, classes, high-fantasy, solo -> group -> raid, holy trinity (tank/healer/dps) is all copied from EQ. I don't get how reviewers even tolerate this garbage anymore. Stuff like Aion getting good reviews seriously bothers me, how many time can you copy the same games and how long can the same old companies hold the strangehold on MMO games.

I do play Street Gears though, it's a roller blade MMO and pretty fun. MMO do not need to be the same thing over and over, but as long as the same companies (SoE, Blizzard, NCsoft) have the biggest budgets, they don't care and will keep making the same crap and the same people will keep buying it.

• nobodycoolnobodycool Member UncommonPosts: 82

In the beginning your cup is very small and it takes little to fill it. As you grow your cup gets bigger and the same amount will not fill it anymore. I think a lot of us are waiting for something to come along and fill our cups again. (For those confused by my analogy, the cup is your expectation.)

• vinzonevinzone Member UncommonPosts: 255

Wow I was starting to think I was the only one, but it turns out there are more people that feel the same way I do.

I just recently started playing Vanguard because of the free vet month and it is the first MMO ive played in about 2-3 Months, First 2 weeks were great, I was having fun couldn't wait to play each day and now I'm already feeling bored and when I check out the other MMOs that are out I realise none of them even look interesting to me at the moment...

It really sucks tbh I've been playing MMOs for so many years now I'm not going to give up on the genre, but it seems for the time being I do have to take a break from them because they just arent as fulfilling as they once were.

Edit: Just read the post above mine, completely agree.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

Happens to me too, especially when I keep switching MMOs for too long instead of focusing on a single one. When that happens, just take a break and go play some FPS, RTS or any other genre, even Flash Games work.  You just need to have some gaming fun (or not gaming, maybe you can do that in RL) without progressions or roleplaying or leveling. Eventually you'll get bored of that, and lust for the progression, levels again. And then you can choose a title to play for a while, and the cycle restarts.

Aion is my choice for this title that I'll be playing until I get bored. In my past "cycles", my focused titles were UO, GW and RF Online, managed to focus on these titles for 1~2 years each (with once in a while a week break to play multiple MMOs), RF Online was my longest and newest addiction, which means I have done this method of "refreshing the addiction" three times. It works for more, might not work with you, but then you just need to find what you want to do (or what you don't want to do).

Fun in RPGs depend on roleplaying your character, "feeling" it, the virtual world, lore, story, etc. Fun in MMOs depend on friends, guilds, communities. If you get both, you have a long-lasting fun-addiction result, just make sure it doesn't start to mess up your RL.

Good luck.

• renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728

same here.... just take a break (like 3 months)  

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• JGMIIIJGMIII Member Posts: 1,282
    Originally posted by rensta

same here.... just take a break (like 3 months)  

Yeah I've been playing alot of Madden NFL and Street Fighter IV on my 360 with my brother (Great games to play with friends and a couple cases of beer lol).

Just some simple fun until I find something that can hold me.

• busdriverbusdriver Member Posts: 859
    Originally posted by Waterlily

Same here,
    MMO right now offer nothing I haven't already done in EQ. The leveling, classes, high-fantasy, solo -> group -> raid, holy trinity (tank/healer/dps) is all copied from EQ. I don't get how reviewers even tolerate this garbage anymore. Stuff like Aion getting good reviews seriously bothers me, how many time can you copy the same games and how long can the same old companies hold the strangehold on MMO games.
    I do play Street Gears though, it's a roller blade MMO and pretty fun. MMO do not need to be the same thing over and over, but as long as the same companies (SoE, Blizzard, NCsoft) have the biggest budgets, they don't care and will keep making the same crap and the same people will keep buying it.

I agree so much it actually hurts. IMO, I doubt we see much progress until game AI gets much better than what we see today. Too bad that AI seems to be the last thing on developers must-improve list.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Yeah I've been playing alot of Madden NFL and Street Fighter IV on my 360 with my brother (Great games to play with friends and a couple cases of beer lol).
    Just some simple fun until I find something that can hold me.

I remember some of your early posts about WAR. You were one of the most excited people I've ever read about it. It sounded like you found your long lost soulmate, lol.

A few weeks later, your posts went down in enthusiasm until you finally posted you quit. I remember you saying you were disappointed at that because of its potential. I see plenty of people post that way. After Vanguard same thing happened. And AoC. And Tabula Rasa. And Shadowbane. Etc, etc, etc.

I think that may have had something to do with why you are sour on MMOs. It's like breaking up with a girl you were dating for a bit that broke your heart. You really don't want to date much after that and look at things critically.

Just give it a little time. AION will be better than WAR guaranteed and there are a few others coming out different enough that you would want to try them. Fallen Earth, Champions Online, maybe Mortal Online.

I just think WAR kicked you in the nuts and now you whince everytime you see a boot.

• InterestingInteresting Member UncommonPosts: 972

I feel the same as the TS. Every new MMO release something dies inside of me. The genre de-evolved is the reason I found.

What I do about it is to make more and more people understand and feel the same, so we might become legion and developers start caring about us again.

• InterestingInteresting Member UncommonPosts: 972

We all should have a group hug!

ok ok