Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting over. I just can`t wait can you?

Gothic0420Gothic0420 Member UncommonPosts: 64

While I fully understand why we won't be transfering our characters from Vana'diel to Eorzea, it would be nice to bring some souvenirs from Vana'diel to our new homes.

It just makes me think back at when I was just starting out in Vana`diel. New to the world don`t know how to do a lot and just going out and lving. I was a whm when i started ( still love my WHM :D ) getting lv 11 and going to La Theine Plateau scared out of my mind cause i didnt go to the HP before coming in, and I don`t want to run all the way back to my party, SO we are Parting at the pond. Exp was good and flowing.just makes me laugh.

So, Question. When was the frist time you was completely taken in by FFX1 ?

Give a good story and it will bring back good memories for all of us :D

Can`t wait!!!

[/url]

Comments

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

FFXI memories…. For me it was with my whm tarutaru and going into the Maze of Shakhrami for the first couple of times. For me it was when the game really picked up. Where I could find groups and we were fighting other groups to get the worms. I also remember the first time I ran into the Labyrinth Scorpion, it totally freaked me out! That whole time was fun for me.

Another good time was getting to Jeuno and going to Qufim Island. That is when I learned that you could sneak past some undead and stuff. It was fun because it was also a race against time. I remember fighting and then night would fall and like everyone in the entire zone would run back to the entrance for fear of the undead that appear. It was neat and it game me a "we are all in this together" type of feeling.

There are other moments, like doing my bard quests to get the bard specific armor and stuff. That was a lot of fun… so many good times and so few bad times. Even with dying and the higher difficult of FFXI I was just in an overall better mood. Loved it.

• curiindicuriindi Member Posts: 488

Our first trips to Jeuno need no story telling. :)

• MustaphaMondMustaphaMond Member UncommonPosts: 341

Several... and, I'm wordy and have atrocious grammar.  Oh well, nobody reads walls of text anyway.

----------------------

As fresh and green as they come, one of many NA PC players making our first attempts to level in the n00b areas.... I remember lvling my whm taru in east saru, just outside of the city gate (by the small pond).  A yag spawned behind me just as I finishing up a mandy.  I prepared to eat dust... then, outta nowhere, a high-lvl JPN WHM named Rubixiii (or something like that) rescued me.  It was my first time to use my emotes, and the auto-translator.  I was glad to send "thank you" and /bow.  As soon as I bowed she motioned joyfully back and even stayed around and kept an eye on me for 10-20 minutes.  With a /goodbye from her, and plenty of /bow's and /cry's from me, she left.  It was a minor event, but stuck with me for some reason.

Other great moments = lvling BLM in the maze, especially learning how to solo the mazemakers there with BLM and a whole lot of patience and luck.  I realized grouping was better, and typically would group when possible, but it was a great challenge tearing apart 2-3 worms in a row while nearby parties of a similar level struggled to take down just one in the same amount of time...  I will always hate *rasp* for this reason, though.   This eventually led to soloing bull dhamels and rarabs in bubu for my subjob items (just hoping I would somehow get help with the undead spawn on the beach).  Yeah, screw the dunes subjob quest... I wasn't dealing with that cluster #*@(.  Instead, I'd take the road less traveled... and, funny thing... while soloing, a few players running by saw what I was doing and (obviously having read up on it), joined me.  In short time, we had a complete party and everyone had the dhamel spit and whatever item the rarab dropped... but, just as we got our last dhamel spit drop, two bulls linked and the party started to run for Mhaura.  I got pissed off, my HP was in mhaura anyway so I had little to loose, and almost out of mana I just yelled "stop running... fight!" in party chat and 2 hr'ed, bound the "loose" dhamel and just nuked the shit out of it until it dropped.... then, went right on to the next and nuked away, knowing fully well that I was sure to die... At the end of the battle, it had used its berserk-like skill (maybe it's even called beserk, can't remember) and was wailing on me, very low hp... no mana... so, I just popped out my staff and hit back.  It did nothing as far as damage goes of course, the pt managed to kill it in time, but it was just the moment and notion that I would die with a weapon in my hand, by god.  The party cheered and a higher lvl JPN RDM passing by, who saw what just happened, healed us up and eventually helped us get our skulls from the ghost spawns.  I will never forget how much I feel like I earned that subjob when I unlocked it and how happy we all were.  Our little group of n00bs offered that JPN RDM every measly thing we had.  He was pretty cool and refused most of our stuff, but we were offering the little we had of value (stacks of silk, a little gil, etc.).

Best experience though was getting into a kick ass PUG with nearly all JPN players.  We were in Quifm, I was WHM, and after several hours of consistent chains, plenty of levels, and everyone having fun... there was some down time.  Up to that point, we all were just playing our jobs and doing our parts with little communication, but during that little break one of the JPN taru's went up to an NA hume RDM who was "/sit"ting on the ground.  Lining their characters up just right, the JPN taru made it look like their head fit on top of the hume body.  I immediately /clapped and /laughed.  After that, the party really loosened up and even though we all barely could speak to each other, there were friendly and genuine emotes shared back and forth and we continued tearing through pugs (until we moved on to crabs).

That particular party ended with one of my best memories.  We were tearing through crabs like nothing, so much so that we had two pullers looking at once and every once and awhile they would pull mobs at the same time...  Toward the end of our chain, as hp/mp were getting low, disaster struck and they pulled two at once and a worm spawned in our camp.  It was a sure death, but the party just stuck there to take it... knowing running was pretty much pointless. As we prepared for death I rushed forward, managed to get off benediction just as we were all dying... I /panicked and /waved goodbye at whatever mob was knocking the hell out of me... but, fortunately, the melees just managed to get enough TP to throw a skill chain and we survived.  The party disbanded awhile after (it was 5am and I asked them to stop in 30 min. ... I think they were nice and just stopped right away).  Still, as we waved goodbye the JPN players all sent me "nice to meet you" messages and friend request.  Okay, it helps if you were a whm, but part of that was because it was just a fun PUG and while it didn't happen all of the time, I liked how the grouping element of XI allowed for these types of experiences.

• Gothic0420Gothic0420 Member UncommonPosts: 64
    Originally posted by MustaphaMond

That particular party ended with one of my best memories.  We were tearing through crabs like nothing, so much so that we had two pullers looking at once and every once and awhile they would pull mobs at the same time...  Toward the end of our chain, as hp/mp were getting low, disaster struck and they pulled two at once and a worm spawned in our camp.  It was a sure death, but the party just stuck there to take it... knowing running was pretty much pointless. As we prepared for death I rushed forward, managed to get off benediction just as we were all dying... I /panicked and /waved goodbye at whatever mob was knocking the hell out of me... but, fortunately, the melees just managed to get enough TP to throw a skill chain and we survived.  The party disbanded awhile after (it was 5am and I asked them to stop in 30 min. ... I think they were nice and just stopped right away).  Still, as we waved goodbye the JPN players all sent me "nice to meet you" messages and friend request.  Okay, it helps if you were a whm, but part of that was because it was just a fun PUG and while it didn't happen all of the time, I liked how the grouping element of XI allowed for these types of experiences.

LOL epic !

[/url]

• Gothic0420Gothic0420 Member UncommonPosts: 64
    Originally posted by curiindi

Our first trips to Jeuno need no story telling. :)

well our first trips to Jeuno was long as hard. but we did learn the short cut!

[/url]

• LexingtonLexington Member Posts: 73

there was this time for me, when the game just game out in america for the PC, and they just raised the level cap to level 75.  I had played a WHM, and when i got to about level 30, i decided i needed an emperors hairpin.  So like any NEET i went to go camp on him, and as it was my first time i really didnt know what i was doing, sure, ive been in the area before when i was leveling up on the beach crabs at earlier levels....but when i got their, i wasnt even sure if i was really "there".  At one point i got off my chocobo, and just kinda stood their;  of course this is after i noticed 2-3 people standing stil in the vacinity, i thought "this has to be it!",

So there i am, just standing there, and its only seconds before i get utterly bored, i start walking in circles, just to entertain myself...as which im easily entertained.  Then, all at once, i stop spinning, my head hurts a little, and i look straight, and i notice something, only about 15 feet away, it was the Emperor!...so i was like....Dia!  and i got it!, or at least thats what i thought.

Just immediantly, he was doing so much damage to me, i was starting to become overwhelmed, i casted the nessecary protection spells which helped, and decided id just whack him down with my staff, i might be able to do it, but so early in the match i had to use "Divine Sea" + Cure 2, and give myself a quick boost.  after that i tried to keep my mana usage to a minimum, i casted dia once or twice more, but relized i needed to save it just for the Cure's id be doing on myself.

After my weapon skill has charged up to 300%, i decided to use Earth Shaker, and i did a whopping blow to him and now hes down to 1/3, but so am i amazaingly.  at this point all i can think is "im gonna die im gonna die im gonna die ahhhhhhhhhhhh".  And while this is all going on i have to move myself around to avoid goblin links, aparently i needed to stay away from the undeadas they still aroed me..

One thing i noticed was the 14 people who have gathered around me. so i decided to ask for help, so im like "can someone please help me", and they just stood there!, i was like, WTF - A HOLES!

Now at this time i was totally depreseed, i totally thought i was gonna die, i new i could still use benedictions, but the amount of dmg i was doing and the amount of dmg he was doing, i knew it wouldnt be enough.  and then, there i was, looking at my skils, and before i knew it, 15 minutes had passed(yes it was actually a long battle), and my Divine seal skill had regenerated, so before anyhting i used my last Cure 2 MP and divine seal to heal myself, then i poped off another 300% Earthshaker weapon skill.  now hes only down to about 1/10 his HP, and i have only 100 hp left, before anyhting, im like "I can do this!" , and i use benediction the second i drop even 1 hp under 100.

and then i hit him, for 20 dmg, and then he hits me twice for 50 dmg each, and then i hit him for 20 dmg, and he hits me once for 38 dmg....ect....and before i know it, im at 14hp, and i just gained my 100% weapon skills., and eve tho ive hit him a couple times, it seems as tho his HP never went down.  At this moment, time stoped.  i knew it was over, i thought i had lost, but i decided to use my weapon skill, crying, hope`ing and praying for it, and BAM he goes down!  And before i knew it i had won, with 20 people gathered around me, waiting for me to die.  And then there it was!, an Emperors Hairpin!, so Golden and pretty, and uber!  I put it on and walk around on my spectators, and mock then and tell them their a-holes!  and then, all of a sudden, a goblin comes out of no where and kills me, and yet, at that moment, i could have cared less, cuase i had an emperors hairpin, and you didnt!  =)

• DeViLmAn0DeViLmAn0 Member UncommonPosts: 201

brings back memories of FFXI , ah.. props to you for walking away with that hairpin at the end *cheers* i had a somewhat similiar adventure so to speak, me and 2 others or so were out tryin to spot and get us a set of leaping boots to sell, one of us had gone back to town to get something so it was me and one other person split off checkin different spots out. i get lucky and i see lizzy pop, i draw the aggro whilst calling my comrades to come help. of course i also drew a larger crowd as i realized i was doin ok damage against lizzy, but not enough, i was dying. so i started making a run for it draggin lizzy behind me as she piece by piece chewed away at my @ss tryin to head toward my closest ally..

sadly.. my story didnt end as well as yours. but i agree when it comes to NM people dont care. they figure they'll watch u die as u soften it up, then steal the glory for themselves. so i commend you on ur victory on obtaining the hairpin.

on that note ill be keepin tabs on FFXIV as well, hope it turns out well

Waiting For: FF14,Guild Wars2
    RIP: Tabula Rasa&Hellgate:London(online)
    Playing:Fallen Earth&Guild Wars& Dragon Age

• PantheosPantheos Member UncommonPosts: 56

My best story is far less epic, well maybe not. I'd just come back to FFXI as I had to deal with RL for a while and I come back playing my Mithra Rng/Nin and this was after Chains had come out but before Aht Urghan or wings of the goddess. So I remember my new LS was doing CoP and I was like, ok, never done that before. After having to buy all new gear (That I'd sold before) so that I would have good gear for the level cap we go in to one of them, can't remember which one think the one over by Windhurst.

After fighting our way through and a lot of running while hoping not to aggro anything we get to the boss fight and I'm standing on my little ledge watching the paladin, warrior, and monk tear it up while I'm trying to find the sweet spot for max range damage while shooting (Never did get that little add on for distance or whatnot).

We're all wailing away and the monk uses hundred fists and the like, we're burning through it but our healer runs out of MP, people start falling right and left. I'm the only one left standing and it's coming for me, I wind up and hit it with everything I had, drop it, then die to poison just as the WHM uses re-raise earring and brought us all back so we could finish it.

I know, not as cool as fighting Maat as a RDM or anything and winning, but still was a lot of fun. Like playing dragoon or drk and ripping aggro off the tank on mandies just because I had wicked crit chains and no way to dodge aggro yet. Lots of little things... like running from my first Tremor Ram and getting splatted cuz of a little barb wire fence I couldn't even see from a distance.

• KillianxKillianx Member Posts: 4

I think it was my first day playing when I unknowning attacked the NM sheep in gusta and a 20WHM and 50MNK saved me and I was awed by the power the possessed thinking back i think thats the main reason i continued to play and also one of the reasons i believe that FFXI had one of the friendlier communities

• DeViLmAn0DeViLmAn0 Member UncommonPosts: 201

NM sheep? i think i know which ones ur talking about. werent here 2 or 3 different ones in that one open area?

Waiting For: FF14,Guild Wars2
    RIP: Tabula Rasa&Hellgate:London(online)
    Playing:Fallen Earth&Guild Wars& Dragon Age

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

In the zone right next to valcrum dunes, the HUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGEEE sheep. I was traveling with a huge progression wave of players as the server was new and my group was killing stuff and there where like 100 other players in the area, then this tremmor ram or whatever it is called came and 1 shot our entire group while i was afk and then as i got back all my group members where like, RUN!!!, the japanese players where using translater to tell me to ":Tremmor ram:  :Retreat:" , then as i started running the ram chased me and the entire ground was shaking then it did some slam and crit me for like 2000 dmg or something, which is more than my meger 100 something hp.

The ram continued to wreak havok and kil just about every single player in the zone as we where all prety close together. No mercy even for the poor mithra trying to heal up on there mithkabobs.

I think it all took place because one of our members saw the ram and the screen shaking, and while I was afk and they where just standing around talking about it, one of the members casted dia on it or something...

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090
    Originally posted by denshing

In the zone right next to valcrum dunes, the HUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGEEE sheep.

Lumbering Lambert

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Man so many great adventures in this game it is hard to pick one or remember the last one.  The first time I jumed on a chocobo, the first trip to Jeuno from Bastok, the summon battles, getting the emperors hairpin drop, the airship battles, joining my friends to get carby's mitts, dinging 30 and beginning to unlock subjobs each of which was an adventure in itself, spending weeks obtaining my first AF set refusing to use online guides or help from higher ups, magicked skull farming, finding the raft shortcut in bastok mines, the ruby leech hunting, the first time I wiped my party flashing the wrong mob in bhoyada, meeting cid in game, joining an arranged static for 1-max leveling, blink tanking an IT as ninja for the first time with 11 people watching... man almost every session had something tough, rewarding, and special about it. 

I pray that FFXIV has the same challenge and mysteries to uncover.  I understand though why they would add some casual.  As amazing as it was I pretty much can't play XI now due to having a wife and a newborn child.  I hope they find the perfect balance.

• StuckovStuckov Member UncommonPosts: 101

Ahh its been such a long time since then but I remember when I first started. I couldnt have picked a more common toon or class...A Male Hume Warrior. I lvled so fast and passed all my friends at the time so it was almost a must to seek and be invited to JPN parties, there were barely any NA at that level seeking not to mention the right combination of them...

One day around lvl 13 or so I was invited into a JPN party as a tank. I tried to do my best but I remember I was still such a big noob... I had no idea what a skillchain was nevermind coordinating my attack with my party members and getting it to link hehe. I can not tell you what a feeling I got when I linked my weaponskill to make a skillchain. It is things like these that just make FFXI such a wonderfull game, having to discover new things either through practice or through the help of others. No one ever tells you right off the bat what you can do with your weapon skills, at the time I  did not even have any idea that they existed in the game. I think that is the first thing that made me love this game.

When I was lvl 26 I believe I was in a party tanking when one of our members left and we were stuck looking for a new guy. It did not take long but we managed to get a PLD.  I had not partied with a Paladin untill that time and throughout that party I was always trying to keep agro... after all I WAS THE TANK...It did not take me long to figure out there was no way for me to hold aggro against that PLD and that is when I fell in love with PLD and from that moment on I worked to become the best PLD I could.

• PRlNCEPRlNCE Member Posts: 15

Great memories but 2010 :( I WANT IT NOW (before i get to old...)

• InayaInaya Member Posts: 27

FFXI was the first online MMO I played.  I created my character and after exploring, cautiously walked out the gates of Bastok.  I crept outside and decided to hit something, a bee or something like that.  I was doing absolutely no damage, wondering what was wrong.  Another player came by and taught me to equip a weapon (I think, its been years).  I thanked them and went on fighting.  A short time later the realization hit me.  That player was a real live human being somewhere in the WORLD!  It was at that moment, about an hour into my first experience, that I became hopelessly addicted.  A few hours later I met another noobie RDM and we still keep in contact to this day.

• SortisSortis Member UncommonPosts: 193

I got the game at launch and after spending countless hours patching I finally got in game and created my character Sortis (Hume Monk). After hitting level 8 and sumbling upon the Kenpo gear I ran to Sandoria to group with my friend (Elvaan Warrior). I remember we ran around Ronfaure forever and finally stumbled upon the Kings Tomb and delved right in! It was a blast I tell you! Discovering the world of Vanadiel for the first time! I love the game still to this day I really do.

My favorite MMO to be honest its an odd thing though that I dont play it...its just job system and economy that ruined it for me. I like freedom of choice and the idea that you have to sub certain jobs at certain times just gave the feeling of constraint for me. That and no solo content for when you have to wait for parties. Everything else in that game was golden, the world was breath taking and the jobs themselves are still in my opinion better than the traditional fantasy classes, and lets all be honest Dragoon is probably the most unique fantasy RPG class ever created nobody has anything quite like it. People have mixed and matched ideas to make hybrids but Final Fantasy is the only franchise to actually come up with something 100% unique. Perhaps thats what makes this company so amazing they dont necessarily steal ideas like sony and blizzard, but they take an idea that may or may not be good and put their own completely new and unique spin on it and make it 10x better than it was before. Anyway i'm rambling, nice hearing everyones stories on here :) good thread!

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162

I think "I love this game" really sunk in was my first trip to Quifm being chased by dancing swords and Wights.

No other game ever gave me that sense of awe and fear, partying at the base of the tower..

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Oh man, so many memories, it's hard to narrow it down to even 2 or 3... I don't think there's been any single event that got me totally hooked on XI. I think it was a succession of minor and not-so-minor things.

As was mentioned, the first time to Jeuno is always epic (at least as a newbie, without higher level help). Being a new player in a strange world where no one else knows what's going on any more than I do, and those who do have a clue live half way around the world... It all just made for an amazing experience overall. I've yet to see anything match it.

I've got a novel's worth to tell... My first time to Jeuno and the hilarity that ensued, completing my 2-3 fight where I was the only non Japanese player in the group, with only one of them being bi-lingual and the great conversation that took place as we discussed and asked questions about our different cultures, etc.... The mayhem I witnessed my first time stepping out of the tunnel on Qufim... Getting completely lost my first time in Crawler's Nest... Some of the epic wipes I witnessed and was part of - sometimes multiple times - back before the mobs "de-popped"... seeing my first set of RDM and DRG AF and stalking the players all over Windurst trying to check it out... Wanting to "curl up in a corner" (figuratively speaking) after going through the cut-scenes for the Rank 4 missions (such a dark twist it takes...), and on and on...

It's awesome to see the stories from others in this thread, though. It really brings out, I think, what makes FFXI such a "special" (cheesy word as it is) MMO to so many of us who've played it for all this time. And I think it's why we're sorta "protective" (for lack of a better word) of FFXIV and hope that, even while making it friendlier to casual players, that SE doesn't lose that "something" that made FFXI so great.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

Originally posted by WSIMike

Oh man, so many memories, it's hard to narrow it down to even 2 or 3... I don't think there's been any single event that got me totally hooked on XI. I think it was a succession of minor and not-so-minor things.

As was mentioned, the first time to Jeuno is always epic (at least as a newbie, without higher level help). Being a new player in a strange world where no one else knows what's going on any more than I do, and those who do have a clue live half way around the world... It all just made for an amazing experience overall. I've yet to see anything match it.

I've got a novel's worth to tell... My first time to Jeuno and the hilarity that ensued, completing my 2-3 fight where I was the only non Japanese player in the group, with only one of them being bi-lingual and the great conversation that took place as we discussed and asked questions about our different cultures, etc.... The mayhem I witnessed my first time stepping out of the tunnel on Qufim... Getting completely lost my first time in Crawler's Nest... Some of the epic wipes I witnessed and was part of - sometimes multiple times - back before the mobs "de-popped"... seeing my first set of RDM and DRG AF and stalking the players all over Windurst trying to check it out... Wanting to "curl up in a corner" (figuratively speaking) after going through the cut-scenes for the Rank 4 missions (such a dark twist it takes...), and on and on...

It's awesome to see the stories from others in this thread, though. It really brings out, I think, what makes FFXI such a "special" (cheesy word as it is) MMO to so many of us who've played it for all this time. And I think it's why we're sorta "protective" (for lack of a better word) of FFXIV and hope that, even while making it friendlier to casual players, that SE doesn't lose that "something" that made FFXI so great.

Very well said!!!  I too had the pleasure of experience all that and more!  Of all the MMOs I've played {that being more than 120 so far} FFXI stands out as the pinnacle of my greatest adventures and stories I've ever had!

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Hopefully we get to hear about more info soon. Only one thing I hope stays true is that the online community for FF stays completely awesome.

More than likely we'll get more info at TGS:

CESA announced today that next year's show will be held in late September. The organization is considering holding the event either from the 24th through the 27th or from the 25th through the 27th.

and/or the FFXI Fan Festival later this winter!

• SortisSortis Member UncommonPosts: 193
    Originally posted by Khrymson

More than likely we'll get more info at TGS:
    CESA announced today that next year's show will be held in late September. The organization is considering holding the event either from the 24th through the 27th or from the 25th through the 27th.
    and/or the FFXI Fan Festival later this winter!

Well hopefuly we will get bits of info between now and then. btw would you hold it agaisnt me if i ganked your sig Khrymson? XD

• KingKaioKingKaio Member Posts: 48

I met the party that made me fall in love with FFXI while I was failing miserably at leveling in La Theine. 2 WHMs and a RDM ran past me and asked if I wanted to pt in the dunes. It was my first week into the game and I had no idea what they meant at the time but I followed them. They explained to me how to used my Warrior in a pt and we went from there. We leveled, got pwned, laughed, it was the most fun I ever had. After we all got our level we said our goodbyes and I logged off thinking I would probably never see those guys again. The next day I logged on I got a PM from the RDM asking me if I wanted to pt in the dunes again, the four of us partied in the dunes together for about 2 weeks (it felt like a month).

In all the MMOs I've played since I havent had an experience that can match the friendship and the fun I had with them.