Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A few impressions by a newcomer..

ValhamaValhama Member Posts: 169

Hey folks!

So, I've been playing on a trial account now for almost five days now... I'm really enjoying my experience so far. A little background on my MMO history, I've played EQ, WoW and City of heroes/villains. They're all fun for a week, at which point you realize what they really are. Copies of each other trying to emulate a specific success by doing nothing new, just pasting a new theme over what is nothing more than a pixel grind.

That's why EvE is a breath of fresh air to me. Not only is it not a grind to the best loots, it's a harsh and unforgiving game. I love this, because to those who use their heads, it's a great advantage and opportunity for much excitement and profit. Killing someone actually has a consequence for both players! *GASP* =P

Now with this said, I have a few things I'd like to point out that perhaps the more experienced players and members of the official forum could answer. I have searched through the forums, and I haven't found anyone discussing these issues.

So straight in,  why are there no shield animations? It's not a huge issue to me, but it does sort of break the immersion. I'm a huge shield fan, in games and any general science fiction work. Not sure what exactly it is about them that I love so, but I do. It would be nice to actually see the shield activate outside of the ship, creating a protective barrier when the weapon makes contact. (Like in Star Trek or Stargate)

I do realize this could create more lag, but it would be PC related, I doubt it would create latency lag, so it's up to the player if he wants it or not. ^_^

My last concern and more of an idea than anything, is the inability to cross stellar distances without using an instantaneous stargate or "jump drive" that I hear Titans have. Now this idea may not be very popular because it would require a lot of time investment on the part of the explorer, but I propose a new type of warp drive be created, I've just thought of a name to give it:

- Quantum Warp field generator / Creates a subspace differentiation in greater magnitude than ordinary warp drives, allowing for much better capacitor usage and Subsequentially, further travel time before discontinuing to recharge. This could also allow for somewhat faster travel, at 20 AU per second. Traveling towards another solar system 1-2 LY away would take about an hour or two.

Along the way, there would be a chance to capture deepspace inconsistencies, like black holes, neutron stars, supernovas, alien races, etc... perhaps even opening up a new way to explore uncharted solar systems that CCP could add in, requiring the use of this quantum drive to get to, and allowing us to build our own stargates when we colonize and explore these new solar systems. ^_^

Comments

• XennithXennith Member Posts: 1,244

we all want gateless travel to be honest. welcome aboard.

• DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144

The shield animation only shows when you are in a fight.

Jump drives are massive and only a few ships like the black ops battleships are small enough to house such systems.

Any and all suggestions need to be made on the official board, wheather they use it is another matter.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Xennith

Gates are like square movement in muds, it opens so many ways for different types of mechanics. It onl makes the game better.

Gates rock!

• ValhamaValhama Member Posts: 169
    Originally posted by DevilXaphan

The shield animation only shows when you are in a fight.

Jump drives are massive and only a few ships like the black ops battleships are small enough to house such systems.

Any and all suggestions need to be made on the official board, wheather they use it is another matter.

Nah there is no shield animation at all. I'm playing on the maximum settings with every effect on, and there's no shield animation when a weapon fires on a ship, it simply hits the armor.

Originally posted by Xennith

Thanks. =]

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

Shield boosters and Invul fields provide graphics when activated but since the last patch the graphic has been reduced. Armor and hull repairers do as well, but if your looking for something that impacts the shields and protects the ship sadly it doesn't happen.

As for Warp travel I think many would agree with you. The problem is much of EVE space has been occupied for a very long time by powerful groups, and they see the space as their own. I think CCP is careful not to do anything that would allow too much infringement that cannot be controlled or defended

• qwenidenqweniden Member Posts: 151

Originally posted by Valhama

Not only is it not a grind to the best loots

Its a grind for ISK and ore instead.

All MMORPGs are a grind for something. Luckily I like grinding.

Originally posted by qazyman

Shield boosters and Invul fields provide graphics when activated but since the last patch the graphic has been reduced. Armor and hull repairers do as well, but if your looking for something that impacts the shields and protects the ship sadly it doesn't happen.
    As for Warp travel I think many would agree with you. The problem is much of EVE space has been occupied for a very long time by powerful groups, and they see the space as their own. I think CCP is careful not to do anything that would allow too much infringement that cannot be controlled or defended

Aye I was definitely talking about a shield impact animation, as in a shield that extends much more beyond the ship itself than what you see with a shield booster (like in star trek, or stargate sg-1/atlantis). Hopefully they add it at some point. =]

Well these groups could still try to make claim to the uncharted regions, however; not everything would be easy even for them because the room for dynamic solar systems, and dependencies are previously obsolete concepts (like having to really explore to be able to go anywhere inside a solar system you find) could become in effect.

But ya, players could still establish stations in these systems after they've been explored, perhaps even setup stargates to allow fast travel, though if that were to be done there would need to be a limit of one stargate per system at least; so the quantum drive is still necessary in the future. ^_^

Originally posted by qweniden

Not only is it not a grind to the best loots

Its a grind for ISK and ore instead.

All MMORPGs are a grind for something. Luckily I like grinding.

I think this depends much more on how you play the game. For instance, for my first few days I've been doing a ton of missions and salvaging the loot for ISK, which can be boring, but it's all so I can start to PvP effectively and make a living in EvE via that means. In very few games can you PvP exclusively and really still "advance".

• qwenidenqweniden Member Posts: 151

In very few games can you PvP exclusively and really still "advance".

From what Ive seen, the vast majority of people in EvE dont advance via PvP.

There needs to be alot of industrial and missioning activity to support PvP. It may not be the PvPers who do this activity but someone has to.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

The few, the proud, the pod pilots hate any kind of animation or bright lights of any kind.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

There needs to be alot of industrial and missioning activity to support PvP. It may not be the PvPers who do this activity but someone has to.

^^ This

Primarily because PVP, unless you are very good at staying alive and making others dead at the same time, is very expensive.   Some pirates and some Mercs are able to advance and self-fund their gameplay strictly through PVP but most folks in the game supplement their PVP with various non-PVP activities to make isk in the game.

As to shield animations:  The only shield animations in the game are from hardeners and shield boosters.  A weapon hitting your ship doesn't generate any shield animation... though I admit it would be cool to see a star-trek TNG type shield bubble appear when weapons hit your shields....

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

Originally posted by Taram

^^ This

Primarily because PVP, unless you are very good at staying alive and making others dead at the same time, is very expensive.   Some pirates and some Mercs are able to advance and self-fund their gameplay strictly through PVP but most folks in the game supplement their PVP with various non-PVP activities to make isk in the game.

As to shield animations:  The only shield animations in the game are from hardeners and shield boosters.  A weapon hitting your ship doesn't generate any shield animation... though I admit it would be cool to see a star-trek TNG type shield bubble appear when weapons hit your shields....

Yeah, it's true that sometimes you really do just need ISK to get started, however if you join a good corporation, usually they have no problem helping you get on your feet and PvP ready. I suppose if you're just not very good at PvP or get real unlucky, you may have to "grind" out PvE to get some better ships/equipment for your pirating ventures, but eh. I actually happen to enjoy the PvE element, especially when I do so with friends.

And yeah... I think the word cool severely undermines how insanely awesome it would be to have shield animations like that. I sort of expected to see them in the Trinity expansion, because it was so heavy on graphical improvements. (I've been following the game for a while, just never played until now).

• MikeBBMikeBB Member Posts: 1

A shield effect would have been nice, but I think when you are going to have 100+ vs 100+ battles your machine will crawl to a halt trying to render those effects!

• strutter78strutter78 Member Posts: 90

I just started on a 21 day trial and so far I am liking what I see. I've just been doing missions so far, but one thing I've noticed is that the mission descriptions sometimes leave alot to be desired as in whats required to complete the mission. I'm stuck on pt6 of I think is a tutorial mission in Uitra where I have to find an outpost and destroy it, but can't seem to locate it. I have looked on a few sites for help, but the mission string is not in their lists....I wonder if it is a new string that was added in an update and hasn't been added to the sites yet.

Anyway...so far EVE seems enjoyable...I do like the sandbox training al la SWG pre CU....and the ships look cool

"I'm a Alpha male on Beta blockers"-The Immortal George Carlin

RIP
    Ronnie James Dio 2010(The greatest Voice in Rock)

Hehe, I rarely rely on my overview to locate structures. I just look in the game itself and find it fast.

Hehe, I rarely rely on my overview to locate structures. I just look in the game itself and find it fast.

Did that...the only things that were showing up were the wreaks of all the fighters I killed, the star gate and the space station that I got the mission from......oh well...I'll try to find it again tonight.

RIP

Oh haha, that's because you're not at the actual mission. You need to warp to the deadspace encounter location. =P

Did that too....it's an accelerator gate with some type of an array by it and an asteroid....and the quest isn't listed....pt 6 of 10 of Cash for Capsuleers from  Ranta Tarumo Uitra 6 Moon 4  State war Academy in the Forge......nothing at the array says its the outpost i'm supposed to destroy.....:/

RIP

Hmm I'm not sure. I might be able to help in-game if I can come to the physical location. I'll be on in a little while, names Drakarin.

• XennithXennith Member Posts: 1,244

activate the acceleration gate like you would with a stagate.

they really should put that in the tutorial, its a common questoin.

I agree. They've improved the tutorial, so I keep hearing, but there are a few basic things that could do with a mention.