Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

outdated look in the star trek verse

dwarflordkingdwarflordking Member Posts: 265

with the movie coming out and all the awesome new special effects, diverse types of aliens, and how bad ass the romulans look...  its just going to make this game look super nerdy and outdated with its old designs..

esp once the second movie comes out and they all look so much better..  and if the klingons and borg look super cool,

what will become of this game?

Comments

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

since i live 90 miles from a movie theatre ill have to take your word for it, but for now i havent watched the new trek movie, probably wont until the dvd is under 10 bucks or its on dish for free.  a new trek movie doesnt have much to do with trek fans and a game theyve been yearning for for decades imo, we want a fun online community game to go around like our old heroes of the past did, the trailers of this new movie youre talking about that ive seen didnt impress me, i mean first off it looked like they were building their ship on the ground, all the good ships in trek are built in orbitdal docks so meh to the new trek its hardly even canon from what ive seen, merely cannon fodder.

• dwarflordkingdwarflordking Member Posts: 265
    Originally posted by neorandom

since i live 90 miles from a movie theatre ill have to take your word for it, but for now i havent watched the new trek movie, probably wont until the dvd is under 10 bucks or its on dish for free.  a new trek movie doesnt have much to do with trek fans and a game theyve been yearning for for decades imo, we want a fun online community game to go around like our old heroes of the past did, the trailers of this new movie youre talking about that ive seen didnt impress me, i mean first off it looked like they were building their ship on the ground, all the good ships in trek are built in orbitdal docks so meh to the new trek its hardly even canon from what ive seen, merely cannon fodder.

honestly? who gives a rats ass what a super nerd thinks? i like the movie and so did everyone else. deal with it, it amazes me the only thing saving trek is this movie yet these god dam nerds dont support it.

go watch that onion story about trekkies

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by ricefarmer

honestly? who gives a rats ass what a super nerd thinks? i like the movie and so did everyone else. deal with it, it amazes me the only thing saving trek is this movie yet these god dam nerds dont support it.

You mean this Onion story?

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783

with the movie coming out and all the awesome new special effects, diverse types of aliens, and how bad ass the romulans look...  its just going to make this game look super nerdy and outdated with its old designs..
    esp once the second movie comes out and they all look so much better..  and if the klingons and borg look super cool,

I have not seen the movie yet (hope to get to see it this weekend), But I think I can already disagree with this assesment. I mean, look at the style they have chosen. This style can hold up for a long time. See the problem here is to make the game so that most people with modest computers can run it and have it look good. WoW doesn't have 10+ million subs because it has the best graphics in the world. (God I know, shoot me now, I mentioned WoW in a ST thread, WTH was I thinking!)

Anyways, I think the style that ST has chosen will do good. Frankly I would have liked a more EvE look to the game (space wise) but I dont think they will suffer with the way they went. However, if they had of chosen to go with what was currently the high end graphics, then yes, I think people would have been disappointed simply because even if they released next year, it would already have been outdated to begin with.

• dwarflordkingdwarflordking Member Posts: 265
    Originally posted by DoomsDay01

I have not seen the movie yet (hope to get to see it this weekend), But I think I can already disagree with this assesment. I mean, look at the style they have chosen. This style can hold up for a long time. See the problem here is to make the game so that most people with modest computers can run it and have it look good. WoW doesn't have 10+ million subs because it has the best graphics in the world. (God I know, shoot me now, I mentioned WoW in a ST thread, WTH was I thinking!)

Anyways, I think the style that ST has chosen will do good. Frankly I would have liked a more EvE look to the game (space wise) but I dont think they will suffer with the way they went. However, if they had of chosen to go with what was currently the high end graphics, then yes, I think people would have been disappointed simply because even if they released next year, it would already have been outdated to begin with.

youve completely missed the point.... its not about high end graphics.. its about  this game being an outdated "style" like how the romulans will look in the game, probably wiht the goofy stash on top of their shiny shirts. as oppose to the badass looking romulans in the movie.. and so on with all the other species

• DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783

youve completely missed the point.... its not about high end graphics.. its about  this game being an outdated "style" like how the romulans will look in the game, probably wiht the goofy stash on top of their shiny shirts. as oppose to the badass looking romulans in the movie.. and so on with all the other species

Nope, I did not miss the point at all. Who says this particular style wont allow for them to update it more easily? or if people will really care. Look at enterprise. I know many folks that actually quit watching it the first episode simply because the klingons had ridges and this broke cannon. The new movie is set in the past. regardless of how badass it looked, this game is set in the far future (compared to the new movie). I seriously doubt that it will cause a major concern in the game.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

I honestly doubt it will have any impact on the game, if it does, it will be very slight. Who would judge the game that really wants to play it on such an artificial thing?

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

No big deal in my opinion I don't think one character model can ruin gamers opinion of a game.... Look at most MMORPG's, most male avatars look, well, you know where I'm going with this..,

You also have to take into consideration that they've stated that you can create your own alien race.. So, create your own version of those 'bad ass romulans', and think of whatever version that's in game as inferior cross breeds.

brace yourselves super nerd moment inc.  klingons without ridges were a result of the klingons using the gene manipulation experiments of dr soung (datas creator dabbled in genetic mods before androids) that created khan and his ill fated kind.  the genetic virus delivery system that manipulated the genes didnt quite work with klingons (seen on enterprise series where dr flox cured them dieing of it) but resulted in a loss of ridges more aggression and stonger faster reflexes ect.  now i dont know if it was intended back when kirks klingons were flat heads or if they threw this in at the point of enterprise as a convenient explanation (khan and soungs saga was already long established so having the klingons steal the research and fubar it made perfect sense) but they definitely made it canon if it wasnt back then.  and as far as romulans looking badass, sorry theyre just vulcans that left instead of going along with emotion supression, they arent a seperate species theyre just emotional vulcans (and that is hard canon).

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I would wager that the amount of trekkie fans among the potential subscriber base for this game is quite small. So if this MMORPG only caters to old time trekkie fans then it will be a failure as it should cater to MMORPG fans, not just trekkie fans.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

I don't see how that is possible. The game takes place 30 years after Nemesis, which is a timeframe we haven't seen. The Federation is different(and not just in uniform,see pics) and so is the rest of the galaxy. With the ability to customize your ship in so many different ways, I don't see how any part of this game will look outdated. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

I sort of think of it as retro.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DragonSharkDragonShark Member UncommonPosts: 227

Since the new movie looked like Star Wars to me, I'd think that these special effects are dated too. 

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

correct me if i am wrong but the Romulan in that movie was a mining ship captain?  again correct me if i am wrong but does Star Trek the MMO only support players as Captains of fighting/exploring ships?  Now to me a mining captain is going to look a whole lot different to a fighter or explorer shio captain.  I would highly doubt the mining captain would wear a proper uniform (choosing comfort over looks) or even act like a proper captain.

I can see why you think the Romulan in that movie was awesome but seriously...aside from his face, would you really want those bland clothes?  Most people i know like to show off their character with awesome armour sets (or in this case, outfits) and i trust the devs to provide for those players.

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• catmaykatecatmaykate Member Posts: 45
    Originally posted by Death1942

correct me if i am wrong but the Romulan in that movie was a mining ship captain?  again correct me if i am wrong but does Star Trek the MMO only support players as Captains of fighting/exploring ships?  Now to me a mining captain is going to look a whole lot different to a fighter or explorer shio captain.  I would highly doubt the mining captain would wear a proper uniform (choosing comfort over looks) or even act like a proper captain.

I can see why you think the Romulan in that movie was awesome but seriously...aside from his face, would you really want those bland clothes?  Most people i know like to show off their character with awesome armour sets (or in this case, outfits) and i trust the devs to provide for those players.

You are right, it was a mining ship and they had face tattoos, if the poster watched the movie he would of seen spocks flash back on Romulus and seen that the romulans there look the same as vulcans

I guess he missed all that and was more into the explosions then the story line.

• WyluliWyluli Member Posts: 80

What, it's not insulting enough anymore to call someone a geek? I suppose you're not a nerd, sitting around on a forum talking about video games? Bad form sir, Your attitude is what's wrong with the world. I bet you voted for Bush too. :P

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

brace yourselves super nerd moment inc.  klingons without ridges were a result of the klingons using the gene manipulation experiments of dr soung (datas creator dabbled in genetic mods before androids) that created khan and his ill fated kind.  the genetic virus delivery system that manipulated the genes didnt quite work with klingons (seen on enterprise series where dr flox cured them dieing of it) but resulted in a loss of ridges more aggression and stonger faster reflexes ect.  now i dont know if it was intended back when kirks klingons were flat heads or if they threw this in at the point of enterprise as a convenient explanation (khan and soungs saga was already long established so having the klingons steal the research and fubar it made perfect sense) but they definitely made it canon if it wasnt back then.  and as far as romulans looking badass, sorry theyre just vulcans that left instead of going along with emotion supression, they arent a seperate species theyre just emotional vulcans (and that is hard canon).

There was that DS9 episode were they went back in time to the "Trouble with Tribbles" episode to prevent a Klingon spy from assassinating Kirk, and the DS9 crew looked at Worf and looked at the Klingons on K-7 and said (maybe not exact quotes but you get the idea) "Those are Klingons?!?", and Worf said "It's a long story".  I liked the STE episodes where they explained why Klingons of that era looked like humans with spray on tans and bushy eyebrows.  They made it canon instead of ignoring TOS cheesy FX.

I agree the only thing about the latest movie Romulans that made them look badass are the facial tattoos.  Not sure why they did that since I can't ever remember a Romulan in any version of Trek that had tattoos.

Originally posted by Darth_Osor

There was that DS9 episode were they went back in time to the "Trouble with Tribbles" episode to prevent a Klingon spy from assassinating Kirk, and the DS9 crew looked at Worf and looked at the Klingons on K-7 and said (maybe not exact quotes but you get the idea) "Those are Klingons?!?", and Worf said "It's a long story".  I liked the STE episodes where they explained why Klingons of that era looked like humans with spray on tans and bushy eyebrows.  They made it canon instead of ignoring TOS cheesy FX.

I agree the only thing about the latest movie Romulans that made them look badass are the facial tattoos.  Not sure why they did that since I can't ever remember a Romulan in any version of Trek that had tattoos.

The Enterprise Episode still doesn't explain Kang,Kor and Koloth's transformation from TOS to DS9. THe look isn't the only thing different about the Klingons. Their culture and customs were completely different as well and there was no explaining that. People just need to accept the fact that it was a design change and leave it alone. Star Trek broke it's own rules numerous times and this is just one example.

• PranksterPrankster Member UncommonPosts: 163

Seriously only the super nerds give a shit how the Romulans look. It's the only drwaback i can see to making a startrek game is that if say theres one extra window on the s-class whatever some guy (similar to the OP) with his official one size fits all ST jumpsuit with the matching glue on ear tips  is going to start pounding his keyboard until he trolls himself into warp speed.

Refugee from UO,EQ,AC,AC2,AO,DAOC,L2,SB,HZ,CoH,PT,EQ2,WoW,VG,SWG,EVE,WAR,DF,MO,AI,GA,LOTRO, SWTOR... Gw2 on Deck

Originally posted by Prankster

Seriously only the super nerds give a shit how the Romulans look. It's the only drwaback i can see to making a startrek game is that if say theres one extra window on the s-class whatever some guy (similar to the OP) with his official one size fits all ST jumpsuit with the matching glue on ear tips  is going to start pounding his keyboard until he trolls himself into warp speed.

Trekkies do carry the biggest nitpicks. I've never seen a cult of fans quite like them. They've been griping about every series or movie for as long as I can remember.YOu can never please them so it's pointless even trying.

there are lots of us trek fans (not trekkies mind you we just like the show because it was good) who are actually pleasable,  good solid game play that looks familiar to the series like ds9/next generation/voyager will definitly win at least an eve sized fan base.  ive been waiting for a fun space mmo ever since i tried eve and was bored to death years ago.

• Kvasir_029Kvasir_029 Member Posts: 46
    Originally posted by ktanner3

Originally posted by Prankster

Trekkies do carry the biggest nitpicks. I've never seen a cult of fans quite like them. They've been griping about every series or movie for as long as I can remember.YOu can never please them so it's pointless even trying.

I've never understood all the nitpicks. I've been a Trek fan for as long as I can remember and I've always just enjoyed the series for what they are, entertainment. All the people that sit around trying to find the one wrong thing with e certain episode just ruin the whole experience of Star Trek for themselves and sometimes others. I love Trek, but I don't think I 've ever been that extreme that I'm debating how many windows are supposed to be on a certain class of vessel or the exact warp speed of a certain type of engine.

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762

As a hard-core Trek fan and someone who saw the latest movie, I have one thing to say to my fellow Trekkers - Get a f*#king life! Seriously! The movie was a fantastic reboot of the ST franchise which, in my opinion, was getting staler than nutbread in a senior citizens' home. Not going to see the movie because of such lore nonsense such as "they were building their ship on the ground, all the good ships in trek are built in orbitdal docks?" Seriously? Who gives a poo-flinging monkey's butt? I'm with ricefarmer, here. I guess maybe I'm not a hardcore Trekker since I'm not belly-aching about how disgruntled I am about how the new Trek phasers not being steady beams of energy, or that Spock actually shows more human emotion and vulnerability than in TOS, or that the Enterprise NCC-1701 was built on a ground based shipyard instead of in Earth's orbit. If not getting my panties in a twist because of these things in the new Trek movie makes me less of a hardcore Trekker, then so be it. I'm okay with that.

Oh, and who cares if the online game follows or doesn't follow the new timeline? As long as the game is fun, that's all I care about. We'll see.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

Interesting but usually I find that the looser the adaptation, the happier I am :) Must be because freedom in implementation can always lead to interesting new stuff whereas sticking too close to the source may lead to predictable, hence underwhleming results.

Honestly, I'd actually prefer them taking some risks and failing then taking none.  

Come to think of it, that's why I did not like the new movie much. Too many useless send-ups and tips of the hat and not many genuinely original ideas.

• mokoleusmokoleus Member Posts: 142

Nero wasn't in the romluan star empire, and as such, it's perfectly fine for him to look like that. it's not like they "changed" the romulans in anyway. throughout most of trek, you rarely see any romulans that are just normal civilians. i personally hope they ignore the new movie as much as possible, it was nothing more then an action movie, fine for star wars, just not actual star trek.