Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is why development studios should not be involved in polls.

GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

So recently  Cnet held a poll of the two biggest and most anticipated racing games of this generation:

Polyphony Digital's Gran Turismo 5 for the Playstation 3, and Turn 10's Forza Motorsport 3 for the Xbox 360.

Considering that Forza Motorsport never reached the popularity of the Gran Turismo series, Turn 10 decided to "help" its  game a bit by doing what any decent video game developer does: Giving away free cars to people who vote for their game in the poll.

Unfortunately for Turn 10, the plan backfired and Cnet was not amused. They closed down the poll, and the results are pretty funny:

Gran Turismo 5: 52% (15731 votes

Forza Motorsport 3: 48% (14530 votes)

a note from, Cnet:

"Editor's note: After numerous complaints of cheating and in-game content being offered as payment for votes, I've decided to close the poll. Way to ruin the fun for the rest of us, guys"

Comments

• sephersepher Member Posts: 3,561

Disappointing community management for the studio I actually like the community of the most.

I'm not even offended about cheating at a poll, but I had no idea moderators had the authority to wantonly give out crap at their discretion.

Hopefully there's more to that story.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by sepher

Disappointing community management for the studio I actually like the community of the most.
    I'm not even offended about cheating at a poll, but I had no idea moderators had the authority to wantonly give out crap at their discretion.
    Hopefully there's more to that story.

There isn't actually. One of the staff members of Turn 10 made a topic on the message boards and promised to give out ingame cars if people voted for it.

http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/thread/2631203.aspx

From what I understand, Unicorn = ingame car

• BaronJuJuBaronJuJu Member UncommonPosts: 1,832

I wonder if the 14, 530 voters are going to get their free in-game cars as promised even after they shut the poll down. I have to agree with C-Net though, way to ruin some fun Turn 10.

"If we don't attack them, they will attack us first. So we'd better retaliate before they have a chance to strike"

• MunkiMunki Member CommonPosts: 2,128

what a stupid reaction from CNET.

Its one bloody internet poll, and CNET got fed tons of traffic.

They could have done something hillarious; something clever; something interesting with that situation, and instead they pull passive agressive douchebag.

What a fail on their part.

after 6 or so years, I had to change it a little...