Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

State of the Game. 6/5/09

2»

Comments

• joshejoshe Member Posts: 379

Originally posted by narakuu

by D3 you dont mean diablo 3 right? just for a second assuming thats what you meant, since when is diablo 3 an mmorpg?
    What is the difference between developing a single (+multi) player game and a mmorpg from development point of view ?

Both seems vapour, in the way you described.

--
    /thread

Remember, your advantage lies in your opponent's weakness (J)

• SabradinSabradin Member Posts: 772

it won't matter we'll soon see some beta footage reviews and we'll know

Just when you think you have all the answers, I change the questions.

• Balkin31Balkin31 Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Originally posted by altairzq

See Tasos? this is how things are done.

If Darkfall had done this the players that pre-ordered and beta tested could maybe have had the game ready for a real release!

• IzureIzure Member Posts: 518

Bravo SV you won in which the AV devs have lost.

Honesty goes a long ways, some consider this a paid beta, some consider it a pre order, IMO we will not know til they tell us if they are going to do a wipe or not. 

• DiekfooDiekfoo Member Posts: 583

I will definitely preorder to get into the beta! :) 

• ZzuluZzulu Member Posts: 452
    Originally posted by Izure

Honesty goes a long ways, some consider this a paid beta, some consider it a pre order, IMO we will not know til they tell us if they are going to do a wipe or not. 

Of course there will be a wipe.

Why wouldn't there?

• DiekfooDiekfoo Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by Izure

Off course they wipe. Othervise it would be totally unfair against those not in the beta. 

But we who preorder and get into the beta will get an upper hand, practicing melee, knowing where to find good loot for crafting etc ... learn to find in the world.

But I am afraid the keys will be sold out soo fast I cant get one.

• ReinRein Member UncommonPosts: 45

I will definetly preorder(as in pay full price of the game) just to play beta. Anyone who doesn't want to do that - please don't refresh the shop website when it comes online on 29th, so those of us who are sure about the game can actually buy it. thank you

• hail2dathiefhail2dathief Member UncommonPosts: 232

I don't see why people freak out about the fact that if you pre-order you get a perk of joining beta earlier than you might have in the frist place.  I am sure there will be other perks other than just beta.  Besides, almost every single MMO i have ever played at release is nothing more than a paid beta for the first several months. 

I am def. going to pre-order myself especially since i was going to buy the damn game in the first place.  Now i get to go into beta early even though i was going to buy the game in the first place.  I'm not dumb, this game prolly won't be at it's full potential until about 1 yr or 2 from now but comparing it to DF is just not fair to SV.  First, they have got this game into beta already and are going to release in Q4 of this yr.  It took DF 10 yrs. from start to finish and i believe SV will be done in 4yrs.  Anyways, really don't want to get into this argument but you can't compare it to DF unless it's 5 or 6 yrs. from now before they release the game and it's at the same state that it is now.  DF took 10yrs. to release an Alpha phase game so even if SV releases MO 5yrs. from now in a beta phase, it will be better than what AV did with DF. 

/rant off

Either way, pre-order or don't, but if you were planning on buying the game in the first place then it's not skin off your back.  I just hope it pans out, i guess i'll find out what i need to know when i'm in beta at the end of the month.

• VarshevaVarsheva Member UncommonPosts: 30

Note: Their definition of pre-order means buying the game at FULL PRICE with no refunds. At least according to their forum posts.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by Varsheva

Note: Their definition of pre-order means buying the game at FULL PRICE with no refunds. At least according to their forum posts.

This is true, and is certainly not the norm for an MMO pre-order deal.

There is definitely some cause for concern on how SV will test and launch this game.  Will it be a DF2?  I guess we'll see, but initial signs like this aren't exactly good.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• fldashfldash Member UncommonPosts: 227

Originally posted by Rohn
    Originally posted by Varsheva Note: Their definition of pre-order means buying the game at FULL PRICE with no refunds. At least according to their forum posts.

This is true, and is certainly not the norm for an MMO pre-order deal.
    There is definitely some cause for concern on how SV will test and launch this game.  Will it be a DF2?  I guess we'll see, but initial signs like this aren't exactly good.

It will without a doubt be a DF2... The only difference being that they are admitting labelling it as a 'beta' and charging you full price. DF labelled theirs a release and charged you full price. I'm staying away, sadly, because DF had so much going for it and was ruined, and this will be the next to suffer the same fate...

Former xFire user... I only wanted a game tracker and messenger, not a screenshot taker, video recording, broadcasting piece of bloatware.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

I think people misunderstand what is going on, you are not paying for the beta, you are paying for the pre-order but rather than charging you only at release they will charge you now with the added bonus that you get access to the betas until release, while yeah in theory you will be paying before release if you wanted to play at released you would pay the exact same amount there is no extra charge for beta.

• fldashfldash Member UncommonPosts: 227

Originally posted by rav3n2
    I think people misunderstand what is going on, you are not paying for the beta, you are paying for the pre-order but rather than charging you only at release they will charge you now with the added bonus that you get access to the betas until release, while yeah in theory you will be paying before release if you wanted to play at released you would pay the exact same amount there is no extra charge for beta.

Except I've done this exact same thing before with another game, and the game was practically unplayable, and never released... and I never got a refund.

Former xFire user... I only wanted a game tracker and messenger, not a screenshot taker, video recording, broadcasting piece of bloatware.

• CoffeeGruntCoffeeGrunt Member Posts: 192

Has failure written all over it ...why ... same bull pvp mechanics as in DFO

Full loot PVP wont work out this way ....itsa Cinderella dream. Box thinking

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005
    Originally posted by fldash

Originally posted by rav3n2

Except I've done this exact same thing before with another game, and the game was practically unplayable, and never released... and I never got a refund.

If you do pre-order you are taking that risk, but you know the risk upfront you know they are having financial problems and that they will release only some features, so there is a chance if might even not see the light of day (release) you as a potential customer can make that educated decision tho. If that does indeed happen I wont feel scammed like it happened before with over hyped failures.

• lethyslethys Member UncommonPosts: 585
    Originally posted by Hammertime1

Paid beta? No thanks, my interest in the game just flat lined.

It's not paid beta, it's that if you preorder the game you get the option of playing over the people who do not preorder...then the game is released and you get your game and install it but you already paid for the game so you aren't paying anything except sub fees.

• lethyslethys Member UncommonPosts: 585
    Originally posted by CoffeeGrunt

Has failure written all over it ...why ... same bull pvp mechanics as in DFO
    Full loot PVP wont work out this way ....itsa Cinderella dream. Box thinking

I disagree highly.  It does not have the same "bull pvp mechanics" in any stretch, save it being in FPV.  This game is more interested in actually maintaining some sort of civilized behaviors by frowning on certain behaviors, as well as not allowing new players to be attacked for first some-odd hours.

I am very excited for it, the graphics are incredible and everything seems to work.

• markyturnipmarkyturnip Member UncommonPosts: 837
    Originally posted by Hammertime1

Paid beta? No thanks, my interest in the game just flat lined.

it's a pretty universal model these days. Warhammer, Aoc... MMOs are often paid betas for a year or so after their release, it seems.

Be great if it wasn't so, but they seem to be such a tough nut to crack, that most studios etc run out of money before being able to release a 'finished' product.

• markyturnipmarkyturnip Member UncommonPosts: 837
    Originally posted by Drughi

warhammer did something similar, the early access was pretty much the same, its cool for me if is not full price

warhammer is still in paid beta

• BrifBrif Member UncommonPosts: 529
    Originally posted by markyturnip

Originally posted by Drughi

warhammer did something similar, the early access was pretty much the same, its cool for me if is not full price

warhammer is still in paid beta

DAoC is still in paid beta

In fact,

I don't think any of Mythic Entertainment's games have left paid beta yet.