Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do we play mmo's?

cataphrachtcataphracht Member Posts: 50

I found after getting to the max level in a few mmo's.... it's a complete waste of time/life and that is the most precious thing in one's life.

Sure depending on the mmo it's always fun the first 20 levels but it always gets boring/ repetetive + long for example when your level 80 in EQ2 there is guilds that want you to do raids which take 4 hours, and they do the same thing over and over for months, if not years.

When your simply bored/ fed up quitting the game you can never get your time back, if you want money you could maybe get a 20th of your time back in your char that you sell, yet we still play them! 

When people generally ask these kind of questions the answers confuse me - some say that it's because they have a lot of friends on that game which confuses me how does one become someone's friend on the net, months, years of adventuring together makes you their friend?

In Eq2, WoW there's still people playing from 4 years+ back completed all content in all expansions but still there ready for more.... what keeps us/them there playing the same thing over + over doesn't it get boring/ tiresome? Do you guys log in for your friends/ is it drilled into you that you logged all them months so you must carry on logging on. Ofcourse there's always loot/gear/items to get! but at the end of the day its all pixels that is  definately not worth wasting all that time to get since no one in their right mind will view you as a  " god " or worship you cos you have uber items in your inventory :P

I know they carry on making content for all games, but the added content is so similar to the game itself you will only notice a difference every 2 years.

I know 1 good answer would be what else would you do with your time, but I'm sure there's many things out there for us to do  that's better than playing these games and I know that's totally subjective to what the person likes doing theirselves but I believe that everyone can find something more enjoyable then mmorpg's!

Add your thoughts please... it would be interesting to view the answers, I'm not attacking any person just curious what gives the motivation of these massive timesinks! I would totally understand if there  was a mmorpg that was perfected - a game that was fun all the time you play it, then that's different your not wasting time if your always having fun but these current games on the market get boring at sometime

Comments

• maxtorinxmaxtorinx Member Posts: 1

uhm i play mmo bcoz for me when i have nothing to do i dont get bored i also gain new friends and invite my friends to play mmo!! who invented this he/she is the best mor power to all the players out there always keep this in mind study hard play harder hehehe rock on guys XD

jerk

• filnepictifilnepicti Member Posts: 6

Well I think that most of us play MMO's to feed our hugner for fantasy. C'mon when you think about it, when do you happen to encounter a group of Orcs, then you take out your bow or sword and start killing them on your daily life. It is somehow our escape from reality where we can be whoever we want to be in the persona of our characters.

I do understand that it is time consuming and you can't recover the time lost. But the thing is, the time lost would only be a waste, if you think that it was a waste.

• Shiva_ShadowShiva_Shadow Member Posts: 216

I play games because I am bored, I quit them because I hate the grind, I find more games because I am bored, I quit them because they don't meet my expectations.

Why do we play mmo's?

Because we are bored, why do we stay?  Because they are better than others that are out there and because we put so much time into them, why do we get nothing out of them?  Because than the game companies would never make money if they paid for those to reach lvl cap, than why do we play mmo's?  Because we are bored, its' a viscious cycle, don't like it, go outside.

• lm8darklm8dark Member Posts: 281
    Originally posted by Shiva_Shadow

I play games because I am bored, I quit them because I hate the grind, I find more games because I am bored, I quit them because they don't meet my expectations.
    Why do we play mmo's?
    Because we are bored, why do we stay?  Because they are better than others that are out there and because we put so much time into them, why do we get nothing out of them?  Because than the game companies would never make money if they paid for those to reach lvl cap, than why do we play mmo's?  Because we are bored, its' a viscious cycle, don't like it, go outside.

Yup, I agree. if we find a game... we try it, but if we don't like it. We look for a new different game w/c may satisfy us for a while but we look for another game again. It's a very very vicious cycle.

• pongaxpongax Member Posts: 26

first and foremost, to relieve stress from work, 2nd to interact with people while enjoying the benefits of playing, if u get bored look for another game, basically almost all people will tell the same thing.

• utamaruutamaru Member Posts: 23

because it sort of separates you from the real world. It's like something to look forward to when you get home hehe :)