Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World War 2 facts

GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

A website I found, I think it's interesting enough to share:

http://www.world-war-2.info/facts/

Comments

• MachineowarMachineowar Member UncommonPosts: 63

Why doesn't it say anything about the Cobra Unit? That article disapoints me.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by Machineowar

Why doesn't it say anything about the Cobra Unit? That article disapoints me.

'Cause Sgt. Rock and Easy Company would eat them for breakfast.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

All I got was a Fullpage ad... No thanks.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

"When the US Army landed in North Africa, among the equipment brought ashore were 3 complete Coca Cola bottling plants."

I wonder if they are still there making money. It is the desert, after all. :)

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Dresden

The Bombing of Dresden by the British Royal Air Force(RAF) and United States Air Force (USAAF) between 13 February and 15 February 1945, twelve weeks before the surrender of the Armed Forces. Estimates of civilian casualties vary greatly, but recent publications place the figure between 24,000 and 40,000.

• EnkinduEnkindu Member Posts: 1,098
    Originally posted by Waterlily

The Bombing of Dresden by the British Royal Air Force(RAF) and United States Air Force (USAAF) between 13 February and 15 February 1945, twelve weeks before the surrender of the Armed Forces. Estimates of civilian casualties vary greatly, but recent publications place the figure between 24,000 and 40,000.

Dresden was a terrible loss. It was apparently one of the most beautiful cities in Europe.

Nightmares will ALWAYS ensue when leaders gain power by motivating people with hatred.

deviliscious: (PS. I have been told that when I use scientific language, it does not make me sound more intelligent, it only makes me sound like a jackass. It makes me appear that I am not knowledgable enough in the subject I am discussing to be able to translate it for people outside the field to understand. Some advice you might consider as well)

• //\//\oo//\//\oo Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,767

I'll meet your 40000 and raise you a few million...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocaust

The Holocaust (from the Greek ?λ?καυστον (holókauston): holos, "whole" and kaustos, "burnt"), also known as Shoah (Hebrew: ?????, Latinized ha'shoah; Yiddish: ?????, Latinized churben or hurban[1]) is the term generally used to describe the genocide of approximately six million European Jews during World War II, a program of systematic state-sponsored extermination by Nazi Germany, under Adolf Hitler, and its collaborators.

This is a sequence of characters intended to produce some profound mental effect, but it has failed.

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863
    Originally posted by //\//\oo

I'll meet your 40000 and raise you a few million...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocaust

The Holocaust (from the Greek ?λ?καυστον (holókauston): holos, "whole" and kaustos, "burnt"), also known as Shoah (Hebrew: ?????, Latinized ha'shoah; Yiddish: ?????, Latinized churben or hurban[1]) is the term generally used to describe the genocide of approximately six million European Jews during World War II, a program of systematic state-sponsored extermination by Nazi Germany, under Adolf Hitler, and its collaborators.

Is this supposed to justify the death of 24,000 - 40,000 civilians or something? Like guilt by association. I wonder what your point is?

O_o o_O

• eight675309eight675309 Member Posts: 246

I've always found the British-zionist-jew triangle of revisionism hilariously funny.

When history isn't on your side: make it up and then demogague the people you are making it up about so no one will dare defend them.

Look at the Holomodor for instance. Why isn't that required learning material in USA schools? Especially since we were still largely the enemy of Soviet Russia for the last several decades. Wrong victims?

White christians = not victims

Jews = always victims

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457
    Originally posted by Enkindu

Dresden was a terrible loss. It was apparently one of the most beautiful cities in Europe.

Nightmares will ALWAYS ensue when leaders gain power by motivating people with hatred.

Terrible loss my arse.

What goes around comes around. They have been thinking twice ever since.

Anyone else who bombs our cities is going to get the same.

It is a mistake for you to think that our leaders led us anywhere we didn't want to go. That war was personal for eveybody in the country. They were all targeted. "Our leaders" had it easy. It wasn't their homes that got destroyed, them or theirs that died.

Originally posted by baff

Terrible loss my arse.

What goes around comes around.

I hope you're still a child because that's the most ignorant post I have seen on any forum ever.

You are too young to understand.

In WW1 Germany got away without invasion and absolute defeat.

The regime knew it was defeated, but the people didn't work it out.

In WW2, they came back to redress matters under a new regime.

We weren't at war with the Nazi's we were at war with the Germans. What we did to them at Dresden they had been attempting to do to us here. I guess you don't know anyone who the Germans tried to kill. Perhaps you have no family members who they succeeded with. Perhaps when you sit around at dinnertime, your loved ones don't tell you about the bombs that dropped on their homes or the fighting they saw.

As I said, you are too young.

We did it to them before they did it to us. They deserved it and if anyone else trys it, we'll do it again only far worse next time.

Sorry, but kindergarten is out. When you try and exterminate us, we will exterminate you first. Learn it. Remember it.

You are too young to understand.

In WW1 Germany got away without invasion and absolute defeat.
    The regime knew it was defeated, but the people didn't work it out.

In WW2, they came back to redress matters under a new regime.
    We weren't at war with the Nazi's we were at war with the Germans. What we did to them at Dresden they had been attempting to do to us here. I guess you don't know anyone who the Germans tried to kill. Perhaps you have no family members who they succeeded with. Perhaps when you sit around at dinnertime, your loved ones don't tell you about the bombs that dropped on their homes or the fighting they saw.
    As I said, you are too young.

We did it to them before they did it to us. They deserved it and if anyone else trys it, we'll do it again only far worse next time.

Sorry, but kindergarten is out. When you try and exterminate us, we will exterminate you first. Learn it. Remember it.

(Mod Edit)

They're civilians..40k civilians who had nothing to do with the war..did you actually read what you quoted?

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by eight675309

I've always found the British-zionist-jew triangle of revisionism hilariously funny.
    When history isn't on your side: make it up and then demogague the people you are making it up about so no one will dare defend them.
    Look at the Holomodor for instance. Why isn't that required learning material in USA schools? Especially since we were still largely the enemy of Soviet Russia for the last several decades. Wrong victims?
    White christians = not victims
    Jews = always victims

Oy vey.

They're civilians..40k civilians who had nothing to do with the war..did you actually read what you quoted or are you mentally challenged?

WW2 wasn't a war that differentiated between civilians and military.

It was nation against nation, not army against army. People vs people. They put our civilians on the front line. Targeted them and bombed them. Tried to kill as many as they could.

We did the same in return. They won't be in such a rush to do that again.

Their aim, to conquer and kill or enslave and deport every male member of our country to gulags. They got what they deserved. No one here was crying for 40,000 German civilians in WW2. No one.

Those civilians had nothing to do with the war? My arse. They voted for it, they supported it, they paid for it, they built weapons for it and they all cheered when they heard that the bombs they built were raining down on our cities. So our civilians sent them back a little present. And we all cheered at the thought of them dieing.

Sorry if you thought war was a nice little game of My Little Pony. Sorry if you thought the German people were all innocent. They weren't. Neither are mine.

• //\//\oo//\//\oo Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,767
    Originally posted by Bigdavo

Is this supposed to justify the death of 24,000 - 40,000 civilians or something? Like guilt by association. I wonder what your point is?

The point is that that was war and for a country that slaughtered millions like cattle, a loss of merely 24000-40000 is hardly worth mentioning.

Many more Germans died on the front lines due to the actions of an insane dictator who most of the German people supported, so before younger Germans cry for some kind of restitution in World War 2 let them remember the atrocities of their progenitors.

As for the American reputation, Americans have killed far more people than that during war: Nuclear weapons had killed hundreds of thousands of people when the target country had already been on the verge of surrender. Of course the atrocities committed by the Japanese against the Chinese are also grave if one were to be so vindictive..

Nobody is spotless in war. Ever.

This is a sequence of characters intended to produce some profound mental effect, but it has failed.

WW2 wasn't a war that differentiated between civilians and military.
    It was nation against nation, not army against army. People vs people. They put our civilians on the front line. Targeted them and bombed them. Tried to kill as many as they could.
    We did the same in return. They won't be in such a rush to do that again.

Their aim, to conquer kill or enslave and deport every male member of our country. They got what they deserved. No one here was crying for 40,000 German civilians in WW2. No one.

Ok, I'l just reply once more but for the last time though, because I don't think we'll find common ground here.

The bombing of dresden were bombings meant for a military factory. It happened at night.

Because the war was almost over and a victory was really close for the allies, there were discussions leading up to the bombing if this was needed.

The bombings got a go and they wanted to bomb the military factories....but there was no clear sight to bomb during the night so they said they couldn't bomb with precision........commanders said "BOMB ANYWAY".....a terrible tradgedy because instead of bombing the factories, they missed. They bombed the city center and 40.000 civilians died invane a few weeks before the war ended.

How you can just come in here and say "what goes around comes around" is disgusting. I hope you understand this, if you do that's fine if you don't I would rethink some of your views on life.

The war wasn't over, they were bombing our cities right up until the last day.

The war was over when it was over, not weeks before. Not days before and not hours before. They fought till it ended and no one was safe from them. They had cruise missiles and Ballistic missiles raining down on our cities trying to kill as many thousands of our civilians as they could. 

No one knew when the war was going to end until it was over. Time machines were not available. The history books you learnt this from had not been written at that time.

It's easy for you to come out with this kind of crap with hindsight but at the time, it was war.

Not some flowery version of history written in peacetime.

You will find no common ground with me at all.

I will not be rethinking my views on life, I hope you continue to live such a sheltered life that you never need to rethink yours.

• EnkinduEnkindu Member Posts: 1,098

Waterlily, I agree that the loss of Dresden and the human tragedy there was terrible...

but Germany did start a war of aggression and showed a willingness to commit massive atrocities against civilians to achieve their goals.

One could argue that ANY actions taken to speed a decisive end to the fighting were necessary.  This same argument can be made about the bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

War is horrible.. it is a pathetic last resort after EVERY other option has been exhausted.  If you engage in war willfully or aggressively, history teaches that generally you pay a terrible price.

Edit- and before you accuse me of nationalism, I am American but all of my father's family is German.  Two of my best friends IN THE WORLD live in Aachen and Julich.  I spent at least a year in Germany when I was in school aber Ich habe alles deutsch forgessen.

deviliscious: (PS. I have been told that when I use scientific language, it does not make me sound more intelligent, it only makes me sound like a jackass. It makes me appear that I am not knowledgable enough in the subject I am discussing to be able to translate it for people outside the field to understand. Some advice you might consider as well)

Waterlily, I agree that the loss of Dresden and the human tragedy there was terrible...
    but Germany did start a war of aggression and showed a willingness to commit massive atrocities against civilians to achieve their goals.
    One could argue that ANY actions taken to speed a decisive end to the fighting were necessary.  This same argument can be made about the bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
    War is horrible.. it is a pathetic last resort after EVERY other option has been exhausted.  If you engage in war willfully or aggressively, history teaches that generally you pay a terrible price.

Agree, but not about Hiroshima and Nagasaki, I think that was over the top just like the mistakes in Dresden. Anyway, I need to go. 

<3 all, even baff )

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Agree, but not about Hiroshima and Nagasaki, I think that was over the top just like the mistakes in Dresden. Anyway, I need to go. 

<3 all, even baff )

If Hiroshima and Nagasaki were not bombed, there would have been a lot more casualties on both the japanese and the allied side. This way, only the japanese suffered losses.

Dresden was an enemy city, simple as that. Better to destroy 20 german cities then 1 allied city.

Had that war been won wihout any massive German civilians casualities, as WW1 had been.

That wouldn't have been the end of it.

What goes around comes around. It was a lesson the German people needed to learn. What it feels like to be on the receiving end.

• gsp_rushgsp_rush Member Posts: 113

I didn't see Major Winters included in the site..is he there?or I just missed his name?

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

40,000 was a pretty small number for that war.  Just the battle of Stalingrad had nearly 2 million soldiers and civilians killed.  The magnitude of death in WWII I would say is incomprehensible by most of us born after about 1935 or so...  except those who have lived exclusively in war torn nations all our lives.

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

Had that war been won wihout any massive German civilians casualities, as WW1 had been.
    That wouldn't have been the end of it.

What goes around comes around. It was a lesson the German people needed to learn. What it feels like to be on the receiving end.

Yes but Dresden is still a 'terrible loss' no matter which way you look at it. Whether it was necessary or not is an entirely different argument.

O_o o_O