Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

• LedZep89LedZep89 Member Posts: 30

Ok, thanks for the help.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

microcenter seems a bit expensive

• LedZep89LedZep89 Member Posts: 30

yeah it varied, some stuff was more expensive at microcenter, but other stuff was more expensive at newegg.

• njacksondnjacksond Member Posts: 29

Jallen02,

Comment on the OS. If you haven't been following Windows 7 recently you may just want to scrap the idea of the Vista OS at the moment and just beta test the Win 7 OS.

Even with Beta Win7 you'll find it is much more stable then the Vista OS. That and you can beta test RC1 which is compatible with just about anything out there to date til July 2010. If it turns out you don't like it then you can always roll back to getting that Vista OS.

www.microsoft.com/Windows/windows-7/download.aspx

Check it out. You'll be happy you did.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053
    Originally posted by njacksond

Jallen02,

Comment on the OS. If you haven't been following Windows 7 recently you may just want to scrap the idea of the Vista OS at the moment and just beta test the Win 7 OS.

Even with Beta Win7 you'll find it is much more stable then the Vista OS. That and you can beta test RC1 which is compatible with just about anything out there to date til July 2010. If it turns out you don't like it then you can always roll back to getting that Vista OS.

www.microsoft.com/Windows/windows-7/download.aspx

Check it out. You'll be happy you did.

This^^ was going to be my suggestion. download Win7 for free and use it for a whole year, before having to pay for it.

Secondly, with a Core i7 system, (since you seem to have the extra cash) you'd be better to upgrade to a Radeon HD4850 for a few more bucks...  then next spring drop $200 on a new DirectX 11.0 card and you'll be soo happy...!

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

That case offers no cooling.... just something you should keep in mind.

You also should look into buying a 4870 or a gtx260 core 216, no point in buying a card you will have to replace again soon.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• GreeveGreeve Member Posts: 2

Id also suggest changing to a phenom 2 as there alot cheaper and you pc will be bottled necked by everything but the i7 . you could also put the money you saved by buying the Phenom 2 into a better case try looking at the coolermaster HAF

• PeterPorkerPeterPorker Member Posts: 74

Several Mistakes, For motherboard go Asus, trust me on this..I have had 3 x52 mobos already, and ended up getting the expensive Asus one and am so mad I didnt make this choice first..Tthe others I have all had problems with including the expensive eVGA board.. Which was a piece of junk and quality in comparison to the Asus doesnt even come close.

ATI video card? Remember you are a PC gamer. also your board is SLI, SLI is Nvidia based... No point spending money on a SLI board, if you are putting ATI in it.. It's a waste of money and I reckon the chipsets are going to cause performance issues.

Again rethink your mobo purchase, do not buy based on low $ to support the i7's your better off with a q6660 or so

The q6600 might be just a tad slower, but the savings you'll make on mobo/and other parts make up for it

The case is obviously cheap,actually its not really cheap, its cheaply made  but its expensive if you catch my drift as it has NO POWER supply.. what are you getting for power? Get a Antec 550 at least which is gonna be an additional $100 or so

Good Luck

All kidding aside,
    Peter Porker

• PeterPorkerPeterPorker Member Posts: 74

Also, dump Vista 64 and wait for Windows 7, get a hard drive and partition it with leftover space after installing XP knowing you can dual boot to Windows 7 in the future on a seperate partition, or get a beta key and do it now..

All kidding aside,
    Peter Porker

The mobo supports both SLI and CF.

• rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Check out the Ars Technica April Systems Guide - it has guides for bulding quality Budget, Hot Rod and Ultimate boxes:

Linky...

~Ripper

Originally posted by rhinok
    Check out the Ars Technica April Systems Guide - it has guides for bulding quality Budget, Hot Rod and Ultimate boxes:
    Linky...
    ~Ripper

Nice those are some good builds.

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

Hes not using crossfire or sli, so it really doesnt matter. I have an asus p5b deluxe with a gtx275, cf board with nvidia card, ive got no conflicts.

As for the cpu, the q600 overclocks to 3ghz with ddr667 ram, 3.6ghz with ddr800 without breaking a sweat, its a hell of a lot cheaper then the 3ghz cpus, keep that in mind. I have mine oc to 3ghz right now, and it runs 24c idle 37deg load with a vendetta 2 cooler.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson