Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a new MMO wondering if this is the one.

kookajamokookajamo Member Posts: 5

I just quit wow a couple of weeks ago. Im looking for a new game. I heard EQ2 was good so i hopped over here. Is this game Good PvE/PvP and does it have good lvling or a constant grind? Would it be good comming from WoW or could any one recomend a better game?

Comments

• Sh1ntuSh1ntu Member UncommonPosts: 17

Seems fun. Been playing the Trial for 2 days now, really enjoying it (Yay for free rewards! +25% run speed cloak is awesomeness). But yeah, 24 classes, like..over 10 races (can't remember exactly) and 5 (?) expacs, there's tons of content (PvE wise) - Don't know about PvP, haven't heard much. 

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888
    Originally posted by kookajamo

I just quit wow a couple of weeks ago. Im looking for a new game. I heard EQ2 was good so i hopped over here. Is this game Good PvE/PvP and does it have good lvling or a constant grind? Would it be good comming from WoW or could any one recomend a better game?

I think that eq2 is a very good game.  I think it is very comparable to Wow in many ways.  It isn't like wow so you will find a new experience and it has some really fun things that wow is completely lacking.  Housing is a blast and one thing you should do when you play is visit peoples houses to see what they have done.  Also joining a guild with a nice guild house is a MUST.  Guild houses can have vendors, crafting stations, resource boxes, guild banks, various teleports, a guild flag that lets someone plant a flag in the world that anyone cen teleport to.  Great for raids or guild events when you want everyone somewhere quick.

What you won't find in eq2 that you will find in wow is pvp.  There is a PvP server but if you really are after PvP eq2 is probably not the best choice.  I'd look at warhammer as an alternative.   Warhammer is mostly about PvP and actually pretty wow like.  It is young and still has some maturing to do but mythics is a good company that is dedicated to making the game the best it can be.

Other games to consider

Lord of the rings - this game is graphically close to wow although it does have its unique style.  The game is rich in lore and has is overally a well built game.  The only negatives is the main story line quest is group oriented and at lower levels now days it is hard to get groups to do them and it can be frustrating because they are good.  That and there is a lot of grinding killing mobs for titles and to get special abilities.  Stuff like you gotta kill 1000 wolves and you get a titles and some abilities at a couple points.  You don't have to do this but you will want to.  LoTR does have housing although I've never played with it.  It also has a unique PvP game play in a specail zone where players can be monsters or there normal characters.  So it is like a fun side game.

Vanguard - This game had a bad launch and for the first year had many issues.  Today most of the issues are gone and the game is actually very good.  It has the broadest game experience with a huge seamless world where there are no abitrary constrants creating zoned play areas like most games have.  In VG anything you see you can go to.  You can grab a flying mount and fly in a straight line to the edge of the world although it would take a long time.  The games best feature imo is the combat system.  It is one of the best out there.  The crafting and diplomacy games are also unique and much more complete then other games.

Age of Conan - This game is probably at some level closest to wow in terms of combining pvp and pve experiences.  The graphics are great.  It is heavily zoned however.  The combat system is different and works based on combos and AE attacks and doesn't do autoattack and mob targeting.  Personally I didn't like the long combos at high levels but they have changed that some and it might be better now.  The game had a lot of bugs and issues at release but from what I've read is better now.  It has guild fortresses that guilds can create and allows guilds to attack eachothers fortresses.  This could be fun although when I played it was pretty buggy and the lag made it had to play.

---
    Ethion

• creioncreion Member Posts: 78

This is one of the few games that actually has a replayabilty value rather than i just want another 80 class, you can play 20 diff chars and take a different path and almost never play the same quest unless you go to the same area.

Try out a trial if its not for you their are others out there

• TheFranchiseTheFranchise Member Posts: 241

Really depends what you're looking for in a game.  To me, EQ2 is sort of like a more serious/realistic WoW.  The controls and combat is similar.  

Lord of the Rings is like a better-looking WoW in Middle-Earth.  If you like Lord of the Rings, you'll probably like LOTRO.  The gameplay will be very similar to WoW, though, which can be both a good and bad thing.

City of Heroes is somewhat-mindless fun.  It seems a bit bland, but then you start flinging powers around, and the game completely changes.  I would have played the game for two weeks just to run around using the Travel Powers (superspeed, superjumping, flying, teleporting).  If you ever wondered what it's like to fly, CoH might be the game.  Quests are suspect since the quests are alike and basically go in there and kill everything, but it sure is fun to go in there with a group of people, powers flying all over the place, and kill everything.

And while CoH rewards you with new powers every other level or so and is a main reason to advance, Dungeons and Dragons Online has the best quests in the business.  (I guess I'll add "imo" there before anyone says something.)  Sure, you get more toys and powers (feats and skills) the higher you level, but the quests "feel" like real quests, not the typical "go kill 10 wolves and then come back so you can go do it again" stuff.  It has twitch combat and can sort of feel like a third-person shooter.  

Great combat, great quests, and the most customizable characters in probably any MMO.  Want a fighter that can use wands?  Ok.  Want a barbarian that can pick locks and find traps?  Sure.  Want a wizard that swings a two-handed axe (and is good at it)?  No problem.  There's a free trial.  Give 'er a shot.  PVP is only in certain areas, though.  It's a PVE game.  But I'd wager it's one of the most non-grindy PVE games you'll play.  

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I play it. It is rather good but differs a bit from Wow.

+

A lot of classes, races, dungeons and content.

The graphics is generally rather good.

It is harder than Wow, particulary the RAIDs. Youll need to use your brain.

Many small things make the game fun, like housing, fashion slots, huge guildhouses and a lot more stuff. My character owns a big store that sells loads of stuff.

Best community in any MMO I played at least.

-

PvP isn't that good. All the classes make the game unbalanced and the game have many spots where griefers camp for many hours.

Soloing is one of the games weakest points. Group playing is a lot better.

There are some performance issues, particulary in Neriak. The EU servers sucks also, I live in Sweden but still gets a lot of better performance from the Us servers. Lucan Dlere rocks.

• BareandyouBareandyou Member Posts: 4

This is how I see it.

EQ2 is good for a few reasons. One, it's harder than a lot of MMO's out there...unless you know what you are doing. If you just go place to place, zone to zone, instance to instance it's not hard at all to get to level 80 (the projection is soon to be 90). There is a lot of content.

The problem I find is that it's hard to find groups. On Antonia Bayle, the RP server/probably the most populated server, people tend to dislike grouping with non-guild members. Pickup groups are difficult to get (for me at least, maybe cause I play so many non-important classes) and at times frustrating. Soloing is almost always an option. (Especially as a Necromancer).

The EQ2 community is rather mature (on average) and people can't stand drama. If you can find your own little niche, all the power to you. You just can't act like a total idiot and expect to be welcomed with open arms (unless you roleplay).

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888
    Originally posted by Loke666

I play it. It is rather good but differs a bit from Wow.
    +
    A lot of classes, races, dungeons and content.
    The graphics is generally rather good.
    It is harder than Wow, particulary the RAIDs. Youll need to use your brain.
    Many small things make the game fun, like housing, fashion slots, huge guildhouses and a lot more stuff. My character owns a big store that sells loads of stuff.
    Best community in any MMO I played at least.
    -
    PvP isn't that good. All the classes make the game unbalanced and the game have many spots where griefers camp for many hours.
    Soloing is one of the games weakest points. Group playing is a lot better.
    There are some performance issues, particulary in Neriak. The EU servers sucks also, I live in Sweden but still gets a lot of better performance from the Us servers. Lucan Dlere rocks.

I don't consider the raids in eq2 any harder then the raids in wow unless things have changed dramtically in the last expansion...

---
    Ethion

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

I'm not playing EQ2 anymore but I will say it has just an enormous amount of content.  There are TONS of quests and quite a variety of quests too, such as signature and heritage quests, language quests, etc.  Definitely an absolute ton of stuff to do, and never will you need to grind mobs for leveling.

• Everquest is and shall always be THE mmo. It started 3-d mmorpgs and it will outlast all the rest.

But seriously, there is no game more fun than EQ2

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by ethion

I don't consider the raids in eq2 any harder then the raids in wow unless things have changed dramtically in the last expansion...

Oh, but it have. Not so much in the last EQ2 expansion as in the last Wow expansion.

Vanilla Wow and EQ2 used to have about the same difficulty, But EQ2 have got slightly harder while Wow have gone a lot easier.

Not that I am saying harder or easier is better, it all depends on the player.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

I just returned to EQ2. If you love to solo, then EQ2 is the game for you. If you think you will be able to enjoy any of the group content from 1-70, give it up. I'm on Lucan D'lere, a supposedly popular server, and I've been in maybe 3 groups. The solo part of the game is great, though. There are some superb storires. My favorite zones so far are Feerot, Everfrost, Butcherblock and Steamfont Mtns. My least favorite are Greater and Lesser Faydark, and Lavastorm.

I joined a guild, and most of them are already level 80, so that really sucks. There doesn't seem to be that many guilds recruiting. IMO, the game is very top heavy. In Everfrost, Sinking Sands, and Steamfont I rarely ever saw another person. Those are 3 of the most popular leveling grounds. This can't be a good sign.

My guild keeps telling me to get to lvl 75, and that's when the game picks up. How long will it take a new player to get from level 1 to 75? The new player misses 90% of the content in the game from 1-75. Its frustrating, because I bet most people will never do the heritage quest when they are useful, and never do most of the dungeons in the game until they are grayed out.

The game is great. Unfortunately, the game has a severe identity crisis. It has no clue that its a solo game until lvl 75, and of course that number will increase for every expansion. I'm sure the game is great at the top levels, unfortunately new and returning players have to start at lvl 1.

• Dionysus187Dionysus187 Member Posts: 302

While other aspects of it might be in question, EQ2 (along with EQ1 imo) is THE PvE experience. You will not find more abundance of PvE content in any other MMO. It does have a PvP Servers but their population is on decline and the system just isn't nearly as refined as any other high profile MMO with PvP.

It is pretty much a 'solo' game until you get to about 78+ but they least recognize this and speed up leveling every time the cap is moved up, and some times additionally after that. Recently they have been making 'hot zones' where experience gain is increased as well as weekends where experience gain is increased game wide.

Because of the high end raiding and grouping aspect, the range in difficulties vary wildly. Just because a group can clear one level 80 instance most certainly does not mean they can clear them all. The same with raids, they are even are accommodating smaller raids of just 12 people, 2 groups usually referred to as 'x2 raids' Meanwhile the hardest raid content is contested in open zones (not instanced) and require near complete domination of instanced raid content and 24 people. The contested raid boss's called avatars vary in difficulty as well but do to their contested nature only a few high end guilds on each server kill them. 1 or 2 raid bosses in two of the instances can compare to the hardest avatars though.

If you like grouping and raiding PvE A LOT at the level cap, EQ2 is for you.