Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New EvE Experiment. Project BeliEvE. Can a new player really compete?

13»

Comments

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by KTMPro
    Originally posted by Majinash
    Originally posted by KTMPro well. a person with anything less than a years worth of training would have no chance against me in 1v1.
    im a 7 year vet maxed combat skills. the notion a new player can compete is just a joke. only thing that is possible is a noob swarm as i call them, where 5+ new player MUST group up to surive"for a short time".
    if you plan to join eve now apply to goon swarm and get ready to be cannon fodder for the next 6-7 months.

so no matter what ship you are in, what fitting you have currently on that ship.  no 1 year noob could fight you?  doesn't sound like really understand how EVE works.

sure change the rules around m8. ship for ship a 1 year old is no match for a 7 year vet. get in your battlecruiser and i'll put 100mil isk  that i can out run you in a battleship.... one sided ya thats an understatement.

lol, crawl back to your troll hole, please...

• AtilliusAtillius Member Posts: 16

What they said.  

7 years of "full combat skills" is not 7 years of time invested in training those skill skills.  Gunnery 5 is Gunnery 5.......7 year guy or 60 day guy.   I can't remember many 1v1 fights in EVE either......usually either FW Blobs or Corp Blobs.  Maybe the occational can flipper in a belt...but I don't see many 7 year players doing that. 

I have (2) 1.5 year old accounts, and (1) 30 day old account.  I stuck with frigate to this day, 5 in Cal and MIm......All I do is tackle for my gang.  I have tackled all sizes of ships and  players will GOBS of time and have had no problem avoiding whatever they shoot at me...Drones...are sometimes a problem but easily handled by my rockets and my speed.  Sure I have popped at times,  but I have also been on km of high time players.  

Sure a 30 day Ibis pilot will not survive  tow to tow with a 7 year vet in a BB, Dread...etc 1v1.....BUT  I also don't see many Rookie ships fighting FW or any other Blob fights. 

I read some of these posts and just see chest beating......I bet a noob blob could humble some of these uber vets. 

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!
    Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945

Niz;

Training learning skills first will shorten your training time for ALL your skills.  Also figure out what skill line you want, look at the primary and secondary attributes then find the learning skills that give you attribute points in that att.  Then train them up to about 3 or 4 for now.  I know it sucks at first....but it pays off in the end.

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

I really don't feel this will prove anything more than the concept of a veteran player would be able to take the fastest road to a competitive new character given an expected outcome.

There is a reason new players don't compete in EVE.  They don't choose to learn the system to the degree that is required.  The ones that become quick studies, are willing to lose a few ships, and get out into pvp combat ASAP, they learn to compete very quickly.  Getting the avatar to have the skills to compete is quite simple after a newb does roughly 10 minutes of research or questioning on the forums.

• NizumzenNizumzen Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Originally posted by Atillius

Niz;
    Training learning skills first will shorten your training time for ALL your skills.  Also figure out what skill line you want, look at the primary and secondary attributes then find the learning skills that give you attribute points in that att.  Then train them up to about 3 or 4 for now.  I know it sucks at first....but it pays off in the end.

Ah, okay. Thanks for the tips. I'll certainly get them skilled up in that case.

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

been a slow couple of days mainly due to the new TF2 release and UFC fights on satuday taking my time up, but hopefully will get some more action this week.

There has been a lot of debate on the Eve-o forums, here, and in game over what is considered competing and if its fair that I have some experience with the game.

Well my experience does give me a leg up on a new player, that is for damn sure. But, info is freely available out there, and any one who is thinking about the game and has questions I am more than willing to answer them here, on my site, or even in game on Armon Deacon. EvE is simply about asking questions and looking for the info. There is so much information just sitting on the forums at eve-o its just sick.

As for competition... well Ill say what I said over at Eve-0 forums. Most MMO's are linear growth. You start at the bottom and work your way to the top in a pretty much straight line. Guys at the top are better than guys at the bottom, no question.

EvE isnt a linear growth system, its a small upward movement, followed by massive horizontal growth.

What do you mean?

Simple, Lets say you want to shoot guns. The worst you can do is guns 1 the best is guns 5. The difference between guns 4 and 5 is usually 5 or 10% not that big a deal, and guns 4 can be achieved very quickly. After that, its supporting skills. This is another little push to the ceiling. You have 4 or 5 skills that will make you shoot faster, hit harder, track better, etc. These also are fairly quick to get to 4 or 5, where the difference is much smaller say 2%. Finally you have your specializations for that weapon or ship type that give you an additional 5% or so that takes a while to train, but still 4 is easily obtainable. At this point you are badass with guns. From here on you are moving laterally. Lasers, Missiles, Drones, bigger guns for bigger ships etc. You are no longer rising up, you are now moving to something else.

This is the main issue folks dont seem to get when they start playing. Bobs been playing 5 years and you have been playing six months. However, you both have max gunnery in a cruiser. Sure he can fly more things than you, but at what you are good at he is good at, you are more or less equal.

Well put Pyro

• darkraptordarkraptor Member Posts: 178
    Originally posted by Atillius

What they said.  
    7 years of "full combat skills" is not 7 years of time invested in training those skill skills.  Gunnery 5 is Gunnery 5.......7 year guy or 60 day guy.   I can't remember many 1v1 fights in EVE either......usually either FW Blobs or Corp Blobs.  Maybe the occational can flipper in a belt...but I don't see many 7 year players doing that. 
    I have (2) 1.5 year old accounts, and (1) 30 day old account.  I stuck with frigate to this day, 5 in Cal and MIm......All I do is tackle for my gang.  I have tackled all sizes of ships and  players will GOBS of time and have had no problem avoiding whatever they shoot at me...Drones...are sometimes a problem but easily handled by my rockets and my speed.  Sure I have popped at times,  but I have also been on km of high time players.  
    Sure a 30 day Ibis pilot will not survive  tow to tow with a 7 year vet in a BB, Dread...etc 1v1.....BUT  I also don't see many Rookie ships fighting FW or any other Blob fights. 
    I read some of these posts and just see chest beating......I bet a noob blob could humble some of these uber vets. 

Could?

How about does and/or does constantly. Scrapheap challenge is all about this. Smart piloting in small ships can take out a bunch of crap and lose a hell of a lot less money than a battleship can. 10 frigates lost to 1 battleship = still a lot more loss in the battleship, and a lot more laughs from the frigates.

It's been done. Anyone who is smart and researches what they are doing (and separates stupid pubbies from people who learn) will find guides like this:  http://evefiles.mysterious-mysteries.com/eve-online_war_target_guide.html

This is why I train new players, why I enjoy pvp, etc. I fly an interceptor and do more in that than people do in a battleship in some scenarios. By specializing in what I do, I do well at it, and I survive quite well too.

/rant

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

I started EVE the week Guild War's was released. I decided to have my own little Experiment. I bought GW's and downloaded EVE. (TS)

I gave GW's the upper hand because it didn't have a monthly fee and started playing it first. After a few Quests outside the starter village I decided to start EVE. After a few minute tutorial I went to an asteroid belt and sat there.....hey what are these red crosses...BOOM! Where did my ship go!!!! What the freak is going on!!! Self-destruct back in station and back to GW. EVE's a fu**in crazy game.

After a week of quest and one magical/special item near a waterfall (and actually having found one other person to talk too) I logged on to EVE again. This time I decided to ask questions. I remember clearly one of my questions was how do you make your ship leave the station.....(press the little yellow and black button on the left noob). After one question someone convo'ed me with the answer and said he was new too and wanted to start a corp of new players...was I in?

We all met up at Perimeter and after that night I never logged into GW's again (actually I did one more time but uninstalled it just after).

During all of this, the question of being able to catch up never came up and to say it was a non-issue is an understatement. The only question I wanted to answer was would i have fun.

That's an affirmative.

You are right Darkraptor....I know there are a few Corps out there that run frigates exclusively and swarm larger ships.  I do believe it was a Goon Swarm tactic when they first started way back when.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Project died? :-(

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

i'm tracking his character on EVEMon and hes still training skills and earning cash.  I guess the site just died is all.

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads