Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Don't let SoE get their hands on this.

Comments

• JYCowboyJYCowboy Member UncommonPosts: 652
    Originally posted by miagisan

no they don't....most of their games are pretty good. SWG was great for like 3 years, EQ1 and EQ2 are still great games, Planetside (small following) but extremely fun. MxO, POTBS, and VG were f'd from the beginning since they inherited it, and they actually made VG into a very good game.
    What you have to remember with games like MxO and SWG...ALL DEVELOPEMENT is controlled by the IP holder, so any changes and updates have to go through WB and LA before they can even be implimented....it is one of the reasons why alot of things never turned up in SWG, and why it takes so friggen long to update and develope them.

qfe

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

For me, and many others, SOE has lost our business for good.

Since this will be an SOE title, I won't be playing.

Doesn't surprise me SOE got the title, with the Sony deep pockets and all, but it's too bad they did.

• TwwIXTwwIX Member Posts: 203

They managed to run two franchise based games into the ground. First SWG then MxO. SWG was dumbified to a class based WoW clone and MxO lost all the goodies it had. From voice actors and live events to cinematics being reduced to pencil drivel.

Not to mention what they have done to the other games in their catalogue.

Sooner or later, this game will succumb to the same fate.

• rekkorrekkor Member Posts: 112

Why do so many of you give SOE  a pass on their failures for the  " They didn't develope it, just bought it and ran it" excuse.  They did destroy SWG I can attest to that personaly. That was all SOE there.  I liked Planet side too, but they then start making rediculous additions and never really balance it out.  I think my point lays in the answer to a question. Would you put your name to something that you know to be a piece of junk, and expect to catch no back lash from the games failures?  I guess it worked for SOE cause thats what they do and so many here give them a free pass. They only have 1 maybe 2 true success stories with mmo's. As for me i'll take the wait and see aproach.

• hellsboomhellsboom Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by NCPilot

Trust me, don't let SoE get their hands on this game, because if they do, they will shove it in the closet with MxO, SWG, Planetside, and Vanguard.  SoE has a terrible track record when it comes to treatment of MMORPGs.  MxO is the worse of all, now we don't have any Devs, and it's doubtful SoE will get us a new one.  Why don't they just pull the plug on MxO, I have no idea, but there it is.
    Trust me, if you want to see this game grow and become better every year, then get someone else other than SoE.
    SoE = Death for MMORPGs.

what's SoE guys? sorry if i where asking... just doesn't understand what it means... thanks..

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300

Trust me, don't let SoE get their hands on this game, because if they do, they will shove it in the closet with MxO, SWG, Planetside, and Vanguard. 
    That's funny. SOE have been developing the DC game since day one. In fact, getting the license for a DC MMO was the whole reason they bought MxO from Monolith in the first place. They wouldn't have bothered otherwise.
    Why don't they just pull the plug on MxO, I have no idea, but there it is.
    Someone hasn't paid attention to the news lately. MxO is shutting down for good in the next few weeks.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Lidane

Trust me, don't let SoE get their hands on this game, because if they do, they will shove it in the closet with MxO, SWG, Planetside, and Vanguard. 
    That's funny. SOE have been developing the DC game since day one. In fact, getting the license for a DC MMO was the whole reason they bought MxO from Monolith in the first place. They wouldn't have bothered otherwise.
    Why don't they just pull the plug on MxO, I have no idea, but there it is.
    Someone hasn't paid attention to the news lately. MxO is shutting down for good in the next few weeks.

And someone else shouldn't necro up threads, check the date first. And if you read the answers you should have seen that several people already said that the OP had no idea what he was talking about since SOE do develop DCU :)

When a thread seems to miss ome new and important point, always check the date on it.

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162

Oh.....it's from SoE............next

• RamadarRamadar Member Posts: 167

Im not worried about SoE handling DCUO cuz I know how DC is when it comes to their games, as soon as DCUO starts to lose profits DC will pull the license and one of 2 things will happen 1) DCUO gets picked up by a different company or 2) DCUO goes offline forever, I've seen this type of marketing from DC Comics for decades so let's just wait and see how this game going to be after release, if it sucks thats the end of it.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb....

• ILty-CatILty-Cat Member Posts: 39

......I'm a SoE Fan.

Just because SoE Buys the games that are all ready going under and then lets people play them for free doesn't make SoE a horrible company.

Just because That starwars game started going under and SoE Made it so that all the classes were equal so that it would be fair to the players and so the new players didn't ditch it so fast doesn't make them a bad company.

I think before you people become haters you should research who you decide to hate instead of going by a bunch of pansy gamerbois word.

The Jedi were over powered, SoE fixed it. The end.

People need to stop talking smack about them just because they tried making the game fun for EVERYONE instead of the over powered jedi so the jedi could run around slaughtering noobies.

:/

Losers.

Suck it up.

Get a grip.

Stop being pansies.

Unknot your panties.

<3 Have a nice day.

Also.......>>; ARe you trying to be funny....SoE IS paying for this game to be developed..

....I mean...It's not like they're buying this game from someone. ):

Also, SoE Did NOT create the greenhouse effect. So chill.

Can't we just all get along? >D

/\*. "Pew Pew"
    | | `.
    | | *>|o

Darkfall = Epic fail.

Originally posted by ILty-Cat

......I'm a SoE Fan.
    Just because SoE Buys the games that are all ready going under and then lets people play them for free doesn't make SoE a horrible company.  What game did they allow folks to play free?  Vanguard, POTBS and MxO all were P2P.
    Just because That starwars game started going under and SoE Made it so that all the classes were equal so that it would be fair to the players and so the new players didn't ditch it so fast doesn't make them a bad company.  No, you are correct that it didn't make them bad to try and save that game.  What made them detestable was the marketing of the game in a blatent "take it or leave it" tone to its then playerbase.  This approach was thought to be acceptable in light of the new demographic they targeted.  An imaginary player base that never materialized.
    I think before you people become haters you should research who you decide to hate instead of going by a bunch of pansy gamerbois word.  Agreed, as I blame Lucas Arts for pushing the change as much as SOE offered the solution.
    The Jedi were over powered, SoE fixed it. The end.  The reason for the change was much deeper than nerfing the Alpha Class or taking out the unreaonsble weapons.  It was a total shift from World Simulator "sandbox" enviroment to a simpler Linear MMOG to copy the success of WOW.  Lucas Arts could not deal with thier IP being less than another in the market.
    People need to stop talking smack about them just because they tried making the game fun for EVERYONE instead of the over powered jedi so the jedi could run around slaughtering noobies.   Newbies are newbie, they can be slaughtered by any class with the right build and experiance.
    :/
    Losers.
    Suck it up.
    Get a grip.
    Stop being pansies.
    Unknot your panties.
    <3 Have a nice day.

Also.......>>; ARe you trying to be funny....SoE IS paying for this game to be developed..
    ....I mean...It's not like they're buying this game from someone. ):
    Also, SoE Did NOT create the greenhouse effect. So chill.

I got to see DCUO played this past weekend at SOE Fan Faire.  Much like the release of Free Realms, its a solid little game.  Its combat seems a bit simple to me but the world and characters are beautiful.  I look forward to trying it as I am a big fan of DC Comics.

Oh, I am a launch day vet of SWG and stil play today.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Trust me, don't let SoE get their hands on this game, because if they do, they will shove it in the closet with MxO, SWG, Planetside, and Vanguard.  SoE has a terrible track record when it comes to treatment of MMORPGs.  MxO is the worse of all, now we don't have any Devs, and it's doubtful SoE will get us a new one.  Why don't they just pull the plug on MxO, I have no idea, but there it is.
    Trust me, if you want to see this game grow and become better every year, then get someone else other than SoE.
    SoE = Death for MMORPGs.

FYI,SOe did not fail these games,they failed themselves.

Planetside was on my list as one of the worst games i ever played/tried.VG was a great game that lacked money,nothing to do with a SOE problem.

SWG was a failing game,even when it was in it's infancy,the numbers rose,then the numbers began to fall rapidly BEFORE the NGE.

SOE ,SAVED the FF series,so much so that it has rebounded to be one of the best gaming series of ALL TIME.

SOE tried EVERYTHING in their power to save EQ2,including every week petitions to the players asking their opinions of the game.When players decide to leave ,it is too late,there is nothing a developer can do to return it to stardom or allow it to hit stardom.As far as EQ2 is concerned,the players agreed to a split of RMT servers and regular no RMT servers.They made tons of changes to the game,but the reality is that they may have pleased a VERY small number,but it wil lnot bring back the masses.

Gaming is ALWAYS the same across the board,players tend to be FOLLOWERS,they follow their friends or the masses into games,then only stick around afterwards,because they are afraid to let go of their hard work or their high elvel players,even though they may be board stiff of the game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448
    Originally posted by Wizardry

SoE = Death for MMORPGs.

SWG was a failing game,even when it was in it's infancy,the numbers rose,then the numbers began to fall rapidly BEFORE the NGE.

Nothing about SWG was failing until SOE destroyed it. The game was very healthy before they attempted to destroy it with the CU, and finished it off with the NGE.

www.mmogchart.com/Chart2.html

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221

So you sony haters dont play sony games? No mmo's no ps2 or ps3 games and i assume you have no sony electronics  in your home either. How about movies, do you go to or watch on tv any movies distributed by sony? And before the crap starts about how SOE and Sony are seperate companies be it known thats bullshit and if you buy anything sony you support the whole corporation.

• CyntheCynthe Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

And now this is about the NGE....

Funny OP ^-^  This is SOE's next baby wether you agree or not with cash shops or their money grabbing ways, SOE does support their own games very well. The acquired stuff are given support so they don't die, but as soon as they are no longer lucrative they'll be cut loose. That's how the cookie crumbles.

(,,,)=^__^=(,,,)

• kefkahkefkah Member UncommonPosts: 832
    Originally posted by grandpagamer

So you sony haters dont play sony games? No mmo's no ps2 or ps3 games and i assume you have no sony electronics  in your home either. How about movies, do you go to or watch on tv any movies distributed by sony? And before the crap starts about how SOE and Sony are seperate companies be it known thats bullshit and if you buy anything sony you support the whole corporation.

I beg to differ. SOE is a division of Sony. While funding does make its way to the Sony parent company, that does not imply that if a division is doing poorly or if it suffers from poor PR that Sony can and will not change or reorganized said division. What I mean to say is that owning Sony movies helps the profitability of said Sony division. Not buying or subscribing to an SOE mmo hurts that division. Sony like any other corporation would rather alter, absorb or sell off a division before it starts to really affect the bottom line of the entire company.

No, I do not believe that SOE is doing that poorly in the subscription side of things for some of its mmo's. Nor do I think that SOE is any immediate danger (though Sony's overhaul of the entire company ought to have every division concerned) . I am just arguing the case that not supporting one division of a company does in fact make a difference because DVD buyers are a different target audience than mmo players.

AND to get back to this necro'd thread. DCU is entirely Sony's doing. It will receive preferential treatment especially when it starts to tie into the PS3 realm. Will it revolutionize the MMO world? Nope. It will be a combination of the most common denominators found in successful mmos and action based games. Perfect for younger audiences but far from it for the older meat and potatoes mmo gamers.

Originally posted by Abrahmm

Originally posted by Wizardry

SoE = Death for MMORPGs.

Nothing about SWG was failing until SOE destroyed it. The game was very healthy before they attempted to destroy it with the CU, and finished it off with the NGE.

www.mmogchart.com/Chart2.html

Oh, please!!  Did you play Pre-CU? 

Lets follow the history of that chart, Abrahmm.  SWG releases June 26, 2003.  It enjoys a steady climb as players log in to a tune of 300k subs.  Quickly, casual players and veterian MMO players find a mediocre grinder that stripped of its Star Wars skin is pretty incomplete and lacking in content.  Sub begin the first drop.  Jump to Lightspeed releases and calls back those that dropped to return subs to 300k.  Consumption of the first expansion ends and subs drop steadily to about 250k.  Annoucment of the CURB coupled with the release of RotW boosts subs up maybe 10k.  Then the CU fall out to 180k happens as SOE says one thing but delivers something completely different.  At this point a spike to 220k sub happens as players log in to set up for the ToOW release.  At this point, SOE announces that 1million units are sold(PR spin to how many boxes, not subs). On Nov 15, 2005 the NGE is launched and subs plumet to 120k about July of 2006.  This level is maintained but slowly drops to about 100k in Oct 2007.  Thats the last Guesstimation based on insiders and hearsay. 

Within a few months, of SWG launch, the writing was on the wall that SWG was not doing so well and was loosing subs.  The problem was doubled (the next year) with the release of a game that was highly polished, simple to play and had easy system requirments. That game sucked the all subs from the then dominate games of the day.  World of Warcraft.  Its been pulling players ever since.

Lucas Arts was beyond mad at SOE for this failure.  SWG never came close to its top goal, beating Linage and Linage 2 as top game. www.mmogchart.com/Chart1 That all changed with WOW.

You like the Pre-CU as it was a challenge.  Many agree with you as do I.  However, the common subscriber didn't want a second job when they came home to play thier 3hour average a night.  They quit without a post telling how uber they were.  These are the ones polled by Lucas Arts on why they quit.  There were more of them then there was of us(hardcore).  At this point, I like to express this:  Who told SOE to change the game?

The only ones that found perfection in the Pre-CU were us dedicated hardcore players and not the target demographic.

• veritas_Xveritas_X Member Posts: 393

Methinks the OP missed the boat.

SOE is the original developer of this game, and not only that, they're throwing a shit-ton of money into its development (hiring DC artist Jim Lee, a lengthy gestation and production period, etc). 

Don't get me wrong, I wish it wasn't their game, as it will no doubt be an adult version of the Free Realms RMT extravaganza that their executives have such a hard-on for, but they're not taking it over like they did with EQ/MXO/Vanguard.  Its been their game since inception.

• SonikFlashSonikFlash Member UncommonPosts: 561

SoE = Death for MMORPGs.

Yea Im not gonna trust you because eh your ignorant in a word.  But hey we all gotta start somewhere, cheers

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Oh, please!! Did you play Pre-CU? .

I agree with you're stance, but I feel your picture on the past is a touch colored.

[...]mediocre grinder[...]

The games was only a grinder to those who did not know what they were doing, which was all of us for the first week or two.. After that teir progression was a breeze. If you mean by "grinder" that you had to kill many mobs, then yes you are correct, but I am assuming an implication of "Excessive killing of mobs, for hours/days/weeks" was your intention.

with the release of a game that was highly polished, simple to play and had easy system requirments

You know I hear this all the time? Your statement is not actually able to stand on its own legs. The implication of high polish is a bit rubbish. The game underwent a rocky start, certainly not as bad per se as Darkfall... never the less it was far from polished in the sense of client/server side stability. There was also a distinct lack of content, perhaps many didn't progress quickly enough to notice it... but I did. In addition to this balance, which remains an ongoing knee jerk, was horrendous. All in all while this is typical of a new release, it is not (to me) worthy of the "Polished" title. You are right never the less, that the game was simple to play.

You like the Pre-CU as it was a challenge. Many agree with you as do I. The only ones that found perfection in the Pre-CU were us dedicated hardcore players[...]

SWG was not a challenge, I did enjoy the game much more prior to the CU ... but even then it wasn't enough to hold my interest. The only challenge in SWG was the honeymoon phase ... which you, as well as the majority of us SWG vets remember very fondly. My point is ... those honeymoon moments we look back on so often, are a poor realization of SWG as a whole. The grind in Swg was par for the course, I've seen much worse since then.. and certainly more challenges.

Originally posted by Redemp

Oh, please!! Did you play Pre-CU? .
     I agree with you're stance, but I feel your picture on the past is a touch colored.

[...]mediocre grinder[...]
      The games was only a grinder to those who did not know what they were doing, which was all of us for the first week or two.. After that teir progression was a breeze. If you mean by "grinder" that you had to kill many mobs, then yes you are correct, but I am assuming an implication of "Excessive killing of mobs, for hours/days/weeks" was your intention.
    with the release of a game that was highly polished, simple to play and had easy system requirments
     You know I hear this all the time? Your statement is not actually able to stand on its own legs. The implication of high polish is a bit rubbish. The game underwent a rocky start, certainly not as bad per se as Darkfall... never the less it was far from polished in the sense of client/server side stability. There was also a distinct lack of content, perhaps many didn't progress quickly enough to notice it... but I did. In addition to this balance, which remains an ongoing knee jerk, was horrendous. All in all while this is typical of a new release, it is not (to me) worthy of the "Polished" title. You are right never the less, that the game was simple to play.
    You like the Pre-CU as it was a challenge. Many agree with you as do I. The only ones that found perfection in the Pre-CU were us dedicated hardcore players[...]
     SWG was not a challenge, I did enjoy the game much more prior to the CU ... but even then it wasn't enough to hold my interest. The only challenge in SWG was the honeymoon phase ... which you, as well as the majority of us SWG vets remember very fondly. My point is ... those honeymoon moments we look back on so often, are a poor realization of SWG as a whole. The grind in Swg was par for the course, I've seen much worse since then.. and certainly more challenges.

I was refering to World of Warcraft and not SWG.

Look, Im a realist.  I loved the old game but it had huge problems.  So much so that the devs tried to solve them by completely changing the system to resolve it twice.  The "honeymoon phase" you refer to for me was playing my first MMO with R/L friends.  That quickly ended as the nerfs and bugs started to appear and the population disappeared.  The biggest flaw to Pre-CU is when Jedi was unlocked.  That event changed the culture of the game overnight. Instead of exploring and adventuring,  everyone was working on unlocking thier Jedi.  Nothing else mattered once how it was done was confirmed.  It was the main element that contributed to radical direction of the NGE and its loathing.

I have no idea why you thought I was looking back with rose colored glasses.  My post was in responce to someone elses "rose colored glasses" with a review of his evidance of sub history.

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

The only reason I brought it up was because the shoe fits everyone's feet. You had a few choice descripters of Swg, of which I thought were a touch inaccurate and represented with a "honeymoon" memmory. Perhaps they were not though.

I know you were refering to WoW, thats why I responded the way I did. I do not believe WoW was polished at launch, or within the six months there after.  You are correct, as soon as Jedi unlocked..I stopped searching for more Grauls to kill Krayts with. I stopped working on the best ways to use my fencing abilities, and then my Grenadier subs. I stopped exploring for the neat mobs others might have overlooked as worthy pets.

Then again though ... Jedi gave many people a reason to play, we all need a goal to strive for.

Back to the topic though ...  SOE makes quality games. You need only look at the saturated market currently to establish a refrence point to base this on. MxO was doomed from launch, I have actually played Alphas with more depth. Vanguard was and still remains a wonderful purchase for SoE. I have had many friends and family who have only decided to leave the game in the past months. POTBS  was a niche market from the get go... we should all know how they fare in the big picture.  Soe has the money and the experience to turn DC Universe into a quality AAA title, because they are a quality studio.

• jjjk29jjjk29 Member Posts: 295

No offense first off.  But SoE is making this game and im glad, because it would have been bad anyways.  DC runs horrible storys where all the characters can always beat their rivals.  Please Superman can do everything in the book?  Thats weak?  Now iff there was a Marvel Universe coming out it would be decent if SoE made it or not.  Every "superhero" needs its limits...

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by jjjk29

No offense first off.  But SoE is making this game and im glad, because it would have been bad anyways.  DC runs horrible storys where all the characters can always beat their rivals.  Please Superman can do everything in the book?  Thats weak?  Now iff there was a Marvel Universe coming out it would be decent if SoE made it or not.  Every "superhero" needs its limits...

Let's see. Superman got the shit kicked out of him and KILLED by Doomsday. Batman was literally broken by Bane and even became a junkie for a bit.

Yeah, the heroes win everytime.

• jjjk29jjjk29 Member Posts: 295

Ok... Superman had no weaknesses but one day an alien comes looking for him breaks his back and its all over?  Ok sounds awesome to me.  Them Superman comes back to life.  Sweet and remains Super forever....

And Batman is in my op the only good thing that ever came out of DC, besides Watchmen.  Because he has no powers and he can still beat up anyone in his path.  Including Bane.