Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this game worth buying

Iv read quite alot of mixed opinions on this game and one of my friends who plays it says its good but i just want to know if the game is actually worth buying from some of the more 'hardcore' players opinions, or has/is it going down the drain. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• CthulhuvongCthulhuvong Member UncommonPosts: 433

Before the trolls get here and just start yelling "NO ITS NOT WORTH IT GO AWAY!!!!1!!!11!one!!1!!!" I'd like to same some things.

First off, what are you looking for?This will help us tell you whether its good for you or not.

Secondly, don't trust the opinions of SOE bashers, SWG bashers, and people who haven't played in months. Lik most MMOGs, the game is ever changing and improving.

So reply and we can find out if this is right for you.

Games Tried:
    Everquest (boring)
    Earth and Beyond (kinda fun, kinda boring)
    Planetside (rather play Counter-Strike)
    Lineage 2 (see Everquest above, plus too many PKers and Bots)
    Guild Wars [E3 trial] (Not too bad, nothing very new though)
    Eve Online (somewhat fun, somewhat repetetive)
    WoW (not my cup of tea)

Waiting for:
    Fallen Earth (Post-apoc just rules!)

Waiting For: something good
    Games Tried: SWTOR, Star Trek Online, EQ, EQ2, Earth and Beyond, Planetside, Lineage 2, Eve Online, WoW, City of Heroes, City of Villians, Auto Assault, Fallen Earth
    Star Wars: Galaxies - Ibra Olasi (Valcyn Server) [Dead, screw you SOE]

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718
    I think it is worth buying. As my first mmorpg trial and the first mmorpg I ever played. I enjoyed myself.

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• PhusPhus Member UncommonPosts: 40

My opinion, as if it mattered, is that SWG is a fairly nifty game if you're a fan or even if you aren't. I personally don't care much for Star Wars and the lot, but I found the game to be fairly enthralling with it's drastic change in venues and individualistic leveling system.

Obviously it has it's drawbacks, but that's never usualy more than the "1337 h@X()12" that spends day-in, day-out maxing out his Teras Kasi/Brawling Master to take down Rancors with a mean grimace. Not that those people don't have their place, but an over inflation of said players makes any game kinda poopie.

• JohnarkJohnark Member Posts: 901

You know... if you want to enjoy Star Wars Galaxies... don't do any of the following:

A) DO NOT MAKE FRIENDS WITH RICH PEOPLE!  If you ever ask anyone, or friend, or just beg, for credits.  And you get over 100k too quickly, you will hate this game quickly.  There are so many money-holes and ways to become an instant millionaire in this game.  If you avoid any of that, you just might enjoy the game.

B) Do not get buffed or buy 80% kinetic resistance armor.  Of course, if you are poor, you cannot afford them.

C) Take your time to master a profession.  Avoid the fact you can become anything you want and create any template you want in 3-7 days, and you will enjoy this game.  I remember it taking me 1-2 months to master a profession.  Today, the way SWG has become, I can master 3 professions in 2 weeks.

I remember the day I actually enjoyed being uber and invinsible.  It was fun... cause you can do whatever you want, kill whatever you want, and become rich so fast you can afford anything you want instead of looting it on your own.  Once I felt I've done everything, I got bored and quit.

But don't take my word for it... I've been playing for a year, taking my time and everything for a good 5-6 months, then the last few months all I ever did was grind the Jedi quests and nothing else cause I found everything else in the game boring and deja-vu.

But 2 months ago, when I actually convinced my friend to join SWG, gave him 100k to start off with and teached him the ways of Doctor Buffs and 80% kinetic resistance armor.  He mastered Swordsman in 2 weeks (Since he was new, he had to get used to the game), finished a bunch of quests, and told me before his 30 day free trial expired, that he found the game boring.

I ruined SWG for him, showing him the evil ways of playing.

That's why if you wanna enjoy the game, in a game where 90% of the people are playing like this, just do everything they aren't doing.

____ _ ____________ _ ____

Everquest 2 female elves are HAWT! World of Warcraft nightelves are NAWT! I'm not an EQ2 fanboy, I'm an elf fanboy. (^_^)

I'll go for blond hair, white skin elves anyday!!!
    ____ _ ____________ _ ____

___________ ___ __ _ _ _
    Stealth - Ambush - Hemorrhage - Sinister Strike x2 - Cold Blood - Eviscerate - Vanish - Preparation - Cold Blood - Ambush - ... you're dead! :P

I have to agree with you there Johnark, if you grind or rush a profession it won't be fun. If you have a ton of money just given to you it won't be fun. If you can beat everything with little challenge, its not going to be fun.

Without the challenge, it gets quite boring. If you grind, it will get tedious. With too much money, you are able to remove the challenge and are tempted to grind your professions.

One thing I don't agree with is not making friends with rich people. You can make friends with them, just don't take their money or things. Maybe a few small things, but not a ton of stuff.

Just take your time and have fun, and you'll have a blast. Find some people to play with, make some friends, get involved in the community, and have fun with your character.

Games Tried:
    Everquest (boring)
    WoW (not my cup of tea)

Waiting for:

Games Tried: SWTOR, Star Trek Online, EQ, EQ2, Earth and Beyond, Planetside, Lineage 2, Eve Online, WoW, City of Heroes, City of Villians, Auto Assault, Fallen Earth

• panachepanache Member UncommonPosts: 397

It all depends on your style of play. For me it was to  master bounty hunter and when i did that there was no content at all for me to immerse myself in. I couldn't even get high end loot at dungeons because some uber buffed swordsman would get all the drops by killstealing while not even at the keyboard (damn afk play)

If your the short of person who would like new challenges and have no qualms about giving up a recently mastered profession to try something new SWG will always have something for you.

I did eventually did try a few more professions but with the power of buffs and armour i became a lazy player and instead of having to find mobs at my level, i could just stay on Dantooine and fight mobs way above what i should be able to. 

Pan

Pan

• BearishSunBearishSun Member Posts: 50

You should try it out for sure, I had an account since release, and I've always managed to have alot of fun. The guy who said that "if you get 100k game wont be fun" is wrong. For one thing 100k is nothing, even if you get 10x that you won't have enough cash to buy all the special and unique items in the game. Legendary and ancient items are priced over 100 million sometimes, and trust me, in order to get that 100 million you would have to be buffing as doc on starport for 1 month 24/7, and that's only for one item. I admit leveling is very fast, but this removes the xp grind(of course, like I implied, there is money grind tho), and leaves you with more option to perfect your character.

Also if you like grinds and taking a long time to level you can always go for Jedi. Jedi takes a long long long time to master, but it can be pretty fun to play.

BTW community is great in SWG, cities are packed with people, most of which are friendly. Consdering I'm playing on medium population server, I have yet to play a game with this many people around, considering how many servers there are. There are litteraly 20-30 people standing in your line when you are buffing as a doctor, this can be very enjoyable I tell ya :)

Now, personally I don't like combat much in SWG, it's a bit slow and too much turn-based if you ask me, but that's how all MMOG are, I just prefer some kind of FPS/RPG mix. But there's much more to do than just combat, all of the crafting profesions are very fun. This game has really developed crafting system, which is hard to master. In order to make good items it will take you days of resource-surfing for the perfect one, and when you find it, you better stockpile as much as you can, because who knows when it's gonna dissapear.

If you're into PvP this game is perfect for ya. You are not forced to PvP, but if you want to, there is so many options. You may duel, and much more fun alternative is GCW(Galactic Civil War) + guild wars. Very fun perticipating in one of these battles, attacking other guilds base, and crushing it to pieces one by one.

There is also Jump to Lightspeed expansion, but I can't tell you anything about that, I didin't order it coz I was saving up for EQII.

Hope this helps a bit. image

Uglyyyy!

• zedstormzedstorm Member Posts: 6

my opinion.. It depends alot on what you like.. If you like the sci-fi genre this is a good game. Tried it for some months, and i liked it.. But after those months it got kinda boring.. But im a Fantasy fan so i like the everquest genre much better... So to say it more easy .. Sci-fi : Starwars.. If you like fantasy Buy EQ2  image

• DentralisDentralis Member Posts: 6

No this game is not worth buying.  Infact you can have my copy.  Now before anyone starts flaming me, I am a huge Star Wars Fan and collector of all the things Vintage (mostly the toys).  So I do have an incling of what I am about to say.

Although I have been out of the loop for a few months these problems still hold true.  In one word SOE, they have done nothing but hurt the game.  Dumbing down classes to the point where tey bec ame useless, ie creature handler, droid mech or builder cant remember, among others.  Almost made bounty hunter a totally useless class as well.  I am hoping they have fixed these problems with the classes.  Don't get me started on the whole Jedi thing, SOE thinks that having everyone just master all professions should allow them to have a jedi slot is the dumbest thing ever.

And how big does SOE think that a planet is, you shouldn't be able to run aacross a planet in an hour.  And I don't remember Luke ever running to go find R2-D2, he used a F-ing speeder.  I also understand that Light speed is out now so at least you can buy a space ship now.  although it should have been a update and not a add-on.

Also the fact that it turned from Star Wars to Pet Wars was another brutal mistake from SOE.  And yes I was in there with everyone else, although my pet was an AT-ST, so I am to blame as well.

please take all of this as some one who hasn't played the game in 6 months, and if things that I have mentioned above have been rectified please feel free to correct me.  But don't flame me for telling the truth about the game, because I did think it was awesome to play in the Star Wars universe and had lots of fun despite the problems that led to my cancelling my account.

• bverjibverji Member UncommonPosts: 722
    Stay away...

No longer pet wars, we've had vehicles and player cities for a good while now, Lightspeed was planned to be an expansion from before Galaxies even came out, your running across a planet argument makes no sense, and I agree the Jedi stuff was dumb.

You say creature handler was useless, but then go on to say that the game was all pet wars. Please explain.

Games Tried:
    Everquest (boring)
    WoW (not my cup of tea)

Waiting for:

• TENPINN0TENPINN0 Member Posts: 21
    Thanks alot for all the great replys, again very mixed but still great i think ill just hold out a little while longer and wait for WoW and spend the cash on that instead. Still ill keep an eye out for this one and see how it does in the future, maybe drastic changes will be made and the old fun that you guys speak of will be brought back, if so then maybe ill give it a shot as im a fan of Star Wars anyway. Thanks again to all of you who replied.

• Originally posted by Dentralis

No this game is not worth buying.  Infact you can have my copy. 

Well if you say so, send me a MMORPG.com Personal Message with your CD-Key number, account login name, and password. If you really don't want your SWG copy. imageimage

Or you can email me the info at:

[email protected]

-Personal Website (A Work in progress):
    http://www.geocities.com/xplororor/index.html
    -AC, AC2, AO, EQ, SWG:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor
    -More SWG:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/captain_sica_xol
    -EverQuest II:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_eq2archives01
    -EQ, Dungeon Siege, Diablo II, *UXO*:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_archives01
    -EVE Online !!!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/sica_xol_archives01

• ToomsTooms Member Posts: 17

Here is another view on the game.

I play this game for almost a year, casually. I take my time to master a profession. Been rifleman from the first day. And changed my second proffession twice (first fencer second docter). I am still enjoying the game. A great why I still enjoy it is because I am in a guild. Off course a lot of people do that. But in my case, first I am dutch, we got a very large dutch community on a server. We got 5 different guilds but we al live in the same city we build ourselfs and is now one of the largests player city on the server. It is really fun, not because the real game is so much fun (i think it is, but also think it needs more improvement) because we all going/working for the same goals. And off course you got the activities with your own guild and the things you wanna do on your own. So for me it isn't just playing a game doing stuff meeting people, what the rest of these guys tell.

I hope to give you another perspective of the option, but off course you can have this also with another MMORPG. And I also think that SWG needs more improvement (for example the easy money you can make with missions, where gladly come a patch that nerf the missions payout).

In short, if there is a trial, do that first and then take your desision.

• ArtifacTArtifacT Member Posts: 222

hehehe they nerfed solo groups so that mission money gets distributed evenly ::::12:: but i do think the game needed that even though everyone will complain about it...i think it was good for the overall development for the game

• JohnarkJohnark Member Posts: 901

well to be quite honest... a new player that doesn't know anything about SWG will have a blast.

It's once you get used to the game, learn all the tricks on how to become Uber and a millionaire, that's when SWG begins to suck.

Not right away though.  I mean nothing is more fun in a game than having an easy time.  After learning all the tricks, you will have fun for a month or two.  Problem is, once you're a millionaire, visited all the planets, all the Points of Interests, done all possible solo-quests (Which represent a good 90% of the game)... you'll be asking yourself: "What do I do next?"

This is when you start to feel SWG is lacking content, you wanna do another profession and see all the downfalls of it.  Or you become a crafter and realize your prices cannot compete with everyone else.

If you're looking for a MMORPG to be playing for a long time, SWG is probably not the game for you.  But I could be contradicting myself cause now SOE is somewhat balancing the game to make the game harder to play.  So a newbie will enter a world that is challenging and harder.

Not like a few months ago where I tried to get my friend to play, I gave him 100,000 credits to start off with, gave him uber armor and teached him all the tricks.  In 1 month he mastered the profession he wanted to be, he was bored, he felt like there was nothing left to do other than explore all the planets... so he quit SWG.  And I felt like it was my fault.  That was the day I realized you must not help newbies TOO MUCH!!!!  Never tip them lots of money, never give them any 80% kinetic resistance armor whatsoever, or else you will ruin their gameplay

___________ ___ __ _ _ _
    Stealth - Ambush - Hemorrhage - Sinister Strike x2 - Cold Blood - Eviscerate - Vanish - Preparation - Cold Blood - Ambush - ... you're dead! :P

• liviu1977liviu1977 Member CommonPosts: 5
    To answer the initial question: yes i think it's worthed....the problems that ppl have enumerated are there, some more annoying -some less.I've been playing the game since september 2003 and still enjoy itimageBeing able to have several chars spread over several servers provided some spicing to the game , grinding for jedi(yes you read correctly-grinding) provided different kind of "fun"-trying different professions, but most of all, being in a guild for almost a year now was the part that made me come back to the game times and again...JTL also seems to be a quite enjoyable experience(from what my guildies say)....but I degress, or do I?....get the game , try it out, give it a couple of months, you may or may not be disappointedimage

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." - Kierkegaard
    "Driving is like American politics. D goes forward and R goes in reverse."

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." - Kierkegaard
    "Driving is like American politics. D goes forward and R goes in reverse."

• diablito123diablito123 Member Posts: 15
    yeah it worth ! image