Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would love to get into this game

DavarienDavarien Member UncommonPosts: 31

However, have to try the free trial. Problem is when I try to run the free trial, since I modified my vista theme.ddl it will not let me run the game?

Hmm? Id rather not revert back to stock settings. Not sure why this is so relevant to running this game, can anyone expand on this topic?

Comments

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

In what way did you modify it?

I have never seen this issue before, and i just some searched on the forum, and the knowledge base, and came with nothing for theme.ddl.

Whats the error you are getting?

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• DavarienDavarien Member UncommonPosts: 31

Just took a modified theme and replaced it with the stock one. The error I get says that I need to revert back to windows vista original settings. Then it attempts to load the game and just quits.

I will attempt the trial again. I would love to order the game and get started. Im at my end with WoW, and after 9 years of EQ1 and 2 of EQ2 I believe it is time for a new game.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

This is going to sound odd but have you tried running it a second time after it doesn't work the first time right away?  For some strange reason I get an error Vista message the first time I try loading the game to but if I retry right away a second time it works every time. Makes no sense to me but it works.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

LOL I have to launch the game twice in Vista too. No error message, just it doesn't launch the first time. A minor annoyance that I have not bothered to look into, but just weird.

Odd thing is, i run vista, and do not have a problem. The only thing i have to do is make sure to click the screen *the lotro one) after it says that areo has turned off/is incompatible.

Could it be that you guys are simply loosing focus due to Areo?

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by Senadina

No error message, just it doesn't launch the first time. A minor annoyance that I have not bothered to look into, but just weird.

Same issue with Win 7, odd thing is sometimes it launches the first time , sometimes it takes 2 tries. never had it take more than 2 so I am like you, I just shrug it off and continue on.

I miss DAoC

• AphamApham Member UncommonPosts: 99

I have ran the game successfully on Win 7 (which I currently use) and Win Vista with no problems.  I think I do know what you guys are talking about. On occasion when running in Vista the game after start up would just shut down as if I had never initiated it. Running it a second time usually does the trick.

I got it working, after some googling I found out that you cannot run the game with the vista aero skin. There is actually a file that will close the game if aero is running.  This does this to ensure the game runs smoothly.

My only debate right now is after 9 years of MMORPG's and leveling characters to 70+ do I really want to try it on another MMO? Basically trying to figure out if this game fits me.  I am an old eq players so vast pve content and raiding is what I enjoy, but after playing WoW since release and balancing other games pvp has become a favorite as well.

Originally posted by Davarien

I got it working, after some googling I found out that you cannot run the game with the vista aero skin. There is actually a file that will close the game if aero is running.  This does this to ensure the game runs smoothly.

My only debate right now is after 9 years of MMORPG's and leveling characters to 70+ do I really want to try it on another MMO? Basically trying to figure out if this game fits me.  I am an old eq players so vast pve content and raiding is what I enjoy, but after playing WoW since release and balancing other games pvp has become a favorite as well.

At level 10, you can play as a monster.

----------

How are you?" -Me

Haha, I think I might pick up the game for $9.99 and try it out for a month.

I think my current problem is I am so burnt out on MMO's after 9 years of consistant playing. I have always been playing a game. I would come home from work and immerse myself in the game. After leveling around 30-40 characters to level caps, probably 4-5 characters per game I played the thought of having to do it again keeps me away from subbing to any game right now.

Maybe its because I have yet to find a game that I am able to jump in, from start be able to interact with the community but yet still continue on with my progression in the world. The run of the mill, go here talk to this guy, kill 10 of these mobs and gain this much experience is a trend in every single game to date. Some games like Everquest 2 at first were like that, however the quests were enticing in the lore. Then after getting a character to level cap and raiding, progression stops and you make an alt. Just to find out that those quests that seemed so unique the first time, are the same exact quests you will receive on your new character.

Well, glad you got it working.

----------

How are you?" -Me

• kiddyno071kiddyno071 Member Posts: 1,330

There is a lot of content in LOTRO and I think you could easily lvl an alt to cap without having to do too many repeat quests at the higher level 30+  Whatever you decide GL!