Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is this game not on the popular game forums?

markyturnipmarkyturnip Member UncommonPosts: 837

Dont fully understand how this works.

City of Heroes/Villains - essentially the same game - gets two different billings in the popular games list.

TCOS gets none...

What are the criteria here? Is it purely by population? Or are there fees involved?

Comments

• SomnulusSomnulus Member Posts: 354

I don't fully understand your question; didn't you just post in another thread here that you were trying to cancel your subscription?

And then you ask why TCoS isn't in the popular games forum?

That's more than just a little contradictory, isn't it?

Abbatoir / Abbatoir Cinq
    Adnihilo
    Beorn Judge's Edge
    Somnulus
    Perfect Black
    ----------------------
    Asheron's Call / Asheron's Call 2
    Everquest / Everquest 2
    Anarchy Online
    Shadowbane
    Dark Age of Camelot
    Star Wars Galaxies
    Matrix Online
    World of Warcraft
    Guild Wars
    City of Heroes

• markyturnipmarkyturnip Member UncommonPosts: 837

I differentiate between the game and the company that runs the website and subs. (which is different in both EU and US)

The game is very cool. The company that handles the subs appears pretty inept right now - although with enough hammering you seem to get what you need. I wanted to cancel because I was concerned about the lack of cancellation options... if you see what I mean. If I lose confidence in a service provider, I try to get out ASAP. Just my general approach.

But the game itself has attracted a lot of attention from MMO vets who are dying for a fresh take, and well worth discussing.

I don't think the positions are necessarily contradictory.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

A simple answer for a simple question:

because the game simply is not popular.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• markyturnipmarkyturnip Member UncommonPosts: 837
    Originally posted by eyeswideopen

I guess.. but less popular than 'Wizard 101'?

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414
    Originally posted by markyturnip

Wizard 101 isn't run by morons. I think that helps.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

I think it's because of the way it was released.

If memory serves me correctly there wasn't an announcment of release date, some makreting and then release. It was more like "hey, it's now available for play and download and only in Europe".

Then eventually there was a blurb here saying "ok, now it's available in the U.S.

A good many people probably don't even know it was released.

For me, I had difficulty with their downloader and it took a while.

Eventually it worked but the tedious tutorial and that first quest where I have to run to towers to get status reports sort of placed me in a "ok I give up, not doing it mood" and I just could't do it all over again in a new game. Granted, as I've said before I didn't give the game a fair shot but this type of gameplay is just not going to reel me in at the moment.

However, getting back to the original point, I think it was how the game released which sort of worked against it.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Eventually it worked but the tedious tutorial and that first quest where I have to run to towers to get status reports sort of placed me in a "ok I give up, not doing it mood" and I just could't do it all over again in a new game. Granted, as I've said before I didn't give the game a fair shot but this type of gameplay is just not going to reel me in at the moment.

If it's any consolation, I had the same reaction when doing that quest as well.

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • GrenadierGrenadier Member Posts: 91
    Originally posted by LynxJSA

It was a little shocking at first, but then I realized that I could see the towers on the map and I was going to be heading that way anyway. I can't think of a MMOG that I have played that didn't have something similar. "I will take thee!" What got me was the constant back and forth from the Hawksmouth town to the docks, back to the hunting camp, back to the docks, back to the town, etc etc. In fact, the deliveries didn't even slow down until I got to Ringfell Hearth.

I always considered the long delivery quests as time for my wrists to rest since I am always struggling with repetitve strain injuries in my wrist.

• bmdevinebmdevine Member Posts: 429
    Originally posted by Grenadier
    It was a little shocking at first, but then I realized that I could see the towers on the map and I was going to be heading that way anyway. I can't think of a MMOG that I have played that didn't have something similar. "I will take thee!" What got me was the constant back and forth from the Hawksmouth town to the docks, back to the hunting camp, back to the docks, back to the town, etc etc. In fact, the deliveries didn't even slow down until I got to Ringfell Hearth.

I always considered the long delivery quests as time for my wrists to rest since I am always struggling with repetitve strain injuries in my wrist.

That's one thing that concerns me about this type of combat.  People can always say it takes more skill, and whether it does or not, I don't really care - having to constantly click mouse buttons in combat is bound to cause this sort of injury, even in people who don't already have it.  It's one thing to have it in a short little game that takes a few minutes, but in something that's designed for people to play hours on end day after day for months to years, the dynamic is bound to be a boon to doctors and physical therapists.

I guess it's more of a concern in DF than TCoS, because I believe in TCoS you can use the number keys to access the skills, but if you don't know the trick to setting the reticule mode, you still have to hold the mouse button down while aiming, correct?

• GrenadierGrenadier Member Posts: 91
    Originally posted by bmdevine

That's one thing that concerns me about this type of combat.  People can always say it takes more skill, and whether it does or not, I don't really care - having to constantly click mouse buttons in combat is bound to cause this sort of injury, even in people who don't already have it.  It's one thing to have it in a short little game that takes a few minutes, but in something that's designed for people to play hours on end day after day for months to years, the dynamic is bound to be a boon to doctors and physical therapists.

I guess it's more of a concern in DF than TCoS, because I believe in TCoS you can use the number keys to access the skills, but if you don't know the trick to setting the reticule mode, you still have to hold the mouse button down while aiming, correct?

Believe it or not, the combat system in Spellborn is easier on my wrists than any other MMOG I have played. You can use the mouse wheel to select abilities eliminating the need to press number keys. You can also hold the left mouse button and it will automatically start the next action on the tumbler when its ready. You don't even need to hold the right mouse button down when aiming because you can press the toggle for mouselook mode ('R' I think). 90% of the game can be played in mouselook mode. Combined with the auto-run toggle, there is very little button mashing in the game.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

"Why is this game not on the popular game forums?"

Because it's not popular.

• zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558

because it sucks and is run by idiots

inb4 omgtroll

inb4 QQ

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by Dibdabs

"Why is this game not on the popular game forums?"
    Because it's not popular.

It's not popular because it is a bad game in itself, but because it's getting "published" by idiots who don't care to make it any popular.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

Much less popular than Wizard 101, which actually has a pretty big subscription base, albeit mostly youngsters.  This game is actually close to the bottom of the barrel in terms of popularity I would say.

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791

Originally posted by LynxJSA

You need a Logitech trackball.  I have the same problem with a mouse.  The trackball (Trackman Wheel) is faster too. 

• AganazerAganazer Member Posts: 1,319
    Originally posted by avalon1000

You need a Logitech trackball.  I have the same problem with a mouse.  The trackball (Trackman Wheel) is faster too. 

Does a trackball work well for mouselook games like this? I never tried using them for gaming.

• langeweilelangeweile Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by Aganazer

Originally posted by avalon1000

Does a trackball work well for mouselook games like this? I never tried using them for gaming.

If you call winning the European Team Fortess Classic league "back then" competative enough... then yeah, I think Trackballs do work fine. ;-)