Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The one real problem I have with eve

2»

Comments

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700
    Originally posted by Brain-dead

I find it funny that you've only done PVE which in eve's case is probably the worst PVE in any game made.
    I totally disagree. The PvP element spills over into PvE, because the environment itself of PvP...you have no choice but to put yourself at risk any time you do a mission. Players can shoot at you anywhere. Scamming and extortion are legal and expected. And that risk (both combat and economic) is what makes this game appealing to me...and PvE is 95% of what i have been doing in the game for years.
    The game isnt a collective amusement park like everquest was...other people affect your gameplay directly, in ways other than mere kill-stealing.

Whatever stabs are?
    Warp core stabalizers...things that prevent player pirates from nailing you down so you cant warp away when they attack you.

Do people us TS or voice comms in this game
    A lot of people do. But a lot dont.

And I rest my case... EVE is a Fantasy Game not a Epic Future Space "Country" Wargame. You build you avatar for personal gain not gain of your faction.
    They are not mutually exclusive in this game. Nullsec is dominated by player corperations at war over territory. The territory holds resources that they need to improve themselves and their members.

Try to read up on the game a little more, territorial warfare and conquest is a big part of Eve online.
    Yep...a HUGE part. In fact, I would go so far as to say that Empire Space is basically just for casual gamers or training wheels to prepare you for nullsec. Nullsec is where the real core of Eve takes place IMO.
    And I say that as a casual solo pilot. I spend all my time in Empire space and I have fun, but I dont delude myself into believing that Empire is where the real game takes place.

1) EVE isn't a typical MMORPG.  Your play directly and indirectly impacts other players in a VAST number of ways.  Whether it be PVE, Market manipulation, PVP or any number of other things you choose to do.  While the missions/ratting in EVE isn't particularly awe inspiring it serves it's purpose well.  And there are far more ways to "PVE" in EVE than in any other game on the market.  You just need to use your immagination and do more than just run missions.

2) Stabs don't help if the party in question is using a heavy interdictor (HIC) because they don't really care about stabs ;)

3) Anyone serious about the game uses voice comms.  Either the built-in ones in game or TS or Ventrillo.

4) Never 'rest your case' when you don't know what you're talking about.  Player alliances have built huge territories which they have absolute, or near absolute, control over.  In fact many player alliances control so much space that they 'rent out' their space to other, smaller, alliances.   Huge wars are fought between player alliances in order to control territory & resources in the game.  And not just in 0.0 either.  Major conflicts have been fought over resources in lowsec as well as 0.0 space.

5) Actually Empire Space isn't just for casual players or even just a training ground.  Empire space is where the vast majority of commerce occurs.  It's where over 90% of players make their isk which is then used, usually, to fund further PVP endevours.  Even "hard core" PVP'ers usually either run missions themselves or run them on alts... or have trade alts... or manufacturing alts.... or mining alts... or a combination of the above.  Empire is the pulsing heart of EVE where isk is made and spent.  0.0 is the conflict side of EVE and lowsec is the dirty underside of EVE.  Thinking that any one area is more important than any other is a mistake.  They are all inter-related and all necessary.  Even the most hardened PVP'er will admit, when pressed, that empire serves it's purpose and without it EVE wouldn't work.  Even the most carebear of carebears will admit, when they think about it, that without PVP the economy would be crap and they'd go out of business/be bored.  

EVE is more than the sum of it's parts.  Trying to break it down into components is a mistake because it's the product of the whole which makes EVE so special.  Not the individual pieces of the puzzle.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• Brain-deadBrain-dead Member Posts: 256

The vast majority of EVE players dont go into nullsec FYI.

And you determined that...how?

While I spend most of my time in Highsec, yeah, I have gone into nullsec before, more than once. I doubt I'm the only one, or that I am even in the minority. IMO, Highsec is not where the "real" Eve takes place, even though thats where most of the players hang out. Thats all I was sayin.

4) Never 'rest your case' when you don't know what you're talking about. 

I never rested my case. The guy I was quoting rested his case.

2) Stabs don't help if the party in question is using a heavy interdictor (HIC) because they don't really care about stabs ;)

True, but thats really an exception to the rule. HIC setups are expensive. It isnt something low level pirates are going to be using, and I personally have never been caught by one. All the times I have been caught by pirates, they were using conventional scramblers.

Maybe I was just lucky, I dont know. But stabs have helped me in the past.

5) Actually Empire Space isn't just for casual players or even just a training ground. Empire space is where the vast majority of commerce occurs.

Yeah, but IMO commerce is not the reason most people play Eve.

They are all inter-related and all necessary.

Never said they were not necessary, but I dont think they are what really makes Eve unique. They are a means to an end. Nullsec territory is the end IMO, and what makes Eve different from other MMOs.

5) Actually Empire Space isn't just for casual players or even just a training ground. Empire space is where the vast majority of commerce occurs.
    Yeah, but IMO commerce is not the reason most people play Eve.

Actually it's the ENTIRE reason people play EVE. 

Why do alliances want to hold space?

Answer: To control more resources so that they can make more isk (Commerce)

Why do alliances fight over R64 moons?

Answer:  T2 component manufacture (Commerce)

Why do miners want to live in 0.0 alliances?

Answer:  Better access to high end minerals (Commerce)

Why do explorers want to be in 0.0 space?

Answer:  Better plexes *thus better drops* that they can sell on the market (Commerce)

In EVE you cannot separate commerce from the rest of the game.  Everything centers around 2 things:  PVP and Commerce.  You cannot have one without the other in EVE.  Even the market itself is a form of PVP (which any market buff who has been 0.01 isk'd will tell you).

As to hics used by pirates:  They didn't used to be common but they have become more and more so as time has gone by.  As a matter of fact MOST lowsec pirates use them because 'conventional' tacklers (inties/afs etc) can't hold a point on the gate without getting vaporized.  Whereas a properly fitted hic can both instalock anything bigger than a frigate AND stick around pretty much indefinitely while tanking both the target and the sentry guns.   Stabs are only marginally useful... to be frank you're better off fitting nanofibers and inertial stabilizers than fitting a bunch of Warp Core Stabilizers on a ship because if you can align faster than they can tackle you don't have to risk being stopped at all.  Even with 7 stabs in your lows a hic will still tackle you.... but if you can align before he can lock you.... well then... you get away scott free. 

TBH in highsec or lowsec there's no reason at all to fit stabs.  Fit a MWD, a Cloak and fit for fast align time.  You will never get caught if you know what you're doing.  In 0.0 there's no reason to fit stabs because you're not gonna get tackled, you're gonna get bubbled, so you may as well fit to fight, or to outrun the opposition. 

• EnkinduEnkindu Member Posts: 1,098

Taram I was only suggesting stabs to the guy as something cheap and easy to *marginally* improve his survivability if he were to take my advice and head out to syndicate.

On an entirely different note the only reason I really want to fly T3 is that subsystem that gives non-targeted interdiction immunity ; )

deviliscious: (PS. I have been told that when I use scientific language, it does not make me sound more intelligent, it only makes me sound like a jackass. It makes me appear that I am not knowledgable enough in the subject I am discussing to be able to translate it for people outside the field to understand. Some advice you might consider as well)

• Brain-deadBrain-dead Member Posts: 256

Actually it's the ENTIRE reason people play EVE. Why do alliances want to hold space?

So they can make spreadsheets or mine all day. Uh huh.

Commerce is a means to an end.

In EVE you cannot separate commerce from the rest of the game.

When did I imply otherwise? I just said it isnt what makes Eve special IMO, and its not the main thing that makes Eve appealing.

Stabs are only marginally useful... to be frank you're better off fitting nanofibers and inertial stabilizers than fitting a bunch of Warp Core Stabilizers on a ship because if you can align faster than they can tackle you don't have to risk being stopped at all.

Actually, I dont use either anymore...I use cloaks now. They have worked much better for me. And cloaks are pretty easy to train for and equip.

If you see my original post, I never recommended stabs anyway. I just explained what they are becuase he asked.

Stabs are only marginally useful... to be frank you're better off fitting nanofibers and inertial stabilizers than fitting a bunch of Warp Core Stabilizers on a ship because if you can align faster than they can tackle you don't have to risk being stopped at all.
    Actually, I dont use either anymore...I use cloaks now. They have worked much better for me. And cloaks are pretty easy to train for and equip.
    If you see my original post, I never recommended stabs anyway. I just explained what they are becuase he asked.

I agree, you must not have read this part of my post:

TBH in highsec or lowsec there's no reason at all to fit stabs. Fit a MWD, a Cloak and fit for fast align time. You will never get caught if you know what you're doing. In 0.0 there's no reason to fit stabs because you're not gonna get tackled, you're gonna get bubbled, so you may as well fit to fight, or to outrun the opposition.

• EnkinduEnkindu Member Posts: 1,098
    Originally posted by Taram

I agree, you must not have read this part of my post:

TBH in highsec or lowsec there's no reason at all to fit stabs. Fit a MWD, a Cloak and fit for fast align time. You will never get caught if you know what you're doing. In 0.0 there's no reason to fit stabs because you're not gonna get tackled, you're gonna get bubbled, so you may as well fit to fight, or to outrun the opposition.

Taram, actually as someone operating solo frequently in 0.0 I've had my ship saved by stabs literally hundereds of times.  Won't save you from a gatecamp, but frequently WILL save you from a small gang.

deviliscious: (PS. I have been told that when I use scientific language, it does not make me sound more intelligent, it only makes me sound like a jackass. It makes me appear that I am not knowledgable enough in the subject I am discussing to be able to translate it for people outside the field to understand. Some advice you might consider as well)

• PatchDayPatchDay Member Posts: 1,641

I agree with Taram i never fit stabs. I run nanos. I don't wanna be dickin' around with a red while he whistles on TS for his boys to join the gang bang.

Where i live I see reds all the time and nanos (+max agility skills ofc) help me get the hell out before they can think bout getting a lock

only gate camp I have died at this past yr was only because i somewhat intentionally flew into it. short story is we were camping a gate. I was in my nano'ed Ares. We see multiple targets jump in pvp ships. I insta'warped out but some of my buds got caught. so only reason I got scramed/bubbled and lost my ares cause i tried to come back and help my bros.

[oh the nice part is that majority of my gang warped away while im mid-warp. so I wapred alone into a bubble made by a HIC/DIC and get like insta-pwned]

Originally posted by Taram

For clarity I'm assuming you recommending what I plan to do im my domi. When I jump through a gate if I see a red I will activate my cloak, align to my destination, uncloak, then warpout. Gives my slow domi instawarp. Havent actually ran into reds yet in my domi though just been lucky and praying. But if worst come to worst this my plan

I've also been told I can just logout if i havent been aggressed yet and if I have the tank, the BS should be ok. But I'd rather not resort to logging out i hate it when I see hostiles do this myself heh

--------------------

The main primary benefit of a cloak in 0.0 is for safespots. This way if you in an exploraiton site and reds jump in you should be able to instawarp to your safespot (assuming you alwats remain aligned to ss). Saved my bacon over and over last night. some punks kept coming my system hoping for an easy kill

Back to main topic: Yeah I believe I have the same problem if I've read the OP correctly. The game can be so fun and addictive it just eats up too much time. At least now I know how to probe properly so only took a lil while to probe down a site last night

still it can take so much time getitng all ships to where you want them (relocate them), shop at trade hubs, gang up, and do fleet ops I sometimes try to force myself to take breaks and catch up on fresh air

If I spent all the time I do in EVE at a gym instead I'd be like so buff :)

• JowenJowen Member Posts: 326

In the 6 years I have been playing EVE I have gone from being a bachelor student to finalizing a ph.d.

I find EVE as a nice hobby and I enjoy resting my brain after a day of work by playing some hours in the evening.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

Right now I am trying to figure out how to balance EVE with LoTRO and real life. This game can damn sure suck you in. I also have a love hate relationship with the complexity.

I miss DAoC