Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server Population

Ive noticed that all server pops on each server says "LOW" all the time , wouldnt it be better to just make a global server , just have 1 at least then u might get to see it at "MED" , its a shame really its a great game.

Comments

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154
    Originally posted by xersent

Ive noticed that all server pops on each server says "LOW" all the time , wouldnt it be better to just make a global server , just have 1 at least then u might get to see it at "MED" , its a shame really its a great game.

Would be nice. But That would likely require new servers to maintain the current lvl of playability.. and SOE aint spending nothing on the game... TBH im suprised the team is as large as it is for what soe considers a dead game :(

ahh well maby theres hope

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• NullailNullail Member UncommonPosts: 68

I see them as Medium pop many times, just depends when you enter the game.

Hunter Nullail Destruction - 85 Ranger. Bristlebane (Solusek Ro) - EQ
    Knight-Captain Nullail - 60 Hunter. C'Thun - Pre TBC - WoW
    Nullail - 80 BE Hunter.Kor'Gall - WoW
    Hunter Nullail - 55 Ranger. Telon - VG
    Nullail Destruction - Archer/Bard - Cerberus. FFXIV

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I honestly don't see the need for server merges right now... Tbh, I don't even look at the server pops,  I just log in, and I havent had any issues as of yet.

All I know is that my guild is active and chatty, people are always advertising for groups in ooc (which seem to be picked up pretty quickly), and I see people all the time as I go about my bussiness.

Sure, you don't see 100 people on top of each other killing rats in a field, but is that a bad thing?

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553

They are all medium pop during play times.  Except Sartok the PvP server. 

A merge would be a disaster, the high level areas are already crowded as is.

• XeonsoldierXeonsoldier Member Posts: 190

They flux from Low to Med throughout the day. They will be close to medium most of the time for now making new content was just released. From what I noticed since i'm EST. From 12 am - 12pm, the pop will be LOW 9 times out of 10. From 1pm - 5pm it will be LOW also. From 6pm - 11pm it will be MED. So I'm sure from that you can tell when majority of players play hehe. This is mainly based off of Seradon but can be applied to Xeth.

• HoobleyHoobley Member Posts: 421

As many other people have pointed out, two of the largest problems that would occur with merging servers now would be Name conflicts and how the heck would you deal with housing plots?

• XeonsoldierXeonsoldier Member Posts: 190

Naming conflicts is a very small concern when considering server merges. With Vanguard the more important issues such as housing plots (most are full up as it is), server load with current populations,  and small amount of content areas (overcrowding). Now don't get me wrong, it would be great to make the world feel much more alive by seeing players 24/7 EVERYWHERE. But the complications it may cause and the current community going up in flames over it may not be worth it, know what I mean?

Originally posted by Joppari

As many other people have pointed out, two of the largest problems that would occur with merging servers now would be Name conflicts and how the heck would you deal with housing plots?

Since the veteran population is level 50+ the biggest problem would be over-crowding.  I joined a an experience group after our raid on Friday night and we could barely find a Bridge of Destiny elemental mob alive anywhere, all the temples were taken and finally ended up in Shores of Darkness where we had to spend quite a long time finding an area that was taken already.

For the mid-levels where the population spreads out, I'm sure it would be nice as you  may only find 150-200 people in the entire level 30 to 49 range.  But that is only temporary until those folks level into 50+

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

As others have posted already, every time I log in, all servers but Sartok show 'medium'.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• daeathdaeath Member Posts: 8

In the social window, if you look for clerics level 1-55, is that ALL of them or is it restricted to your continent? I'm taking some numbers & putting them into excel for the times that I'd be playing here in Hawaii while its free. Last night around 7:15 pm my time there were less than 500 people online total if that shows all players.

UO: 2.5 yrs
    EQ: 1 yr
    WoW: > 1 yr
    Eve: 6 months (currently playing)
    Others/betas: 8 months
    ---
    AMD Phenom II X4 940
    Superclocked GTX 260 (216)
    4GB 1006 DDR2
    22" LCD

Originally posted by daeath

In the social window, if you look for clerics level 1-55, is that ALL of them or is it restricted to your continent? I'm taking some numbers & putting them into excel for the times that I'd be playing here in Hawaii while its free. Last night around 7:15 pm my time there were less than 500 people online total if that shows all players.

I believe the only way to get a good count is to use the /who all count command.  If you do this on a regular basis, you can make some hotkeys up to speed up the process.  The max number of people that can be returned in a count is 200, so you need to break it up.

/who all count 1 10       That'll give you everyone in the level range from 1 to 10.  Usually a 150 or so folks.

/who all count 11 30     Same deal, but now it usually says results capped at 200.  So you'd need to break that down.

/who all count 31 49    This where the dip in the population is.  Maybe 100 total in this range at any given time.

Since there are so many players at level 50, you have to do...

/who all count cleric 50    That will return all the level 50 clerics.

I didn't change my macros and was wondering why my counts where only in the 700-800s after Pantheon of the Ancients was released with the level cap increase.....  when everything got very lively on the server, but my counts were dropping.  Well, I was missing everyone 51+ with my old hot keys.  Soooo.....

/who all count 50     Will still cap at 200, so I'll probably change to something like....

/who all count cleric 50 55

The whole count thing takes a little time, but I think it's pretty accurate.  Seradon runs around 1000 or so during peak times right now.  Pretty good considering summer is here and play times are much more infrequent for folks when the weather is nice.

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888
    Originally posted by boojiboy

Originally posted by daeath

I believe the only way to get a good count is to use the /who all count command.  If you do this on a regular basis, you can make some hotkeys up to speed up the process.  The max number of people that can be returned in a count is 200, so you need to break it up.

/who all count 1 10       That'll give you everyone in the level range from 1 to 10.  Usually a 150 or so folks.

/who all count 11 30     Same deal, but now it usually says results capped at 200.  So you'd need to break that down.

/who all count 31 49    This where the dip in the population is.  Maybe 100 total in this range at any given time.

Since there are so many players at level 50, you have to do...

/who all count cleric 50    That will return all the level 50 clerics.

I didn't change my macros and was wondering why my counts where only in the 700-800s after Pantheon of the Ancients was released with the level cap increase.....  when everything got very lively on the server, but my counts were dropping.  Well, I was missing everyone 51+ with my old hot keys.  Soooo.....

/who all count 50     Will still cap at 200, so I'll probably change to something like....

/who all count cleric 50 55

The whole count thing takes a little time, but I think it's pretty accurate.  Seradon runs around 1000 or so during peak times right now.  Pretty good considering summer is here and play times are much more infrequent for folks when the weather is nice.

do you know if /who includes roleplaying and anonymous people?  I had that issue with counts in the past using the who command.

---
    Ethion

• KvaserKvaser Member Posts: 84

Well I went back to the game for 1 month a while ago just to check it out since I left the game a couple of month after the release. And the game was great, what made me cancel it again was the server population, atleast on the EU servers it's terrible. Since I made a new char I had big trouble finding people to group up with. And even harder getting a full group and almost impossible a well balanced one.

Shame maybe I would have taken it up again. Yes I could have tried to find a guild but then it would have been other players alts I would have been grouping up with since big part of the people playing were level 50. And there is nothing more depressing then a starting area that's totally empty.

Originally posted by ethion

do you know if /who includes roleplaying and anonymous people?  I had that issue with counts in the past using the who command.

I've wondered the same thing myself.  At times I've been convinced the /who count command includes Anon folks and at other times I've been convinced is does not include Anon folks.

I've tried to test it by turning on  my own anon on and off and see no difference in a /who count for the zone I'm in.  But other times, I've physically counted more people in a zone than the /who count has returned.  For example, in Pantheon I did a /who count and got 43.  Since it seemed like there were more people there than 43, I ran around and counted as best I could and came up with 71.  So I'm leaning toward the /who all count not including Anon folks at the moment.

• HoobleyHoobley Member Posts: 421
    Originally posted by Kvaser

Well I went back to the game for 1 month a while ago just to check it out since I left the game a couple of month after the release. And the game was great, what made me cancel it again was the server population, atleast on the EU servers it's terrible. Since I made a new char I had big trouble finding people to group up with. And even harder getting a full group and almost impossible a well balanced one.
    Shame maybe I would have taken it up again. Yes I could have tried to find a guild but then it would have been other players alts I would have been grouping up with since big part of the people playing were level 50. And there is nothing more depressing then a starting area that's totally empty.

I'm sorry to hear that. On Seradon I get tells quite regularly asking me if I'd like to do this or that - I'm usually not very fussy and will answer 'ok sure!' and the groups I join this way are either full or almost full.

This has happened through levels 14-26. I just go about my business and groups just seem to happen to me without even looking, I could be very lucky or have appealing names, I don't know lol