Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone out there running Windows 7?

Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

I'd like to know how Windows 7 (RC) is running or not running as the case may be. I'm about to build my new system at the end of this month and was looking for an OS. Since I have XP 32bit and I'll want to run a 64bit OS I thought I'd get Vista, however after learning I could get Win 7 for free thought "What the hell?".

I'd like to hear from others who're running it now, since I'd like to save £75-£100 buying Vista but only if Win 7 is stable enough. So what do you guys have to say about it?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

Comments

• nakumanakuma Member UncommonPosts: 1,310

im using it now. its pretty solid, though it has its issues. this is given that there is only partial support right now for windows 7 and its just mainly for optimizing, and getting the kinks out of the OS. but overall i love it. its definitely a bit more responsive than Vista 64. id say go for it, but realize its gonna have its growing pains from time to time in regards to drivers, and applications, and of course games. but i think there is a wide enough consenus that Microsoft did a good job with Win 7.

3.4ghz Phenom II X4 965, 8GB PC12800 DDR3 GSKILL, EVGA 560GTX 2GB OC, 640GB HD SATA II, BFG 1000WATT PSU. MSI NF980-G65 TRI-SLI MOBO.

• KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829

yeah im loving my windows 7 installation atm....just had one issue with a game crashing,  but it crashed more often in vista 64 so i guess it's just the coding.  Guess that's what betas are for *shrug*   other then that little issue,  i find the OS to be pretty solid, and the user experience is a welcome change when switching between different windows :)

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

Iv'e used Windows 7 for a few weeks after the beta was announced and have been using it now since a few days after the RC was able to be downloaded. So maybe 3½-4w.

I don't see so much performance difference from Vista. I run those games that I play at similar fps, windowed mode maybe should be noted. If there would be any difference fullscreen I would not know.

About drivers. There is some Windows 7 beta drivers availbe, concerning me it is Creative and ATI. For other things like my wireless network device the drivers made for Vista installed fine. When I have had problems with programs I have either choosed to run the compabilty tester and or explicity choosed to run as administrator as the example wireless drivers.

Well windows is windows and is merely the OS. I don't go further than that. I keep it simple and it is the actual software, games, that I worry about. If I am still allowed to keep it simple, it's the correspondant version of Win98 2nd ed. with some flashy stuff added. Ofcourse this time it from Vista... but Vista have been running really nice for me and gave me fps boost in games (still windowed mode) compared to XP32.

I would wait if I was you instead of getting Vista now.

As for me I have yet to see an incentative for me to go 'wow', and sometimes I wonder what the fuzz is on about. But I like how the have set up the explorer and things added to the UI/desktop.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Well I need a 64bit OS and Microsoft are dropping support for XP, so XP and anything earlier is out of the question. This leaves Vista or Win 7 (RC), Vista will cost £85 for an OEM version, Win 7 (RC) will cost zilch. I'm downloading Win 7 (RC) right now since it's free and has had very good reviews, also I see myself buying it so why spend money on Vista now?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786

Windows 7 is the best version of Windows since 3.1..... Now, that's not saying very much, and I still believe it's bloated and slows down my system, but it's much better than XP and Vista.

I'm running it on my macbook and my gaming PC without any problems.  It runs stable, boots a little faster than vista, and driver support is already rather impressive.

• zantaxzantax Member Posts: 254

Well some people believe that windows 7 is the best thing since windows 3.11, and to them it might be.  For myself I feel it is a proper stepping stone from Vista.  I was one of the few people that never had any issues with Vista x64 ultimate from release day till I got my Intel i7 920.  When I put together my new i7 I had what seemed to be slowness issues, just didn't seem as snappy as my Q6600.  I thought it was because one of my raid drives blew up but after a fresh install with no raid it still seemed kinda sluggish.  Games like LOTRO, Crysis, EVE...etc just didn't seem like the smooth glass like play I was used to, not to mention just doing things in the OS seemed sluggish, long pauses, programs not starting quickly.  I upgraded to Windows 7 and the OS problems went away, no longer sluggish, no long pauses, programs start snappy, windows open and close quickly.  As for my games I have an Nvidia 8800GTS 512MB card and they run almost perfectly now, I do see some stutters but I am attributing that to no raid now and the drivers may not be perfect in Windows 7 for my card.

Over all I would have to say that Windows 7 is a great OS, if I had a choice between Vista and Windows 7 I would take Windows 7,  Security seems less clunky, interface was upgraded again, but over all in 2 weeks with it I find it snappier then Vista ever was.  Also haven't had a problem with ANY games I have tried on it or Apps as of yet, BUT I also don't use to many programs over 2 years old.

• docminusdocminus Member Posts: 717

So after reading here, I downloaded windows 7 and have to say it is pretty solid. maybe it is the release candidate I have, or my older rig, but I don't have a real performance boost. Warhammer gives me less frames per sec. But everything works, can't complain.

File copying though seems for me atm slower than under Vista 64. Again, could be the RC (one of the latest, can't recall number, am under Vista atm) or my rig (P920 D, 4Gig, 8800 GTS 640MB).

In conclusion - if you don't have Vista and want to upgrade, go for it, it is free. If you already have Vista 64, go and test it anyway.

imageimage

Well I got my ISO disc done, but am waiting for the delivery of my DVD so I can complete my new rig then install Windows 7. I'm still a bit confused as to wether I need Sata drivers on a USB stick for use during installation or not, am still trawling the win 7 forums to find out. I'll let you guys know if/when it's up and running.

Ahhh the DVD just got delivered as I was typing this, YAY!

CS Lewis

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

I was having problems with DX10 games on a 8800GTS system under Windows 7 but nvidia finally updated their beta drivers for it that fixed a dx10 shadow bug they had already fixed back in Jan or so in their normal drivers and got it a bit more stable. Their dx10 support in win7 still is a little problematic. Overall though I think it's good enough to use especially at free, though I haven't tried it on my 4870 yet but I plan on it soon as I determine a hard drive solution :)

I'm running Windows 7 on my new rig and I must say it's the best OS I've ever used, it's running very smooth. The problems I've had so far are getting the software provided with the Motherboard to install, since very few Motherboards even recognize the OS it's a universal problem to be expected I suppose. Asus will be updating with beta drivers for Windows 7 soon, however the OS still runs. Also Norton has trouble with Win 7 however they have released a free trial anti virus that is compatable.

Right now I'm running Win 7 7100 (64 bit), my comp is Phenom II X3 720 (BE), Mobo M4A78T-E, 4 gigs of DDR3. No GPU yet except for the IGP (ATI 3300), I'll be getting one next month. I'd reccomend anyone building a new system to give it a go, if you want to save money on buying an OS until next year get Win 7 for free.

CS Lewis

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

I'd recommend waiting till retail sometime next year and dual booting with XP or Vista. It will be a more solid OS then, and will be what Vista should of been.

Also want to add that it is free for now under the RC version, but once it goes retail it will no longer be free. ANd it will most likely cost more than what Vista is costing now. RC is not the retail version which is the version you will have to pay for if you want updates when it comes out.

• viralzviralz Member Posts: 78

i use server 2008 enterprize edition. it kicks ass.

• AznmaskAznmask Member Posts: 178
    Originally posted by madeux

Windows 7 is the best version of Windows since 3.1..... Now, that's not saying very much, and I still believe it's bloated and slows down my system, but it's much better than XP and Vista.
    I'm running it on my macbook and my gaming PC without any problems.  It runs stable, boots a little faster than vista, and driver support is already rather impressive.

I think XP is the best version of Windows since the 3.1. How can you say WIndows 7 is the best when the final version not even release?

BTW i dual boot Win7/ Vista,

• iNeokiiNeoki Member UncommonPosts: 353

I'm currently using Vista ultimate 64 bit on my secondary gaming machine and Windows 7 7000build on my main rig, and it has it's ups and downs, although it IS still in beta.  Majority of my games run faster however my video card does seem to get "heat spikes".  The OS puts a heavy load on different hardware components it seems, but overall I love it.  I'm not a fan of XP anymore and I tried the 32bit/64bit versions of it, if not Windows 7 I recommend Vista Ultimate 64bit (The stable good running version from what I've used).  Some problems you WILL run into in windows 7 is that even some new apps like Warhammer and various new games coming out that lack support from the Company end of things will tough to work around bugs but if you use google to your advantage you can get around them quick.  I can't wait for the offical release, I have a feeling it's going to be the best OS yet once it launches.

TwitchTV: iNeoki

• skydragonrenskydragonren Member Posts: 667

Hi! I'm skydragonren and I'm a PC.

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053
    Originally posted by Aznmask

Originally posted by madeux

I think XP is the best version of Windows since the 3.1. How can you say WIndows 7 is the best when the final version not even release?

BTW i dual boot Win7/ Vista,

My friend, because many of us have been using Windows7(RC) for many, many months. Anyoe can download and install Windows7, as Microoft is allowing people to use it for FREE for the next 13 months (March 1st,  2010). Details can be found HERE.

As another member has suggested, Win7 is the best Windows OS and he is correct. WindowsXP is just outdated now and doesn't make use of some of the latest hardware or technologies.

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448

The people still holding on to XP make me laugh. Morons...

• korat102korat102 Member Posts: 313
    Originally posted by ironhelix

The people still holding on to XP make me laugh. Morons...

Just waiting for you lot to get rid of the bugs...

• TerminatrTerminatr Member Posts: 114

ive been using 64bit 7 since they released the rc version... its absolutely amazing and i have yet to have one compatibilty issue. ive installed plenty of games so far with no problems. windows performance is much better than vista, as far as game performance i havent noticed much of a difference.

• fuzzi1983fuzzi1983 Member UncommonPosts: 142
    Originally posted by Terminatr

ive been using 64bit 7 since they released the rc version... its absolutely amazing and i have yet to have one compatibilty issue. ive installed plenty of games so far with no problems. windows performance is much better than vista, as far as game performance i havent noticed much of a difference.

Try it with dx10 and games :P