Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cryptic Confirms Ship Interiors To Be Added In Free Update!!!

2»

Comments

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by GrumpyMel2

Originally posted by ktanner3

Originally posted by Elikal

Originally posted by Abrahmm

Ok, I'm a bit confused. I've never been a trekkie, so I may be wrong here. The few times that I actually watched Star Trek, it appeared that almost everything was about the crew of the ship, and there life inside that ship. If I just happen to catch a few similar scenes then I may be wrong, but if this was how the majority of the series was, how can you make a Star Trek game without ship interiors? That seems like it was what the majority of Star Trek was.

Exactly the point. I mean, STO may be a good MMO, but it sounds like another EVE. So why do we need a 2nd EVE, when the real EVE is good enough? Why another mere space shooter? Adding interiors as mere "housing" isnt what ppl asked for, but a concept where not everyone is captain. A mere space pew-pew game is hard something you need the Star Trek fanchise for. As you say, the biggest part of Trek is ship internal interaction not space combat.

Unless EVE has recently .......

-added customized Avatars

-added interiors

-added ground combat

-changed space combat to be more tactical and strategic where fights aren't won in 10 seconds

-added PVE missions

-ended permadeath of your ship

.....then your comparison with EVE makes no sense.

C'mon now, be fair to the guy. He posted exactly the aspect of STO he considered to be similar to EVE.... and he is correct about that aspect. In space both STO and EVE have you play the game from the perspective of your ship.... rather then an individual ABOARD your ship manning a console/station that controls some of the ship's functions.

Both STO and EVE chose to handle that aspect in the same fashion. In that regards (and it is clearly an important regard to some of us) they are similar. There are alot of other aspects, as you have pointed out, where the games are very different... but that was the aspect the poster was clearly refering.

STO could have chosen to go the station/mini-game (ala StarQuest) route rather then the player=ship route for space-flight. I know some of you guys would have regarded that decision as a disaster but it clearly is an approach that a game can try to go with. Cryptic chose not to go that route, you guys are happy...others of us are not. End of story.

If he doesn't want to play the game because of that then fine. I don't care. But saying that the game is another EVE along with the other charges is disengenious. That's like saying that STO is another World of Warcraft because it only has two factions and designated PVP spots. It's a silly statement because it's taking one or two features and painting with a broad brush.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• techdogtechdog Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by warrior41

Craig at a recent chat: 
    At launch, ship interiors will be for boarding party instances only. However, there will be space station/satellite interiors where players
    After launch, ship interiors will be fleshed out for exploration and functionality
    We considered making a generic explorable interior or each faction(meaning all fed ships would have the same interior and the same for

Klingons), but decided to wait until we had time to do it right
    To answer your 2 questions Kinneas, as in the shows, your “residence” will be your ship. And unfortunately, there will never be “fully

simulated” interiors,
    : That is to say, we will never to able to create interiors that have every single room that a starship should, and with systems that you can
    However, Once explorable interiors are added, there will be every MAIN area you would expect, and a reason to go there
    It wont be a fully functional SIM, no. You wont be able to go to every console and play around with every single system. However, all them

main functions of the starship will be controllable
    Interiors will definitely be a free update. Things like new factions will be expansions

All of you guys know that this chat was a hoax, craig recently announced how sad he was that people were impersonating him on a fan iirc chat channel

I bet Batman would have some kind of awesome Bat-taunt that could let him hold aggro. - Atamasama
    Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
    Final Fantasy 7

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Ok, I'm a bit confused. I've never been a trekkie, so I may be wrong here. The few times that I actually watched Star Trek, it appeared that almost everything was about the crew of the ship, and there life inside that ship. If I just happen to catch a few similar scenes then I may be wrong, but if this was how the majority of the series was, how can you make a Star Trek game without ship interiors? That seems like it was what the majority of Star Trek was.

Exactly the point. I mean, STO may be a good MMO, but it sounds like another EVE. So why do we need a 2nd EVE, when the real EVE is good enough? Why another mere space shooter? Adding interiors as mere "housing" isnt what ppl asked for, but a concept where not everyone is captain. A mere space pew-pew game is hard something you need the Star Trek fanchise for. As you say, the biggest part of Trek is ship internal interaction not space combat.

-added interiors

-added ground combat

-changed space combat to be more tactical and strategic where fights aren't won in 10 seconds

-added PVE missions

C'mon now, be fair to the guy. He posted exactly the aspect of STO he considered to be similar to EVE.... and he is correct about that aspect. In space both STO and EVE have you play the game from the perspective of your ship.... rather then an individual ABOARD your ship manning a console/station that controls some of the ship's functions.

Both STO and EVE chose to handle that aspect in the same fashion. In that regards (and it is clearly an important regard to some of us) they are similar. There are alot of other aspects, as you have pointed out, where the games are very different... but that was the aspect the poster was clearly refering.

STO could have chosen to go the station/mini-game (ala StarQuest) route rather then the player=ship route for space-flight. I know some of you guys would have regarded that decision as a disaster but it clearly is an approach that a game can try to go with. Cryptic chose not to go that route, you guys are happy...others of us are not. End of story.

If he doesn't want to play the game because of that then fine. I don't care. But saying that the game is another EVE along with the other charges is disengenious. That's like saying that STO is another World of Warcraft because it only has two factions and designated PVP spots. It's a silly statement because it's taking one or two features and painting with a broad brush.

I dont think the comparision is so far away. From my view STO will be similar to PotBS. Sure you CAN go to missions, but I guess they will be copied instances with only figleaf variations, similar to the CoH missions. It is more than EVE in that way, but I dont see that as a strong part of the game, so the bigger part WILL be space combat.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• tamgrostamgros Member Posts: 88

-added interiors

-added ground combat

-added PVE missions

I dont think the comparision is so far away. From my view STO will be similar to PotBS. Sure you CAN go to missions, but I guess they will be copied instances with only figleaf variations, similar to the CoH missions. It is more than EVE in that way, but I dont see that as a strong part of the game, so the bigger part WILL be space combat.

I don't know if it's that you just haven't been paying attention to the actual info that we are getting about the game, or you have some preconcieved notions that you can't get over.  One of their main selling points are their 'episodic missions'  these missions are supposed to feel like an episode of a show.  They have huge story arcs that will be the main game content.  The procedural generation content you are complaining about is for exploration.  This will be done randomly produced in such a way that you can go exploring for unlimited time.   

This is also why it makes sense to have the user be in control of the whole ship.  That way they can experience the whole episodic mission,and not just from one officer's perspective, just like the shows.  In the shows the engineer, tactial, captain, etc etc characters were there to give you, the viewer, the whole perspective.  STO looks to be doing the same, bravo Cryptic.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by tamgros

I don't know if it's that you just haven't been paying attention to the actual info that we are getting about the game, or you have some preconcieved notions that you can't get over.  One of their main selling points are their 'episodic missions'  these missions are supposed to feel like an episode of a show.  They have huge story arcs that will be the main game content.  The procedural generation content you are complaining about is for exploration.  This will be done randomly produced in such a way that you can go exploring for unlimited time.   

This is also why it makes sense to have the user be in control of the whole ship.  That way they can experience the whole episodic mission,and not just from one officer's perspective, just like the shows.  In the shows the engineer, tactial, captain, etc etc characters were there to give you, the viewer, the whole perspective.  STO looks to be doing the same, bravo Cryptic.

I think it's pretty strange that this game has been compared to World of Warcraft,Eve and Pirates of the Burning Sea, three games that are absolutely nothing alike.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    Originally posted by Teala

Doesn't matter they are choosing to launch the game with no real interiors for player ships and that means the game will launch incomplete.    Which is sad.

By that definition, I don't think I've ever seen a MMO launch that wasn't "incomplete."

edit to add: and I hope I never see a MMO launch that IS complete!

• tamgrostamgros Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by Samhael

Doesn't matter they are choosing to launch the game with no real interiors for player ships and that means the game will launch incomplete.    Which is sad.

By that definition, I don't think I've ever seen a MMO launch that wasn't "incomplete."

edit to add: and I hope I never see a MMO launch that IS complete!

QFT. Couldn't have said it better myself!

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776
    Originally posted by VirgoThree

Now I may be completely wrong here because I haven't followed this game as closely as others, but I was under the impression that player ship interiors were never intended for launch. In which case it just sounds like it is going to be apart of their post preduction schedule.

Now if they have been advertising playing ship interiors for launch, then I would see where you are coming from with the incomplete launch bit.

I agree with you here I think as mmo players we have to be able to give our devs some leeway since these games are designed to have add ons I can live with waiting a few months if need be to have ship interiors which really only matters in an rp perspective.And totally agree they never advertised that the game would have explorable interiors so no harm no foul

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

Originally posted by WisebutCruel

Dev 1: We got a bunch of people saying they won't buy the game if we have no ship interiors.
    Dev2: Tell 'em we'll put 'em in later. Hell, tell 'em it'll be in a free update. That'll lure even the hard skeptics. We'll grab a few months of subs before they notice we were lying.
    Dev 1: Brilliant plan!

Hmmm obviously not a consumer of former Cryptic product since you obviously don't know they don't have a practice of lying to people unlike some out here like SOE and Funcom give credit where it's due they have always been deserving of our trust and your statement just holds no water where this company is concerned.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

You my friend are mostly right here but the problem is that we are not playing as in watching an episode we are playing a game from the perspective of the captain who while he may see the interior of his ship often it is not the most important part of what he/she does what is most important are the exploration scenes/shots which in all honesty probably outnumbered ship interiors the difference is you may turn the channel see an alien or two and think nothing of what is on the tube but when you happen to turn and see a ship interior which doesn't change you have a standard image to tie it too.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I agree 100%,these developers need to start implementing their ideas fully and quit giving the people half ass products.

I can go all the way down the line and name things that should have been implemented in games.The biggest example that falls in the same category is EVE.It has literally no exploration at all,so here you have a game that is about visting thousands of solar systems and planets,but you can't actually do anything.Even the ship that the ENTIRE game is designed around,you baby,your project in the works ,is nothing more than a cheap housing with you as a make believe operator.

I know many people complain there is too much Fantasy,but realistically a Space type game needs to go the whole nine yards before they gain any credibility.The ONLY game that put forth lots of content was the now infamous SWG,as far as NON Fantasy games go.

If you are going to use Space stations,then open them up and make them an active part of the game,not some static mesh,nobody cares about.Spaceships ,same thing,they SHOULD have interiors/controls/engine room a working crew.Geesh what better way to make guilds an active part of a MMO game than to allow a full crew onto a ship  giving everyone special duties to  make the ship happen.You could still have small single man pods,but also large say 50 man ships,where your whole guild can get involved.It creates a MORE immersive REALISTIC game,where you have mechanics/cooks/a captain/officers/explorers/security ,the whole nine yards.

This would allow players to hit the forums and say you know what,this game is amazing and full of content,not just some run of the mill cheap adaptation that plays more like a MUd than a 3d interaction game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

It sure is! The same old cycle of  release incomplete MMO's continues!  Ship insides for an IP like Star Trek should shp with the game period!