Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best mid range card

13»

Comments

  • daylight01daylight01 Member Posts: 2,250

     tbh mate,like I said earlier the 8800 card is mid range as is the 9800 card.

    this topic has gotten way out of hand and everyone seems to have an opinion(right or wrong).

    If you really need a card now then I would say go for the 9800,if you are going to spend money on a new PSU as well and maybe go for the full upgrade,then I would say wait a bit and check the 300 series cards,honest the improvement from 8800.9800 and then 9800>250 is almost impossible to see.

    So infact either card will do.

    If you are going to spend good money and your system can take the upgrade then maybe a 300 card is a better option.

    On the other hand if it is just for mmo's then get a 9800 as the 8800 is more expensive and they are in all honesty the same card.

    image

    If someone had came up to me in 1980 when I was on my Atari 2600 and said we will be playing games with thousands of people at the same time.I guess my response would have been,"but I only have 2 joysticks"

    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/235780/page/8

  • CyberWizCyberWiz Member UncommonPosts: 950
    Originally posted by daylight01


     tbh mate,like I said earlier the 8800 card is mid range as is the 9800 card.
    this topic has gotten way out of hand and everyone seems to have an opinion(right or wrong).
    If you really need a card now then I would say go for the 9800,if you are going to spend money on a new PSU as well and maybe go for the full upgrade,then I would say wait a bit and check the 300 series cards,honest the improvement from 8800.9800 and then 9800>250 is almost impossible to see.
    So infact either card will do.
    If you are going to spend good money and your system can take the upgrade then maybe a 300 card is a better option.
    On the other hand if it is just for mmo's then get a 9800 as the 8800 is more expensive and they are in all honesty the same card.



     

    9800GT = 8800GT

    and

    9800GTX+ = GTS 250

    so get the cheapest one, it is not "almost" impossible to see a difference, it is completely impossible to see a difference, as they are exactly the same cards.

     

    If you are interested in subscription or PCU numbers for MMORPG's, check out my site :
    http://mmodata.blogspot.be/
    Favorite MMORPG's : DAoC pre ToA-NF, SWG Pre CU-NGE, EVE Online

  • daylight01daylight01 Member Posts: 2,250
    Originally posted by CyberWiz

    Originally posted by daylight01


     tbh mate,like I said earlier the 8800 card is mid range as is the 9800 card.
    this topic has gotten way out of hand and everyone seems to have an opinion(right or wrong).
    If you really need a card now then I would say go for the 9800,if you are going to spend money on a new PSU as well and maybe go for the full upgrade,then I would say wait a bit and check the 300 series cards,honest the improvement from 8800.9800 and then 9800>250 is almost impossible to see.
    So infact either card will do.
    If you are going to spend good money and your system can take the upgrade then maybe a 300 card is a better option.
    On the other hand if it is just for mmo's then get a 9800 as the 8800 is more expensive and they are in all honesty the same card.



     

    9800GT = 8800GT so get the cheapest one ( impossible to see difference, as they are exactly the same )

    9800GTX+ = GTS 250 so get the cheapest one ( impossible to see difference, as they are exactly the same )

     

    I thought that is what I said :)

    image

    If someone had came up to me in 1980 when I was on my Atari 2600 and said we will be playing games with thousands of people at the same time.I guess my response would have been,"but I only have 2 joysticks"

    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/235780/page/8

  • CyberWizCyberWiz Member UncommonPosts: 950
    Originally posted by daylight01

    Originally posted by CyberWiz

    Originally posted by daylight01


     tbh mate,like I said earlier the 8800 card is mid range as is the 9800 card.
    this topic has gotten way out of hand and everyone seems to have an opinion(right or wrong).
    If you really need a card now then I would say go for the 9800,if you are going to spend money on a new PSU as well and maybe go for the full upgrade,then I would say wait a bit and check the 300 series cards,honest the improvement from 8800.9800 and then 9800>250 is almost impossible to see.
    So infact either card will do.
    If you are going to spend good money and your system can take the upgrade then maybe a 300 card is a better option.
    On the other hand if it is just for mmo's then get a 9800 as the 8800 is more expensive and they are in all honesty the same card.



     

    9800GT = 8800GT so get the cheapest one ( impossible to see difference, as they are exactly the same )

    9800GTX+ = GTS 250 so get the cheapest one ( impossible to see difference, as they are exactly the same )

     

    I thought that is what I said :)



     

    You said "almost" impossible :p

     

    If you are interested in subscription or PCU numbers for MMORPG's, check out my site :
    http://mmodata.blogspot.be/
    Favorite MMORPG's : DAoC pre ToA-NF, SWG Pre CU-NGE, EVE Online

  • daylight01daylight01 Member Posts: 2,250

     ok I will go hang my head in the corner ...I thought it was clear..but it seems not..

    I will have a 10 min time out in the corner :P

    image

    If someone had came up to me in 1980 when I was on my Atari 2600 and said we will be playing games with thousands of people at the same time.I guess my response would have been,"but I only have 2 joysticks"

    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/235780/page/8

  • solareussolareus Member Posts: 3,165

    I'm headed for a 4890 Sapphire 1ghz gpu  card, the eventually gget another and crossfire them, Then I will go back and try Farcry 2 ;)

    Aquick quote from a real developer  from the makers of Farcry 2 :

    "I asked if they were going to support DirectX10 and 9, they said they were and pointed out that the game is running on a current gen PC right now. They said they probably won't make use of the PhysX physics card because the pay-off didn't seem to warrant the investment in time."

    kotaku.com/gaming/far-cry-2/games-for-windows-live-maybe-physx-not-so-much-293259.php

    "Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin
    image

  • ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911

    You know I only expected a couple of replies... Anyway I managed to get a Geforce 250 1gb for £90 (about $150). I haven't fitted it yet (waiting for the PSU to arrive). I'm hoping it will last a few years, if not I will get a gypsy to curse all those that recomended it.

  • solareussolareus Member Posts: 3,165
    Originally posted by Arakazi


    You know I only expected a couple of replies... Anyway I managed to get a Geforce 250 1gb for £90 (about $150). I haven't fitted it yet (waiting for the PSU to arrive). I'm hoping it will last a few years, if not I will get a gypsy to curse all those that recomended it.

    Might as well send a dove out for a gypsy now ;)

    "Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin
    image

  • PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053
    Originally posted by Arakazi


    You know I only expected a couple of replies... Anyway I managed to get a Geforce 250 1gb for £90 (about $150). I haven't fitted it yet (waiting for the PSU to arrive). I'm hoping it will last a few years, if not I will get a gypsy to curse all those that recomended it.



     

    Geforce 250..?   typo..?

    I warn against buying anything but a budget card right now, due to the fact new tech based card will be comming out. Even a $99 budget video card today is more powerful than a $300 card just 17 months ago.

    Next Feb will be a great time to upgrade to $200+ cards. As the tick-tock cycle will take effect.

     

    "No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."


    -Nariusseldon

  • Brain-deadBrain-dead Member Posts: 256

    A lot of people in this thread have no idea what "mid range" means...

    If you can run a game at 1280 with medium or higher settings, that = better than mid range. So I would say the 8600GT is mid range. It supports DX10 and is reasonably fast.

    A lot of people on here are just so hardware-spoiled they dont understand what mid-range is, heh heh. No, a card is not mid range simply because it cant run in 1600 x 1200 with all settings maxed. Gimme a break.

  • PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053
    Originally posted by Brain-dead


    A lot of people in this thread have no idea what "mid range" means...
    If you can run a game at 1280 with medium or higher settings, that = better than mid range. So I would say the 8600GT is mid range. It supports DX10 and is reasonably fast.
    A lot of people on here are just so hardware-spoiled they dont understand what mid-range is, heh heh. No, a card is not mid range simply because it cant run in 1600 x 1200 with all settings maxed. Gimme a break.



     

    ??...?

    The 8600GT is an budget video card... using outdated technology. It isn't DirectX10.1 compliant. That is why it sells for under $50 bucks. Even the 9600GSO is a budget video card.

    The 9800GT and HD4770 start the mid ranged cards.. $99+

     

    "No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."


    -Nariusseldon

  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

    Well, to answer the OPs question we need a good chart of GFX cards so we can compare prices with performance. The OP will most probably also wants something that can run Dx10.

    Here is a good chart from Toms hardware: www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts/gaming-graphics-charts-2009/Sum-of-FPS-Benchmarks-1920x1200,1199.html

    Personally I think I have to reccomend Nvidia 260 GTX. It is affordable and still performs pretty ok, and it is able to run Dx10. But if you can find anything cheaper that performs better (not in SLI thank you, few if any MMO support SLI'), go ahead and buy that.

    Avoid all card that doesn't get 250+ on the test, they are old junk or really cheap low budget crap.

  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Brain-dead


    A lot of people in this thread have no idea what "mid range" means...
    If you can run a game at 1280 with medium or higher settings, that = better than mid range. So I would say the 8600GT is mid range. It supports DX10 and is reasonably fast.
    A lot of people on here are just so hardware-spoiled they dont understand what mid-range is, heh heh. No, a card is not mid range simply because it cant run in 1600 x 1200 with all settings maxed. Gimme a break.

     

    Uhm, that card was not that great when it came 5 years ago or so. Even the 8800 is way too old now and the 8K series don't support Dx10.

    Sorry but this is only acceptable on a portable computer today.

  • noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170


    Originally posted by Loke666

    Originally posted by Brain-dead

    A lot of people in this thread have no idea what "mid range" means...
    If you can run a game at 1280 with medium or higher settings, that = better than mid range. So I would say the 8600GT is mid range. It supports DX10 and is reasonably fast.
    A lot of people on here are just so hardware-spoiled they dont understand what mid-range is, heh heh. No, a card is not mid range simply because it cant run in 1600 x 1200 with all settings maxed. Gimme a break.


     
    Uhm, that card was not that great when it came 5 years ago or so. Even the 8800 is way too old now and the 8K series don't support Dx10.
    Sorry but this is only acceptable on a portable computer today.

    er, the 8k series do support Dx10, the 8600 does suck, the 8800 is basically an entry-level card compared to what's on the market, but depending on what games you're playing (this is an mmo forum) is definitely a viable option. Entry level cards these days are very usable cards compared to a few years ago when an entry level card was a joke but the low-mid range 4770 and 9800gtx are really impressive for their price tags.


    But it all depends on your monitor's max resolution and what games you are playing. A 1280x1024 display is much easier for a video card to handle than a 1680x1040 or 1920x1200.

  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by noquarter


     
     
    er, the 8k series do support Dx10, the 8600 does suck, the 8800 is basically an entry-level card compared to what's on the market, but depending on what games you're playing (this is an mmo forum) is definitely a viable option. Entry level cards these days are very usable cards compared to a few years ago when an entry level card was a joke but the low-mid range 4770 and 9800gtx are really impressive for their price tags.


    But it all depends on your monitor's max resolution and what games you are playing. A 1280x1024 display is much easier for a video card to handle than a 1680x1040 or 1920x1200.

     

    Opps, you are right, the 8K serie do support dx10... My error, was years ago I sold my 2 8800 cards. Here is the specs for the 8K series, it is not very impressive however. The only 8K card worth buying today is the 8800 Ultra.

    The 9800 GTX card is acceptable if the OP can find it cheap, it is in range of what I reccomended on my previous post. The 9800 Gx2 is actually pretty good still but is usually a bit too expensive to be a mid range card.

    The 4770 is however performing rather badly.

    And yes resolution matters also but I rather use the benchmark on the higher settings than lower since I don't know what screen the OP have and might buy in the near future.

Sign In or Register to comment.