Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The one real problem I have with eve

EnkinduEnkindu Member Posts: 1,098

Was just realizing that this week there is one paradox that makes this game problematic for me.

It attracts educated, intelligent adults because it is so vast and intricate.  Many of the people I've associated with over the years are successful professionals that use eve as a pressure relief valve.. either a sci-fi fix or an intellectual "sparring ground" to blow off some steam.

Unfortunately the same things that make it so attractive also make it very TIME CONSUMING.

I have again found myself at a point where I have a dozen irons in the fire in the game.... living in wormholes, T3 production, more aggressive PvP in w-space.... it's awesome.  Too much fun.

I love it, but I'm going to have to take a break again because (like everyone else I know in the game) I have a busy professional and personal life and there's just no way I can spare enough time to play the game the way it deserves to be played.

I love it too much to ever quit entirely again, but I forsee a pattern for me extending into the future where I play really intensively for a while then take a break to go back to foucusing on the really important things in life like spending time with family, getting outdoors (climbing mountains ftw), and continuing to improve myself educationally and professionally.

Yep, that's my complaint.  Eve is so damned good it can suck you in deeper than it is healthy to go.  But for the sheer wonder of it I'll always keep coming back.  I expect to see this game going strong 5 years from now.

deviliscious: (PS. I have been told that when I use scientific language, it does not make me sound more intelligent, it only makes me sound like a jackass. It makes me appear that I am not knowledgable enough in the subject I am discussing to be able to translate it for people outside the field to understand. Some advice you might consider as well)

Comments

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

Met some crazy NASA engineers who plays EVE.

• JGMIIIJGMIII Member Posts: 1,282

That's why I love the timed skill training.

I can easily step away and become super casual and keep training.

In other MMos when Work gets crazy I get frustrated since all my progress stops when I can't log in. This is happening to me in Ryzom atm. I havent been able to log in and my skilling is suffering and it makes me feel like a sub is a waste to the game.

I don't get that In Eve If I need to take a week or two or even a month off due to family or Work stuff I can and I still feel like im progressing my character.

Eve is a wonderful game.

Playing: EvE, Ryzom

• RollotamasiRollotamasi Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 898

While I loved EvE and think it is one of the best games ever created my overall issue with it is that i found long stretches where I did absolutley nothing.  My corp would get all grouped up and ready to hunt some war targets and we would spend three hours just chasing people around.  We would spend hours roaming with no action.  While I am not a xbawx kiddie with no attention span I  found eve to slow paced after a while. 

Edit - Oh, and they nerfed the one ship that I was able to actually go and do some solo PvP in.  That was about the time I found myself logging in and having nothing to do.

-Currently looking forward to FFXIV

-Currently playing EvE and Global Agenda

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Although i'm very new to the game, i can already relate to some of the things you guys mentioned here.

I'm the type of gamer who gets easily hooked up and sucked into a game, spending every single free minute then. Way more than it is healthy. It happened to me in other games and i thought it would happen in EvE as well, but it turned out to be quite the opposite way. The offline skill training makes Eve so relaxing for me and unlike in other games, i don't have the feeling that i must spend every single minute playing, because if i don't my character does not progress at all.

On the other hand, i feel that some of the games' lengths are a bit overdone - and in my case this has nothing to do with being spoiled by todays' games instant gratifications or not having a proper attention span, but rather how much time i have at hand on one or the other evening and how i like to spend it. In example i log in and take on a mission, i'm often getting send back and forth 12+ hops and do literally nothing else than clicking stargates and watch my ship warp. A 3hrs playing sessions can easily contain 70% percent travelling which i wouldn't consider actually "playing" but rather "spending time in game" -if you get my drift. I don't know how much of a part travelling plays later on once you are settled down somewhere with a Corp, but looking at the map i can imagine it can be a tedious hell sometimes and auto-pilot won't stay an option once you leave high-sec. I understand that it probably turns alot of new players off. Also the idea that training of skills take weeks or more to complete and that progression is actually  measured in real-time month feels kind of uncomfortable to me, but being new to the game that is certainly a point i have to reach first before i can get a serious impression of it.

Or another thing... as a newbie, i often hated it that there is no easy way to quickly get one of the items i've left on another station where i got my sort of "newbie-storage", as i don't always take everything with me. There are warp-drives and there is rocket-science going on, but there is no simple parcel delivery possible? Don't get me wrong, i understand that manual transportation of any goods adds up to the overall danger, roleplay and realism of the game. So people shouldn't be able to send their goods from A to B instead of hauling them. But being able to send a light package from station to station wouldnt take away too much i think. Let it take a couple of minutes or hours, but dont make me fly back and forth all the evening instead of actually having some action and fun.

• donaldduckdonaldduck Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Originally posted by Enkindu

It attracts educated, intelligent adults because it is so vast and intricate.  Many of the people I've associated with over the years are successful professionals that use eve as a pressure relief valve.. either a sci-fi fix or an intellectual "sparring ground" to blow off some steam.

Can't help but think those 'successful professionals' would be FAR better off getting on some hiking boots and walking in the countryside or going out for a run to blow off some steam instead of 'working' another job playing EVE

After playing through the trial now on a few occasions I know I could get into EVE quite easily, its not a complicated game, deep yes but not complicated BUT I know it would take over my life completely as its probably THE number one MMO (or any game) time sink I"ve ever witnessed ...and that's the reason why I could never justify playing it.

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    Originally posted by donaldduck

Can't help but think those 'successful professionals' would be FAR better off getting on some hiking boots and walking in the countryside or going out for a run to blow off some steam instead of 'working' another job playing EVE

What makes you think they don't?

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • EnkinduEnkindu Member Posts: 1,098
    Originally posted by donaldduck

After playing through the trial now on a few occasions I know I could get into EVE quite easily, its not a complicated game, deep yes but not complicated BUT I know it would take over my life completely as its probably THE number one MMO (or any game) time sink I"ve ever witnessed ...and that's the reason why I could never justify playing it.

You didn't read my post very carefully.  My other big love is rock climbing/ mountaineering. I also do a lot of sailing and diving, and I still play (and write) a lot of music with my best friend of 30 years. 

Eve is appealing because it is an incredible playground for the imagination, much like the outdoors is a great playground for the body and spirit.

deviliscious: (PS. I have been told that when I use scientific language, it does not make me sound more intelligent, it only makes me sound like a jackass. It makes me appear that I am not knowledgable enough in the subject I am discussing to be able to translate it for people outside the field to understand. Some advice you might consider as well)

• angriffangriff Member Posts: 154

Just started my free trial.  Always seen this game but at heart I am a Wargammer not a Avatar improver.  I played Elite years ago on my Amiga and loved it.  This kind of looks like that.  I would prefer a game with more interaction and true PvP to how this game appears to be in this game a Dark Age of Camelot in spaceships.  The game needs to be more 2-D map instead of a 2-D game trying to be 3-D map.

Anyway I will try a little more.. but 14 days you probably cannot get past the silly Avatar mission clicksalot.

Originally posted by angriff

Just started my free trial.  Always seen this game but at heart I am a Wargammer not a Avatar improver.  I played Elite years ago on my Amiga and loved it.  This kind of looks like that.  I would prefer a game with more interaction and true PvP to how this game appears to be in this game a Dark Age of Camelot in spaceships.  The game needs to be more 2-D map instead of a 2-D game trying to be 3-D map.

Anyway I will try a little more.. but 14 days you probably cannot get past the silly Avatar mission clicksalot.

Not sure what you are getting at here- to be honest this made me wonder if you have undocked yet.

The whole game is PvP.. including trade, manufacturing, and exploration.  The straight up combat PvP is the best I've experienced in 25 years of gaming.

Eve is a game of months and years though, and it's about thinking not twitch.  It will be a while before you start to understand the nuances ot tactics and fitting.  If you are passing judgement on the game already, odds are you won't have the patience to ever enjoy it.

Not sure what you are getting at here- to be honest this made me wonder if you have undocked yet.

The whole game is PvP.. including trade, manufacturing, and exploration.  The straight up combat PvP is the best I've experienced in 25 years of gaming.

Eve is a game of months and years though, and it's about thinking not twitch.  It will be a while before you start to understand the nuances ot tactics and fitting.  If you are passing judgement on the game already, odds are you won't have the patience to ever enjoy it.

Well that is exactly what the problem with these type of games are.  They expect you to stay tuned for months and years of player developement.  As far as  I can see in about 4 hours of playing it is one big empty space of nothing.  I went through the tutorial and learned how to Autopilot around (just like Dark Ages of Camelot running).  You take a mission and maybe you run into an AI pirate vessel to destroy or something and gain some experience or some scanner thingie.  Well in all this time you do not interact with anybody .. nobody... come on is this a solo game or one that has tons of players?  Basically if you like flying around building a character and such this is Pirates of Burning Sea with spaceship views.

• qwenidenqweniden Member Posts: 151

I am a Wargammer not a Avatar improver.

Why are you even reading this website then? "Avatar Improvement" is the core mechanic of RPGs.

• xS0u1zxxS0u1zx Member Posts: 209

Well that is exactly what the problem with these type of games are.  They expect you to stay tuned for months and years of player developement.  As far as  I can see in about 4 hours of playing it is one big empty space of nothing.  I went through the tutorial and learned how to Autopilot around (just like Dark Ages of Camelot running).  You take a mission and maybe you run into an AI pirate vessel to destroy or something and gain some experience or some scanner thingie.  Well in all this time you do not interact with anybody .. nobody... come on is this a solo game or one that has tons of players?  Basically if you like flying around building a character and such this is Pirates of Burning Sea with spaceship views.

I find it funny that you've only done PVE which in eve's case is probably the worst PVE in any game made.  Eve is pure pvp based, in literally every aspect of the game.   For instance there is NO NPC vendors. *except for faction vendors that's another story though*. 

As for interacting with people, you are doing it all the time.  Whether you're buying something from the market *Which is about 95% player ran*, talking in trade, corp, or w/e.  Eve is more interactive with other players then any game I've seen yet.

Eve is not a solo game by any means.  Seriously I played the game for 2 years, you always need help with something.  I mean you can go solo level 4 missions/  But in my opinion doing missions in Eve, you're better off playing wow.   I'm not going to try to convince anyone to play it.  But if you're gonna judge it without trying it for a few months, then you sir are a very foolish person.

Anyway I'm half asleep and can't think right now, seriously try to get into the actual "Mechanics" of the game before opening that mouth or pressing plastic keys.

Don't take this as hostile because it isn't at all:

After many years of helping players new to eve, I can tell you that it's not going to be your game.  You can cut your losses and move on without wasting any more time.

People that love eve tend to at least understand the potential of the game very early on.  By the second day of my trial (in november 2004) I had so many things I wanted to do that I had a hard time prioritizing.  If you seriously feel that all the game offers is point and click and autopiloting around by yourself you are missing pretty much everything the game is.

Just for kicks before you leave, fit a frigate with a couple stabs and fly out to syndicate.  I assure you you will meet some people very quickly : )

Don't take this as hostile because it isn't at all:

After many years of helping players new to eve, I can tell you that it's not going to be your game.  You can cut your losses and move on without wasting any more time.

People that love eve tend to at least understand the potential of the game very early on.  By the second day of my trial (in november 2004) I had so many things I wanted to do that I had a hard time prioritizing.  If you seriously feel that all the game offers is point and click and autopiloting around by yourself you are missing pretty much everything the game is.

Just for kicks before you leave, fit a frigate with a couple stabs and fly out to syndicate.  I assure you you will meet some people very quickly : )

Well there is no mechanism in the game to let you know you are interacting.  You only see dots of people wizzing by at warp speed.  I guess they are people they are green flags and not static customs ships at the jump ports.  Interaction is seeing people and figuring out what to do.  If you just want to mine ore turn it into something and create money buy a bigger ship then I suppose it is Pirates of the Burning Sea or Dark Ages of Camelot remixed.  There has not been one thing I have seen yet that produces a hook. 

My only interaction was some guy PMing me over eve mail saying was the game treating me right?  I guess some guy let me buy a ship 50% undermarket if that is what it doe but it seemed like a computer.  I got no notice of who and no interaction other that bidding on some market board.  It may as well have been a computer for all I could tell.

Whatever stabs are?

Do people us TS or voice comms in this game or is it just squad night outsiders not welcome? 

Originally posted by qweniden

Why are you even reading this website then? "Avatar Improvement" is the core mechanic of RPGs.

And I rest my case... EVE is a Fantasy Game not a Epic Future Space "Country" Wargame.  You build you avatar for personal gain not gain of your faction.

• JGMIIIJGMIII Member Posts: 1,282

And I rest my case... EVE is a Fantasy Game not a Epic Future Space "Country" Wargame.  You build you avatar for personal gain not gain of your faction.

"Epic Future Space Wargames" can't have character progression also?

Are you just trolling? If you're looking for a Epic wargame why they hell are you hanging around in Empire space doing pve missions?

Try to read up on the game alittle more, territorial warfare and conquest is a big part of Eve online. Stop playing Eve like you would a solo player game, get your ass recruited into a corp thats in a decent alliance and start participating in that Epic Space war.

You sound like you want the epic war handed to you on first log in. handholding isn't what Eve is about if that's what your after please leave.

Playing: EvE, Ryzom

angriff, you dont understand the mechanics of an RPG and you dont seem to intellegent enough to figure out some basic things about eve, so please do us a favor and dont waste your/our time posting here.

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360

angriff, you dont understand the mechanics of an RPG and you dont seem to intellegent enough to figure out some basic things about eve, so please do us a favor and dont waste your/our time posting here.

Here I was thinking the guy just didn't like Eve.  Thank you for reminding me that anyone who doesn't enjoy the game is stupid, and lacks patience.  I almost read 20 whole posts on this forum without seeing an Evotist point out how stupid everyone else is.

A little internet tip for you:  If you are going to call people stupid on a forum, use spell check.  The last thing you want to do is misspell moron... or "intellegent".  ;)

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785
    Originally posted by Salvatoris

Here I was thinking the guy just didn't like Eve.  Thank you for reminding me that anyone who doesn't enjoy the game is stupid, and lacks patience.  I almost read 20 whole posts on this forum without seeing an Evotist point out how stupid everyone else is.

A little internet tip for you:  If you are going to call people stupid on a forum, use spell check.  The last thing you want to do is misspell moron... or "intellegent".  ;)

He was just asked to leave because he really didn't know what he was talking about. Seemed fair and appropriate to me. I do find it interesting that another troll decided to dig it up again.

As to the post, I once again agree with Enkindu. EVE requires more time than is best to spend in a game to be played the way it deserves to be played.

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360

What are you talking about digging up?  The entire thread is 2 days old and I replied to a post from an hour ago. 

Here I was thinking the guy just didn't like Eve.  Thank you for reminding me that anyone who doesn't enjoy the game is stupid, and lacks patience.

You are putting words into my mouth. Ive seen plenty of well-reasoned and informed people who tried EVE and decided thats it not for them after giving it an honest try. This guy doesnt fall into that category. He comes to a site dedicated to RPGs and complains about the core RPG mechanic and then makes flat out incorrect statements that anyone who had spent a few days playing the game would not make. The evidence speaks for itself.

A little internet tip for you: If you are going to call people stupid on a forum, use spell check. The last thing you want to do is misspell moron... or "intellegent". ;)

Yeah I need to put firefox on this computer. Wish I was better speller, but Im just not. 

• BloodDualityBloodDuality Member UncommonPosts: 404

I played eve for about 6 months and eventually got myself into a Curse, and then quit soon after the changes to the nos system. I was upset with wasting so much time to get to soemthing and have it nerfed that I couldn't stay on anylonger. Afterwards I did hear that the ship was still able to be competative, but I never returned. I still enjoyed my time with eve, but had moved onto other games and endevores.

The big drawbacks to me with eve is actually one thing that everybody puts up on a pedistal, the time based skill learning system. I am fine with waiting for skills to train, but still no matter how much effort you put in you can't catch up to someone that has been playing for years in terms of training. At least in other games you can catch up even casually, because even if you are slower you can still get to the same point as the top people eventually.

Another thing I noticed in the past is that people say eve has no grind because everything is time based. I would just say that eve has a isk grind. I spent most of my time just trying to get money in eve, and less time being able to pvp and have fun. Then the times when pvp was possible I would die without being able to put up a fight due to lag. Warping into a fight with group and getting there to not see anyone in around me, and still find my ship going down in shields and armor. Only later to find out that the invisable ships that destroyed my Drake were 3 carriers, 2 dreadnots, and a gilante BC. Don't see how anyone could call that fun.

Eve has so many amazing aspects, but just for me there were too many cons.

Well there is no mechanism in the game to let you know you are interacting.  You only see dots of people wizzing by at warp speed.  I guess they are people they are green flags and not static customs ships at the jump ports.  Interaction is seeing people and figuring out what to do.  If you just want to mine ore turn it into something and create money buy a bigger ship then I suppose it is Pirates of the Burning Sea or Dark Ages of Camelot remixed.  There has not been one thing I have seen yet that produces a hook. 

My only interaction was some guy PMing me over eve mail saying was the game treating me right?  I guess some guy let me buy a ship 50% undermarket if that is what it doe but it seemed like a computer.  I got no notice of who and no interaction other that bidding on some market board.  It may as well have been a computer for all I could tell.

Whatever stabs are?

Do people us TS or voice comms in this game or is it just squad night outsiders not welcome? 

I've made lifelong friendships (with people all over the world) in eve.  What you seem to be telling me is that you need to be talking to a little picture of a creature to "know you are interacting." 

There are built in voice comms in eve that work quite well for most things and we use them all the time.

Sounds like some guy tried to hook you up with a ship there.. and yet to you he wasn't for real because you didn't see a little picture of a creature to talk to?

If you had bothered to do any research at all (pretty much a requirement to get started in a game as complex as eve) you'd know what warp core stabilizers are... since they are one of the most important pieces of equipment in game to keep you from getting dead.

The "hook" in eve is that there is one virtual world that is pretty cold and cruel.. and you are in direct competition with a LOT of very smart and skilled people to achieve ANYTHING in the game. To carve out your "space" in the game, whether that means market share, combat superiority, or owning actual sovreign space requires intelligence, cooperation, and patience.  You can screw up and blow years worth of hard work in seconds if you are careless.  So it's a virtual world that has a lot in common with real life.

That is the hook.  It is complex and hard as hell. When you accomplish something like getting a decent corp off of the ground it is REALLY rewarding.  If you don't appreciate (or even comprehend) that beauty and complexity very early on you will never "get" the game.

Like I said, that's perfectlty cool.  Not everyone likes every game- I have lots of old friends that play WoW and I've tried to get into that game probably 5 times for them.  I can never manage to play for more than 2 days before I'm so bored that I find myself watching TV (or even paying bills) while I'm logged in.  The lack of any risk and the "linear" nature of that game just don't work for me.  This does not mean that I disparage the game or my best friend in RL for enjoying it.

You seem to have come to this thread to say "this game sucks because it is point and click avatar building etc. etc."  We understand you don't like it.  Many of us here find the game to be rich and rewarding, and I ask that you respect our opinion as we respect yours.  Just realize that you can't pass judgement after 4 days on something that takes months and years to fully appreciate.  Your personality type is obviously not going to draw you to the game enough for you to ever fully understand it.

Maybe you'll understand this analogy:

When I took my first basic rock climbing class in the Tetons in 1990 I was in crappy rented equipment, and I barely had the skills to manage to rappel down a little cliff, much less CLIMB anything...

But....

I saw the other climbers with huge gear racks and haul bags on the way to really big climbs.  I watched a few aces leading 5.12 sport routes.  I read A LOT about climbing and mountaineering  and was happy to do research and train because I could sense the HUGE possibilities that the sport offered.  I've been climbing for almost 20 years now and that has afforded me some of the most rewarding experiences of my life.

On the other hand...

My good friend that took that same class with me was never comfortable on the rock, and afterward said "why in the hell do people do this?"  He hasn't climbed again as far as I know... although he is a great snowboarder (something that I find boring, dangerous, and cold).

We are all different.  It's cool.  Good luck finding something that you like better.

• Brain-deadBrain-dead Member Posts: 256

I find it funny that you've only done PVE which in eve's case is probably the worst PVE in any game made.

I totally disagree. The PvP element spills over into PvE, because the environment itself of PvP...you have no choice but to put yourself at risk any time you do a mission. Players can shoot at you anywhere. Scamming and extortion are legal and expected. And that risk (both combat and economic) is what makes this game appealing to me...and PvE is 95% of what i have been doing in the game for years.

The game isnt a collective amusement park like everquest was...other people affect your gameplay directly, in ways other than mere kill-stealing.

Whatever stabs are?

Warp core stabalizers...things that prevent player pirates from nailing you down so you cant warp away when they attack you.

Do people us TS or voice comms in this game

A lot of people do. But a lot dont.

And I rest my case... EVE is a Fantasy Game not a Epic Future Space "Country" Wargame. You build you avatar for personal gain not gain of your faction.

They are not mutually exclusive in this game. Nullsec is dominated by player corperations at war over territory. The territory holds resources that they need to improve themselves and their members.

Try to read up on the game a little more, territorial warfare and conquest is a big part of Eve online.

Yep...a HUGE part. In fact, I would go so far as to say that Empire Space is basically just for casual gamers or training wheels to prepare you for nullsec. Nullsec is where the real core of Eve takes place IMO.

And I say that as a casual solo pilot. I spend all my time in Empire space and I have fun, but I dont delude myself into believing that Empire is where the real game takes place.

Originally posted by Brain-dead

Yep...a HUGE part. In fact, I would go so far as to say that Empire Space is basically just for casual gamers or training wheels to prepare you for nullsec. Nullsec is where the real core of Eve takes place IMO.

The vast majority of EVE players dont go into nullsec FYI.