Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crysis 2 announced for PC....and Xbox360, Playstation 3

GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Crytek recently announced that they would go multiplatform from here on due to piracy, and the first game to become Multiplatform is the sequel to PC exclusive (And graphics benchmark) Crysis.

kotaku.com/5273719/crysis-2-is-announced-multi+platform

Comments

• SabiancymSabiancym Member UncommonPosts: 3,150

Crysis was a crappy game that only got the hype it did because of it's graphics.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

We all knew that after crytek bought that console dev team Radical Design that this was going to happen.

• sephersepher Member Posts: 3,561

Good news.

Hopefully there'll be things in the new engine that facilitate gameplay moreso than graphics alone; akin to how Far Cry 2 was improved upon the CryEngine 2 with dynamic AI, day and night cycles, the weather and fire and meaningful physics over individual objects. I wouldn't want to have to wait 'til a Far Cry 3 for things like that to be tacked on.

From the looks of it though and the previews of the CryEngine 3, this Crysis 2 should be a lot better, and won't need a Warhead to get a fair shake this time around.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by Sabiancym

Crysis was a crappy game that only got the hype it did because of it's graphics.

Crysis wasn't a crappy game, to call it only a tech demo is ignoring everything it did right. It was by no means perfect but it had some really good things about it.

Also Sepher: Far Cry 2 was not made with the CryEngine 2.

Far Cry 2 was developed by Ubisoft and runs on the Dunia engine.

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

I actually enjoyed this game, true it was not the best of its type but it was fun.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• JosherJosher Member Posts: 2,818

Crysis was a great FPS.  No FPS before allowed you to switch abilities on the fly like that.  Plenty have you in some sort of super suit but NONE of them really make you feel like you're wearing it.  Add in the excellent graphics & physics and it was a fine game.   Tech like that allowed for some things that just couldn't be done before.  If you were looking for some sort of deep puzzle game with in depth characters and some sweeping story arc, then you were playing the wrong game=)  It delivered on exactly what it was supposed to.  It could've been more open ended at times and the AI wasn't the BEST, but it certainly didn't SUCK.  Sounds like a case of nerd rage.

• sephersepher Member Posts: 3,561
    Originally posted by Gameloading

Originally posted by Sabiancym

Crysis wasn't a crappy game, to call it only a tech demo is ignoring everything it did right. It was by no means perfect but it had some really good things about it.

Also Sepher: Far Cry 2 was not made with the CryEngine 2.

Far Cry 2 was developed by Ubisoft and runs on the Dunia engine.

Dunia was built on the CryEngine 2 though. So all the goodness of Crysis was in it; most of the stuff I listed is what was added and made it that much better a game than Crysis.

I'm not saying Crysis was a bad game or anything though; just saying that I hope CryEngine 3 and Crysis 2 are developed well enough that it doesn't take a Dunia or Far Cry 2 to see the real strength of the underlying engine.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

To me Crysis failed because it was a completely unimaginitive game in story and gameplay.  It didn't push anything aside from your system.  Its like a Korean Grinder with pretty graphics.  Gussied up graphics can't stop the game from being a generic bore fest.

Originally posted by Cleffy

To me Crysis failed because it was a completely unimaginitive game in story and gameplay.  It didn't push anything aside from your system.  Its like a Korean Grinder with pretty graphics.  Gussied up graphics can't stop the game from being a generic bore fest.

So which FPS games are games you do not consider generic?

• JosherJosher Member Posts: 2,818

Just curious, but which FPS allows you to switch from stealth to super strength, grab someone, toss them 100 ft at a few other enemies, knocking them down, shoot the gas tank of a truck which causes a chain reaction that blows up a few other oil barrels which destroys the whole damn camp shooting debree everywhere, all within a few seconds, none of it is pre-scripted and it LOOKS awesome?  Can't recall being able to do that in any game before Crysis.   Of course you didn't have to do it that way either.  You could just snipe them all instead or not fire a single shot and kill them silently;)  C'mon, the game had its moments.  If something like that didn't thrill you at all or seemed unimaginative, you're dead inside=)  

Yeah, the story was the same ol same ol, but if you expect every FPS to have an amazing story, you'll be dissapointed with almost all of them.  Even HL2 and Bioshock, which had actual stories, have been told in one way or another in a multitude of sci-fi books.  Theres not a single FPS out there EVER, that hasn't borrowed something from somwwhere.  Theres a point in which you can't let rediculous expectations ruin games that are fine on their own.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Take your pick, GTA3 you could blow up cars by shooting their gas tanks.  HL2 and might and magic dark messiah let you grab and throw people.  Games that offer stealth I think should be obvious.

Here is the story.  You are an elite marine who is being sent on an investigation mission for a missing group of researchers using advanced technology to discover a group has taken over the place. Mid-game that group turns out to be just a diversion as the real threat emerges, Aliens.  Then original group somehow gets your technology and your group starts to use the aliens for technology.  Then its a fight over energy.  That is almost as generic as hearing "1000 years ago the world had a big war and there was chaos, now civilization is rebuilding itself"

There have been plenty of more original fps then Crysis.  Tom Clancy to team conflict, Might and Magic Dark Messiah to destructible environments, Grand Theft Auto if you consider 3 and 4 FPS types, Half Life 2 to story telling, Counter Strike to revolutionizing multiplayer.

To me the changes in Crysis are merely taking a generic game everyone does and adding a bow to it.  Its multiplayer sucked before warhead, and its vehicles were frail.

• RoutverRoutver Member Posts: 383

I enjoyed Crysis, I remember playing it on low and I loved it. The eye candy wasn't the best part, I was a big fan real time weapon modding, it's a simple concept but I don't recall other games allowing you to do it. The nano suit powers felt balanced and the replayability was unmatched by any single player FPS around.

Crysis might be lacking a bit of depth to me, but it is not shallow compared to most dumbed down crap games around nowadays.

• JackcoltJackcolt Member UncommonPosts: 2,170

Cry over piracy lol. EA admitted themselves the game sold better than expected. It sold more than 1.5 million copies which is pretty damn impressive considering the very steep hardware requirements.

Crysis it self was a pretty good game(about the power switching, that is nothing extraordinary), but I really felt like they underused the power of the engine in terms of gameplay. You have this sweet ass engine able to render a vast landscape with gorgeous details, and yet you make this pretty much linear game with a single path through it. A shame, because they simple makes walking around cool and all, but for all we care, it could have been linear limited maps. Gameplay would have been pretty much identical. Oh, and Aliens fucking suck. Really. The game went so down from hell ever since they appeared. Boring as hell, and rendered lots of the tactical variety useless.

Take your pick, GTA3 you could blow up cars by shooting their gas tanks.  HL2 and might and magic dark messiah let you grab and throw people.  Games that offer stealth I think should be obvious.
    Here is the story.  You are an elite marine who is being sent on an investigation mission for a missing group of researchers using advanced technology to discover a group has taken over the place. Mid-game that group turns out to be just a diversion as the real threat emerges, Aliens.  Then original group somehow gets your technology and your group starts to use the aliens for technology.  Then its a fight over energy.  That is almost as generic as hearing "1000 years ago the world had a big war and there was chaos, now civilization is rebuilding itself"
    There have been plenty of more original fps then Crysis.  Tom Clancy to team conflict, Might and Magic Dark Messiah to destructible environments, Grand Theft Auto if you consider 3 and 4 FPS types, Half Life 2 to story telling, Counter Strike to revolutionizing multiplayer.
    To me the changes in Crysis are merely taking a generic game everyone does and adding a bow to it.  Its multiplayer sucked before warhead, and its vehicles were frail.

So thats it? you can 5 games of which some are not FPS and one only because of its storytelling?

Jackolt: It expected better then expected but that doesn't mean they didn't take piracy into consideration.

A game like Crysis would have sold significantly better on a platform such as the Xbox360

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

Looks like the PC is getting the majority of xbox360 exclusive games.

• rymanryman Member Posts: 227
    Originally posted by Gameloading

So thats it? you can 5 games of which some are not FPS and one only because of its storytelling?

Jackolt: It expected better then expected but that doesn't mean they didn't take piracy into consideration.

A game like Crysis would have sold significantly better on a platform such as the Xbox360

Right now, no it won't sell well. Xbox 360 FPS games are switching to pure destructible environments, Crysis doesn't come close to it. Plus it will be significantly dumbed down and it will most likely lack matchmaking. Your 360 game will not gang popularity without the simple common multiplayer utility of matchmaking.

Therefore, Crysis 2 is just going to be a floating turd.

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

I dont give A damn about the 360 or the PS3. I just want the stupid Story Finished.

Who ever came up with this Idea that its ok to get them worked up that were about to go kick some Serious ass then "Next time on Crysis (Or Halo)" Needs to Die a Hundred Trillion Horrable Screaming Deaths.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• JackcoltJackcolt Member UncommonPosts: 2,170

Well higher sales doesn't equal higher profit. 1.5 millions for copies for PC only development along with engine licensing royalties and fees have unquestionably earned them a good profit. Of course they think that if the 20 million (or how many) people hadn't downloading the game, they would have 21.5 million copies sold. Not really. 1.5 million is impressive for that kind of game, and they should be happy.

But I'm glad it's coming to consoles. Hopefully that would make the engine a bit more smooth instead of the memory hogging chokefest it is now.