Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO killer of another, why some people say this?

slim26slim26 Member UncommonPosts: 645

My big question is why some people want an MMO to be killed off? Now see WoW is big and successful but when another MMO comes out and seem fantastic some people say its a WoW killer which would be hurting the company of there hard dedicated work and forcing it to close. When Aion comes out here, it just may be the next big thing and bring in a lot of people but what if another MMO comes out in the following year people would be saying it is an Aion killer completely erasing your enjoyment you had with Aion "Betrayed"

We need to just stop with this MMO killer crap and just enjoy what we have and appreciate the game developers hard work for example AoC, it is fixing everything and using dx10... that is like working with alien technology.

Comments

• JGMIIIJGMIII Member Posts: 1,282

Because people are either raging fanboys or Raging Haters!

MMOs dont kill Other MMOs.

Mentally challenged, helmet wearing, yellow bus riding Devs Kill MMOs.

Playing: EvE, Ryzom

• Shiva_ShadowShiva_Shadow Member Posts: 216

'It's lonely at the top', as the saying goes.

Maybe it's just simple human competitive instinct to want to see the top of the heap take a bad tumble.  Maybe it's because WoW is the game everyone compares others to, whether they've played it or not.  When WoW came out they called it the Everquest killer, and they called a few other games before WoW the same thing.  The simple fact, everytime something is called the WoW killer there is a small chance they might be right.

<channels a 80's commerical for some odd reason.>

Why ask why, drink bud dry.

• hidden1hidden1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

The first time i recall hearing "killer" as part of game's objective was when I worked at SEGA many years ago, during the Master System and Genesis' early days.  Marketting people came into our department and brought in and E-prom version of Landstalker.  One of them referred to it as SEGA's "Zelda-killer".  Which it wasn't after I played it for the first 10 minutes.  Was interesting and as I recall it was one of the earliers isometric (top-down at an angle) rpgs of it's times.  It was funny that SEGA's marketting had no idea that it was like comparing apples to oranges, but hey that's business end for you folks... that's what happens when you have "non-gaming" marketting people talk like they know games.

So yeah, that was the first time I heard "killer" used in that regard.

• uhjpaeuhjpae Member Posts: 165

I think they do that just to gain some popularity. But if the new games are not better than the previous ones, then there's no need to be worried. They will just be called "killer" but it won't happen.

• Shiva_ShadowShiva_Shadow Member Posts: 216
    Originally posted by uhjpae

I think they do that just to gain some popularity. But if the new games are not better than the previous ones, then there's no need to be worried. They will just be called "killer" but it won't happen.

Either that or they do it on that rare chance they might be right.

P,s, I absolutely adored hearing your story hidden1, and am glad I am not the only 'old' person here talking about games.  Please keep educating these 'babies' ^^.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

It's just the natural urge to exaggerate -- that, and sometimes people are genuinely excited enough that they think the new game will kill off the old one.

Hopefully nobodys excitement over one game is "erased" because of another.  I mean, if you spent a year playing one game hopefully you did it because you had fun with the game...right?  Otherwise why play?

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver