Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

On trial and moving into low sec advice?

brutotalbrutotal Member Posts: 276

Close to 50 mil plus hard assets and I'm joining a pirate corp when I get there.

After a week of doing missions I've decided to jump into the fire. Any advice? I'm going to be safespotting tommorrow when there aren't alot of people on. I'm not sure how a cap stable punisher with AB is going to hold up against the horrors of space but I'm going to find out.

Comments

• DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144

Now that's a true pirate, jumping into the unknown and hoping for the best.

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

u the man

insurance would be a good idea. =]

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

join a pirate corp. There is only so much a T1 frigate can take on. But now 4-6 t1 frigs, you can take on bigger ships.

and read this if you havent already

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• brutotalbrutotal Member Posts: 276

Done and done. Heh, not too bad for someone on trial I have a 2:1 ratio universes favor right now but its only the second day in low sec.

Apparently the difficulty curve isn't that bad if you do research before you jump.

• JGMIIIJGMIII Member Posts: 1,282
    Originally posted by brutotal

Apparently the difficulty curve isn't that bad if you do research before you jump.

Yep sometimes that's too much to ask of people.

I'm glad you're enjoying yourself, Welcome to Eve.

Playing: EvE, Ryzom

• x_rast_xx_rast_x Member Posts: 745

There's really no way around it - when you first get into pvp you're going to die.  A lot.  So a cheap punisher is already a step in the right directon.  A good, solid T1 cruiser doesn't cost a lot either in the big scheme of things (fully T2 fit, still under 15 mil after insurance) and these will likely be your workhorse ships for a long time until you have the support skills for BS.

Main advice I can give..

• Don't be stupid, but don't be a pussy either.  You'll make some dumb mistakes.  You'll make many of the same dumb mistakes everyone else does and annoy your corp. leaders but as long as you learn from them it'll all be OK in the end.
    • Winning is great, but you learn more when you lose.  Don't go off in a fit of nerdrage in your corp chat, and certainly not in local when you lose something expensive because you were an idiot.  It happens to everyone, just say GF and don't make the same mistake again.
    • Live in lowsec.  Go carebear in highsec when you need ISK.  You don't do your corp any good if you spend 90% of your time in some mission hub killing NPCs.  You'll eventually get booted out of most, if not all, of highsec eventually anyway so it'll pay off in spades if you can learn how to earn a living in a lowsec.  Exploration can be very lucrative if you have the skills, and missioning in a system your corp has good control over is barely any more risky than highsec missioning, and it pays a lot better.
    • Get good with the d-scanner.  Next to the local channel it's the best intel channel you will always have available to you and any lowsec corp will expect you to become proficient with it quickly.  Don't expect any sympathy if you get ganked in a belt or at a planet or something because you weren't watching your scanner.
  • lollerwafflelollerwaffle Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Originally posted by x_rast_x

There's really no way around it - when you first get into pvp you're going to die.  A lot.  So a cheap punisher is already a step in the right directon.  A good, solid T1 cruiser doesn't cost a lot either in the big scheme of things (fully T2 fit, still under 15 mil after insurance) and these will likely be your workhorse ships for a long time until you have the support skills for BS.
    Main advice I can give..

Don't be stupid, but don't be a pussy either.  You'll make some dumb mistakes.  You'll make many of the same dumb mistakes everyone else does and annoy your corp. leaders but as long as you learn from them it'll all be OK in the end.
    Winning is great, but you learn more when you lose.  Don't go off in a fit of nerdrage in your corp chat, and certainly not in local when you lose something expensive because you were an idiot.  It happens to everyone, just say GF and don't make the same mistake again.
    Live in lowsec.  Go carebear in highsec when you need ISK.  You don't do your corp any good if you spend 90% of your time in some mission hub killing NPCs.  You'll eventually get booted out of most, if not all, of highsec eventually anyway so it'll pay off in spades if you can learn how to earn a living in a lowsec.  Exploration can be very lucrative if you have the skills, and missioning in a system your corp has good control over is barely any more risky than highsec missioning, and it pays a lot better.
    Get good with the d-scanner.  Next to the local channel it's the best intel channel you will always have available to you and any lowsec corp will expect you to become proficient with it quickly.  Don't expect any sympathy if you get ganked in a belt or at a planet or something because you weren't watching your scanner.

Very sound advice there. Remember, intel is your best friend. Local/D-scanner provide this. Also, getting to know the locals and their policies help. Another thing is to familirize yourself with the system you'll be basing yourself out of. By this I mean location of belts/planets, how far they are apart (will affect d-scan usage). Setting up a good set of bookmarks is a good idea, don't forget you can organize bookmarks into folders, so name them well (you don't want to right click and have a whole list of 'spot in XXX system' BM's).

Some tips for piracy: Ransoms are a good way to make money, especially if you keep your costs low like t1 frigates and cruisers. Paydirt would include situations like where you have a cruiser/BC tackled in your frigate, and you've popped all his drones and he can't hit you. You could either kill him (for killmail/epeen) or ransom. Reasonable requests are normally 1/2 cost of ship+fittings, so I'd say about 10-15mil for a cruiser or 30-60mil for a BC. Ofc, having a mate with a ship scanner will tell you if he has any faction mods (isk buyers/ebayers ftw), which should factor in your decisions.

While it's tempting to join the big bad pirates in a system/constellation, it might also be worth checking out the smaller fish that know what they're doing. The epic fights tend to be ones where you're outnumbered but not outgunned :

GL and fly (un)safe! o/

• XennithXennith Member Posts: 1,244

let me know how you managed to make 50 mil on a trial account :)

use the scanner, have fun, make sure your pod is up to date and dont forget to insure your ship. its going to die. frankly if it doesnt die you have done something wrong regarding learning.

good on you for venturing out there.

• brutotalbrutotal Member Posts: 276
    Originally posted by Xennith

let me know how you managed to make 50 mil on a trial account :)

Mission running + Salvaging + too much time on my hands its summer.

Not unfeasible to be in a cruiser in your second week and L2 missions pay 200k, I think I could have spent less time in a destroyer but salvaging is where most of the money is so L1's aren't that big of a difference.

For an update I practiced scanning in high sec on all the hulks roaming around and put it into practice in low sec. I'm flying with a mix of older and newer pilots so there is plenty of advice and players also flying frigates who I can argue fittings with.

Solo is really difficult compared to being grouped, scan time/picking targets is really skill based and its great to have second opinions as well as another person scanning for a different target thats in the system.

I realize I'm acting like an add for eve but I really love it and I subscribed so I could use contracts/industrials

edit: Oh yeah looted a bunch of faction mods and when they do sell its about 125mil, its split 5 ways for the gang thats 25mil into a trial account