Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your mindset?

JonolinbJonolinb Member Posts: 66

I'm curious. You see, I've tried the trial for EvE around 5 or 6 times. I had fun and everything, but I couldn't bring myself to subscribe.

What I want to know though, is what kind of mindset do those who swear by this game have whenever they "get into" EvE?

I guess what I'm really interested in, is what do you like about the game? I'm looking to give it another shot. I think I just need another viewpoint on how to actually play the game, since I'm not used to sandbox games. Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• cc170cc170 Member Posts: 146

Well, I just started about 2 weeks ago and not sure if you want my point of view since I am really new. But, what got me to stay was getting into a good corp that can help you out and do things together. Running Op's and things with your corp is really fun. So I suggest getting into a good/helpful corp.

Hope I could help.

Playing:WoW, GA
    Played:WoW,WAR,AoC,EQ,CoH,GW,EVE,Aion
    Want to play:SW:TOR

• NecroHeliumNecroHelium Member Posts: 175
    Originally posted by Jonolinb

I'm curious. You see, I've tried the trial for EvE around 5 or 6 times. I had fun and everything, but I couldn't bring myself to subscribe.

What I want to know though, is what kind of mindset do those who swear by this game have whenever they "get into" EvE?

I guess what I'm really interested in, is what do you like about the game? I'm looking to give it another shot. I think I just need another viewpoint on how to actually play the game, since I'm not used to sandbox games. Thanks in advance. :)

EVE is a very niche game... you either like it, or you don't, no in betweens.  I personally like the PvP risk and the ability to play the pirate, bounty hunter, anti-pirate, soldier in corporation war, the ability to actually affect and manipulate the economy, literally everything is pretty much player controlled.  Also remember that to buy the game it only costs 20 dollars and gives you a month of game time... plus after you start making lots of money you can actually buy game time with in game money.

If you really want to get into EVE you'll have to go beyond the trial time, I'd recommend immediately respeccing a new character with full intelligence, rest in memory, train all learning skills to level 4, then respec again however you want.  You will learn skills MUCH faster that way.  After that's done, don't try and jump to bigger ships too quickly.  Stick with frigates or cruisers until you can use most t2 mods, then join a good low sec corp, that's when you start to get hooked on eve, with the PvP.  PvP is, at least for me, better than any PvP game I've ever played in EVE.

• cc170cc170 Member Posts: 146

Another thing like the poster above stated the PvP risk is awesome and you really do need more time than the trial

Playing:WoW, GA
    Played:WoW,WAR,AoC,EQ,CoH,GW,EVE,Aion
    Want to play:SW:TOR

• JonolinbJonolinb Member Posts: 66

EVE is a very niche game... you either like it, or you don't, no in betweens.  I personally like the PvP risk and the ability to play the pirate, bounty hunter, anti-pirate, soldier in corporation war, the ability to actually affect and manipulate the economy, literally everything is pretty much player controlled.  Also remember that to buy the game it only costs 20 dollars and gives you a month of game time... plus after you start making lots of money you can actually buy game time with in game money.
    If you really want to get into EVE you'll have to go beyond the trial time, I'd recommend immediately respeccing a new character with full intelligence, rest in memory, train all learning skills to level 4, then respec again however you want.  You will learn skills MUCH faster that way.  After that's done, don't try and jump to bigger ships too quickly.  Stick with frigates or cruisers until you can use most t2 mods, then join a good low sec corp, that's when you start to get hooked on eve, with the PvP.  PvP is, at least for me, better than any PvP game I've ever played in EVE.

I'm really interested in being able to buy game time with in-game currency. Haha. 

But seriously though, this is what I'm asking about. Just what others like in the game. One of the major reasons I think I've enjoyed other MMOs is just talking about it and playing it with other friends. Really becoming emersed in the game.

I see the opportunity to really get into this game because it seems very deep (just from the character creation screen I can tell this), which is what I think I'm really looking for in a game.

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803

the mindset as you would say it would be, to think of it as a capital ship game. this is not your fighter shoot shoot dog fights. imagine yourself as the captain of a ship ordering your pilot to set course to (insert coordinates) and then saying engage. ( a la star trek)

imagine the enterprise doing a U turn. would take a while. same thing with this a battleship class takes a good 10 seconds to align to a certain system and then bam into warp.

its a slow paced game that takes patience and time. ( oh yeah and work)

• NecroHeliumNecroHelium Member Posts: 175
    Originally posted by Squal'Zell

the mindset as you would say it would be, to think of it as a capital ship game. this is not your fighter shoot shoot dog fights. imagine yourself as the captain of a ship ordering your pilot to set course to (insert coordinates) and then saying engage. ( a la star trek)
    imagine the enterprise doing a U turn. would take a while. same thing with this a battleship class takes a good 10 seconds to align to a certain system and then bam into warp.
    its a slow paced game that takes patience and time. ( oh yeah and work)

This ^^

Also it's kind of interesting in the fact the skills are time based instead of experience based.  Some people look down on this system, and it definetely has its disadvantages along with its advantages, and many say they don't feel like they need to even play the game because of this... think of the game as economy based instead of experience based and you'll find yourself enjoying it more... like in real life... takes time to learn skills, but even with low skills if you use a bit of intelligence you can get ahead to some extent just from your monetary value, so game time played is about making money while skill training time is just about learning things to help you make even more money.

• qwenidenqweniden Member Posts: 151

To be honest when I first downloaded a trial, I didnt think Id play.  I was just curious to see what it was like.  Almost immediatly I really loved being in a ship flying around and the asthetics of the game.  It was fun from day 1.  Just flying around.  So its not like Im working TOWARDS fun stuff to do.  Just being in the world and flying around is fun for me.  

• JGMIIIJGMIII Member Posts: 1,282

Im a gamer that likes going his own way, doing what I want to do.

I enjoy Eve online since I could anything I want, im not restricted at all.

When I first started playing Eve I didn't like it since the agent missions and standing grind felt like EQ and WoW handholding shit.

A couple trials later I discovered low sec and piracy and I've been playing ever since.

Honestly Eve has ruined me I cannot even stomach other mmos with the exception of Ryzom (another sandbox).

I tried to play WAR, Lotro, EQ2 and WoW and the limited flexibility in class designs and the whole lead me around a game world like a dog got to me and made me sick that I would even consider those games MMOs.

EvE 4 Life!

Playing: EvE, Ryzom

• demolishIXdemolishIX Member Posts: 632
    Originally posted by Jonolinb

My mindset:

BURN MAIM KILL ! BURN MAIM KILL! BUUUURN MAAAAAIM KIIIIIIILLLL! BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

• unherdninjaunherdninja Member Posts: 331

I just like the community really. No game ive played in the past ever had a system that tied players together so well. I feel like your actions in the game really do effect something and the game offers you ways of becoming famus. Take a guy name Chribba for example. He plays the middle man for all the big trades in the game. He has trillions of isk. PEople give him titans cus they know they can trust him to get them to the right person. Everyone who does a big trade in eve goes through him. I dont think theres one person in EVE thats been playing for over 6 months that doesnt know his name. He's just one of many people that have become known in the community.  You may not even become as famus as that but even being pilot in 0.0 helping your alliance get space is still just as good. With out you your alliance would never exist. 

I also enjoy how the game is just naturally fun. In WoW and just about every mmo besides EVE Ive always felt I had to find the fun. In EVE though as soon as I logged in my first time I was enjoying myself. No idea why but I was.

• Brain-deadBrain-dead Member Posts: 256

I guess what I'm really interested in, is what do you like about the game?

I like the choices I have. Though the game is designed towards player groups, I still have the option to solo. Even though I dont PvP, I love the danger that PvP adds to the PvE game. I love the complexity of the game because it gives me options...multiple ways to solve the same problem. I love the massive scope of the game (thousands of systems). I love that I can train offline (so I can take a break and not feel like I am not making any progress). I love the open ended player economy and how just about everything is player made and sold. I love the skill-based system that allows me to basically change my "class" at will just by training in stuff.

I love how the game allows for real large scale PvP...the player wars in nullsec really have no analog in any MMO I have ever seen. They are unique to Eve. I love the lack of kids in the game; because it is so complex, most WoW kiddies dont have the patience for it. It's refreshing to see people actually bother to at least TRY to spell correctly or use punctuation.

And yeah, I do love the graphics. Eve's graphics have aged very nicely.

I see the opportunity to really get into this game because it seems very deep (just from the character creation screen I can tell this), which is what I think I'm really looking for in a game.

It is. But the flip side of that is that the game has the steepest learning curve of anything I have ever played. So you also have to be patient to get the pay off. Joining a player corporation, while not a requirement, will significantly reduce the learning curve.