Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If God Doesn't Matter ???

13»

Comments

• talismen351talismen351 Member Posts: 1,124
    Originally posted by Machineowar 

You all believe in a magic invisible man in the sky, who one day poofed into existence and decided to make something out of nothing(HURR DURR WUTS EQUIVELENT XCHANGE?????). THEN you have the AUDACITY to base your beliefs(more like overactive imaginations amirite?) on a book written a long time ago in a mudhut far far away.
    Yeah, no. I think we're not far off when we say that you're all shithouse crazy.

LOL!! Brilliantly put Machine! You pretty much summed up the entire catholic religion right there in two sentences.

Yet they will say we are crazy for not believing in that story.

• Shiva_ShadowShiva_Shadow Member Posts: 216

Well that''s true.

Makes about as much sense as believing the heavens and the Earth and everything it could be created in seven days.

Though it could be argued that no one has a way knowing how a god would percieve time, so technically 10 billion years=7 days.  Though that is neither here nor there.

• GorakkhGorakkh Member Posts: 694
    Originally posted by Shiva_Shadow

Well that''s true.
    Makes about as much sense as believing the heavens and the Earth and everything it could be created in seven days.
    Though it could be argued that no one has a way knowing how a god would percieve time, so technically 10 billion years=7 days.  Though that is neither here nor there.

I forgot to take that into account. I would like to assume that time passes by very quickly for God since he doesn't have the weakness's of mortal flesh. I'm sure that whatever ''body'' or ''no body'' God has, that it is in such a perfect condition that It doesn't have unwanted feelings or states that makes things unenjoyable.

The question ''Why did God create this world?'' with all the sickness's, nightmares etc is somewhat of an ambiguous question to me. You almost have to take no limits as a limit to find the answer to that question.

Why is God God? Why are not we immortal Gods doing whatever fun we want? Why do we have to be vulnerable to disease, pain and suffering? Why the Earth and why this way on the Earth? Why the billions of animal forms and only one intelligent form? Is it really possible to create a perfect world or does it have to have the gamble of duality for a world to exist? All these questions seem somewhat difficult to truly find an outstanding answer from a human perspective.

• //\//\oo//\//\oo Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,767
    Originally posted by gnomexxx

Uhhhmmm...  WTF???  This is not going to drive me to attend church!

And how many weapons have been aimed at people in the name of God, I wonder?

Actually that sign drives the point home: The original purpose of religion was to keep people from behaving badly and enforce some kind of beneficial order as people are driven to all sorts of things on their own accord.

Those of us who don't need an organized morality, however, are excluded.

This is a sequence of characters intended to produce some profound mental effect, but it has failed.

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515
    Originally posted by //\//\oo

Actually that sign drives the point home: The original purpose of religion was to keep people from behaving badly and enforce some kind of beneficial order as people are driven to all sorts of things on their own accord.

Actually religion was created as a way to controll people through fear and Zeolotory.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by HYPERI0N

Originally posted by //\//\oo

Actually religion was created as a way to controll people through fear and Zeolotory.

No, Religion was first created to overcome a basic human fear of the unknown by explaining the unexplainable. If you don't know... God did it. Every religion on the planet has this one principal at it's very core. The use of religion to control the masses through moral codes came much later. The very first religious practices were all centered around ceremonial burial. This was because ancient man had a very basic fear of death and what came after. Death was and still is the ultimate unknown. It was this basic human fear of the unknown that prompted early man to try and prepare their deceased loved ones for the afterlife by burying them in certain ways with certain items from their life. All other religious practices evolved from this.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• XemousXemous Member Posts: 255
    Originally posted by Faxxer

I think it's a great ad,
    I have met tons of people claiming to be athiests,  funny how they find god if they have a life threatening event.  Suddenly God matters to them.
    Clearly someone that made that ad also had a similar experience.
    Fact is, you are going to be thrown into eternity and you can't do a damn thing about it.  That must disturb those that think you get to just live your life as you see fit and will have no consequence in the end.

what makes you think death is an end.

Religious mumbo jumbo makes no sense.  Its NOT okay to kill stone your children to death for disobeying you.  Its OKAY to work on the sunday you wont die.  And no discharge is not an important subject.  And no God wont send out 2 bears to slaughter 42 children for being jerks.

All references are biblical.

• grimweepergrimweeper Member Posts: 2,047

I wont take credit for this point but isnt it amazing how atheists are viewed as ignorant terrible people when christianity teaches that atheists are terrible and atheism is the worst sin possible and that we will burn in hell for eternity?  Pope says atheism has caused some of the greatest trajedies known to man.  (not the best source but you can google pope and atheism together and various articles will appear)  Yet almost all ancient wars and mass killings were in the name of religion. 

I know religion is a great idea, but so is communism, they both work out perfectly on paper but when it comes to practice they arent that great at achieving their goal and tend to backlash.

This is a great comparrison of christian and athiest billboards around the world.  Why do christian billboards make us look so terrible? But atheist billboards try to be as least offensive as possble

The real reason people say christians are sheep is because, things like this occur.  The Chruch relies on fear and misinformation to keep their followers.  The dark ages when almost all knowledge about anything was suppresed was also caused by the church, they simply didnt want people to question them.

Personally i dont know what to believe, its between agnostic and atheist.  I just cant stand the corruption within relgion to actually consider myself a member of any one.  Religion and money are tied for killing the most people and creating the most hate/racism around the world.   And its not just christianity i believe is corrupt, i believe there is some sort of corruption in every religion along the way, so dont take this post as a stab at christianity but religion as a whole.

As a reply to Faxxer saying that christians were always there to help you out.  Well thats because you involve yourself with that group, if all my friends were athiests they would all come visit and help me too.  If you were a free mason, im sure they would come to support and help you out too.  What people tend to not realise is that they miss alot of the big picture.  You belong to a church therefore they are there for you and they all came to support you, but if you were an athiest, athiests would come to support you too, its just that you may not know many athiests or fail to relise they were there for you too.

I have met many doctors that were athiests too, they were just as caring if not more caring then christian doctors.  Why do you even think that people who dont believe in god are bad? We may even value life more then christians because we think there is nothing after it has ended so we must live it up.  Which bring me to the original picture.  Are you saying that because i dont believe in god i dont believe in good morals or in helping other people out?

Also i found this picture really interesting i think everyone should check it out.  (its too big to post here so just visit the link)

img.photobucket.com/albums/v718/grimweeper/1741723.gif

• SlytheSlythe Member UncommonPosts: 952
    Originally posted by Faxxer

I think it's a great ad,
    I have met tons of people claiming to be athiests,  funny how they find god if they have a life threatening event.  Suddenly God matters to them.
    Clearly someone that made that ad also had a similar experience.
    Fact is, you are going to be thrown into eternity and you can't do a damn thing about it.  That must disturb those that think you get to just live your life as you see fit and will have no consequence in the end.

I'm sorry but I just had to reply to this. Wow Faxxer, I haven't been to this site in a while but I see you are still your same old self.  I'm an Atheist and I take great offense to what you said there. I'm going to be "thrown into eternity" because I don't follow the religion that YOU choose?

Which I might add, btw, was a religion basically stolen from many other religions.  If you do some research, you will find some eerily similar things that these religions share, which were established religions BEFORE Christianity was around.

But I expect that the Christians in this thread will, as usual, refute what I said by checking their preferred religious website and spouting some lines from the Bible or from some Conservative mumbo jumbo.

I HATE the high and mighty attitude that religious people (ESPECIALLY born-again Christians) have against those of us who choose not to believe in some 2000+ year old science fiction book where people can live for 800 years and a zombie rises from the dead.

• MyrdekMyrdek Member Posts: 346

This ad becomes pretty funny when you consider that studies have shown religious people more likely to commit crimes...

www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article571206.ece

“In general, higher rates of belief in and worship of a creator correlate with higher rates of homicide, juvenile and early adult mortality, STD infection rates, teen pregnancy and abortion in the prosperous democracies."

and counties with the highest rates of Atheism/Agnosticism are the least violent and have the best quality of life. Then again, denial is an extremely powerful tool for religious people. When your raised in a bubble and not allowed different viewpoint and your not even allowed to question anything then what do you expect?

What we should do for those who want to believe the earth is 6000 years old, kill doctors and say scientists are heathens, is forbid the use of any technological advancement. You don't want to agree with science and follow an invisible being? Then you can't use guns, cars, computers, television etc. etc. etc.

Let them live like the primitive beings that they are

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by Myrdek

This ad becomes pretty funny when you consider that studies have shown religious people more likely to commit crimes...
    www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article571206.ece
    “In general, higher rates of belief in and worship of a creator correlate with higher rates of homicide, juvenile and early adult mortality, STD infection rates, teen pregnancy and abortion in the prosperous democracies."

and counties with the highest rates of Atheism/Agnosticism are the least violent and have the best quality of life. Then again, denial is an extremely powerful tool for religious people. When your raised in a bubble and not allowed different viewpoint and your not even allowed to question anything then what do you expect?
    What we should do for those who want to believe the earth is 6000 years old, kill doctors and say scientists are heathens, is forbid the use of any technological advancement. You don't want to agree with science and follow an invisible being? Then you can't use guns, cars, computers, television etc. etc. etc.
    Let them live like the primitive beings that they are

They already do, They call themselves Amish.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• EronakisEronakis Member UncommonPosts: 2,248

So.. I know I am probably going to get made fun of and the atheists will dwell in this fact and say I told you so but it's stil not going to change my belief system. So I have been going to this college group thing at church. Man, do i feel isolated there, its a horrible feeling. Everyone has their own little cliques. It's like that everywhere. The real question is, Why are people just bastards all the danm time?

• ThrakkThrakk Member Posts: 1,226
    Originally posted by Eronakis

So.. I know I am probably going to get made fun of and the atheists will dwell in this fact and say I told you so but it's stil not going to change my belief system. So I have been going to this college group thing at church. Man, do i feel isolated there, its a horrible feeling. Everyone has their own little cliques. It's like that everywhere. The real question is, Why are people just bastards all the danm time?

hey, church cliques make me feel unique too. it's a good thing feeling out of place among some people who just seem so damn common. bastards! why can't they be funky as us.

• EnkinduEnkindu Member Posts: 1,098

Naw man.. I'd wager your average atheisist is a lot more open and accepting than your average christian.  The don't really have a "clique" to belong to.  No one is gonna make fun of you here.

Every "atheist" I know pretty much bases their behavior on compassion and reason.  Personally I beleive in kindness just because it makes sense. 

Don't waste your time trying to "get in" with people that enjoy being exclusive just because they can... they are generally pretty shallow and insecure.

Keep your eyes open and you'll find good, honest people in lots of places you wouldn't expect.

deviliscious: (PS. I have been told that when I use scientific language, it does not make me sound more intelligent, it only makes me sound like a jackass. It makes me appear that I am not knowledgable enough in the subject I am discussing to be able to translate it for people outside the field to understand. Some advice you might consider as well)

• Shiva_ShadowShiva_Shadow Member Posts: 216
    Originally posted by Enkindu

Naw man.. I'd wager your average atheisist is a lot more open and accepting than your average christian.  The don't really have a "clique" to belong to.  No one is gonna make fun of you here.

Every "atheist" I know pretty much bases their behavior on compassion and reason.  Personally I beleive in kindness just because it makes sense. 

Don't waste your time trying to "get in" with people that enjoy being exclusive just because they can... they are generally pretty shallow and insecure.

Keep your eyes open and you'll find good, honest people in lots of places you wouldn't expect.

Could not have said that any better myself, especially the part about shallow people.  ^^