Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If God Doesn't Matter ???

gnomexxxgnomexxx Member Posts: 2,920

Uhhhmmm...  WTF???  This is not going to drive me to attend church!

And how many weapons have been aimed at people in the name of God, I wonder?

===============================

Comments

• SabiancymSabiancym Member UncommonPosts: 3,150

What is the goal of that sign?  To warn people about Atheists because apparently they walk around shooting everyone?

• MunkiMunki Member CommonPosts: 2,128
    Originally posted by Sabiancym

What is the goal of that sign?  To warn people about Atheists because apparently they walk around shooting everyone?

Im dangerous like that.

after 6 or so years, I had to change it a little...

• Shiva_ShadowShiva_Shadow Member Posts: 216

That is so F'ed up I don't even know where to begin.  <sigh>  I weep for humanity.

I think it is just a sad commentary on society as a whole, that the church going society has to resort to that kind scare tactics so they can put butts in the pews so they can guilt money into their pockets.  And that is essentially and without contradiction EXACTLY what that banner is saying.  'If you won't come pay for your guilt than we'll scare you into doing it.'  There is no arguing against that point.  That banner only reinforces my religious views that I have had for 20 years, and I let that view speak for itself in my direct answer to the question posed by that banner.

If you think that, than no your god doesn't care about me, becase I don't care about your god, you pandering, moronic, idiotic, money-grubbing, bottom-feeders.

• FaxxerFaxxer Member Posts: 3,247

I think it's a great ad,

I have met tons of people claiming to be athiests,  funny how they find god if they have a life threatening event.  Suddenly God matters to them.

Clearly someone that made that ad also had a similar experience.

Fact is, you are going to be thrown into eternity and you can't do a damn thing about it.  That must disturb those that think you get to just live your life as you see fit and will have no consequence in the end.

Originally posted by Shiva_Shadow

That is so F'ed up I don't even know where to begin.  <sigh>  I weep for humanity.
    I think it is just a sad commentary on society as a whole, that the church going society has to resort to that kind scare tactics so they can put butts in the pews so they can guilt money into their pockets.  And that is essentially and without contradiction EXACTLY what that banner is saying.  'If you want come pay for your guilt than we'll scare you into doing it.'  There is no arguing against that point.  That banner only reinforces my religious views that I have had for 20 years, and I let that view speak for itself in my direct answer to the question posed by that banner.

I dunno, I seem to find myself is situations like that all the time...

now that I think of it, that does kinda look like me in the picture...

Originally posted by Faxxer

I think it's a great ad,
    I have met tons of people claiming to be athiests,  funny how they find god if they have a life threatening event.  Suddenly God matters to them.
    Fact is, you are going to be thrown into eternity and you can't do a damn thing about it.  That must disturb those that think you get to just live your life as you see fit and will have no consequence in the end.

Did they have a flashback as well, followed by some "revelation" music... 

I think I know which movie your talking about.

• upallnightupallnight Member Posts: 1,154

At the same time they say people like me don't matter to God.  They even can quote scripture they say calls me an abomination. 

Such kindness and compassion they're always showing through their interpretations. 

= 

--------------------------------------
    image image

• gnomexxxgnomexxx Member Posts: 2,920

I think it's a great ad,

No, YOU disturb us.  Us, the people who are honest and admit that we have questions about religion.  The people who don't feel like we need to fake believing in something in order to fit into some societal majority driven mold.

Christianity teaches not to bear false witness.  Yet I see it going on all the time in your camps.  And when someone is honest enough to admit that they have a doubt or a reason to not believe, the other side self-gratifyingly reminds us of how we just haven't tried to trick ourselves enough.  Or that we're just too stupid to see.  Or we haven't lied to our self about how we feel enough and are in turn going to spend eternity burning.

There is no doubt in my mind that if 99% of these people were born in a different country that has a majority following a different religion they would follow that countries religion.  I am sure of that because most of these people I've met are simply just taking the easy route.  They question nothing because for them not to feel secure and belong is much worse of a trial for them than asking questions. 

===============================

No, YOU disturb us. Us, the people who are honest and admit that we have questions about religion. The people who don't feel like we need to fake believing in something in order to fit into some societal majority driven mold.

Christianity teaches not to bear false witness. Yet I see it going on all the time in your camps. And when someone is honest enough to admit that they have a doubt or a reason to not believe, the other side self-gratifyingly reminds us of how we just haven't tried to trick ourselves enough. Or that we're just too stupid to see. Or we haven't lied to our self about how we feel enough and are in turn going to spend eternity burning.

There is no doubt in my mind that if 99% of these people were born in a different country that has a majority following a different religion they would follow that countries religion. I am sure of that because most of these people I've met are simply just taking the easy route. They question nothing because for them not to feel secure and belong is much worse of a trial for them than asking questions.

You rock gnomexxx, enough said.

• porgieporgie Member Posts: 1,516
    Originally posted by gnomexxx

I think it's a great ad,

No, YOU disturb us.  Us, the people who are honest and admit that we have questions about religion.  The people who don't feel like we need to fake believing in something in order to fit into some societal majority driven mold.

Christianity teaches not to bear false witness.  Yet I see it going on all the time in your camps.  And when someone is honest enough to admit that they have a doubt or a reason to not believe, the other side self-gratifyingly reminds us of how we just haven't tried to trick ourselves enough.  Or that we're just too stupid to see.  Or we haven't lied to our self about how we feel enough and are in turn going to spend eternity burning.

There is no doubt in my mind that if 99% of these people were born in a different country that has a majority following a different religion they would follow that countries religion.  I am sure of that because most of these people I've met are simply just taking the easy route.  They question nothing because for them not to feel secure and belong is much worse of a trial for them than asking questions. 

Excellent points.

Unfortunately, if you have a doubt you are suddenly chastised.  I guess their theory is that if someone doesn't legitimately believe then they should go to plan B; ostracize and scare the hell of the doubter so they'll fake conformity.

Thank God (yes God) that I found a church that welcomes the questions. 

-----------------------
    </OBAMA>

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

I think you should include the people who kill in the name of god as people who think god doesn't matter.  They are breaking the very basic teachings of most mono-diety religions for a superficial reason like how god should be worshipped.  Whats more ironic is that the Catholic, Muslim, Jewish, and their deviations god are the same.  They just differ on who they think the messiah is.

• ThrakkThrakk Member Posts: 1,226

I think it's a great ad,

that is not a fact, that is a belief (eternity - heaven and hell). if 'eternity' was never mentioned in the bible or any other religion, those religions may have well died out a long time ago.

• JeffsJeffs Member Posts: 141

So basically it's saying the only reason that all christians don't go around raping and shooting everyone else is because they're afraid of god not approving. Nice one guys

• clwoodsclwoods Member Posts: 625

One today.

Originally posted by clwoods

One today.

ROFLMAO, Kudos to you, it would be two, but I am all out of bullets.

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154
    Originally posted by clwoods

One today.

And Nothing Of Value was Lost. -Critic

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

Kill a doctor.. yea that will help with the healthcare problems >.<

Such disgusting people who think they can take somebody elses life. How Arrogant is that.

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

Get baptized, go to church, give to charity, live a moral life, say your prayers at night, still contract cancerous tumors the size of baseballs that God refuses to heal despite the prayers of your neighbors and family, die a painful meaningless death.

Yeah, sounds like your God really loves you... en stuff....

Originally posted by Jimmy_Scythe

Get baptized, go to church, give to charity, live a moral life, say your prayers at night, still contract cancerous tumors the size of baseballs that God refuses to heal despite the prayers of your neighbors and family, die a painful meaningless death.

Oh, I could almost fall in love with you for this post alone ^^.

What I object to boils down to the fact that all church goers assume they have the moral high ground just because they waste their sunday mornings being told why they are going to hell.  And then those same ppl can just brush off the fact how many of their number rape little kids on their sunday afternoons.

I don't object to God, I don't have a serious issue with some organized religions, but I get VERY offended because some ppl assume just because they put a name to their faith, makes them think that just because I won't do the same I am going straight to hell.  As Jimmy pointed out get off your damn high horses before god decides to knock you off of it.

• murdera2k6murdera2k6 Member UncommonPosts: 474

What I object to boils down to the fact that all church goers assume they have the moral high ground just because they waste their sunday mornings being told why they are going to hell.  And then those same ppl can just brush off the fact how many of their number rape little kids on their sunday afternoons.

I don't object to God, I don't have a serious issue with some organized religions, but I get VERY offended because some ppl assume just because they put a name to their faith, makes them think that just because I won't do the same I am going straight to hell.  As Jimmy pointed out get off your damn high horses before god decides to knock you off of it.

Steady now, you don't want to get over-excited and shoot someone now do we?

"If they can make Penicillin out of mouldy bread, they can sure make something out of you," - Muhammed Ali

Originally posted by murdera2k6

I was considering it ^^.  Sorry about the spam post.

Originally posted by murdera2k6

I was considering it ^^.  Sorry about the spam post.

*puts away his gun*

• EnkinduEnkindu Member Posts: 1,098

I think it's great if people have faith in god.

As long as they shut the hell up about it, don't try to convince other people that "their god" is the only one, and don't pass judgement on other people for having different belief systems.

Religion makes people feel better about themselves and their world.  Unfortunately what religion is now EFFECTIVELY for humanity is a mandate for people to kill eachother guilt-free because it is the "will of god."

If we end up exterminating ourselves as a species, make sure you thank every "religious" person you know... regardless of what god they believe in.

deviliscious: (PS. I have been told that when I use scientific language, it does not make me sound more intelligent, it only makes me sound like a jackass. It makes me appear that I am not knowledgable enough in the subject I am discussing to be able to translate it for people outside the field to understand. Some advice you might consider as well)

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

This is nothing new. Religion has always used fear and intimidation to not only recruit new members but to keep their current members in line. After all what is the basis of all religion? A basic human fear of the unknown. Religion has used this basic human fear since it's inception. In fact it's the basis that all religion is founded on. Religion is used to explain the unexplainable. If you don't know... God did it. It's an easy catch all and humans have always been known to take the path of least resistance.

I once got into a debate with a Catholic friend of mine over her religion actually being polytheistic. After she got totally flustered because she couldn't rationally argue any of my points she ended it by saying, "You think too much to be religious.". To which I replied, "Thanks, I think thats the nicest thing you've ever said to me!". - LOL

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

Originally posted by Brenelael

This is nothing new. Religion has always used fear and intimidation to not only recruit new members but to keep their current members in line. After all what is the basis of all religion? A basic human fear of the unknown. Religion has used this basic human fear since it's inception. In fact it's the basis that all religion is founded on. Religion is used to explain the unexplainable. If you don't know... God did it. It's an easy catch all and humans have always been known to take the path of least resistance.

I once got into a debate with a Catholic friend of mine over her religion actually being polytheistic. After she got totally flustered because she couldn't rationally argue any of my points she ended it by saying, "You think too much to be religious.". To which I replied, "Thanks, I think thats the nicest thing you've ever said to me!". - LOL

Bren

SO VERY TRUE, but just because it's always been doesn't mean it always has to be.  I just think a gigantic banner ad in downtown with that image and that message is going over the proverbial line.  Afterall isn't it Christianity that is suppose to teach love thy neighbor, turn the other cheek, and all that other stuff.  They claim some kind of divine guidance in advertising the 'Lord' but they do it in the most base manner, sinking to lowest lvl they can reach.  That is hardly a behavior that encourages the precepts of forgiveness from those with 'the moral high ground'.  Path of least resistance is not what I want from a religion, that would be like giving the child-molesting priests a free pass into heaven.

p.s. Lol, I would have to say the same thing as you. ^^