Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Predictions from a veteran gamer

13»

Comments

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666
    Originally posted by pencilrick

If this game provides a ruthless world with freedom and consequences (and barring it's not buggy), then is should be a major hit.
    However, if it's a linear, hold-your-hand, please-follow-the-storyline, quest-laden crapfest, then it will fail like AOC and Warhammer, and many others.

I agree totally. I fear that it will become like your second paragraph because if it does, i will move on and not even try the game and wait for mortal online.

Im not sure since its been a long time ago, but i heard that they are more focus on pve and thats mean grinding for me. FE is not for me and too bad i wont be able to rp an other mad max.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367

It might do pretty well if they execute it right. It also depends on other upcoming sci-fi games.

Success, not anything like WoW, but if it makes it own back and some profit in 2-5 years it's decent. They aren't big boys around market, so they shouldn't aim to anything very high.

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    Originally posted by Laserwolf

My prediction is that the game will fail because it is an indie MMORPG. 10 years ago this game would have been a big hit, but not now. Now it takes major dough. I love the idea, look, setting, and mechanics of the game but it will absolutely fail. I really wish I was wrong, but I'm not.

EVE Online

Puzzle Pirates

DOFUS

The list of successful MMOs that have broken both records and rules is mostly indie developers. "Absolutely fail" is a strong stance to take there. :)

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • jimsmith08jimsmith08 Member Posts: 1,039
    Originally posted by LynxJSA

My prediction is that the game will fail because it is an indie MMORPG. 10 years ago this game would have been a big hit, but not now. Now it takes major dough. I love the idea, look, setting, and mechanics of the game but it will absolutely fail. I really wish I was wrong, but I'm not.

EVE Online

Puzzle Pirates

DOFUS

The list of successful MMOs that have broken both records and rules is mostly indie developers. "Absolutely fail" is a strong stance to take there. :)

isnt wizard 101 an indie developed game as well?

• Experimemt13Experimemt13 Member Posts: 188
    Originally posted by jimsmith08

Originally posted by LynxJSA

EVE Online

Puzzle Pirates

DOFUS

isnt wizard 101 an indie developed game as well?

Actually, if you nice folks will just google Icarus Studios and have a long read and put a little thought into it....... I'm thinking you may conclude Icarus isn't exactly matching up with what one expects from the typical "indie" definition... You know, coupla guys and whoever they could scrape together... trying to do the mostly impossible.

They've aparently been around a while... doing???? Hmmm.... They aren't too public about the work they have been doing. Just a bunch of "we did some commercial work, military work, etc.

Seems like they have been busy in "non-entertainment" venues.

And to me, it looks like they are doing things their way, as opposed to following the herd. So it's gonna be interesting to see how it all works out. I know I like what I am seeing.

You just gotta remember what all the "pros" have been presenting us with these past few years... the same old crap! Over and over and over....

• CopelandCopeland Member Posts: 1,955

Everything i've seen so far seems to indicate that although it's an indie title that doesn't necessarily mean it's Darkfail or Dark and light.. Everything i hear is good.

• FluteFlute Member UncommonPosts: 455

Everything I have seen so far of Fallen Earth points to a good successful game.  That should not be mistaken for a massive game that would rival WoW's subscription numbers, rather I think this will be a game that starts ok, gets better over time, and is still growing five years from now.  

The difference between the big publishers and the true Indies is that the big publishers spend a fortune to get a game to market to hit a particular target audience, then it flies or bombs.  The guys who made it typically walk away at or shortly after launch, handing over to a different team, and go on to working designing on the "next best thing."  In contrast, some of the Indies pretty much are the game; they look like they put their heart and soul into it, and they will struggle to keep it flying no matter what.  CCP made a board game to get the money to put EVE online; that's dedication!  The sheer passion for the game also means that if they can keep it in the air, then they will, and if they can they will make it better over time, because of passion, not profit (although that obviously allows them have bigger wings).  For them, success is not merely measured on return on development expenditure - it's measured on long-term player retention, and how good the game is.

If I was working at EIDOS etc, I wouldn't bother trying to develop another "next big thing".  I'd put down some chips in the Indie's corner, and spend the develpment on a cloud computing centre.  The best game, as indicated by palyer demand, gets as many servers as they need, based on player numbers ... there would of course be a small service fee :) 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by cukimunga

I think this game will be one of the better games to come out in a while.

1.Its not another Fantasy game. Im tired of that genre.
    2.Its skill based
    3. Combat isn't auto attack you have to aim where you shoot and can swing for melee.

One thing why I think EVE didn't get so popular is because people just didn't want to look at a ship all day. I know I didn't want to and didn't play the game.

EVE right now is more popular than WAR, AOC or a half a dozen other games.

And CCP has plans to provide avatars for those folks who couldn't enjoy the game without them.

World domination is on the horizon. 

Fallen Earth could easily do the same thing and be considered a decent success, as long as people stop looking at WOW as the benchmark.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GrenadierGrenadier Member Posts: 91

A lot of Eve's slow growing success could be attributed to the sandbox nature of the game. Does Fallen Earth have many sandbox features or is it another pure questing game?

• FluteFlute Member UncommonPosts: 455

It has a lot of sandbox features, and the design would fit a lot more later (such as player structures).  The basic design is not two sides (e.g. Horde v Alliance, or Order v Destruction), but much more blurred... along the lines of EVE in that way.  Time will tell if they can come up with a good politics system (Darfall looks to be ahead on that count), but the basics are there for a great game.  Whether they deliver on that promise is, of course, a different matter - but this is definitely one game I will be keeping an eye on.

• hidden1hidden1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by Flute

It has a lot of sandbox features, and the design would fit a lot more later (such as player structures).  The basic design is not two sides (e.g. Horde v Alliance, or Order v Destruction), but much more blurred... along the lines of EVE in that way.  Time will tell if they can come up with a good politics system (Darfall looks to be ahead on that count), but the basics are there for a great game.  Whether they deliver on that promise is, of course, a different matter - but this is definitely one game I will be keeping an eye on.

After reading the faction summaries, I got the distinct impression that they might go the Neocron route.  In that when you pick a faction, you'll have "friendly," "hostile," and "neutral" players.  It was kind of cool the way they did it.  Also if you went to a friendly faction's controlled town, you'd get some kind of bonus, like +15% to Construct.  I wondering if they'll go that route w/ FE?

• OrthedosOrthedos Member Posts: 1,771

If this game provides a ruthless world with freedom and consequences (and barring it's not buggy), then is should be a major hit.
    However, if it's a linear, hold-your-hand, please-follow-the-storyline, quest-laden crapfest, then it will fail like AOC and Warhammer, and many others.

You are using a lot of adjectives to establish a void statement.

If this game is good, it will sell well.  What makes it a good game? Because it sells well, is popular, is praised by people as good?

Ruthless, freedom, consequences (good or bad?), its perception.  You freedom is not mine.

Maybe you are saying, if this game is to my liking, i should be a major hit.  Yes if it fits your bill, it is a major hit for you.  I do not doubt that.

Linear?  In which dimension? map zones? character progression?

Hold you hands?  You need not follow the hand holding.  Heck, people has worked ways to go around the hand held.  You just need to be creative.

Follow the questline?  You think they will ban you if you do not do the quests?  I have levelled a max alt in WoW not doing any quests, but getting the xp as I level up multiple prof skills.

• hidden1hidden1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by Orthedos

You are using a lot of adjectives to establish a void statement.

If this game is good, it will sell well.  What makes it a good game? Because it sells well, is popular, is praised by people as good?

Ruthless, freedom, consequences (good or bad?), its perception.  You freedom is not mine.

Maybe you are saying, if this game is to my liking, i should be a major hit.  Yes if it fits your bill, it is a major hit for you.  I do not doubt that.

Linear?  In which dimension? map zones? character progression?

Hold you hands?  You need not follow the hand holding.  Heck, people has worked ways to go around the hand held.  You just need to be creative.

Follow the questline?  You think they will ban you if you do not do the quests?  I have levelled a max alt in WoW not doing any quests, but getting the xp as I level up multiple prof skills.

Don't forget, "freedom" and "consequences"?  Not sure where he was going with that.  Seems contradictory.

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

Having actually played the game it has a solid foundation but the controls/combat still needs a lot of work.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• ElGuappoElGuappo Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by UnSub

If this game provides a ruthless world with freedom and consequences (and barring it's not buggy), then is should be a major hit. players will run for the hills.

There, fixed it for you.

Freedom is another term for "you just got ganked by a bigger wolf who is now stealing your stuff". Consequences is another term for "and now that wolf is teabagging you while saying how you enjoy the company of men".

Nicely put and I agree entirely. I'll be playing this pretty much regardless of reviews simply because I love the whole Earth-bound post apocalyptic scenario; I'm fed up to the back teeth with spells and runes and elves and orcs. That would be enough but add in the FPS style of gameplay and I'm eagerly awaiting release, to say the least, and Huxley as well.

As for what design the game follows, that's really kind of an irrelevance to me. What matters is if it's fun to play or not.

The ruptured capillaries in your nose belie the clarity of your wisdom.

• BullocksBullocks Member Posts: 2

Can I refer to myself as an Antique gamer. Having bought a Zx81 when they came out :)

The concept of this game sounds exciting, and some of the comments do make it sound like the type of game I would like to play. I agree the big software houses are going to follow the WOW route, they see a piece of pie and they want a chunk of that.

In my opinion it takes independants to be brave and make the moves. the big companies are full of stuffed corporate suits who look only to the bottom line. If these people had started working with Mr Gates in his early days we would not have windows, too risky.

What I hope for is a successful game, and a large company notice it and start to fund the development team, but allowing them to remain in creative control

• socrates656socrates656 Member Posts: 142

I like ham,