Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

From Age of Conan US Forums : Does AoC have longevity?

Comments

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

What is this radicilous thread trying to say? That two people in US forum think AoC has no future with no other explanation than uhm AION AND CHAMPIONS IS COMING DOOOOM BOOOOM GLOOOOOM

REALITY CHECK

• MENGKESHIMENGKESHI Member Posts: 123

Wow you guys are seriously getting desperate... probably a good sign for the game if this is the best you can come up with these days. (NB at the time of writing this there were 3 posts in linked thread)

• slim26slim26 Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Originally posted by Unfinished

forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php

Ouch.

Ok...Ok. That post on the AoC forum was so stupid and pointless, I can tell it is BS! and so fixed. Look AoC is not going anywhere and no other MMO can even come close to it. Yeah yeah new MMOs are on the way but AoC won't be left behind trust me.

This pointless unforgiven bashing on this awsome game is just out right "disturbing insane, unbelievable mess"

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

my long term opinion is:

best case scenario is that 1.05 will be good and AoC will end up with one populated PvE US server and one well populated PvP server and the game wil retain a fair population on most or all of it's EU servers leveling off at around 50 - 75K worldwide. Worst case is 1.05 will be a disaster and the game will end up as another AO with a 20 or 25 K niche population.

One way or the other the game and the company will be around but will never be the huge hit it was at a launch. 

I miss DAoC

• maniacfoxmaniacfox Member UncommonPosts: 171

If Anarchy Online is anything to go by I think AoC will be around for a long time to come.

Recent announcements from Funcom about The Secret World as well as F2P games they are looking at developing suggest to me that they will try to build up a stable of games that generate a moderate level of income each rather than one smash hit MMO. In the current MMO climate I think that makes sense.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by maniacfox

If Anarchy Online is anything to go by I think AoC will be around for a long time to come.

Recent announcements from Funcom about The Secret World as well as F2P games they are looking at developing suggest to me that they will try to build up a stable of games that generate a moderate level of income each rather than one smash hit MMO. In the current MMO climate I think that makes sense.

Works for SoE and NCSoft

I miss DAoC

• finaticdfinaticd Member Posts: 843

It seems like it will be similar to AO with 25k or so population, going by the few servers available that is probably the current active playerbase....with another 50k or so people that are just subscribed and don't play often if at all.

The big difference is it will take much more resources to develop new content so after the expansion, updated and new content will probably be very dismal in comparison to AO. Back in the day development was much easier, EQ had an expansion that usually had way more content than what is in AoC today, every year....Back in the day content was easy, the issue with AoC is being graphics intense will realy limit what can be done as most people are not going to stand for a 200 GB game on their hard drive and it takes longer to create anything in the AoC world....BTW Expect mad remeshed textures and zones if they release stuff after the expansion.

Funcom has reviewed all of its assets relevant for
    impairment testing. This process has led to
    recognition of an impairment loss of around
    3,1 MUSD for Age of Conan due to a decrease in
    numbers of subscribers for the game. Funcom Q4 10 report.
    http://forums.ageofconan.com/showpost.php?p=2926123&postcount=7 500 mains/alts on Tyranny in past 30 days - instead of merge servers let's open a new PvP server, again! http://forums-eu.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=106427

• Capn23Capn23 Member Posts: 1,529

Lol...I love it when people use the excuse that other big AAA MMOs are coming soon and Funcom won't be able to compete with them...

what makes you think for a second that those MMOs won't end up like all the other post-WoW MMOs?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Guys! I'm hopelessly lost in a mountain of mole hills! Them damn moles!

• SkeeterxiSkeeterxi Member Posts: 265
    Originally posted by Capn23

Lol...I love it when people use the excuse that other big AAA MMOs are coming soon and Funcom won't be able to compete with them...

what makes you think for a second that those MMOs won't end up like all the other post-WoW MMOs?

Well for one, people are already playing Aion. I can't speak for the others.

• baconator616baconator616 Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by Skeeterxi

3.5 million people to be exact

• CrashloopCrashloop Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by baconator616

And how many of them are from the western part of MMO world?

Playing: Battlefield - Bad company (Xbox360) Arma2, DFO (PC)
    On my radar: TSW, MO
    MMO's played: SWG (pre cu/cu), WoW, AoC, WAR, DFO, Planetside
    MMO's that I have tested: Lotro, L2, Aion, Ryzom

Originally posted by Crashloop

quite a few actually, I have been hearing of an know of people who are buying the asian version to play it here. It's supposedly the real deal in terms of a potential WoW-killer. 

• CrashloopCrashloop Member Posts: 885

There is ways to play it here even tho it isn't released yet, you have to change the language files etc  but it is possible, and you play on chinese servers so far afaik. will be interesting to see when it is released here tho to see how things will be then.

Playing: Battlefield - Bad company (Xbox360) Arma2, DFO (PC)
    On my radar: TSW, MO
    MMO's played: SWG (pre cu/cu), WoW, AoC, WAR, DFO, Planetside
    MMO's that I have tested: Lotro, L2, Aion, Ryzom

• qbangy32qbangy32 Member Posts: 681

quite a few actually, I have been hearing of an know of people who are buying the asian version to play it here. It's supposedly the real deal in terms of a potential WoW-killer. 

When will ppl learn, there is no MMO out there that has yet killed off another MMO, it's nothing but wishful thinking.

Look up your MMO history, EQ1 by all accounts has died a hundred deaths by now yet is still kicking, WoW has apparently lost it's crown countless times aswell yet still remains the top selling MMO.

Aion is doing very well, it may even surpass WoW's subscriber numbers, then again it may not but I'm sure the game will be around for years to come, but it certainly isn't going to kill off any of the previous MMO's.

Originally posted by qbangy32

Well for one, people are already playing Aion. I can't speak for the others.

quite a few actually, I have been hearing of an know of people who are buying the asian version to play it here. It's supposedly the real deal in terms of a potential WoW-killer.

When will ppl learn, there is no MMO out there that has yet killed off another MMO, it's nothing but wishful thinking.

Look up your MMO history, EQ1 by all accounts has died a hundred deaths by now yet is still kicking, WoW has apparently lost it's crown countless times aswell yet still remains the top selling MMO.
    Aion is doing very well, it may even surpass WoW's subscriber numbers, then again it may not but I'm sure the game will be around for years to come, but it certainly isn't going to kill off any of the previous MMO's.

You're being too literal... people generally refer to "Killers" as the game which displaces another as the top whatever (shooter/mmo/platform game etc.). Not a game that actually forces another to shut down
  • SabradinSabradin Member Posts: 772

if 80 content comes out i'l play until something better comes out, like star wards tor

Just when you think you have all the answers, I change the questions.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    Originally posted by Sabradin

if 80 content comes out i'l play until something better comes out, like star wards tor

Tarantia Commons is a whole level 80 odd zone, there are more level 80's there in mobs that ones just under.

Every single update for the past few have made a focus on doing things when you are level 80.

It is easily safe to say that this focus has been visible and tangible for players from the raids to quests to crafting and the foucs on sieging with plenty of fixes.

That focus has not let up in my eyes with patch 1.05 incoming there is some major devotion put in for the higher levels.

Seeing as though the majority of players are not level 80, there is plenty of community talk in game and out from people happy that when they get their there is something to do.

If Funcom was not focused in this area, they why ask the community to come test raids? to come give feedback on them?

It is just one facet of the whole.

I would also like to add, what about the cities? all player made. A lot of the tools are there and what is crazy is that a load of people have never been in a siege or know what it takes to get to that stage from the defending point of view.

• AshenHandAshenHand Member Posts: 40
    Originally posted by AmazingAvery

Tarantia Commons is a whole level 80 odd zone, there are more level 80's there in mobs that ones just under.

Every single update for the past few have made a focus on doing things when you are level 80.

It is easily safe to say that this focus has been visible and tangible for players from the raids to quests to crafting and the foucs on sieging with plenty of fixes.

That focus has not let up in my eyes with patch 1.05 incoming there is some major devotion put in for the higher levels.

Seeing as though the majority of players are not level 80, there is plenty of community talk in game and out from people happy that when they get their there is something to do.

If Funcom was not focused in this area, they why ask the community to come test raids? to come give feedback on them?

Huh?  Can you run that by me again?

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    Originally posted by AshenHand

Originally posted by AmazingAvery

Huh?  Can you run that by me again?

All the past patches have had some inclusion of something to do at endgame, whether it is whole new dungeons, whole wings of raiding, solo instances, siege fixes, crafting fixes, there has been some form of focus here and this is not letting up.

It is all in the patch notes.

• UnfinishedUnfinished Member Posts: 881

It's nice to see FC left the thread up instead of 'Removing-Not Deleting' it. They need this kind of feedback. Syncophantic fans / volunteers aren't willing to bring it to them.

The title of this thread 'longevity' i took to mean the player's point of view toward maintaining a long term subscription, not 'will the servers go dark' (Any game can skeleton crew, bi-annual micro-update and pay the bills, well ... except the Matrix Online, no longer enuff population to warrant the licensing fees I suspect )

Avery's 'majority of players are not level 80'  statement is correct, the majority of the folks who hit level cap no longer subscribe. (hard to pretend that not the case when so many folks on that forum mention that issue specifically)

What I found most ineteresting were the folks who were 'bidding time' in AoC until something new comes along. And it was odd not to see atleast one or 2 the expected "AOC 4 Life, best game Evah!" who usualy patrol that board.

Seems like a lot of the Die-hard talk has died.

Side note: A lot of AoC fans seem rather new to the MMO genre, one in that thread described AoC as a "Sandbox", another was chiding folks as being 'too serious' for wanting to excel in all areas of the game (yes he's a  RP'r)

• TheRavenOfDeathTheRavenOfDeath Member UncommonPosts: 14

So what is it you were actually trying say in this post mate? Im a bit confused.

quite a few actually, I have been hearing of an know of people who are buying the asian version to play it here. It's supposedly the real deal in terms of a potential WoW-killer.

You're being too literal... people generally refer to "Killers" as the game which displaces another as the top whatever (shooter/mmo/platform game etc.). Not a game that actually forces another to shut down

In that case the words "Future #1 MMO" should suffice rather than trying to imply a game has been "Killed" off wouldn't it, it would clear up any confusion.

In that case the words "Future #1 MMO" should suffice rather than trying to imply a game has been "Killed" off wouldn't it, it would clear up any confusion.

Tell you what, I'll let you take your request for a vocabulary change to the MMO community at large :)
  • RoleplayingRoleplaying Member Posts: 7

Tell you what, I'll let you take your request for a vocabulary change to the MMO community at large :)

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/feature/3092/page/2

I should be more obvious with my sarcasm next time.