Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard, why are you better than EQ2?

So I'm torn between starting up EQ2 and Vanguard, convince me yours is better. :-)

I want good community, casual RP, good PvE without 8 hour raids, grouping more than solo focus, great graphics.

UO: 2.5 yrs
EQ: 1 yr
WoW: > 1 yr
Eve: 6 months (currently playing)
Others/betas: 8 months
---
AMD Phenom II X4 940
Superclocked GTX 260 (216)
4GB 1006 DDR2
22" LCD

Comments

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLjJnAGcQoo

This video explains briefly allot about VG

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• MidniteHowlMidniteHowl Member UncommonPosts: 149
    Originally posted by daeath

So I'm torn between starting up EQ2 and Vanguard, convince me yours is better. :-)
    I want good community, casual RP, good PvE without 8 hour raids, grouping more than solo focus, great graphics.

I think you pretty much described both, and I've played both. The one I stayed with is Vanguard, but that was my personal preference because it had more EQ1 feel than EQ2 did, and I was a fan of EQ1. So I would say Vanguard if it was me, but heck, it's a coin flip for what you are looking for in a game.

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412
    Originally posted by daeath

Vanguard is a much much better game than EQ2.

The core systems of Vanguard, combat, classes and crafting are wonderful but the game is far from complete. Lacking in finish, polish, and fluff.

EQ2 is the exact opposite. Its core systems of combat, classes and crafting are flawed and mediocre at best but it is a complete game. It has lots of polish, content and fluff.

From an endgame perspective EQ2 is much better. Much more raid content and a lot less bugged raid content. Plus there is a commitment to developing more new raid content. Something that cannot be said for Vanguard.

One other advantage EQ2 has over Vanguard is that it has a dev team and is actually being funded. EQ2 continually puts out new content. Vanguard has a skeleton dev team that can barely keep the game running which puts out almost no new content. Vanguard's only purpose appears to be a marketing base for EQ2 players and another game on the station pass.

Both games have super fast leveling. In vanguard one can level 1-50 in less than 5 days played without much trouble.

Vanguard is a much much better game than EQ2 but if I had to recomend one fo the two it would be EQ2 as EQ2 has funding and a future. But I would suggest neither. What SOE has done to Vanguard is criminal. Better to not give them any money.

To give you an idea how much (or little) new content SOE has added to Vanguard in over 2 years I will list it all for you. Its about as much as a normal game adds in 1-2 months.

1. Lvl 12 quest line in Ksvari gulch

2. Raid Dungeon and Overland raid mobs

3. Griffon questline

4. More overland raid mobs

5. Reworked faction adding faction mounts and faction gear.

6. IoD

7. SoD Daily Quests and BoD weapon questline.

8. PoTA dungoen along with new lvl increase to 55

That is it. Nothing more. No other new quests. No other new zones. No other new content. Oh I forgot something. Bugs they have added a ton of bugs. SOEs 1st patch in 2007 added a severe CTD and performance (possibly intentional as by fixing the bug they could claim to have improved performance) bugs that took them 3 months to fix. Almost every new patch has added many more bugs than actual content. Not minor bugs but major bugs that has made raiding difficult to impossible and one that severely effected crafting. There has not been a single patch that has not had severe game stopping bugs.

I don't mean to steer you toward EQ2 as EQ2 IMO is more flash over substance while VG has little flash but a lot of substance. It is just sad what SOE has done to to the game. Yes they have kept it alive but only on life support. VG is worth playing and experiencing. I just would not say it is a long term option. But then again what game is.

• daeathdaeath Member Posts: 8

Has anyone played Vanguard under Win 7 64 bit? Does it have weather? It's what I'll be running on my new system as soon as it gets here. Right now I've got it on my old system Win 7 is good, Station Launcher hates it b/c it insists on running at something above administrator.... (either that or my permissions are messed up in Win 7, but I'm logged in as admin & have to right click & run station launcher as admin, so weird, but hey its beta right)....

Does this game really have a future? I was so excited b/c Vanguard offered so much, but it wasn't done well when it came out (crafting was fun though). How's PvP? I played on the free for all server the only thing annoying about PvP was the fact that I could be attacked in my home city & the guards did nothing. I don't need a "guard whack" like in UO, but at least a response to the fact that one of their own citizens was being jumped in broad daylight in the city should have been in (for realism if nothing else).

UO: 2.5 yrs
    EQ: 1 yr
    WoW: > 1 yr
    Eve: 6 months (currently playing)
    Others/betas: 8 months
    ---
    AMD Phenom II X4 940
    Superclocked GTX 260 (216)
    4GB 1006 DDR2
    22" LCD

• shakermaker0shakermaker0 Member UncommonPosts: 194

EQ2 and Vanguard dont bring anything espically new to the table, but they do differ in what they copy.

Vanguard is a very good sequel to Everquest 1. It builds a little upon its foundations but its still firmly a spirtual succesor to EQ1. For that I think its very good because, I frikking loved EQ1.

Everquest 2 (now I would like to make clear that I played 6 months at launch, the beta and in  December 2008 untill around two months). Brings nothing really that new and in short is a bad and cheaper version of WoW. Now I am aware that they launched within around a week of each other and believe me, I as an EQ vet was all for EQ2, wanted to love it. But its in questionable just a developer attempt at the next gen of mmorpg that Blizzard did better. WoW as a game works better and thats why its more popular, despite it reaching mainstream culture, WoW remains the best mmo and the people who hate and will say im an idiot for thinking so are just the type of people who hate it because it is popular, because it is great, because it does everything every other mmo does but better and with more style and substance behind.

Now im not a WoW fan boy, I play it on and off for months at a time because everything gets boring, thats why im trying Vanguard at the moment because its new, its fresh and at the moment it seems like its got some life left in it. Im a veteran MMO player, I dont just jump on one MMO and stick my fanboy hat on, i actually consider and think why I like it and why I dont like a game, i dont blindly sit there saying this is crap this is crap this crap and my game that i've stuck with for 2 years is best of them all.

• TruethTrueth Member Posts: 287

Vanguard is better because I can use the cash shop on all the servers, not just one like in EQ2.

• HoobleyHoobley Member Posts: 421

Does EQII still have the whole instanced zone thing? It's been a long time since I played, but that was the thing that turned me off it.

You're talking to someone and saying 'hey, I'm right by the bridge of this river to the north of the town' and the other guy says 'oh hey, me too!'... but you can't see each other, then 'oh sorry my friend, I'm in instance 4 of the world, seems like you're in instance 2'... - Break my immersion more please.

If it's changed then that's great, if not then I'd never choose EQII.