Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aion has 3.5 million subscribers

GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

NCsoft knows how to develop a successful game, as Aion has recently reached the 3.5 million subscribers milestone according to IGN.

Interesting to note is that Aion is the 3rd NCsoft game to have over 1 million subscribers (and  2 million and 3 million....)

uk.pc.ign.com/articles/985/985368p1.html

Aion is a massively multiplayer online role playing game developed by NCsoft, and since its launch in Asia in March, has built up 3.5 million subscribers. The game apparently has 1,500 story-driven quests, with players fighting in an "epic celestial war", with a choice between two divine factions: the Asmodians and the Elyos.

Comments

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

But a Korean grinder like Aion will never get more than 200K subs in the EU and NA combined! .... right?

Sorry, that was a joke. I've read too much of that kind of uninformed prejudice on Aion myself, really.

I really hope they will do excellent here in the 'west' as well. The more success stories, the more likely that other mmorpg developers get their projects funded.

And heck ... our societies are built on free market economies with loads of competition in about every niche you can imagine.

Huzah! for competition between successfull mmorpgs! ... Huzah! ... Huzah!

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Not interesting.  It was expected for AION to reach around 4 million subscribers.

Originally posted by Cleffy

Not interesting.  It was expected for AION to reach around 4 million subscribers.

They will reach that number even with two fingers up their nose while bunnyhopping blindfolded of a staircase.

• Scubie67Scubie67 Member UncommonPosts: 462

Ill probably give it a try depending on how Mortal Online turns out

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Again, they count subscribers differently than here in the west.  What it really does is greatly inflate the numbers.  So while not disputing the numbers, you have to  view them with the knowledge that they they buy game time rather than monthly subscriptions and they count everyone who has signed up to play whether they have active game time or not.

On that note, I think this game will do better in the west than many think.  Without doubt the best game by NCSoft to date.

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842
    Originally posted by DarkPony

But a Korean grinder like Aion will never get more than 200K subs in the EU and NA combined! .... right?

Sorry, that was a joke. I've read too much of that kind of uninformed prejudice on Aion myself, really.
    I really hope they will do excellent here in the 'west' as well. The more success stories, the more likely that other mmorpg developers get their projects funded.
    And heck ... our societies are built on free market economies with loads of competition in about every niche you can imagine.

The thing is, this game is built with an asian theme but more of a western feel for leveling. You can quest up to level cap if you want to, and this game has quite a lot of quests that are not only static, but dynamic also. Most of the fun will come out of the Abyss though, as it is very entertaining and almost DaoC RvR type feel. This is the one game I have to say, NCSoft could garner a lot of western subs with and could be a million+ hit here.

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Again, they count subscribers differently than here in the west.  What it really does is greatly inflate the numbers.  So while not disputing the numbers, you have to  view them with the knowledge that they they buy game time rather than monthly subscriptions and they count everyone who has signed up to play whether they have active game time or not.
    On that note, I think this game will do better in the west than many think.  Without doubt the best game by NCSoft to date.

Not much different than most of AOC's and WAR's 'numbers' we got then. Or am I wrong?

I agree that they will do very nicely here as well. I think they have pure gold in their hands considering the huge amount of players in a relative short amount of time. If you look at other successfull mmorpgs you see that numbers can increase considerably over time. Project that on Aion's current 3,5 million(ish) and we have a true contender to the throne.

I think maybe a lot of people are a little too sceptic about such a success in the east; as if there isn' t much relevance in that.

But so far I have read overwhelmingly positive things about Aion from westerners playing it on Chinese servers. We shall seeeth how this one is doing in a year from now. I predict between 5 and 7 million worldwide.

Originally posted by mackdawg19

Originally posted by DarkPony

The thing is, this game is built with an asian theme but more of a western feel for leveling. You can quest up to level cap if you want to, and this game has quite a lot of quests that are not only static, but dynamic also. Most of the fun will come out of the Abyss though, as it is very entertaining and almost DaoC RvR type feel. This is the one game I have to say, NCSoft could garner a lot of western subs with and could be a million+ hit here.

Aye, that is my impression as well. Though I'm more looking forward to 'rifting'  than pvp' ing in a designated zone. Nothing beats the rush given by the possibility of pvp when you least expect it, whether I am the victim or the perp.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Eh what? I don't think anybody expected Aion to reach 3.5 million subscribers this fast, not even NCsoft as they keep adding more and more servers, this is a brand new IP that is not build on an already existing IP.

3.5 million subscribers in this short time frame in only 2 regions is crazy. If they are indeed all active accounts (And I think they are, considering how many servers are being added) then Aion is growing faster than World of Warcraft is.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

Cant wait to try this MMO.

• BwanaKuuBwanaKuu Member Posts: 146
    Originally posted by Gameloading

Eh what? I don't think anybody expected Aion to reach 3.5 million subscribers this fast, not even NCsoft as they keep adding more and more servers, this is a brand new IP that is not build on an already existing IP.

3.5 million subscribers in this short time frame in only 2 regions is crazy. If they are indeed all active accounts (And I think they are, considering how many servers are being added) then Aion is growing faster than World of Warcraft is.

I've read that the Chinese demand for the game is really too high for NCSoft to handle.  They had no idea it would get that many subscribers so fast and didn't have the resources to supply everyone. 

I doubt it will *kill* WoW, but you never know... if it's nopt as grindy as Lineage II and has great graphics, sound, and lots of good features... it just might.  Not to say what WoW accomplished isn't amazing; love it or hate it, it has brought MMOs into the mainstream.  Hell, everyone I've met in college knows what WoW is (even girls o.O).

• blackwolf82blackwolf82 Member Posts: 79
    Originally posted by BwanaKuu

I've read that the Chinese demand for the game is really too high for NCSoft to handle.  They had no idea it would get that many subscribers so fast and didn't have the resources to supply everyone. 

I doubt it will *kill* WoW, but you never know... if it's nopt as grindy as Lineage II and has great graphics, sound, and lots of good features... it just might.  Not to say what WoW accomplished isn't amazing; love it or hate it, it has brought MMOs into the mainstream.  Hell, everyone I've met in college knows what WoW is (even girls o.O).

WoW dragged an entire fanbase for their popular RTS series into the MMO genre. And MMOs are incredibly addictive, humans being such social creatures and all. Most games have a multiplayer feature now, and MMOs take "multiplayer" to an extreme.

That coupled with mass marketing brought in a gawd awful amount of money to Blizzard. They could afford an office party in space by now.

• Jeffery.hJeffery.h Darkfall CorrespondentMember Posts: 110

You lost me at   And they keep adding more and more servers. Sorry but..... ummm..... War and AoC kept adding more and more servers also.

I think developers should be learning at this point,  your subscribers in first few months may not be, and is not, indicative of the future.

I think AION can be succesful and popular with populated servers.  SO long as they do not add too many servers.

I think alot of people agree,  Better to be overpopulated in begining on a few servers, then to have half the servers dead.

Originally posted by Jeffery.h

You lost me at   And they keep adding more and more servers. Sorry but..... ummm..... War and AoC kept adding more and more servers also.

I think developers should be learning at this point,  your subscribers in first few months may not be, and is not, indicative of the future.

I think AION can be succesful and popular with populated servers.  SO long as they do not add too many servers.

I think alot of people agree,  Better to be overpopulated in begining on a few servers, then to have half the servers dead.

As far as I know WAR had way too much servers at launch and actually had to pull the plug on more and more. I was a victim of two mergers myself in the three months or so that I played it here in the EU.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Jeffery.h

WAR and AoC added server for the first few weeks just, Aion have been out 6 months now so I think it will succed better than the other two. I don't think it will be the new Wow however but it surely will give NC any cash they put in it back and a nice profit also.

• ummaxummax Member Posts: 779
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

because someone is gonna say this because of the issue of "legitimate" subscriber base I will add the retorical question

"kinda like WoW?"  -for a good 50% of the subscriber base because that is how people outside of our little EU/NA world play games mostly-

Anyhow I'm still waiting for Aion to release in north america cause its one I have been following for awhile and I wanna play it..

I guess I dont understand why people try to trivialize what is an obvious blockbuster .

• SkeeterxiSkeeterxi Member Posts: 265

There is a big difference between Aion hype and WAR/AoC hype because people are actually playing Aion. Aion is going to succeed where WAR and AoC failed. Its going to release polished. It was pretty polished when it released over in in Korea, it will be even more so by the time it hits here. Its not ok to release half finished games, and player bases agree if AoCs and WARs sub drops are any indication. Aion really fools the eye too, the graphics really look amazing but they are not high end which is good because it will run for people with average PCs just fine. Aion might have a bit of trouble breaking the korean grinder stereo type but its really just korean styled graphics meets western styled PvE(questing) and RvR PvP. I don't excpect it to sell as many initial boxes as WAR and AOC but I do expect its retention rate to be much higher and slowly grow instead of slowly lose. The game will definitly not kill WoW though, don't even think about it. No game will kill WoW or topple its subscription numbers for a long time.

• NickBDTNickBDT Member Posts: 23

reason they cant count accounts like wow is because  in this game, a subscription isn't a renewable monthly plan.  You pay for hours instead.  So someone can pay for 3 hours, play 2 hours. take a 5 month break and come back and still have his 1 hour of game play left to play.  I like it better this way because i don't have tons of time to be getting my 15$ a month worth of gameplay.

This is my signature .There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My Signature without me is useless. Without my signature, I am useless. I must sign my signature true. I must sign it better than the noobs who are trying to kill me. I must kill them before they kill me.

• lm8darklm8dark Member Posts: 281

Can't wait to try the game. Hearing great reviews.

• MysticshamanMysticshaman Member Posts: 72

and I STILL have no intension of EVER playing it..just doesn't LOOK good to me

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    Originally posted by NickBDT

reason they cant count accounts like wow is because  in this game, a subscription isn't a renewable monthly plan.  You pay for hours instead.  So someone can pay for 3 hours, play 2 hours. take a 5 month break and come back and still have his 1 hour of game play left to play.  I like it better this way because i don't have tons of time to be getting my 15$ a month worth of gameplay.

The only problem I see with this is most of the WOW sub's are from eastern countries paying on the hourly plan !!! and Bliz have no problem counting those "beans"

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• Iced.EtraIced.Etra Member Posts: 3

I played the game for the full duration of the Chinese Open Beta, so I actually have first hand experience with the game.

Is the game more grindy than Lineage 2? 

Answer: Yes, it the state I played it in (Essentially the live chinese version) the game did enforce more grinding than lineage 2, there are very few aspects of the game which aren't grind-related. I played within a fully english speaking guild, and many agreed on this fact.

Subscribers - Realistic figures?

Answer: I'd actually believe that the game is indeed this popular, with WoW no longer being updated in China (for now) much of the CWoW player base (Around 11 million IIRC) would have swapped to Aion. I spoke to several english speaking chinese people when playing in the open beta, and they seemed to think that the game would do well, as many chinese players like grinding.

Many people seem to be tunnel visioning good reviews. I personally won't be buying the game unless many of my friends want to give it a try.

Some factors which put me off it while playing:

~Slow, unskilled combat.

~Very grind oriented (To the point where everything is a grind), gets worse as you get higher level.

~Class balance still non existant (OP classes etc)

Not saying there's much better out there at the moment - there isn't, but keep in mind this game is nothing new.

Not going to go in depth and write a review, but you get the general idea.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

uh huh, a game which is quest orientated = suddenly a worse grind then Lineage 2.

It simply isn't true, it took the most hardcore nearly a year to get the cap in Lineage 2. In Aion, there are already people at the cap level. If you classify this as a grind, then every mmorpg out there is a grind.

• kriebloodkrieblood Member Posts: 223

NCsoft knows how to develop a successful game, as Aion has recently reached the 3.5 million subscribers milestone according to IGN.
    Interesting to note is that Aion is the 3rd NCsoft game to have over 1 million subscribers (and  2 million and 3 million....)
    uk.pc.ign.com/articles/985/985368p1.html

Aion is a massively multiplayer online role playing game developed by NCsoft, and since its launch in Asia in March, has built up 3.5 million subscribers. The game apparently has 1,500 story-driven quests, with players fighting in an "epic celestial war", with a choice between two divine factions: the Asmodians and the Elyos.

That's because like me i hated the game had 0 interest i got bored wanted to see what the hype was all about played it for 20 mins and i was addicted. its a fucking great game. Kinda has a WoW feel at first thats your first impression but thats only the tutorial quests once u get past the Learn our system zone it gets very interesting.

Needless to say coming from a Aion hater who feel in love with the gamei give it a 9/10

and the one point thats missing is because they have no full loot system. if it had full loot system it would be the best thing since sliced bread and butter packets.

Mortal Online/EarthRise/Project V13
    TheVindicators.com

• kriebloodkrieblood Member Posts: 223
    Originally posted by Iced.Etra

I played the game for the full duration of the Chinese Open Beta, so I actually have first hand experience with the game.
    Is the game more grindy than Lineage 2? 
    Answer: Yes, it the state I played it in (Essentially the live chinese version) the game did enforce more grinding than lineage 2, there are very few aspects of the game which aren't grind-related. I played within a fully english speaking guild, and many agreed on this fact.
    Subscribers - Realistic figures?
    Answer: I'd actually believe that the game is indeed this popular, with WoW no longer being updated in China (for now) much of the CWoW player base (Around 11 million IIRC) would have swapped to Aion. I spoke to several english speaking chinese people when playing in the open beta, and they seemed to think that the game would do well, as many chinese players like grinding.
    Many people seem to be tunnel visioning good reviews. I personally won't be buying the game unless many of my friends want to give it a try.
    Some factors which put me off it while playing:
    ~Slow, unskilled combat.
    ~Very grind oriented (To the point where everything is a grind), gets worse as you get higher level.
    ~Class balance still non existant (OP classes etc)
     Not saying there's much better out there at the moment - there isn't, but keep in mind this game is nothing new.
    Not going to go in depth and write a review, but you get the general idea.

You have NEVER EVER EVER PLAYED AION. no how i know the hole thing im queting you on is BULL SHIT. none of that is even true your a troll trying to spray some shit water every where because you dont think people play in chinese.

oh yeah so name 1 game u didnt have to do quests or any "grinding" like WTF do you want toi sign onto a game and be max lvl jsut gear difference?

cuz if thats what you want play Fury OH THATS RIGHT THAT GAME SUCKED AND FAILED.

welp go back to trolling DF posts ass corn.

Mortal Online/EarthRise/Project V13
    TheVindicators.com