Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cannot get newly built PC to work, please assist

Comments

• BrifBrif Member UncommonPosts: 529

I'm getting an internal speaker later today to see if it makes any beeps.

I tested the voltage on all the power cables going to the mobo and they all read correctly.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

Don't asus boards have a mounted mini beeper/speaker for post?

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851

One of the main things that Asus would tell you right away if you got a hold of them is that OCZ is not a supported memory company. They will tell you to pick up Corsair. I've never had problems with OCZ on Asus until I ran into Crossfire boards then it is a whole different story.

While it is possible the mobo doesn't like the memory it isn't likely it's just something tech support would tell you right away to cover their ass.

At any point an Asus monitor probably was one of your ill purchases on your part. It's just not quality for what you can out of it. If you need both pins plugged into the monitor that is just unheard of and defiantly your problem. Most mobo's can only read one setting at a time even if it says it can distinguish between the two of them they normally can't.

Perhaps also dropping to DDR3 1333 may make your life easier as well as everything else on your mobo is supported upward with O.C. just a thought.

It's hard to really tell what is going on without being their first hand to diagnose it. It could be any number of issues from plugs not being in correctly to unsupported devices/brands. It helps when you have a knowledge on what you are building so you know when things go sour why it is happening and steps to fix it.

It doesn't take a genius to put a PC together but it takes someone with a PC background to make it work when it want's to cause you hell. So if you lack the background I'd take it to a friend or a shop that knows a thing or two about the internals.

[[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Originally posted by mrw0lf

Yes Some do, mostly they would come with the case, but some MOBO manufacturers will send you a small speaker that comes in a plastic bag.  Its small, black and round with the wires coming out to connect to the pins.  You should have one of those as most boards come with that now if your speakers aren't on the case.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

If you've tried everything including only one GPU on a VGA cable but you get no boot I reckon at a guess without actually seeing it that your PSU is DOA.

If when you plug it all in you get a light on your MOBO then when you press power on the cpu fan does like one cycle then nothing I'd guess it's the PSU. Try swapping PSUs and booting your comp with the other or vice versa.

If everything is going except your monitor then it's your GPU, either your PSU can't provide enough power to it, you've conected the monitor wrong (try one VGA cable), or your GPU is dead.

That's my best guess without seeing anything.

EDIT: make sure it isn't the power switch by touching the power switch jumpers with a flat head screwdriver to switch on. Also make sure your MOBO is fitted to the case properly with risers and any risers that don't use screws are removed.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• zantaxzantax Member Posts: 254

Well you said you had another computer, pull the PSU from that one and put it in this one.  Remove all the hardware except for 1 video card and the HDD, and let us know if it posts.  When you push the power button do you get any screens or does it sit there with the "No signal" displayed?

Also one problem that I had on a friends computer with an ASUS board was this, he plugged his CPU fan directly into the PSU and not into the connector on the board, the board didn't see the CPU Fan so it would not initialize, so make sure it is plugged into the CPU Fan connector on the board.

If after you have done that the computer still does the same thing my suggestion pull the CPU and verify that it is installed correctly, check all the little bumps/pins and make sure none are damaged on the board or the processor.

After that I would say Motherboard is toast, chances of both video cards being toast really bad, PSU are usually pretty reliable and they at least power up usually.  Ram is the next monster but the chances all sticks being bad close to 0.

Also maybe a stupid thing to try but it is worth it, reset the bios, pull the jumper and move it to clear bios with no power to the unit, then replace it back to its original spot then turn it on, just a thought maybe the BIOS has a setting that is messed up, or the hardware you got wasn't brand new and someone had tested it before you got it but set the BIOS to some stupid setting.

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Originally posted by mrw0lf

Yes Some do, mostly they would come with the case, but some MOBO manufacturers will send you a small speaker that comes in a plastic bag.  Its small, black and round with the wires coming out to connect to the pins.  You should have one of those as most boards come with that now if your speakers aren't on the case.

Neither the motherboard or the case came with a speaker

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Do your processor fan spin?

If it spins we most likely have a problem with the video signal but if not there are some possible problems:

1. On/off button is either not plugged in right or broken.

2. PSU problem. The PSU is either not plugged in right or doesn't work.

3. Problem with the motherboard.

The advice is to tripplecheck everything.

I sent the mobo back

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

One mistake I always seem to make when putting together a PC is putting the jumpers on right.  Like sometimes I would put the plug in the wrong spot or have it turned the wrong way. 

Just so you know, the mobo has a light that comes on if its getting power from the PSU.  If its not on, then the problem is the PSU.

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

Id be willing to bet your motherboard is grounding itself out.  Make sure you're using standoffs on the motherboard and make sure nothing behind the motherboard is touching the case.  Make sure whatever you're using to screw the motherboard to the case isnt conductive and make sure you're using non conductive washers around the mounting screws.

usually when a newly built PC doesnt POST, its because its grounding out.  If you can hear the fans spin up, the board is getting power. 

bad cpu, bad video board, bad ram, bad hard drive .. none of these will keep your PC from posting. 

*edit* oh well just saw you sent it back for a return.  Just keep this all in mind when you mount your new mobo

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."

The MB light came on.

I talked to the people at Newegg and they confirmed it was DOA.

I'm shipping it back for a replacement tomorrow.

• InstamaticInstamatic Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Originally posted by Rayx0r

Id be willing to bet your motherboard is grounding itself out.  Make sure you're using standoffs on the motherboard and make sure nothing behind the motherboard is touching the case.  Make sure whatever you're using to screw the motherboard to the case isnt conductive and make sure you're using non conductive washers around the mounting screws.
    usually when a newly built PC doesnt POST, its because its grounding out.  If you can hear the fans spin up, the board is getting power. 
    bad cpu, bad video board, bad ram, bad hard drive .. none of these will keep your PC from posting. 
    *edit* oh well just saw you sent it back for a return.  Just keep this all in mind when you mount your new mobo

I'm with this guy.  And no, grounding out a motherboard does not cause PSU's or other parts to fail or smoke....it just stops the motherboard from even hitting POST.  In my past experience with having a mobo seated improperly the fan would whirr for just a second and then power would turn back off.  Right at that part where you would hear the POST beep is where power shuts down.

I haven't sent it back yet I could open the box and try this again.

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039
    Originally posted by Brif

I haven't sent it back yet I could open the box and try this again.

If you already haven't worked your way through that tip I can share you this link.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/14552-cooler-master-storm-sniper-case-review-6.html

You see the picture with the paperboard. That shows where you put the standoffs, making it easy for you to make shure that you put standoffs where the holes are in the mainboard.

Using any metal or conductive screws is not a problem as long as you use them in the holes designated to seat you mainboard.

Also I would like to think that if you have shortcuircuited your mainboard the PSU would have switched off especially if you managed to fasten it in the case without using standoffs. All fans should have stopped running aswell.

Forgot to make that last into a question aswell. The first time you started the computer did something similar happen. Did your PSU switch off instantly?

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

I had an extra PC that was missing some standoffs in the case so the mobo would ground itself all the time. Caused no damage, just wouldn't post and would shut off if it grounded during operation, I finally just stuck a piece of paper underneath the mobo to insulate it and had no probs after that. I've also seen mobos not even beep/post if the ram was bad/seated improperly.

So it won't post if there is no RAM in it?

• TalruneTalrune Member Posts: 339

Hey there Brif,

Did you use standoffs as the poster a couple posts above asked as t hey are needed so Mobo does not ground itself out.

Also as another poster mentioned using a vga and dvi plug on one monitor is unheard of usually its one or the other, or did you mean you were hooking the vga into a dvi adapter then into the vid card?

Also make sure you have the power sw,reset sw all seated on the right jumpers in the right way(negative/postive)

And im sure you have done this but did you apply t hermal grease correctly if you used that as to heavy or to thin can cause computer to post for a second then kick itself off.

also did you say you have a floppy drive as well?  try leaving it off the mobo as sometimes a bad pin on those can stop you from posting when it goes to detect the hardware.  I'm sure you have done all the above but just checking and computer should post to the point when it  detects the ram then let you know it has no memorty or not enough the messages vary.