Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

xx

SaetiaBelleSaetiaBelle Member UncommonPosts: 53
edited November 2023 in Guild Wars

xx

Hey, Belle here. Full time mom of 3. Married to Dwayne. Moved to the US some years ago. Love it! 
"Forget the unwritten, uncollected works of the poet
You never were." - a song lyric from Saetia, my fave band in the world. 
Post edited by SaetiaBelle on

Comments

• Lonesamurai1Lonesamurai1 Member Posts: 1,210

Why is the max level only 20? (It feels too short - I like leveling)
    The point is that the leveling is a tutorial for the game, the original premise for thegame was to get people into PvP and the PvE was meant to be a training time... however, ANet made such a great story and PvE section that a large section of the community don't touch PvP at all

Anything higher than twenty would break the game and the lvl is meaningless

Why can you start at 20 and skip the leveling? (I find this strange)
    You can't... HOWEVER, yu can make a lvl 20 PvP character, but they have no access to PvE areas and are only allowed on the PvP Zones

Is there any disadvantages of starting a premade 20? (I hope so or I'd feel robbed leveling on my self)
    If you PvP, make a PvP character, however, your Pvp character uses skills unlocked on your account, so unless you buy the PvP unlock packs from the ingame store (which are a good buy as your heroes also use unlocked account skills too) then your PvP character will have nly basic skills to use

Why is the level cap not raised in 2 expansions? (Is there any new PVE in the expanions that is worth playing if so?)
    Because there is ONLY 1 expansion (Eye of the North) and the other two are campaigns which add more professions, skills and PvE areas, bt they are still balanced using lvl 20 as a lvl cap

Is there a gear system in the game? (If so where do you get it and is it a big thing?)
    NO! This IS NOT a normal MMO, Guild Wars is based on Player skill, NOT best gear

I can go into a pvp zone with my basic looking Warrior and be as good as the warrior that was made a year ago because I know how to play the game and I have the same skills and same max level weapons and armour straight away

Is there a game currency from looting? (If so what is it needed for?)

What is the max party limit in dungeons?
    Depends on the dungeon, check the official wiki for more info

BTW, I'm a community manager for the game, if you need a hand, PM me ingame, Tyr Dominator ;)

imageimage

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by SaetiaBelle

I read the sticky but couldn't find answers to a few things that have been pondering about... could anybody help me out?

Why is the max level only 20? (It feels too short - I like leveling)
    Why can you start at 20 and skip the leveling? (I find this strange)
    Is there any disadvantages of starting a premade 20? (I hope so or I'd feel robbed leveling on my self)
    Why is the level cap not raised in 2 expansions? (Is there any new PVE in the expanions that is worth playing if so?)
    Is there a gear system in the game? (If so where do you get it and is it a big thing?)
    Is there a game currency from looting? (If so what is it needed for?)

I think with guild wars you need to change your paradigm a bit. The whole mission statement of Guild Wars was about less grinding and not being gear based.

There are two things to do. You either go through each Guild Wars game expansion's story which is like playing a regular video game except that you can group with people or you pvp in whatever arena's/maps that are available to you.

The nice thing about Guild Wars is that if one hates grinding then you really won't have a lot of grind. You can collect skills from certain named mobs to enhance your skill pack (the skills you can choose before you head out in a mission or arena).

There really isn't a gear system in that you will never have a piece of gear that is so over powered as to negate any other person's weapon.

There is no looting of players and there is gold but it doesn't have to be a big thing as gear comes easily. Gold is only needed for dyes, some enhancements and some of the better looking gear. Also to get things for some crafting.

I can't remember the party limit. I think one of the expansions raises the party. In some of the earlier missions it's only 4 but then later it can be raised to 6 I think.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578
    Originally posted by Sovrath

I read the sticky but couldn't find answers to a few things that have been pondering about... could anybody help me out?

Why is the max level only 20? (It feels too short - I like leveling)
    Why can you start at 20 and skip the leveling? (I find this strange)
    Is there a gear system in the game? (If so where do you get it and is it a big thing?)
    Is there a game currency from looting? (If so what is it needed for?)

I think with guild wars you need to change your paradigm a bit. The whole mission statement of Guild Wars was about less grinding and not being gear based.

There are two things to do. You either go through each Guild Wars game expansion's story which is like playing a regular video game except that you can group with people or you pvp in whatever arena's/maps that are available to you.

The nice thing about Guild Wars is that if one hates grinding then you really won't have a lot of grind. You can collect skills from certain named mobs to enhance your skill pack (the skills you can choose before you head out in a mission or arena).

There really isn't a gear system in that you will never have a piece of gear that is so over powered as to negate any other person's weapon.

There is no looting of players and there is gold but it doesn't have to be a big thing as gear comes easily. Gold is only needed for dyes, some enhancements and some of the better looking gear. Also to get things for some crafting.

I can't remember the party limit. I think one of the expansions raises the party. In some of the earlier missions it's only 4 but then later it can be raised to 6 I think.

Yes you have to get rid of your preconceptions of an mmo for this game. As Lonesamurai said leveling is just a tutorial part of the game. Your growth as a character involves getting the skills from monsters you kill and then applying them to your skill set. If you have ever played those card games such as Magic the Gathering then you'll have an idea of how this game is (as far as the premise of the game).

Also the party limit in large parts of the game is 8 (4 and 6 are mostly in the begginer parts of the game).

• SaetiaBelleSaetiaBelle Member UncommonPosts: 53
    edited November 2023

xx

Hey, Belle here. Full time mom of 3. Married to Dwayne. Moved to the US some years ago. Love it! 
  • Lonesamurai1Lonesamurai1 Member Posts: 1,210

Thanks for the replies, they helped alot. I wrote the questions in quite a hurry as I wrote it out then pressed backspace by accident. imageI think I understand more now.So I can gather that you play the roleplaying character to access skills that the pvp made characters won't have (unless paid for with cash)?Just one more question, if I want to play the storyline in the 'one' expansion and the original game and gather the skills and titles, how many hours of gameplay am I looking at? I don't mind it being not a normal MMO, I would play a 1 player rpg but I would like to share the finished character with other people in the pvp arenas. But I don't want to complete the game in a week so to say.
    ok, stop thinking of them as seperate games

if you add all the campaigns and the expansion to your game account they are just one big game

imageimage

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697

So I can gather that you play the roleplaying character to access skills that the pvp made characters won't have (unless paid for with cash)

You can also unlock skills for pvp using Balthazar faction.  For every enemy you kill in pvp, you get a certain amount of Balthazar faction.   You can use that faction to unlock skills for your pvp character to use.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• GennadiosGennadios Member Posts: 209

Thanks for the replies, they helped alot. I wrote the questions in quite a hurry as I wrote it out then pressed backspace by accident.

I think I understand more now.

So I can gather that you play the roleplaying character to access skills that the pvp made characters won't have (unless paid for with cash)?

Just one more question, if I want to play the storyline in the 'one' expansion and the original game and gather the skills and titles, how many hours of gameplay am I looking at? I don't mind it being not a normal MMO, I would play a 1 player rpg but I would like to share the finished character with other people in the pvp arenas. But I don't want to complete the game in a week so to say.

PvP chars can still unlock all the skills available without paying a cent, but it's considerably slower going. You gain faction poits for PvPing, and those points can be used to unlock any skills you want. It takes about 30 minutes of Random Arena to unlock a single skill, might not seem like much, but there are alot of them, and you'll also need to unlock new runes for your armor, so expect it to take a few weeks.

If you're new, the PvE campaign will take you about a month to complete, with gathering materials for max armor, scrounging weapons, making enough money to purchase Runes/Insignia and whatnot. After completion, there's the FIssure of Woe, and the Underworld, Hard Mode, and elite armor (same stats as normal max armor, but way more expensive and impressive looking.)

I do have a dislaimer that others posters are tiptoeing around. Have you played and enjoyed any of the Bioware/Black Isle RPG's? The ones with low level caps and low gear differential (+1/+2/+3 swords as opposed to 9-10 damge for noobs and 3000-1100 at lvl 80) or are you more of a Diablo II player (99 level cap, gear that scales from normal in the lower areas to epic in Nightmare and Hell difficulties?) If you're of the Diablo II category, you should probably save your money, GW won't have much appeal for you.

• SaetiaBelleSaetiaBelle Member UncommonPosts: 53
    edited November 2023

xx

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Play through the campaigns, pvp and grind for titles. Then find yourself a comfortable seat on a long line of people waiting to hear about Guild Wars 2.