Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Im Afraid of This game....

AuzyAuzy Member UncommonPosts: 611

While I want it to succeed I am afraid it wont....

This is why

Its main focus is combat, but from the videos I have seen, it looks as if they provide a red box for you to aim at then u just point and click.  If combat is supposed to be the focus of gameplay, then this game will probably fail. 

If anyone has more info on the aiming style.... red box aiming (can you turn it off), recoil, missiles?  More detailed dog fighting than just point and click...?

This isnt meant to be a flame post,  just a concerned post.  I want the game to succeed as MMO's need to stray away from the fantasy genre.. 

With all that being said I do intend to play the game, but it just worries me that the main focus of the game will be boring after a while.......

Thanks in advance...

THIS IS NOT MEANT TO BE A FLAME POST!

Uhh... what?

Comments

• lornphoenixlornphoenix Member Posts: 993

Most space games, that have a dogfighting style,  I've played have that red box, or what a call a Lead Indicator.

I'm playing X2: The Threat, I'm has them. I guessing the JGE in going to play a lot like it.

I wouldn't call that point and click... it's closer to playing a FPS.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Auzy

This is why
    Its main focus is combat, but from the videos I have seen, it looks as if they provide a red box for you to aim at then u just point and click.  If combat is supposed to be the focus of gameplay, then this game will probably fail. 
    If anyone has more info on the aiming style.... red box aiming (can you turn it off), recoil, missiles?  More detailed dog fighting than just point and click...?
    This isnt meant to be a flame post,  just a concerned post.  I want the game to succeed as MMO's need to stray away from the fantasy genre.. 
    With all that being said I do intend to play the game, but it just worries me that the main focus of the game will be boring after a while.......
    Thanks in advance...

Why do you care so much? It is just a game. If it is good and you enjoy, sub for a while. If not, look for greener pastures.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

yes, because WingCommander series, X-wing VS. Tie fighter, Privateer and freelancer sucked.

O.o

Net devil has been saying ALL along, they are building a foundation for the game, that foundation, is combat. More to come later.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• TamishTamish Member Posts: 27

This is why
    Thanks in advance...

I played the original Jumpgate, which mist have been 7-8 years ago now and the combat was fun then.  It was realistic and player skill was essential.  I belive they will make combat similar in the sequal and it will be even better.

• LimaBravoLimaBravo Member Posts: 11

Correct me if I'm wrong but there isnt recoil in space.  Equal and opposite forces sure but not shaky bouncy recoil.  Also ......... wait for it    ........

ITS A GAME

Itll get boring after a while ¬.¬ of course it will .......  ITS A GAME

No really.

• GoBBelsGoBBels Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by LimaBravo

Correct me if I'm wrong but there isnt recoil in space.  Equal and opposite forces sure but not shaky bouncy recoil.

Of couse there's recoil. Why wouldn't there be, it's as you say it: "equal and opposite forces", that wouldn't change because of no earthly gravity. Weather any will be reflected in the game i don't know, but i doubt it.

As for the OP: Maybe you should actually try playing a spacecombat sim, before embarresing yourself.

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

Originally posted by Tamish
    Originally posted by Auzy While I want it to succeed I am afraid it wont....
    This is why
    Thanks in advance...

I played the original Jumpgate, which mist have been 7-8 years ago now and the combat was fun then.  It was realistic and player skill was essential.  I belive they will make combat similar in the sequal and it will be even better.

/agree. I played it to and the combat with Newtonian physics is badass.

As for recoil, sure if you were using projectiles but laser and other radiation weapons don't produce recoil. The target will experience some radiation shock effects from armour heating and ablation plus any secondary detonations internally.

I think.

But that's RL stuff. shaky effects in games can be cool though.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

.......It is pretty scary.

I dont care so long as I can spin around while mantaining momentum ala BSG, sweeeeet.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• freejackmackfreejackmack Member Posts: 378
    Originally posted by Leethe

Originally posted by Tamish

This is why

Thanks in advance...

/agree. I played it to and the combat with Newtonian physics is badass.

As for recoil, sure if you were using projectiles but laser and other radiation weapons don't produce recoil. The target will experience some radiation shock effects from armour heating and ablation plus any secondary detonations internally.

I think.

But that's RL stuff. shaky effects in games can be cool though.

I always turn shaky effects of it annoys me.

JGC still has the best space flight engine of any game and that is pretty amazing because it came out 8-9 years ago lol.

• MulliMulli Member Posts: 94

As stated above, the reticle you see is a lead indicator. Your guns still fire at a point in front of your ship (I've no idea if there is any convergence involved) so you still need to be able to pilot your ship sufficiently well to ensure your shots land in the lead reticle. So not just point and click (e.g. Freelancer style tracking turrets) - piloting skill is involved as well. Taking into account a variety of ship types with different masses, loadouts, etc. I'd imagine there is some skill involved in hitting your target.

Assuming things haven't changed much in this respect since 2008, the reticle goes red when your active weapon is in range - nothing more. Missiles require time to lock on before you can launch them. We've been promised a variety of weapons (I assume different rates of fire, ranges, etc) but I've not heard anything regarding recoil. It has been confirmed that some weapons require ammunition which can be reloaded for a fee when docked at a station. Same applies to missiles (a divergence from Jumpgate Classic where missiles were a one-shot deal).

Hope this helps.