Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

thinking of using my 8800 GTS for physx

nakumanakuma Member UncommonPosts: 1,310

im thinking of using my 8800 GTS 640mb as a physx card and my BFG 260 GTX OC as my main gpu. i got several games that use physx enabled games.

will my 750 watt rocketfish PSU will be suffice to power both these cards properly?

is there any real performance gains from doing this?

3.4ghz Phenom II X4 965, 8GB PC12800 DDR3 GSKILL, EVGA 560GTX 2GB OC, 640GB HD SATA II, BFG 1000WATT PSU. MSI NF980-G65 TRI-SLI MOBO.

Comments

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

Your PSU shouldn't have any trouble running both cards.

Theoretically you should get a performance boost by offloading the PhysX processing to a 2nd card.

But... is it even possible to do what you are wanting?

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• nakumanakuma Member UncommonPosts: 1,310
    Originally posted by Dameonk

Your PSU shouldn't have any trouble running both cards.
    Theoretically you should get a performance boost by offloading the PhysX processing to a 2nd card.
    But... is it even possible to do what you are wanting?

i keep reading about it so yeah, but im just curious if anyone has tried it or it has defined performance boosts.

3.4ghz Phenom II X4 965, 8GB PC12800 DDR3 GSKILL, EVGA 560GTX 2GB OC, 640GB HD SATA II, BFG 1000WATT PSU. MSI NF980-G65 TRI-SLI MOBO.

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

I should have been more specific.  When I asked if it was possible, I was looking for a link.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• Sir_DripSir_Drip Member Posts: 133
    Originally posted by nakuma

im thinking of using my 8800 GTS 640mb as a physx card and my BFG 260 GTX OC as my main gpu. i got several games that use physx enabled games.
    will my 750 watt rocketfish PSU will be suffice to power both these cards properly?

Yes!!!   When using the 8800 as the Physx card...It uses about 1/3rd the power, than if you were using it as a GFX card !  IT acts more like a CPU but faster! It Takes the load off of the CPU and processes at a much faster rate than the CPU can do. However....Your best results are with "TWIN" cards!

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786

Are you playing any games that will actually benefit from PhysX?

You'll get some benefit, but you probably won't even notice it.  Nvidia dropped the whole concept of a second card because it just wasn't necessary.

You should install the second card and just set it up to to Folding@home 24/7 for group 116766  :)

• Sir_DripSir_Drip Member Posts: 133
    Originally posted by madeux

Even if you are, go with dual cards.  A PhysX enabled game will then be able to use both cards when needed.  When Nvidia bought PhysX they dropped the whole idea of a separate card for physics processing for a good reason:  It's not needed, and doesn't work well.

"i got several games that use physx enabled games."

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    Originally posted by Sir_Drip

Originally posted by madeux

Even if you are, go with dual cards.  A PhysX enabled game will then be able to use both cards when needed.  When Nvidia bought PhysX they dropped the whole idea of a separate card for physics processing for a good reason:  It's not needed, and doesn't work well.

"i got several games that use physx enabled games."

That doesnt mean it works well. Just means you have games, whoopdeedo. Everybody here does.

The issue is it worth the price to have a second card. Most times no.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• nakumanakuma Member UncommonPosts: 1,310

i got a quite a few games that use physx. but i cant afford a 260 GTX just yet, so i want to eek a bit of performance out of my system and figure since my 8800 GTS is goign unused, might as well see if it works. ill find out soone nough when i buy a 6 pin pcie connector.

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

I am interested in this as well. Recently been looking into what if any effects it has on games. Minor or Massive? Any effects on MMO and not FPS games? etc...

Mostly interested as I have a 260 installed and a 8800gtx gathering dust in its plastic case. I could I suppose just get a second 260 (about 170$) for the SLI MB, but I already have the older card.

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    Originally posted by CyclopsSlay

I am interested in this as well. Recently been looking into what if any effects it has on games. Minor or Massive? Any effects on MMO and not FPS games? etc...
    Mostly interested as I have a 260 installed and a 8800gtx gathering dust in its plastic case. I could I suppose just get a second 260 (about 170$) for the SLI MB, but I already have the older card.

The support for SLI is pretty poor.

http://www.tech-hounds.com/article15/ArticlesPage1.html

The info is abuot a 1 or 1.5 years dated, but still proves a point. A single card is a better value when you are about to only gain on average a 30% gain in performance. Is it worth the extra money ? ITs a personal choice. I wish I put the money into 1 GTX instead of 2 GTS's. Cuz I cant see a diference between 30fps and 50fps when playing LOTRO in DX10 with Vista Ultimate 64bit.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053
    Originally posted by Sir_Drip

Originally posted by nakuma

Yes!!!   When using the 8800 as the Physx card...It uses about 1/3rd the power, than if you were using it as a GFX card !  IT acts more like a CPU but faster! It Takes the load off of the CPU and processes at a much faster rate than the CPU can do. However....Your best results are with "TWIN" cards!

I'm sorry, a second video card doesn't offload the CPU...  *rolls eyes*

As the CPU doesn't deal with "PhysX" .!!

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Hey I use an 8800GT OC as a physx card, there are several games I play, where I can crank the effects out they are are processed by this card.

Most noticably for me is Crysis Wars (big fan).

I have even had 2x GTX 285 + 1x8800GT physx card off a 750 Watt PSU (PC Power and cooling) was rated at the high end over 800W though. Not sure with rocketfish, but you will definately be ok with 1 260 and 1 8800 GTS.

Some games are not so noticable. I guess you have to reason like it is turning an extra light on in your house whilst playing by having a phsyx card in there especially if not being used.