Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comparing CPU

pussaykatpussaykat Member Posts: 791

I have a dual core with 3.6 ghz p4 x2 installed. How does that compare those cpu built specificly for dual core machines?

-Would you like cheddar or swiss cheese?
-Yes.

Comments

• orioniteorionite Member UncommonPosts: 139

Your question can not be answered. A dual-core machine is a computer that houses a dual-core CPU (and a matching motherboard). Also, to my knowledge (correct me if I'm wrong), the P4 3,6GHz is not a dual core CPU. Unless you mean a dual CPU motherboard.

Clarify and people might be able to help you out.

• pussaykatpussaykat Member Posts: 791

I'm guessing i have a dual cpu motherboard because it really says 2 P4 cpu. How does that compare to the other one you mentioned?

-Yes.

• mokoleusmokoleus Member Posts: 142

I have a p4 2.8c overclocked to 3.2 GHz, and because of hyperthreading, it's rated as two cpus, though it it isn't. Are you sure you have a dual core, and not just hyperthreading?

• Sir_DripSir_Drip Member Posts: 133

I beleave.. The keyword here is P4 "HT" Your Operating system picks it up as a "Dual Core" Back in them days...all that used 2x P4 "HT's'" CPU..were server boards!

I don't know about HT, says intel.

When i bought the machine i asked for a dual core machine and this is what the guy sold me. Got it for about 400-500$ used.

If i go to system it says p4 3.20 and p4 3.19. There's nothing about HT.

I don't know if that's good or bad that server boards used those. Which is it?

-Yes.

• Sir_DripSir_Drip Member Posts: 133

That is eather a Northwood or Prescott CPU.  P4 single core with "HT" Hyper Threading. Your OS see's it at a Dual Core CPU.

EDIT- Much like the I7...Showing 8 core's in the OS!

So basicly you're telling me i asked for a dual core and he sold me a single?

-Yes.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

• mundus01mundus01 Member Posts: 100

The 3.6 is a pentium D has 2 cores but was intels first series of muli-core cpus. The new type are core2 duo the way the cores are connected and communicate are different. The newer types are alot faster .