Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cannot get newly built PC to work, please assist

BrifBrif Member UncommonPosts: 529

I've just built my system but it doesn't seam to boot.

I don't get any beeps and no signal is getting to the monitor.

I have removed the RAM, but nothing changes. No beeps still.

I have tried removing all other components like the HDD and CD/DVD drive but still no luck.

I have tried booting with 1 stick of ram at a time in different sockets but no boot.

I have removed the motherboard from the case and re-seated the processor and all other componants but still no boot.

I have removed the cmos battery to clear it but still no change.

Comments

• bmdevinebmdevine Member Posts: 429

Did you buy it from a company that has no technical support?

• zantaxzantax Member Posts: 254

Ok this might be a dumb question but we have to make sure things are all working.  When you hit the power button do you see the HDD light turn on then go out, and do you hear the normal beeps from the computer or possibly very faint ones?  Next thing if you have a floppy drive is that light on solid?

I would go through and reseat everything in the computer, then try again if it doesn't work and you have lets say 4 sticks of memory, remove 2 of them and try again, if still nothing replace the two in there iwth the two you removed and try again, if still not then mix them up and try again...etc.  Check all your cables, disconnect all drives except your HDD, so no CD rom, no floppy, no nothing just 1 HDD and see if you can at least get a post screen.  Oh almost forgot one critical thing, if your Video Card requires extra power plug directly to it make sure it is connected as well.  If all of that and it still doesn't work, start by replacing the video card or moving the card into a known working computer if available if not replace it first.

Let us know what you find ok?

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977
    Originally posted by Brif

So I got all my computer parts in the mail yesterday and just finished the wiring of my new rig.  Everything is wired correctly but I am not getting any video.  When I turn my PC on, nothing happens, it is like the monitor even plugged in.  I know it isn't the monitor because it works on another PC.  Know that this is the first time I have turned it on and haven't seen any video for it yet.
    My build will be in my signature soon.

What does happen? Does the comp boot up and you here the beep from the speaker or is there just nothing? Does it start up for a second then shutdown? Before you press the start button is the motherboard on?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• BrifBrif Member UncommonPosts: 529

I have tried another monitor so I know it is not that

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

It seems to boot up and run find
    both video card fans are running, so I know they're on
    the hard drive turns on
    just no video

Does the board have an IGP? if so pull out your GPU and use the IGP and see what happens. Try to boot up with as little RAM as possible also, best advice is to try it out with the bare minimum off hardware then if it works add a piece at a time and see what fails.

If no IGP boot with only one GPU.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• JackcoltJackcolt Member UncommonPosts: 2,170

As stated, try reseating everything. When  I got my x1950 pro ultimate some years ago, I had the same problem as you. Reseated the card and then it worked perfectly.

Also if you have an IGP(integrated graphics processor), make sure you've switched it off in the BIOS(selecting your main gfx as output)

I just mixed the ram up a few times, nothing happened.

I have 2 video cards and have tried plugging the monitor into both.

I'll go reseat both video cards.

There are no integrated graphics on my mobo.

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045

There are no integrated graphics on my mobo.

try using both dvi and vga adapters for monitor.. , supposedly they should read and auto check both.. but sadly most dont rly do that..

when my mb went bad, i switched one of my monitors to vga for laptop when i got new mb, i knew it it was good cuz i tested it , so i got home.. installed everything.. everything boots up.. beep and stuff, and there is no video.. monitor just doesnt detect anything.. i have 2 video cards, i try with one then another.. with just one..

then with just one monitor.. and so on, till finally i get to work.. it was somehow that my my monitor wasnt switching from vga to dvi output.. tho i had one on dvi one on vga.. and still nothing.. even tho they both go  checking dvi.. checking vga.. my ass,

so if you have new monitor, you should have adapter for vga.. as it comes in dvi.. try with both..

My monitor has both a DVI and VGA cable on it, both are required to be plugged in for it to work.

I just unplugged everything except my MB and it makes absolutely no noise when turned on, just a blue light.

Is there supposed to be a noise or something? Does the light mean anything bad?

I also tried the monitor that is currently on the PC I'm using to write this and still nothing.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Are you getting the beeps from POST?

Try with the minimum number of parts connected to start narrowing it down. No drives, 1 stick of ram, 1 video card. Reset the bios once with the jumper to make sure the settings aren't screwed up. Make sure the extra 4 pin power connector on mobo is hooked up, you have the reset switch wired correctly (it will prevent bootup if hooked up wrong). If you have the PC speaker hooked up you should get some beeps telling you what's going on. Test the PSU in another rig. After all this, if with either stick of RAM you get no beeps at all the motherboard is probably DOA.

Also I haven't seen a monitor that requires both connectors to be hooked up. You should only need the DVI hooked up. But obv some have had worse experiences than me.

• heremypetheremypet Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 528

Fist thing, try just one video card.  Might have to install windows and video drivers and everything before upgrading to SLI who knows don't quote me there, I'm no expert on dual-VGA cards.

If that doesn't work what you wanna do is eliminate possibilities by getting a video post with minimal hardware.

Unplug everything, your HDDs DVDs and drive power, plug only 1 dimm and 1 VGA card.

Now make sure your motherboards +12v AUX connector is plugged in, the 4 to 6 wire connector near the CPU.  Also check that if the motherboards main power is 24 pin, that your using 20+4 and not just a 20 pin power connector.. and make sure your video card has it's PCI-E power connected.

Shipping motherboards around can corrupt the cmos, try dumping cmos via the CLR_RTC or clear cmos jumper.

If you still cant get anything try swapping the video cards and DIMMs out.

Next check your CPU pins, LGA pins

...Check DIMM and CPU compatibility with your motherboard.

At this point I'd call in an RMA for your motherboard, you should have either identified the problem by now, unless your CPU is bad which is unlikely.

"Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun."

I reset the DMOS.

Nothing.

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

My monitor has both a DVI and VGA cable on it, both are required to be plugged in for it to work.
    I just unplugged everything except my MB and it makes absolutely no noise when turned on, just a blue light.

What would happen if the store shipped a M/B with bios 0102 and the rev. D0 of the i7 920 cpu?

BIOS

Core i7 920(2.66G,L2:4x256KB,L3:8M, rev.C0,130W)  0102

Core i7 920(2.66G,L2:4x256KB,L3:8M, rev.D0,130W)  0302

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=iRlP8RG9han6saZx&templete=2

-----------

Did I little browsing through the ASUS forum to see if that would even be a problem and found this one.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20090523045918674&board_id=1&model=P6T+Deluxe+V2&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

-----------

And also this one.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20090521102409909&board_id=1&model=P6T+Deluxe+V2&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

"Same thing happened to me. Do you know what it was? There is a cap over the 2nd set of 4pin connectors (they are beside each other) take the cap off and plug in the power cables. Make sure you use the one cord labeled "8-pin" on the paper tab from your PSU"

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

Yes I have the 8 pin power connector in, I took the cap off.

I guess the motherboard must be DOA.

Could there be anything else wrong?

• Sir_DripSir_Drip Member Posts: 133

Wrong DVI port? "Top card" left side DVI port!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

• britzbanbritzban Member UncommonPosts: 260

what...why would a monitor require you to have both VGa or DVI plugged in at the same time to work. That is a load of garbage. that is probably your problem.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I've just built my system but it doesn't seam to boot.

I don't get any beeps and no signal is getting to the monitor.

I have removed the RAM, but nothing changes. No beeps still.

I have tried removing all other components like the HDD and CD/DVD drive but still no luck.

I have tried booting with 1 stick of ram at a time in different sockets but no boot.

I have removed the motherboard from the case and re-seated the processor and all other componants but still no boot.

I have removed the cmos battery to clear it but still no change.

Ok, the most likely problem is that you didn't connect the power on button right. Check it.

The second most likely is that you either missed plug in some power connector, forgot to plug on the power unit on the back of it or plugged in a power connector badly.

It could be a broken mother board or power unit but I doubt it, my guess is that you plugged the power connector wrong, it is a common misstake and easy to make.

Edit: all talk about DVI ports and stuff are wrong, the processor fan would be running if it was a error with the video signal.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Originally posted by solareus

ok
    Take one card out, you should never try to fire up a brand new build in SLI  or Crossfire lol..... Also look on the mobo and see where the master Pci-e slot is, there is a master and slave, so plug in on card at time. SO Master , boot, run the drivers, ect, shutdown, then put in the slave, connect them with the connector for sli/xfire, boot again.

This would be a good start.. first.. it would be great if you can make sure theres a light on your MB when the power is connected and the PS is connected to the MB, if you're getting a light thats a good sign (most MBs have lights on them now)   Next take out that extra card, start with a single card, I know you say you've got an 850 watt, which should cover it, but lets be safe and start with the most minimal components.

What about your USB ports and Fpanel? Are they plugged in correctly? When you first turned it on did you smell anything strange? I've seen many people not plug their USBs in correctly and burn out their ports.  Check the integrity of the processor, are any pins bent?   Is the processor cord wrapped around the processor fan? On a build like that without that processor fan you'll overheat in no time and can cause damage.

Have you checked the MB manual and made sure you are seating your memory in the correct positions? Is your power supply on the correct voltage?  Is your MB speaker connected?  Do you get a splash screen?  Did you overtighten your MOBO?  If so, check the area around the screws and make sure there are no cracks in the board. 

Are you using DVI or VGA? If you're using DVI does your monitor have a digital setting?  these are just some things to check.  If you still can't get a splash screen then more then likely you got a bad board, but thats very rare to actually get a DOA board. In most cases you'd just get a splash screen and a BIOS error if the board has had any ESD.

Let us know!

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045
    Originally posted by britzban

what...why would a monitor require you to have both VGa or DVI plugged in at the same time to work. That is a load of garbage. that is probably your problem.

what the hell that you need both cables for your monitor to work.. , thats unheard of..

first off , did you actually try with just dvi, then with just vga, while you try with each, unplug dvi cable completely if you can, same when you try dvi unplug vga cable completely

problem might be that, your motherboard is set to dvi, and your monitor is set to vga, as its last you used,

another problem, is if you have both cables, pluged to monitor, there is chance, monitor wont switch dvi/vga modes

if you hear beep sound , after boot.. shit you should know how it sounds..  then its your monitor going nuts.. probably cuz you have both cables.. on to video card? thats new.. secodn that they both plugged to monitor..

as to basic troubleshooting

its not psu, why cuz you hardly need any power to start pc,  and things that pc wont start cuz of weak psu, are unheard too, it will start, it will run.. and it will shut down you pc while gaming.. untill one time it will burn.. so its not psu

its nod hdd.. as its not related in any way , it would boot.. displaying that boot hdd is missing.. same for windows missing blabla

if you hear beep sound  its not mb, if you dont.. its most likely mb

its not cpu, cuz pc wouldnt start if it were cpu,

its probably not ram, cuz its really easy to test them out

i cant recall if there should be sound if mb is alone , if you dont have extra sound adapters, or how to call them , comes with some of cases, plugs in near turn on switch/autio/sata all that area..

so if you dont have that thingy you probably wont hear anything apart, beep boot sound and it hardly gona boot alone..

the problem imho.. is that of what i told in my first post.. its your monitor.. not switching between modes.. vga and dvi..

and since you said that you have both plugged.. as i take to video card.. which is insane..

means you have both plugged to monitor.. thus monitor isnt switching modes..

try what  i said.. if its still isnt working.. well its likely mb

oh as for trying with other monitor, its hardly a comparison

it might be same vga mode if bios wanted dvi.. or if bios wanted vga it might been dvi, and knowing you.. you might had 2 cables on that on too.. damn :D

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

I have had a PSU that was on its way out be able to start the fans spinning but not provide the startup power signal the mobo needs to actually start posting.

I think the easiest next step it to test the PSU out on another PC if you can, it's easier than it sounds cuz you don't have to screw it in to the case or anything just sit it alongside it and plugin just the mobo/video power.

I actually have an Antec 600W power supply that was DOA sitting right next to me so you never know.

If it's not the PSU, RAM, Reset switch, or mobo grounding out, it really does sound like an unlucky mobo and it's unfortunately harder to test mobo/CPU yourself without access to another i7 system :( It's very unlikely to be the CPU, but if they shipped the PC to you assembled with a heavy heatsink on it is possible for the CPU to be damaged in transit by the heatsink pulling it out and pushing it back in going over a bump.