Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I wish there was no "guilds" in this game...

I don't know but, I was hoping for something diferent about this game in terms of guilds.

I dont have a real concept about it, but I would love to see a kind of factions instead of the comon guild systems we have in most MMO's. Something like.... (random number) 50 diferent factions (or reputation based) and all with diferent views about the world.

If they could create a complete system, with no flaws, around this concept... with tons of diferent options, it would offer a huge variaty, instead of the guild "X" wants to fight the evil Sith's... just like the other 200 Republic guilds. 90% of it, will end haveing the same goals or aproach about the game world.

50 factions (just an example), defined by the devs, with diferent objectives would be much more unique than 300 guilds with diferent names.. all fighting for same principles.

So.. you got your character and your own storyline (assuming they doing that, class specific or not, but hopefully with enough personalized options) and that same storyline would open a ton of possibilitys you would find more suitable to your "position" in this war. Starting form that point, those factions members would organize themselfs in ranks, depending in what you achieved already in the game and define their "programs", pvp, pve, crafting, exploration...whatever.

Dunno.. maybe I'm completly missing important "points" in this matter, stuff that would never work, or would be the most ridiculous "theme park" game ever made. But on the other hand, I dont really see any advantage of having 300 guilds with diferent names but all with same goal. "Fight the Sith for the peace in the Galaxy".

Can anyone with years of experience about this issues could open my eyes to reality or somehow this would be a cool or if even, inovate way to "organize" with some logic and even somehow.. forcing people to respect the lore. Don't really wanna see a Star War game with guilds called "Zed is a neon light".

Sorry but my english is very limited and I'm unable to actualy make a logical or detailed concept around this. Thanks for your time ;)

Comments

• markyturnipmarkyturnip Member UncommonPosts: 837

Interesting.

The Chronicles of Spellborn started down that route with the concept of 'houses' - each with their own philosophy and goals. It's a great idea, but not fully implemented yet.

• demalusdemalus Member Posts: 401

Very interesting concept.  I hope some game explores it in the future.  Unfortunately though, I don't think it fits in with BioWare's philosophy for this game very much.

• segynsegyn Member Posts: 234

Well i guess something of that line could work in a new IP but not in starwars the story is already written it is jedi vs sith and that is what the game is all about good vs evil. It isn't about 30 factions fighting it out. 

Spellborn did start down this path and were not going to have guilds but they added guilds which pretty much ruines the house vs house system because now your guild can be comprised of people from all houses. 

• Wookiee6648Wookiee6648 Member Posts: 131

It is a good idea and might work with star wars still.   You would still have the Jedi and the Sith as the main faction, then you would have different sub factions on both sides (kind of like how there are political factions in government's).

That way you have the main goal of either the Sith or Jedi but smaller groups going about achieving the goal in their own way or something like that.

• AntharaAnthara Member Posts: 75
    Originally posted by Wookiee6648

It is a good idea and might work with star wars still.   You would still have the Jedi and the Sith as the main faction, then you would have different sub factions on both sides (kind of like how there are political factions in government's).

That way you have the main goal of either the Sith or Jedi but smaller groups going about achieving the goal in their own way or something like that.

Yeh exactly... we could still have the 2 main factions but haveing some groups inside of those factions. I dunno, but somehow would feel more real than having 300 guilds around with wierd names and no background around it.

• JenuvielJenuviel Member Posts: 960

If we're talking about guilds as in WoW guilds, EVE corporations, LotRO kinships, et cetera, the only reason I've ever joined one was because I liked the members and had similar gameplay interests. The purpose of guilds in games (or so it seems to me) has always been so like-minded people can gather together, rather than live in isolation. If I'm a Rebel, I don't feel like I have to like every Rebel in the game; if I'm in "Guild XYZ," though, I want to like every one of my guildmates- that's why I joined.

I like the premise of static houses or factions designed by the developers that players can join, but I think it would need to be a separate system from the guild system. Anything that large would inevitably have people in it I didn't want to deal with or hear from, and that would ruin the whole point of a social organization; when you feel the need to remove your guild's chat channel from your chat box, it's not much of a guild.

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

They did exactly that in the little known mmo Face of Mankind. There was a police faction, military, mafia, traders, etc..

The problem was that some factions had very few players, so most people ended up working towards the same thing anyways.

The other issue is that not having guilds takes away freedom and options from players which is a risky proposition since guilds have become so central to the genre.

I do however very much understand where you are coming from. Many of my best memories in MMOs have been with groups that are assembled on the fly. As much as guilds assist with organizing players, they also cause stratification of the 'realm' and prevent people from grouping up with randoms. I can't even count how many times I have seen good groups break up because someone's 'guild needed them'.

• TorikTorik Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

If you remove in-game guilds as a feature, people will still form their own guilds and simply base them off websites, and voice chat servers.  It will be cumbersome and hated but people will still do it.   People will still prefre to play with their friends and prefer not to deal with people they do not like.