Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bad quest text options

maniacfoxmaniacfox Member UncommonPosts: 171

NPC: Hey, will you go pick some flowers for me?

Player

Choice 1: Sure I will, you're great.

Choice 2: What, am I your slave? Get lost.

Choice 3: Can we talk about something else?

Choice 4: Goodbye.

Pick 1: Go do the quest, easy, everyone's happy.

Pick 2: Goodbye.

Pick 3: Goodbye.

Pick 4: Goodbye.

ummm.. OK so Funcom are trying to pretend that you are having a meaningful interaction with the NPC when in fact there are only 2 options, do the quest or walk away (with no consequences).

It would be cool if Choice 2 forked the quest line within the game, it would be cool with Choice 3 if there was anything to actually talk about other than Goodbye. It would be cool if Funcom stopped wasting my time and just told it straight up, are you going to do the quest or not?

It's a bit lame. Monkey Island does more meaningful NPC interaction than this.

Comments

• Leonidus0Leonidus0 Member Posts: 97

lmao .. too true.. I often find myself just clicking the first option until I get the quest. I don't even bother reading them anymore. Nothing meaningful is gained from that.

• slim26slim26 Member UncommonPosts: 645

stop trying to make AoC out to be a mess. The devs have fixed alot of problems in the game and now it kicks ass. Don't Morrowind and Oblivion have the same text shit?

• CrashloopCrashloop Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by slim26

stop trying to make AoC out to be a mess. The devs have fixed alot of problems in the game and now it kicks ass. Don't Morrowind and Oblivion have the same text shit?

If I remember correct oblivion was quite good when it came to quest text and alternatives. Also how choices you did affected how people looked at you was good. To get this right in an MMO is probably hard, but there would be nice if the NPC's had more dialougue options even tho if it didn't really lead somewhere.  I doubt it ever was a priority tho. :P

Playing: Battlefield - Bad company (Xbox360) Arma2, DFO (PC)
    On my radar: TSW, MO
    MMO's played: SWG (pre cu/cu), WoW, AoC, WAR, DFO, Planetside
    MMO's that I have tested: Lotro, L2, Aion, Ryzom

• maniacfoxmaniacfox Member UncommonPosts: 171

I didn't say AoC is a mess, I actually think it's a pretty good game at the moment.

But pretending to have meaningful NPC conversation choices when in fact there aren't any is dumb and as a player I just feel a little bit like I'm being strung along... as Leonidas0 said, now I am used to it I just hit 1 all the time.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by Crashloop

If I remember correct oblivion was quite good when it came to quest text and alternatives. Also how choices you did affected how people looked at you was good. To get this right in an MMO is probably hard, but there would be nice if the NPC's had more dialougue options even tho if it didn't really lead somewhere.  I doubt it ever was a priority tho. :P

Seems as if Turbine is making a attempt to go in this direction a bit now. There is a quest in Lothlorien where a dwarf tries to get you to go poach some of the elves protected deer. It is tempting because the quest rewards are pretty darn sweet. However as soon as you accept the quest a elf on the edge of cam has a quest indicator light up and he tells you that if the dwarf was trying to con you into doing something wrong you should go tell another elf about it. Noting too complicated but you have to decide whether the quest reward is worth losing faction points over.

Also in Moria you get faction loot and you need to decide whether to spend it to build up your miner faction or guard faction in Moria first.

Anyway I agree trying to do anytrhing like that  tends to get a lot more complicated ina MMO than in a single player RPG.

I miss DAoC