Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Did You Stop Playing EQ...and Would You Pick it Up Again?

2»

Comments

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170
    Originally posted by deye

i think I left after GoD and come back on SoD (since nov 08). I have to agree, all the changes in SoD such as mercenary, defiant gear, etc. make it a lot more enjoyable for casual player with mininum downtime. Group with RL players when get a chance, and go with Merc when couldn't find RL player. There is virtually no downtime anymore in EQ.

Deye

Novice Member

That's just the facts, this player joined these forums after this post was made. Some companies have employees to create positve hype for games on these forums. I am not saying this player is doing this but you should be aware it happens. It is up to you the reader to decide whether or not someone is doing this.

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332

Tried to pick it up again a month ago  but the gameplay was so unrewarding and the interface so atrocious that I just couldn't get past the first few levels.

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • neschrianeschria Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

I keep seeing complaints about the UI, but I am not sure what the problem is. I've certainly played other games with worse and less flexible UIs. Sure, it takes me maybe 20 minutes to get all the windows opened and set up right, and I do add a couple of custom pieces (generally a player window with experience bars and stats on it, and sometimes different group and pet windows), but I really don't understand what people hate so much. (This is actually a question... I know it lacks question marks, but I am just confused.) 

This is where I draw the line: __________________.

• imitatorimitator Member Posts: 29
    Originally posted by qombi

Originally posted by deye

i think I left after GoD and come back on SoD (since nov 08). I have to agree, all the changes in SoD such as mercenary, defiant gear, etc. make it a lot more enjoyable for casual player with mininum downtime. Group with RL players when get a chance, and go with Merc when couldn't find RL player. There is virtually no downtime anymore in EQ.

Deye

Novice Member

That's just the facts, this player joined these forums after this post was made. Some companies have employees to create positve hype for games on these forums. I am not saying this player is doing this but you should be aware it happens. It is up to you the reader to decide whether or not someone is doing this.

Yeah, but unfortunately I said the same thing he did, and I made my account long before this post. 

The game has changed alot, and for the better. Downtime is at the lowest its been ever, with it taking 3 min max at any given time to med to full mana/health/end, and mercenaries meaning that you never have to sit around doing nothing because there isnt a tank or cleric on. 

The newest group gear from the last two expansions were MAJOR power boosts compared to anything found in the group level before. We are talking going from 200hp ish gear to 400+ from group doable content. Access to all the major focii, the changes to focii location making it so the same focii are found in the same slots always, and the general increase in levels means that alot of people are able to do content they were never able to do before. 

I was shocked at how much content my low end group geared mage was able to do when I came back into the game and spent some of my banked pp on new gear. Cheap, by the way, with most peices costing less then 10k per slot, outside of jewerly and pri/sec/range. Gear with 300-350h/m/e, and the full range of neccessary focii and mod2/3's. They have provided via a merchant in the Plane of Knowledge jewerly and offslot defiant(thats the name of the new leg up gear) peices, including pet focii on earrings for the pet classes. Pretty decent focii too, which for any pet class is a major boon. 

I personally believe that if you are judging EQ based on the game you played even as little as before the last expansion, but especially if its been longer, then you are missing out and making judgements on a game other than the one we have currently. The changes from the last expansion, SoD, and the one previous to that, SoF, have changed the game quite a bit, for the better, and enough so to make it worth another look if you havent played in a year or more. 

• bmdevinebmdevine Member Posts: 429
    Originally posted by neschria

I keep seeing complaints about the UI, but I am not sure what the problem is. I've certainly played other games with worse and less flexible UIs. Sure, it takes me maybe 20 minutes to get all the windows opened and set up right, and I do add a couple of custom pieces (generally a player window with experience bars and stats on it, and sometimes different group and pet windows), but I really don't understand what people hate so much. (This is actually a question... I know it lacks question marks, but I am just confused.) 

It's probably just not as intuitive as the WoW-based line of UIs that most games copy nowadays.  It does bear some similarities, and Blizzard probably borrowed some ideas from it, but it (1) doesn't have pretty pre-made pictures for the skills, and (2) requires extra work that takes time to figure out.  There's a learning curve involved in the EQ interface that you don't have in transferring between games that have borrowed heavily from Blizzard's ideas, and that probably turns some people off.

I recently decided to give EQ a shot, since it's been about 5 years or so since I last played, and it was a little frustrating at first, but I've got the basics down and am enjoying it.  It's got a charm that's kind of hard to explain.  The pace of combat can be a bit slower, but the little downtime in between gives me a good chance to take a quick break and deal with RL issues instead of being stuck at the keyboard for hours on end without a break.  Some people might not value that, but those who want to grind non-stop can always run with a merc.

The graphics are dated, but so-called advancements in graphics have not always been for the better, and there are still a lot of people who play 2D games that look like they're from the 80s or early 90s, so EQ's are far from the bottom of the barrel in that department.  The only thing about the graphics I've found so far that really annoys me is the choppiness of the legs on the Vah Shir when they run, which disappoints me, because I used to have a Vah Shir rogue that I really enjoyed.  I guess I won't be playing any furries any time soon.

If anyone's on The Tribunal and needs someone to run with at low levels, just let me know.

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

Why did I quit?  To play EQ2.

Would I go back?  Probably not.