Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Played long ago, looking for some new info :)

Amy571Amy571 Member Posts: 59

I first played this game back in October of 2003 (I actually bought it the day it was released and began playing then), and I played it non stop until around the end of 2005 to move on and try some other games. Last I came back was in 2007 to check out the Aht Urghan EP and see some of the newest additions. It has been awhile now and my fiance and I are both kind of looking to return to one of our older MMOs, as none of the newer ones are appealing to us or keeping us entertained, and we are curious what others were thinking of the game now and if it is still thriving.

My fiance and I actually played the game at different times and apart from each other, and so have our characters on different servers. I was on Seraph and he was on Fenrir, so one thing we are trying to decide on, is which one of us should transfer. Which server is doing the best in terms of population/balance? Or should we both move to an entirely new server?

Also, last I really played there were a lot of problems with bots (fishing mostly) and RMT, and pretty much everyone was buying gil, which made auction prices soar and getting higher end gear difficult (I remember when scorpion harness was over 12mil...when I checked again in 2007 I believe it was down to 2mil). I am wondering if this is still a problem in the game, or if it is easier to make money and keep up with people.

The game was always party dependant , and you had to rely on others for help and advancement. This is actually one of the reasons we are wanting to return. A lot of new games are really lacking in the MM part of MMO, and no one seems to want to team or play together, just solo. On Seraph, at least when I played, most everyone was really helpful and friendly, and although it could take a long time to get parties going, there was always someone to run around with and talk to while waiting, is it still like this?

At this point I have a wall of text, so I apologize for that, but my last question is about the new "add-on scenarios" or whatever they are I am seeing, was curious what they were and how they worked and if they I would need to get them if i chose to return.

Any helpful info, advice or opinions would be great. I am dying for a game I can get back into and a game community I can become a part of again, FFXi was always fun for me in that way.

Comments

• SatimasuSatimasu Member UncommonPosts: 900
    Originally posted by Amy571

I first played this game back in October of 2003 (I actually bought it the day it was released and began playing then), and I played it non stop until around the end of 2005 to move on and try some other games. Last I came back was in 2007 to check out the Aht Urghan EP and see some of the newest additions. It has been awhile now and my fiance and I are both kind of looking to return to one of our older MMOs, as none of the newer ones are appealing to us or keeping us entertained, and we are curious what others were thinking of the game now and if it is still thriving.
    My fiance and I actually played the game at different times and apart from each other, and so have our characters on different servers. I was on Seraph and he was on Fenrir, so one thing we are trying to decide on, is which one of us should transfer. Which server is doing the best in terms of population/balance? Or should we both move to an entirely new server? 
    Just choose a server and one of you transfer to that server. I'm sure either one is just as good as the other. If one has all the friends still playing, even better. I can't speak for their population because I'm on Kujata, which you could come to if you'd like and I'd help you learn things over again if you needed. Population isn't so much of a huge issue, none of the servers are dead or anything.
    Also, last I really played there were a lot of problems with bots (fishing mostly) and RMT, and pretty much everyone was buying gil, which made auction prices soar and getting higher end gear difficult (I remember when scorpion harness was over 12mil...when I checked again in 2007 I believe it was down to 2mil). I am wondering if this is still a problem in the game, or if it is easier to make money and keep up with people.
    Not everyone buying gil, just certain people which shot up prices for everything else, but man were those 17k a stacks moats nice. Everything is back to normal, they've all but stamped out RMT. Anyone that saved their gil from there made out like a bandit.
    The game was always party dependant , and you had to rely on others for help and advancement. This is actually one of the reasons we are wanting to return. A lot of new games are really lacking in the MM part of MMO, and no one seems to want to team or play together, just solo. On Seraph, at least when I played, most everyone was really helpful and friendly, and although it could take a long time to get parties going, there was always someone to run around with and talk to while waiting, is it still like this?
    It's more solo friendly now, but still very much party dependant. Also, Level Sync makes things much easier since you can sync to lower levels to party.
    At this point I have a wall of text, so I apologize for that, but my last question is about the new "add-on scenarios" or whatever they are I am seeing, was curious what they were and how they worked and if they I would need to get them if i chose to return.
    Don't need it for anything at all. Just extra story and gear stuff.
    Any helpful info, advice or opinions would be great. I am dying for a game I can get back into and a game community I can become a part of again, FFXi was always fun for me in that way.

To be the best, you must help each other become the best.
    FFXI Character: Satimasu
    FFXI Server: Valefor
    FFXIV Character: Tamorae Fonteil