Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need Some Computer Help

LedZep89LedZep89 Member Posts: 30

Ok, I'm not a wiz with computers, so I need some help finding one that runs games such as Lord of the Rings online, with it's highest graphics options, well.

Any links would be helpful.

Thanks.

Comments

• shalldoomshalldoom Member UncommonPosts: 106

Hmm i can help if you can tell me how much you are planning to pay for the new PC. Cuz there are tons of them that can run the game on its max settings, it realy depends on your budget.

• LedZep89LedZep89 Member Posts: 30

lol Start with the cheapest one and if you could, give me a couple links so I can look into it. I won't be able to afford the biggest, most expensive one i already know

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    Originally posted by Jallen02

lol Start with the cheapest one and if you could, give me a couple links so I can look into it. I won't be able to afford the biggest, most expensive one i already know

Ideally you would say "I don't want to spend more then 800 dollars" and then we would come back with a build around that amount.  If you say start with the cheapest, I can build you a PC that would run LOTRO for 350 dollars, but you wouldn't be happy with it.

Ok sorry about that. let's try not to go over $1000

• drag9999drag9999 Member Posts: 252

AMD Phenom II 955 Black Edition $245

DFI LP 790FXB-M3H5 $170

OCZ Special Ops Urban Elite 4GB $69

2x Sapphire HD4770 $220

OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W $100

Western Digital Raptor 74GB $80

Seagate Barracuda 250GB $48

Antec Three Hundred $55

There you go, roughly $1000.

This should run any MMORPG out there and nearly all single player games (except for Crysis at a 2560x1600 resolution and 16xAA).

I think I love you.

• shalldoomshalldoom Member UncommonPosts: 106

Here is an intel PC, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227123

If you can build the PC yourself or know someone who can then go for drag9999 build.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Ideally you would say "I don't want to spend more then 800 dollars" and then we would come back with a build around that amount.  If you say start with the cheapest, I can build you a PC that would run LOTRO for 350 dollars, but you wouldn't be happy with it.

Heh we have an old machine sitting around with a 6600gt in it that runs lotro and doesn't even have to be at the lowest settings, that game engine can scale surprisingly far. :)

You don't necessarily need the raptor in drags build though - hard to sell me on fast HD's when working on a budget, but it is nice if you want it. You could put 20 bucks more into the high capacity drive though for a 640gb or so.

• drag9999drag9999 Member Posts: 252
    Originally posted by noquarter

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Heh we have an old machine sitting around with a 6600gt in it that runs lotro and doesn't even have to be at the lowest settings, that game engine can scale surprisingly far. :)

You don't necessarily need the raptor in drags build though - hard to sell me on fast HD's when working on a budget, but it is nice if you want it. You could put 20 bucks more into the high capacity drive though for a 640gb or so.

For daily use Raptors are better performance than a 2-disk RAID0 setup and since this system wasn't really budget, thought I'd throw that in. I guess you could, but that was the first HD I found that was quite cheap, didn't really research much.

Ok, some guys I work with told me I should go with this as a processor www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx

and then an Intel motherboard, which I haven't chosen yet.

Thoughts?

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Bullshit :P

Those friends are typical customers..(I work in a pc shop)  bigger=better=faster .. well it aint alwasy like that.

The cpu is fairly fast but this kind of system has manny down sides.

Icore systeems need 64bit software 32bit wont fully use the cpu and restict your memory to 4gb while the Icore begs for more. (not that you need it but its needed for preformance max whit a Icore)

64bit software is gaming hell. great for Video tho.

Go whit a "simple" but fast D or Q core cpu.  atleast 3ghz , dont pay 200,- more for just a 3.4ghz  ..you wont realy notis it.

3gb of memory will do for most systems as 4gb aint suported (even vista aint using 4gb, only shows you have it, its good for the speed boost having it dualchannel) 

The only reason to buy a Icore now is to be ready for the next gen games that fully suport 64bit software.

Alwasy keep in mind how you use your computer, games,video,sound, they all have specific hardware and you need full suport of 64bit software on those aswell.

If you got no cleu about computers and just wana game forgot Icore 64bit systems, those are for the knowhow people only atm.

Ok thanks for the input Eladi. I'll most likely go with the AMD.

Also am looking at monitors. I want a 19"+ monitor thats no more than $200. I'm currently leaning towards this one.

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx

Thoughts?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

• Sir_DripSir_Drip Member Posts: 133

Though    the Antec 900 and 1200 are better cases for cooling!

• JackcoltJackcolt Member UncommonPosts: 2,170

The Antec 900 will probably give you the highest CFM/dollar. Quality case for cheap money.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Good things also come in smaller packages, esp if you like to lan party.  www.hypersonic-pc.com/pages/nighthawk_ats.html

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258
    Originally posted by solareus

The 900 looked to "xtreme" for me, I like the sleek simple look of the 300. Blus I'm not a fan of plexicause it absorbs heat , unlike metals which transfer it.

Yeah they seemed a bit to much for me as well. I have a good old Super Lanboy, I never had any problems with the plexi getting hot. But Im in a basement where its pretty much always cool.

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911

How would you feel about a reconditioned PC - a PC that is second hand but cleaned up etc. I first bought one about 5 years ago and it was dirt cheap even though at the time it was a good spec, so I've been buying them ever since, I couldn't build a PC that cheap. I can get a really good spec intel quad duo 2 with 4 gigs for around $450 USD 12 month warrenty. The only problem I have is that the onboard GFX cards and awful PSU you get with them.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

I reccomend a Phenom II X3 720 BE and an Asus M4A78T-E, great value and will allow you to play anything with options to upgrade in the future. As for Infitel, the i7 965 is the best home CPU on the market (but costs £800-£900 minimum) however the 920 has a clear competitor in the X4 955 BE. The difference for me is that AMD systems don't charge you extra for a bloated motherboard, in the UK you're paying a minnimum of £100 more on an Intel motherboard and in my opinion that's just unacceptable.

The whore i7 maybe a tempting mistress, however the fees for her place of residence are far to high to justify the pleasures she offers!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• thorwoodthorwood Member Posts: 485

I could not run LoTRO at highest quality video settings,  and had to turn the settings down.  My PC randomly rebooted.  I turned down the video quality and the problem was solved.

LoTRO's official help advised that Vista32 systems in combination with graphics cards that had over 512Mb memory were having these problems. Apparently there is some problem with how 32 bit Vista manages memory. I would go with 64 bit Vista unless you have older software that will not run on 64 bit vista.

At the time I had this problem, Microsoft's official site advised that you cannot upgrade directly  from 32 bit Vista to 64 bit Vista and you have to buy 64 bit Vista. 

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977
    Originally posted by thorwood

I could not run LoTRO at highest quality video settings,  and had to turn the settings down.  My PC randomly rebooted.  I turned down the video quality and the problem was solved.
    LoTRO's official help advised that Vista32 systems in combination with graphics cards that had over 512Mb memory were having these problems. Apparently there is some problem with how 32 bit Vista manages memory. I would go with 64 bit Vista unless you have older software that will not run on 64 bit vista.
    At the time I had this problem, Microsoft's official site advised that you cannot upgrade directly  from 32 bit Vista to 64 bit Vista and you have to buy 64 bit Vista. 

Get Windows 7 RC 64 bit for free, not sure how it'll work with LotRO but it's free to try and is working well for me ATM.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

I don't know if it was different at the time, but currently Microsoft says any Vista 32 key will work with Vista 64 as well you just need the disc to install it. They provide a Vista 64 DVD for ~$10 for shipping and such if you can't find someone with a disc you can use: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/1033/ordermedia/default.mspx

Their site does say you can't upgrade from 32bit to 64bit Vista but they mean you have to do a clean install, not that you can't procure and use Vista64 if you own Vista32.

I did experience the same problem you had in LoTRO, didn't they fix that issue in either SP1 or some other hotfix though?

Originally posted by drag9999
    Originally posted by noquarter Heh we have an old machine sitting around with a 6600gt in it that runs lotro and doesn't even have to be at the lowest settings, that game engine can scale surprisingly far. :)You don't necessarily need the raptor in drags build though - hard to sell me on fast HD's when working on a budget, but it is nice if you want it. You could put 20 bucks more into the high capacity drive though for a 640gb or so.
    For daily use Raptors are better performance than a 2-disk RAID0 setup and since this system wasn't really budget, thought I'd throw that in. I guess you could, but that was the first HD I found that was quite cheap, didn't really research much.

Oh yea, I'm over RAID0, the Raptor is clearly more useful for normal usage than a RAID0 - just saying the performance you get from $80 of HD only during disk access isn't that solid of an investment to me over investing $80 more into the video or cpu (especially video) since those are constant performance boosters.

• thorwoodthorwood Member Posts: 485
    Originally posted by noquarter

I don't know if it was different at the time, but currently Microsoft says any Vista 32 key will work with Vista 64 as well you just need the disc to install it. They provide a Vista 64 DVD for ~$10 for shipping and such if you can't find someone with a disc you can use: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/1033/ordermedia/default.mspx

Their site does say you can't upgrade from 32bit to 64bit Vista but they mean you have to do a clean install, not that you can't procure and use Vista64 if you own Vista32.

I did experience the same problem you had in LoTRO, didn't they fix that issue in either SP1 or some other hotfix though?

It looks like Microsoft have changed the purchase cost.  When I looked,  if you had the OEM 32 Vista (the 32 bit Vista license for Vista installed on new computers), you had to pay full price to switch to the 64 bit version.

I might be wrong, but a clean install means wipe your hard drive and reinstall everything from scratch?  That is fairly daunting, particularly for online games that have to be download, and even if you have disks for an online game, they are usually so out of date that the amount of patching required is the same as downloading and patching the full game.  For a lot of games, just backing up the game files may not be enough to get the game to run on clean system.

The other installation alternative was to install xp and update to Vista 64 bit.

The fix was not in SP1 as that is really old.  Might have been a hotfix later.  My graphic settings were reduced to a lower quality setting not long after the release of Moria and I have never tried the highest setting since.

For me, I am hoping that Windows 7 will install over Vista 32 without having to do a clean install.